RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opal squad of 30 named
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:54 am    ::: Opal squad of 30 named Reply Reply with quote

http://www.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=9526&orgID=1&Oname=BA&O1c=8&O10c=8

Nearly everyone worthy of mention is there. Tully is a notable omission - is she retired from international b'ball or was she robbed again? Evil or Very Mad Even Alison Tranquilli is still there! I'm sure Cam and rAf will be happy that Jess Foley made it. I would have liked to have seen BA think outside the circle a bit and name Louise Emeagi and Marita Payne of Auburn and Hanna Zavecz of Wyoming to the squad.

Last edited by Keegan on 03/09/05 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tranquilli & Boyd: there's 2 wasted spots right there.

Tully probably told Jan to shove it.

PostPosted: 03/09/05 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whittle (isn't she like retired from international ball?) and Nat Porter (not a fan) are also dubious in my book. Marita Payne is like a young Jenny Whittle anyways Laughing
hellcat24

PostPosted: 03/09/05 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least it's Carla and not C-by Razz

I was told the other day that Tully made herself unavailable. I'd say given the disappointment of not being picked in Athens, and with Jan being reappointed, she decided to focus on the Fever.

I'll try and find out for sure if this is the case, but it would have to be for her to not even make the squad even when Veal did. Shocked

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/05 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hellcat24 wrote:
I was told the other day that Tully made herself unavailable. I'd say given the disappointment of not being picked in Athens, and with Jan being reappointed, she decided to focus on the Fever.

(translation: she told Jan to shove it)

PostPosted: 03/09/05 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

(translation: she told Jan to shove it)

ROFLMAO!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/09/05 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to see Jessica Foley on there. Training camp this summer will be a great way to prepare for her senior year. Last summer, she worked out with Sandy Brondello and spent time training with the Bulleen Boomers.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/09/05 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

are we going to have a repeat of last year with players flying out of the WNBA to go play one tourney game? That had to have been a real drain on PT last year.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
are we going to have a repeat of last year with players flying out of the WNBA to go play one tourney game? That had to have been a real drain on PT last year.

There isn't much of an international schedule this year. I doubt LJ, PT and the gang are likely to give up their time for a meaningless international tournament in China. There might be issues next year.
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
There might be issues next year.

True. When are the World Championships?

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe they're in early September. There may be issues with timing of the season again (start and finish earlier?).
BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you Keegan. Start at the end of April/beginning of May and end mid-August? Teams will probably want to practice for a week or two (maybe more).

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/09/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Australians don't need much training together anyways. The best Jan can come up with is a frickin' pick and roll.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/05 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The best Jan can come up with is a frickin' pick and roll.

For those of you not familiar with opals basketball, that play is where Jan picks Alison Tranquilli to be in the starting lineup, and the rest of the squad rolls their eyes

PostPosted: 03/09/05 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing It also has a variation where Carla Boyd is picked in the squad ... it gets the same result Exclamation

internationalbball

PostPosted: 03/10/05 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a waste for the whole team every year they say they are going to beat TEAM USA but they never do I am not imporessed with there National Team at all they play for 2nd or 3rd all the time the Russians are better to me I think

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/10/05 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

internationalbball wrote:
the Russians are better to me I think

Who has silver and who has bronze?

As for playing for second and third, can't argue with that - it's BA's mantra. I should clarify that there is nothing wrong with the players' efforts but they're hampered by a sh*t administration and sh*t coaching.

Last edited by Keegan on 03/10/05 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
NancyAmazon

PostPosted: 03/10/05 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

internationalbball wrote:
It is a waste for the whole team every year they say they are going to beat TEAM USA but they never do I am not imporessed with there National Team at all they play for 2nd or 3rd all the time the Russians are better to me I think

Well BA might play for second and Jan might play for second, but it's for sure that the players don't.

Maybe with an extra 200 million people we could make up those 11 points that were the difference between silver and gold, what do you reckon?

BTW - I'd buy tickets if you would promise to walk up to Lauren Jackson and say to her face that the Opals are "a waste".

~N

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/10/05 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NancyAmazon wrote:
I'd buy tickets if you would promise to walk up to Lauren Jackson and say to her face that the Opals are "a waste".

I would too!

When we do win in 2008, it will be all the sweeter Wink

*woof woof!*
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/10/05 2:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering Lauren Jackson had her worst game of the Olympics and Australia only lost by 11 points (with its best players under 25 years of age), the US should be afraid. The 2006 World Championships will be no cakewalk.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/10/05 6:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The 2006 World Championships will be no cakewalk.

That depends entirely on whether Van is still in charge.

PostPosted: 03/10/05 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NancyAmazon wrote:
Maybe with an extra 200 million people we could make up those 11 points that were the difference between silver and gold, what do you reckon?

The Chinese have several hundred million on us, but their team still doesn't worry me.

PostPosted: 03/10/05 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van will be well out of the picture and the front-runner for the HC job next time is a coach that knows Lauren's game as well as anybody on the face of the earth.

I happen to think that TEAM USA will be as successful in '08 and probably in '12. Taurasi will be running the team with Cash/Catchings on the wing and Ohlde and Tiffany Jackson enforcing inside. Yes, The Grand Dame will no doubt play out her Swan Song in Beijing, but I will take the likes of Ford, Riley, and a few other big girls we have in the pipeline to keep the US strong inside. And if you think Beard, Whalen and Augustus will not be ready to go by then, think again.

I know this is a controversial thing to say, but Sue Bird might even have a difficult time making the team. That is not to slight Sue, but to speak to the depth of talent in our backyard. I also don't mean to sound like a bully American, but four to five gold medals in a row in women's basketball is not an impossible goal, especially with individuals who are committed to excellence from which the Committee has to choose.

Let the Games begin...

ageckogirl

PostPosted: 03/10/05 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Van will be well out of the picture and the front-runner for the HC job next time is a coach that knows Lauren's game as well as anybody on the face of the earth.

I happen to think that TEAM USA will be as successful in '08 and probably in '12. Taurasi will be running the team with Cash/Catchings on the wing and Ohlde and Tiffany Jackson enforcing inside. Yes, The Grand Dame will no doubt play out her Swan Song in Beijing, but I will take the likes of Ford, Riley, and a few other big girls we have in the pipeline to keep the US strong inside. And if you think Beard, Whalen and Augustus will not be ready to go by then, think again.

I know this is a controversial thing to say, but Sue Bird might even have a difficult time making the team. That is not to slight Sue, but to speak to the depth of talent in our backyard. I also don't mean to sound like a bully American, but four to five gold medals in a row in women's basketball is not an impossible goal, especially with individuals who are committed to excellence from which the Committee has to choose.

Let the Games begin...

Don't count Sue out. I think that she will be one of the front runners for the Captain spots because of her leadership...especially if AD is the coach, and I know that that is what you are elluding to in the first sentence. TEAM USA is going to be tough for a few years to come. As long as Stirling is in place, we have great shots are 4-5 peats!

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/10/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird will have to find some defense if she is going to continue to be considered the premier point guard in the US. That is the alleged reason she is in Russia this winter...to find some "D"...well, and make a ton of money, too.

The best test will be how much we see her looking at the back of Lindsay Whalen's jersey this year.

Taurasi will be the leader on the future OG teams and anything else that is women's basketball. That is my opinion. I love Birdy to death, but she has got to step up with some defense to maintain her position as the "proto-type-old-school" point guard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: