RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who is Number 1???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O.G.

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
Duke will be #1 in both polls next week.

Well, yeah, the pollsters love Duke beyond all reason.

If the question is who should be #1, it's not that simple.

Thank you.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
is this some kind of standard at UMD -- to injure others by being physical?

Gotta agree with what you've said. Laura Harper is dangerous IMHO. She plays with reckless abandon. I'm shocked she actually plays like this considering she suffered a season-ending injury last season. There have been several occasions where opposing guards have slipped into the lane and I've had to hold my breath. It's good to be physical, but Harper's flailing limbs are dangerous. I had to hold my breath when she tried to block Granberry and Zoll in the first UMD/UVA game. I had to hold my breath when she was too physical with Sardin in the second UMD/UVA game. Now I hear that Alex Miller of UNC was carted off in a stretcher. Hmm...makes you wonder.

If I'm an ACC referee, I'd start calling more flagrants on Harper.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Nobody has come within 15 of LSU at the PMAC.

Until Sunday. I like Georgia's chances in this game.

Mathies to LA 2013
mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now I would go with LSU as #1. The tricky part is where to put Maryland, UNC, and Duke, each has beat one of the other and lost to the other. I would say:
LSU
Duke
UNC
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn
Tennessee
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Michigan State

dukemayo

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pulling for Duke to prove they're #1, but right now I'd have to vote for UNC. They lost tonight but didn't have their hottest 3-point shooter for the latter part of the second half (Alex Miller, 5-6 last two games) and didn't have Larkins for OT. They're a very talented team. I think they have four future WNBA players--Latta, Larkins, Little and Atkinson.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
Right now I would go with LSU as #1. The tricky part is where to put Maryland, UNC, and Duke, each has beat one of the other and lost to the other. I would say:
LSU
Duke
UNC
Maryland
Rutgers
UConn
Tennessee
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Michigan State

Michigan State over Purdue?

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/09/06 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers IS NOT better than UConn. Look at Rutgers losses against UConn's losses. UConn needs Brittany Hunter back. She brings a spark off the bench, emotionally and offensively. I can't wait to see what happens on Senior Night for Rutger when UConn visits. UConn has to prove themselves.... once again this season.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/06 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Rutgers IS NOT better than UConn. Look at Rutgers losses against UConn's losses. UConn needs Brittany Hunter back. She brings a spark off the bench, emotionally and offensively. I can't wait to see what happens on Senior Night for Rutger when UConn visits. UConn has to prove themselves.... once again this season.

The polls are about the last two weeks, and Rutgers has been better than UConn the last two weeks, beating three top 25 teams in a row, including UConn, while UConn struggled with a Bulger-less WVU and lost to Rutgers. The poll voters aren't going to vote for UConn over Rutgers on the assumption that Hunter will be back and that UConn will win a game that won't take place until two weeks after they vote. For that matter, the RU losses earlier this year probably are mostly off their radar, too. They'll think about today.

That said, I have no idea what the poll voters will do. I don't know of a case when three top 8 teams have lost at home to three lower-ranked top 8 teams in a single week. My guess is that we'll see a lot of split voting for #1 - Duke, LSU and UNC all could get votes - and close vote totals for all the teams from 1-8.

And bear in mind that there are still games to be played for all of these teams between now and when the polls come out. For instance, LSU has Georgia and Maryland plays at Duke. There could be even more chaos.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/06 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland may garner some #1 votes also.

PostPosted: 02/10/06 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dukemayo wrote:
I'm pulling for Duke to prove they're #1, but right now I'd have to vote for UNC. They lost tonight but didn't have their hottest 3-point shooter for the latter part of the second half (Alex Miller, 5-6 last two games) and didn't have Larkins for OT. They're a very talented team. I think they have four future WNBA players--Latta, Larkins, Little and Atkinson.

Agreed. I still think UNC is the #1 team in the country.

Oh Ryan, I LOVE your avatar...cracking me up.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/06 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

You may be right. It wouldn't surprise me, although an OT win over a team ranked 5 spots ahead of you wouldn't seem to justify that kind of jump.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/06 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
pilight wrote:

You may be right. It wouldn't surprise me, although an OT win over a team ranked 5 spots ahead of you wouldn't seem to justify that kind of jump.

It was a road win and the team they beat was undefeated. It makes more sense than the first place vote Duke got in the last coaches poll.

PostPosted: 02/10/06 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It makes more sense than the first place vote Duke got in the last coaches poll.

That's certainly true, although it's also a pretty low bar.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/10/06 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dukemayo wrote:

Cam, Franzia is my friend. I love cheap boxed wine. It doesn't get much better than that. White Zan and Sunset Blush are my two faves Very Happy

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/10/06 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ryan2528 wrote:

The polls are about the last two weeks, and Rutgers has been better than UConn the last two weeks, beating three top 25 teams in a row, including UConn, while UConn struggled with a Bulger-less WVU and lost to Rutgers. The poll voters aren't going to vote for UConn over Rutgers on the assumption that Hunter will be back and that UConn will win a game that won't take place until two weeks after they vote. For that matter, the RU losses earlier this year probably are mostly off their radar, too. They'll think about today.

That said, I have no idea what the poll voters will do. I don't know of a case when three top 8 teams have lost at home to three lower-ranked top 8 teams in a single week. My guess is that we'll see a lot of split voting for #1 - Duke, LSU and UNC all could get votes - and close vote totals for all the teams from 1-8.

And bear in mind that there are still games to be played for all of these teams between now and when the polls come out. For instance, LSU has Georgia and Maryland plays at Duke. There could be even more chaos.

Yeah, good story. Look at what I said... UConn has lost to Tennesse, UNC and Rutgers, all legit top 10 teams.

Who did Rutgers lose to? I know a decent MSU squad and some collection of scrubs. Care to elaborate who that is? Do they have any other losses?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/10/06 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
dukemayo wrote:

Cam, Franzia is my friend. I love cheap boxed wine. It doesn't get much better than that. White Zan and Sunset Blush are my two faves Very Happy

A friend of mine's grandmother drinks Franzia, and when it is cold enough she keeps the box on the patio to save room in her fridge Very Happy

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/06 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ryan2528 wrote:
Yeah, good story. Look at what I said... UConn has lost to Tennesse, UNC and Rutgers, all legit top 10 teams.

Who did Rutgers lose to? I know a decent MSU squad and some collection of scrubs. Care to elaborate who that is? Do they have any other losses?

The thing is that they played the game this week, not in December when RU lost to Mississippi (a hideous loss, I agree), or in early to mid-January when RU lost to Temple and Michigan State. And while UConn was beating WVU (RPI 113) at home by 8 and losing at home to RU, RU was beating DePaul (RPI 13) at home by 10 and beating UConn on the road. Also, two of RU's losses were on the road; two of UConn's were at home.

You can make a perfectly good argument that UConn has been better over the season (although it's not as obvious as you think: RU is 5-1 v. RPI top 25 teams and UConn is 5-3; RU is 9-2 against RPI top 50 teams and UConn is 9-3), but that doesn't tell you which team is better today. The best evidence you have for that is what happened on Tuesday: RU 60 UConn 56, at Gampel.

Oh, and the Franzia thing just makes me shudder.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/10/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before this weekend's games, my top 10 looks like this:

LSU
Maryland
UNC
Duke
Tennessee
Ruggers
UConn
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia

Maryland beat UNC, which beat Duke, so sets the order in the ACC before the weekend. LSU has to get past Georgia this weekend and Duke's got Virginia then Maryland. If LSU loses and Duke beats Maryland, I'd go with UNC, Duke,LSU,Maryland etc.

~rAf

~rAf
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/10/06 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay now I'm getting annoyed.

1: Franzia rocks

2: Rutgers lost to an unnranked team. Doesn't matter when, they did and it is a fact. MSU is not a loss I would be too proud to admit either.

3: UConn beat DePaul @ DePaul the previous week. So that is pretty much a moot point.

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/06 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That would be the MSU team that just beat up on #11/12 Minnesota.

Remember that Duke lost to Dayton one year and got to the Final Four. One loss in November or December doesn't tell you much about a team in February or March.

Anyway, the point that remains is that the poll voters (remember them?) will focus more on where the teams are today than where they were in December and, honestly, that seems appropriate to me.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/10/06 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember that Duke lost to Dayton one year and got to the Final Four.

Toledo.

O.G.

PostPosted: 02/10/06 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Before this weekend's games, my top 10 looks like this:

LSU
Maryland
UNC
Duke
Tennessee
Ruggers
UConn
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Georgia

Maryland beat UNC, which beat Duke, so sets the order in the ACC before the weekend. LSU has to get past Georgia this weekend and Duke's got Virginia then Maryland. If LSU loses and Duke beats Maryland, I'd go with UNC, Duke,LSU,Maryland etc.

~rAf

OK, Maryland played a great game last night, but NO WAY does that make them #2 in the country. Duke already beat Maryland, no? Top teams beat each other, so one particular match-up does not necessarily rank the winning team higher. Should Kentucky be ranked above Tennessee? Baylor over Georgia?

Only UNC, LSU and Duke have a claim to the top 3 spots IMHO. I for one won't be crying when Duke moves back to #1 next week. I'll gladly take a win in Cameron over the #1 ranking.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/10/06 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:
Only UNC, LSU and Duke have a claim to the top 3 spots IMHO. I for one won't be crying when Duke moves back to #1 next week. I'll gladly take a win in Cameron over the #1 ranking.

I have to agree. Maryland has two losses (no matter how "good" those losses are to some people) and definitely shouldn't be ranked above three teams with only one loss each (especially if these teams all have impressive wins). I just don't see LSU jumping Duke unless Duke loses tonight (which it won't).

Mathies to LA 2013
beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/06 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
Remember that Duke lost to Dayton one year and got to the Final Four.

Toledo.

Sorry, Cam. And I just looked at that today.

But, hey, they're only about 120 miles apart.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/10/06 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my new top 10:

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. LSU
4. Maryland
5. Rutgers
6. Tennessee
7. UCONN
8. Ohio St.
9. Purdue
10. Oklahoma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: