RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nancy Lieberman's top 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/11/06 6:36 pm    ::: Nancy Lieberman's top 25 Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=lieberman_nancy&id=2620995

PostPosted: 10/11/06 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State higher than Rutgers? Boy, her crack is just getting better and better....(or worse and worse...)

I also feel her Pac 10 schools are WAY too high. I like Oklahoma at #2, though.

PostPosted: 10/11/06 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I disagree with a majority of it..

Purdue and Oklahoma, as well as OSU is still high...my top four
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Duke
4. Tenn

UNC has the best player in the country right now (Not most talanted, best) and were #1 for a majority of last season...

PostPosted: 10/12/06 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her top 4 teams aren't bad, and most of them are interchangeable:

MD- returning champ.
UNC-regular season dominant team.
Stanford-Great recruiting class. West coast candice is pretty stellar.
Oklahoma- Paris. Olajuwon. Paris. Thompson. That's quite a frontcourt.

Her next tier of teams are a little bit...nancy?

Ohio State
Duke
Tennessee
Georgia

I'm not sure about the Georgia love. Tasha is wonderful, but Baker and Kendrick are gone, and as good as Hardrick and Chambers are...I don't see them getting through this season without some hiccups.

Ohio State plays for January...I would have moved Duke and TN up, and moved georgia 2-3 spots down. TN- the only thing that concerns me is outside shooting. Clunky offense and all, Candace Parker alone is worth 10 or so games.

UConn- probably top 8 material. Talent-wise, their frontcourt could be one of the best in the business. Charles is a trooper, and Houston didn't get all those accolades with smoke and mirrors. Hunter,if back to 80% of her old self is better than most college centers.

The rest of Nancy's List makes my eyes dizzy and children cry...pretty sure Ann Meyers and her share the same dealer. Rutgers @ 20, Michigan State @ 17, Vanderbilt @ 18, but Cal @ 12?

Detox? Party of one? Detox?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/12/06 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Duke
4. Tenn

Duke loses Currie, Williams, and Foley, but is in the top four? Uh, no.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/12/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Duke
4. Tenn

You're such a mope. Try a positive spin...

"Wow, she has alot of faith in Gail's coaching!"

...or something like that.

PostPosted: 10/12/06 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Duke 3rd? After losing its top two scorers, two of its top rebounders, and a key cog off the bench, while not bringing in a top-five recruiting class?

By comparison, UConn lost two key seniors (Turner and Strother), but return quite a bit and add the HS POY in the post, not to mention a healthy Brittany Hunter, who was the HS POY in her recruiting class.

Then there is TN, Stanford, and Oklahoma...

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/12/06 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
1. UNC
2. Maryland
3. Duke
4. Tenn

I agree. Oklahoma returns a strong nucleus and adds some more solid players and they aren't in the top four? That is just wrong IMO.

PostPosted: 10/12/06 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Duke 3rd? After losing its top two scorers, two of its top rebounders, and a key cog off the bench, while not bringing in a top-five recruiting class?

By comparison, UConn lost two key seniors (Turner and Strother), but return quite a bit and add the HS POY in the post, not to mention a healthy Brittany Hunter, who was the HS POY in her recruiting class.

Then there is TN, Stanford, and Oklahoma...

No, to be honest, I think Uconn will be better this year, much better. I loved last years seniors, but they weren't leaders...and couldn't win without D...In tight games you could almost see them looking for Diana to win it for them...I used to pray that at the end of games Geno would set up a play for Mel, or just let Renee take some shot..

Duke, Yeah, I think you are top four, possibly three. Now, I haven't seen much of Duke, but from what I have..I think Harding is one of the best point guards in the country (IMO, the most important position in college) And you have a whole lot of talent, even without Currie..

But granted, I did forget Gail was coaching, so maybe I will drop them a few slots.. Very Happy

Also, that's why Oklahoma wasn't in my top four. Their guards aren't great, and you need those..

PostPosted: 10/12/06 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

No, to be honest, I think Uconn will be better this year, much better. I loved last years seniors, but they weren't leaders...and couldn't win without D...In tight games you could almost see them looking for Diana to win it for them...I used to pray that at the end of games Geno would set up a play for Mel, or just let Renee take some shot..

I totally agree! Very Happy

Atlanta: Please don't take Jamie Carey in the expansion draft!!!!
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/12/06 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy just hexed the entire Pac-10 (minus Stanford, which seems to be resistant to her hexes).

Mathies to LA 2013
hooper1

PostPosted: 10/13/06 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington and Cal are ranked WAY to high. USC should move up above Kentucky. Tennessee should be ranked higher than Duke. Michigan State should be above USC.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/13/06 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Duke, Yeah, I think you are top four, possibly three. Now, I haven't seen much of Duke, but from what I have..I think Harding is one of the best point guards in the country (IMO, the most important position in college) And you have a whole lot of talent, even without Currie..

But granted, I did forget Gail was coaching, so maybe I will drop them a few slots.. Very Happy

You really need to stop believing message board rumors about talent and coaching and actually do some fact checking and research for a change. Seriously.

And that is the nicest way I can put it...

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 10/13/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm having trouble gagging down the notion that cp3 (Candace Parker) is a better player than CP3 (Courtney Paris), especially after the numbers both of them put up last season. At some point, actual performance should count more than potential or expectations. Parker may prove to be "all that" this season, but as of right now, Paris is clearly the better player, and clearly would be the better player to build a team around.

I don't have much quarrel with Nancy's top four, but apart from Stanford, I am always suspicious of highly rated Pac-10 teams.

I think OHST will win the B10, but I'm not sure that Nancy doesn't have them rated a bit high. They might be a one-dimensional team.

(The B10 should be interesting. On paper, OHST should win the conference. But Purdue has some talent. And don't forget Iowa. They don't have any bona fide stars, but they tend to play smart. They may steal a few games, and if they don't contend for the conference title, they could be the king-makers; a few seasons ago, a loss at Iowa City decided the conference title between Minnesota and PSU. The same thing could happen this season, because nobody is so talent-laden that they couldn't lose a road game against a middle of the pack opponent.)

PostPosted: 10/13/06 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Oklahoma guards aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They are servicable, and when you players like Paris, Paris and Rush, servicable is all you need.

PostPosted: 10/13/06 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

You really need to stop believing message board rumors about talent and coaching and actually do some fact checking and research for a change. Seriously.

And that is the nicest way I can put it...

Mercfan - I agree with you

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/14/06 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You admit you haven't seen much of Duke, aren't familiar with their post players (in PM), don't know about the recruiting...but you still think they should be 3rd? And after losing the top two scorers and two of the top four rebounders?

7th or 8th.

PurdueBBall3

PostPosted: 10/14/06 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Sorry, but I'm having trouble gagging down the notion that cp3 (Candace Parker) is a better player than CP3 (Courtney Paris), especially after the numbers both of them put up last season. At some point, actual performance should count more than potential or expectations. Parker may prove to be "all that" this season, but as of right now, Paris is clearly the better player, and clearly would be the better player to build a team around.

I don't have much quarrel with Nancy's top four, but apart from Stanford, I am always suspicious of highly rated Pac-10 teams.

I think OHST will win the B10, but I'm not sure that Nancy doesn't have them rated a bit high. They might be a one-dimensional team.

(The B10 should be interesting. On paper, OHST should win the conference. But Purdue has some talent. And don't forget Iowa. They don't have any bona fide stars, but they tend to play smart. They may steal a few games, and if they don't contend for the conference title, they could be the king-makers; a few seasons ago, a loss at Iowa City decided the conference title between Minnesota and PSU. The same thing could happen this season, because nobody is so talent-laden that they couldn't lose a road game against a middle of the pack opponent.)

Uhhhhhhhhhhh. Excuse me? Why do you think OSU "should win" the Big Ten? Purdue stands every bit as much of a go at the title as the Buckeyes. I watched the Boilers practice this afternoon. Coach Versyp is doing a wonderful job and I saw some VERY VERY fine moves, intensity, and speed. It's my opinion that Purdue will take the conference title this year. I realize I'm partial, but even as thin as our bench is this year (though with tryouts it should be deeper), I see no strong enough answers to the Gearlds, Lawless, Wisdom-Hylton, and Malone combo this year and that's a prediction I'll happily take to the bank right now.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/14/06 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
You admit you haven't seen much of Duke, aren't familiar with their post players (in PM), don't know about the recruiting...but you still think they should be 3rd? And after losing the top two scorers and two of the top four rebounders?

7th or 8th.

They have the best backcourt in the country. That is worth more than people give credit..As I stated, I'm not sure about posts..but as you have stated, "two out of the top 4" rebounders, it sounds like their posts are pretty darn good. It's a matter of opinion, I believe, in the college game, guards are the most important position, Duke has the best, and from what I've seen from the team..(and I don't know who was seniors last year, but as you've stated that only two of your top four....and they can't be your top two, because you would have just stated that.. rebounders have left, thus your posts are at least decent, most likely better than average..

Oklahome..nope sorry, Oklahoma's guards let a sophmore Mel Thomas beat them...And despite the fact that she's my favorite player, the fact that Oklahoma's guards couldn't figure out "just follow her around" tells me that they'll get beat by a team with great guards.

Anyway, we'll see when the season is over..

PostPosted: 10/14/06 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

7th or 8th.

They have the best backcourt in the country. That is worth more than people give credit..As I stated, I'm not sure about posts..but as you have stated, "two out of the top 4" rebounders, it sounds like their posts are pretty darn good. It's a matter of opinion, I believe, in the college game, guards are the most important position, Duke has the best, and from what I've seen from the team..(and I don't know who was seniors last year, but as you've stated that only two of your top four....and they can't be your top two, because you would have just stated that.. rebounders have left, thus your posts are at least decent, most likely better than average..

Oklahome..nope sorry, Oklahoma's guards let a sophmore Mel Thomas beat them...And despite the fact that she's my favorite player, the fact that Oklahoma's guards couldn't figure out "just follow her around" tells me that they'll get beat by a team with great guards.

Anyway, we'll see when the season is over..

A. Duke does not have the best back court in the nation.

B. Oklahoma played UCONN at the beginning of the season. I watched many Oklahoma games and the guards improved greatly throughout the season.

PostPosted: 10/16/06 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
They have the best backcourt in the country. That is worth more than people give credit..As I stated, I'm not sure about posts..but as you have stated, "two out of the top 4" rebounders, it sounds like their posts are pretty darn good. It's a matter of opinion, I believe, in the college game, guards are the most important position, Duke has the best, and from what I've seen from the team..(and I don't know who was seniors last year, but as you've stated that only two of your top four....and they can't be your top two, because you would have just stated that.. rebounders have left, thus your posts are at least decent, most likely better than average.

"...it sounds like..."

"...and I don't know..."

Again, you admit you don't have much knowledge about the team and you won't do the research, but that doesn't stop you from ranking Duke 3rd?

Last edited by CamrnCrz1974 on 10/16/06 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
KatValeska

PostPosted: 10/16/06 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*inner-imp vigorously rubbing two sticks together over some dry straw*

I reckon this is a good thread to pose the question, so rather than start a seperate thread - I ask y'all - which team's fans on this forum are the most defensive about their favorite wcbb team?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/16/06 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:

I reckon this is a good thread to pose the question, so rather than start a seperate thread - I ask y'all - which team's fans on this forum are the most defensive about their favorite wcbb team?

It is not an issue of being defensive. I just get tired of people whose only argument is "well, I am entitled to my opinion," when they don't bother to do research about incoming recruits, graduating seniors, etc., etc., etc.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/16/06 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
KatValeska wrote:

It is not an issue of being defensive. I just get tired of people whose only argument is "well, I am entitled to my opinion," when they don't bother to do research about incoming recruits, graduating seniors, etc., etc., etc.

I'm not standing up for anyone, but some peoples opinions go on gut feelings. There was nothing to back up Maryland winning the title last year. Sometimes people's opinions are based on facts, sometimes they are based on a gut feeling. I guess it depends on the person.

PostPosted: 10/16/06 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
KatValeska wrote:

and in this case, Cam is DOWN PLAYING how good his team may be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: