RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/07/06 2:56 pm    ::: Coaches poll out Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wbca.org/DICoachesPoll.asp

North Carolina #1

Duke still has a #1 vote!

Minnesota #10

Texas A&M in, Kentucky out

PostPosted: 02/07/06 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone voted for High Point? Shocked

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 02/07/06 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all right... this is ridiculous... who is the moron who voted for Duke? last week I figured it was just an oversight -- like someone had done his/her ballot before seeing the result.

Let me put it simply: UNC is undefeated, and they beat Duke at Duke just a week ago. There is no plausible argument to be made for giving Duke a #1 vote.

(and incidentally.... Minnesota is way overranked at #10. Prediction: next week we fall to around 18.)

Retav8or

PostPosted: 02/08/06 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

(and incidentally.... Minnesota is way overranked at #10. Prediction: next week we fall to around 18.)

I disagree, I have thought all year that Minny was a #12 - 15 team (a #10 isn't far off). They are playing well now and I would not be surprised if they win 2 or three of the upcoming games with MSU, Purdue, and OSU.

If any Big Ten team has been overrated it is MSU, too much talent lost from last year. I think OSU is on par with last year; Purdue (along with Oklahoma) may be among the most improved teams in the nation; finally, Minnesota has the most depth (in the conference) and is able to seamlessly substitute quality players, thus, wearing down teams that rely on one or two goto players.

Of course predictions like this have a way of biting one on the posterior. Whatever happens will definately indicate how good or not so good they really are.

Skol Vikings
State of Hockey
Los Lynx
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/08/06 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
all right... this is ridiculous... who is the moron who voted for Duke?

Maybe that voter is a psychic and perhaps he/she's a week ahead of the rest. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
Alepp03

PostPosted: 02/08/06 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does UNC play Maryland this week?

Lanhorne and Harper are probably better suited to deal with Erlana Larkins than Ali Bales. If Chante had stayed out of foul trouble I think her impact on the game would have increased.

Toliver would have to play big minutes versus UNC because Doron probably would not be able to handle the UNC pressure at the point. And finally for me, the big intriguing matchup is almost always what is going on with Coleman - so much promise, so much skill, can't wait to see where this girl goes...

PostPosted: 02/08/06 2:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Does UNC play Maryland this week?

Thursday. It'll be interesting to see how Maryland (mainly Toliver and Doron) handles UNC's pressure. Perhaps UNC will come out fired up for this game since they will be playing against a highly-ranked team. It's the "small fries" with which UNC could have issues.

Mathies to LA 2013
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/08/06 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good to see St. J stay in the polls despite the loss to RU.

RU seems stuck in the 8-9 area...they should move up next week unless they choke in WVA. Ive seen it before. Even with no bulger.

good tip of the hat to TAMU...they deservied it...they've been playing well while the other parts of the texas big 3 state schools have faltered.

PostPosted: 02/08/06 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#13-15 seem plausible for Minnesota, #10 too high, #18 too low "really" but could happen if the Gophs go 0-2 this week... their nice B10 record is partly a consequence of not having had to play OSU, Purdue, or MSU on their respective home courts yet. (Though the win over Iowa at Iowa was pretty nice.)

Maryland matches up with UNC as well as anyone does, I guess, but how well is that? Duke made Maryland look pretty bad last month, and we all know how UNC made Duke look.

I'll start looking harder at the Aggies. What was their non-conference schedule like?

Sternvogel

PostPosted: 02/08/06 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I'll start looking harder at the Aggies. What was their non-conference schedule like?

Their two non-conference losses were back-to-back in Hawaii -- an 84-71 defeat at the hands of DePaul, followed by a 68-66 heartbreaker against the host Rainbow Wahine. Best of the 11 wins was probably the one over Washington (79-65 at A&M), followed by a 73-48 rout of UNLV in Las Vegas, a 62-47 victory over probable Ivy League champ Dartmouth in College Station, and a 65-64 decision over visiting Rice. Not the toughest of slates, as you can see here. I'd hope for an upgrade next season to better prepare the Aggies for Big 12 competition.

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/birthdays/index.html

Let me know of any players/teams you wish to see added!
vanyogan

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
#13-15 seem plausible for Minnesota, #10 too high, #18 too low "really" but could happen if the Gophs go 0-2 this week... their nice B10 record is partly a consequence of not having had to play OSU, Purdue, or MSU on their respective home courts yet. (Though the win over Iowa at Iowa was pretty nice.)

At this point Minny is a wild card. I think they have the personnel to win all three of these next games. The Purdue loss was the best thing that ever happened to them. It was instructive to Borton. She will no longer hesitate to bring out the hook on any player that doesn't perform. She has eleven players in rotation and she needs 7-8 of them to play great or solid. That's enough to beat just about any team in the country and certainly enough to take out MSU, Purdue, and OSU at home. I think they have to make some threes to get er done. If they do, it could be easier than some think. Minny has two of the top 4 3 pt. shooters in the Big 10 (conference only) stats and they lead the conference in 3pt point shooting. Combine that with a solid post game, maybe the best high low game, it's very difficult to stop Minny from scoring.

Will they actually do it? I have no freaking idea. My take on the ranking at #10 is that some folks are leaning toward "yes" they can. Albeit Minny controls their own destiny, they have the toughest road to the Big ten championship from this point on IMHO...

PostPosted: 02/08/06 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Maryland matches up with UNC as well as anyone does, I guess, but how well is that?

Not very. Maryland isn't nearly as athletic as UNC and doesn't have enough ballhandlers to deal with the Tar Heel pressure. Maryland might have an advantage over UNC in the paint, but Maryland's had the post advantage over all their opponents with the exception of Duke and Boston College. Results: 3 overtime games, 1 regulation loss, and 2 close games with bottom-tier ACC teams.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: