RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Publications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocSavage2001

PostPosted: 02/12/06 12:15 pm    ::: Publications Reply Reply with quote

As an information junkie, I get slightly jealous of all the millions of men's college basketball magazines (that usually give like all of 3 pages to all 332 women's teams).

Are there any good publications (in hard copy) for women's basketball?

I have media guides (some colleges have been really nice and sent them to me free, even when I offered to pay postage, and some have been difficult, even when I offered to pay!), the NCAA Women's Record Book for last year (330+ pages of goodness!), I know of Women's Basketball magazine. Is there anything else good I'm missing?

Also, what IS the best way to obtain through the mail, college media guides? Most of the schools do not list sports publications under the athletic school stores/shops etc, just clothing. Write the SIDs? I always feel like I am being an annoyance, but not sure what other ways.

Thanks for any advice.
Doc

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 02/12/06 1:50 pm    ::: Re: Publications Reply Reply with quote

I can't think of any national print mags you really need-- just good books (my favorite is still Venus to the Hoop) and web-based magazines (I assume you already subscribe to Full Court Press).

Many if not all WNBA teams publish monthly magazines for their season ticket holders-- I know the Lynx does; it's not exactly the New Yorker, but it contains neat trivia and a fun interview or two every so often, and helps keep track of Lynx players in the offseason. You might try figuring out whether you could get those mags from your favorite teams by asking them directly, if you don't get them already.

Zakiwi

PostPosted: 02/12/06 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There' isn't really anything else out there. You could check out "Gball Online Magazine: for girls who love basketball." Seems aimed at younger readers, but might be worth investigating: http://www.gballmag.com/

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 02/12/06 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not hard copy, but I would recommend scout.com, it has a subscription service, and has a lot of good stories, many are only available to paying customers. Scout has a lot of the teams covered, and you get a lot of good stuff, this will also get you stories on Full Court Press, it is part of the scout network. I think the cost is like $49.95 a year.

Capri

PostPosted: 02/13/06 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is the print Women's Basketball Magazine. It comes out every other month or so. It's not current, but has some nice features on players.

http://www.wbmagazine.com/

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/13/06 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I might recommend you join the WBCA as a ... supporting member. You get their Magazine (once every 1.5/2 months) that covers all ages groups.. Of course, the audience is for coaches primarily, but I think it provides some interesting stuff....

http://wbca.org/

For a great list of books, check out... (you can also, by purchasing through the buttons, support Kim's site)
http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/books/books.html

PostPosted: 02/13/06 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Venus to the Hoop is an excellent read. Another book I enjoyed much more than I thought I would was Tara VanDerveer's Shooting from the Outside. It focuses on the year the women's olympic team was together leading up to the 1996 Olympics. I even had to read passages of this book to my partner who is not a basketball person.

DocSavage2001

PostPosted: 02/13/06 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great pointers!

Doc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: