RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle signs Janell Burse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keegan

PostPosted: 03/01/05 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Irvin and Vodichkova would be a great combo.

How about Veal, Pierson and the #3 for the #1?
caune

PostPosted: 03/01/05 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:
Irvin and Vodichkova would be a great combo.

How about Veal, Pierson and the #3 for the #1?

Oh, I'd make that trade, but Trudy wouldn'tWink

Alepp03

PostPosted: 03/01/05 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No need for Veal and Darling, I'd rather have the 1 than the 3, I would rather have Powell start than Pierson, and I like Pierson a lot.

PostPosted: 03/01/05 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Brigade members, here's my question.

I has assumed Burse was the real target, not Kamila, and the price was just being driven up so both couldn't be resigned.

So, was Kamila the target and you get what you pay for, or did Seattle "outsmart" (for lack of a better word) the strategy by signing the younger and more athletic Burse?

Not that getting a solid, strong post in Kamila is a bad thing as a "consolation prize" if that's what it is.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/05 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So, was Kamila the target

As it turns out, Kamila was Coach Graf's target.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/01/05 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, with an offer that big being put on the table, it seemed to be a case of being deadly serious about acquiring either one or the other.
Over the last couple of days I've certainly warmed to the idea of having KV on board.

It was a real fear of mine that we wouldn't end up with any new post players via free agency, and that would have upset me.
Here's hoping that Carrie's instincts are on the money. (She's certainly seen enough of KV up close to know exactly what she is buying)

PostPosted: 03/01/05 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plennette made a believer out of me last season!

pilight

PostPosted: 03/01/05 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
So, was Kamila the target and you get what you pay for, or did Seattle "outsmart" (for lack of a better word) the strategy by signing the younger and more athletic Burse?

Vodichkova was the target. Whether she's really better than Burse is questionable.

Statistically it's a wash. Adjusted for minutes last season, Vodichkova has a slight edge in points and assists, Burse a slight edge in steals and an enormous advantage in blocks, rebounds are even. Burse shot better from the floor last year, careerwise they're virtually identical in that regard. Vodichkova is a much better FT shooter than Burse.

In the playoffs, Vodichkova had several games in which she logged major minutes without doing anything of consequence and only a couple where she was a major difference maker (to be fair, she saved her best post-season game for Game 3 of the finals). Burse had far fewer playoff minutes but usually had an impact when she came in.

Vodichkova seemed to wear down during the season, you could see her production flag as the season progressed. She had a burst right after the Olympic break with 4 or 5 good games then went back to the sub-par output she had been doing right before, or a little less. That makes me wonder about her conditioning. I don't have concerns about that with Burse, who (by most accounts) is a workout nut.

Burse is more foul prone, especially on D where she's a shot blocker. Neither player is known for aggressive post moves on offense, Vodichkova is better at that.

I don't see much difference between them, other than Burse being 6 years younger and thus more likely to get better and have a longer career.

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
Janell earned that. I'm glad she's getting paid.

She did? Shocked

inky

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vodichkova's going to have to change her hair color. That platinum red over a Mercury orange jersey is just too violent.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
Vodichkova's going to have to change her hair color. That platinum red over a Mercury orange jersey is just too violent.

Her new paychecks will enable her to have every strand a different color, if she so desires.

caune

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
inky wrote:

Her new paychecks will enable her to have every strand a different color, if she so desires.

She can go to Salon Bello Pella, the "official" salon of the Phoenix Mercury!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/05 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She can go to Salon Bello Pella, the "official" salon of the Phoenix Mercury!

She can't go to the male stylist. Been there, done that. Shocked

inky

PostPosted: 03/01/05 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
inky wrote:

$90K goes a long way in the southwest, then.

We're not talking LeBron dollars here. Except for the few players with excellent endorsements and/or overseas contracts, nobody's getting rich in the WNBA. I don't see how a three year contract at vet max allows for extravagances. I'd call it a living wage.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/01/05 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:
4ever_bball_fan wrote:
inky wrote:

$90K goes a long way in the southwest, then.

We're not talking LeBron dollars here. Except for the few players with excellent endorsements and/or overseas contracts, nobody's getting rich in the WNBA. I don't see how a three year contract at vet max allows for extravagances. I'd call it a living wage.

And you thought Sean Penn had no sense of humor, lol

Quote:
Introducing the Best Actress category, Sean Penn got serious and
defended Jude Law, one of the targets of Rock’s opening monologue, as “one of our finest actors.” It was a nice gesture, but I think everyone in the hall knew Rock was only kidding. Or maybe they didn’t. Rock, whose monologue advised producers to go for the A-list star and not settle for the generic substitute, missed a perfect one-liner when he followed Sean Penn onto the stage. He should have said: "Sean Penn is right and I apoligize to Jude Law. My advice should have been, if you can't get Jude Law, don't settle for Sean Penn."

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050227/OSCARS/50227001

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/01/05 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Admiral...you got it.

inky

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The day admiral needa becomes the arbiter of what's humorous is the day I begin to fear for the future of America.

On that day, we'll see:

Lisa Leslie defending with her feet, not her elbows! DeMya Walker defending while on her feet, not her butt! Maura McHugh dressing in tasteful neutrals! Margo Dydek driving a Cooper Mini! Lin Dunn not cutting her own hair! Geno Auriemma practicing Transcendental Meditation! Basketball in Radio City Music Hall! Cats mating with dogs!

In short, mayhem.

And the women of the WNBA will probably still be underpaid.

inky

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The day admiral needa becomes the arbiter of what's humorous is the day I begin to fear for the future of America.

On that day, we'll see:

Lisa Leslie defending with her feet, not her elbows! DeMya Walker defending while on her feet, not her butt! Maura McHugh dressing in tasteful neutrals! Margo Dydek driving a Cooper Mini! Lin Dunn not cutting her own hair! Geno Auriemma practicing Transcendental Meditation! Basketball in Radio City Music Hall! Cats mating with dogs!

In short, mayhem.

And the women of the WNBA will probably still be underpaid.

inky

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ack. Why does that two post thing happen sometimes?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

It's to make the people coming from the ESPN boards feel more at home.

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL!
You took the words right out of my mouth, pilight!

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Lisa Leslie defending with her feet, not her elbows! DeMya Walker defending while on her feet, not her butt! Maura McHugh dressing in tasteful neutrals! Margo Dydek driving a Cooper Mini!

ROFLMAO, Inky!

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
No need for Veal and Darling, I'd rather have the 1 than the 3, I would rather have Powell start than Pierson, and I like Pierson a lot.

That's assuming Powell is a WNBA 4.

Veal has more upside than Darling.

I think it's actually a good deal for Charlotte, Trudi gets more decent vets she craves as well as retaining a decent draft pick. Of course, this means it will never get done Rolling Eyes
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/01/05 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

inky wrote:

It's to make the people coming from the ESPN boards feel more at home.

Haha. Wow that was hilarious. But seriously, I can't even look at that board anymore. It is so rediculous. And I'm not even considering VeProf when I say that Wink

Shed

PostPosted: 03/02/05 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok has Burse really resigned with Seattle? The reason I ask is when an email arrived to all Seattle STH today announcing Betty had been resigned it said:

"The Storm still has one unrestricted free agent (Adia Barnes) and two restricted free agents (Janell Burse and Simone Edwards)."

It then went on to mention the KV offer sheet and having until Saturday to match. I must admit I was a little surprised to have not seen anything on the Storm website over the last couple of days announcing the resigning of JB, but maybe that's because it hasn't happened. Anyone know for sure?

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: