RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Epiphany Prince scores 113!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:17 pm    ::: Epiphany Prince scores 113! Reply Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/more/02/01/prince.113/index.html
Shocked
"Epiphany Prince, a 5-foot-9 senior, shattered the all-time national high school girls basketball scoring record Wednesday with an incredible 113 points as Manhattan's Murry Bergtraum routed Louis Brandeis 137-32.

The previous record of 105 points was set by Cheryl Miller of Riverside Poly in 1982. Lisa Leslie also topped the century mark with 101 for Inglewood Morningside in 1990. Both schools are in Southern California."

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...good for her, but was it really necessary, seeing as Murry Bergtraum won by 105 points? Seems to be very disrespectful to the opposition.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Isn't she headed to Rutgers? Seems like they could use her. Wink

Mathies to LA 2013
sambista

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i blame kobe for this.

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i blame kobe for this.

I blame the coach...obviously a disrepectful @ss.

There's a huge difference between Kobe's 81 and EP's 113. The Lakers needed him to score that much to win. Prince and her coach were just rubbing it in their opponents face.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just looked at their schedule at PSAL.org. It's possible it was senior night. It's their next to last home game. That's the same mechanism that got LL her 101 in high school- keep feeding the senior and let her score.

I could be talking out my ass here, but I thought I'd put that on the table.

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't really have a problem with her doing it. It's not nice to be on the receiving end but meh, it's just sport and you'll win some by a lot and lose some by a lot. Use it as motivation to get better.

She'll be great for the pros if she can keep it together.

Last edited by Keegan on 02/01/06 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i blame kobe for this.

So does Vince Carter. Laughing

Mathies to LA 2013
sambista

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it was a joke, b-jay.

PostPosted: 02/01/06 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I just looked at their schedule at PSAL.org. It's possible it was senior night. It's their next to last home game. That's the same mechanism that got LL her 101 in high school- keep feeding the senior and let her score.

I could be talking out my ass here, but I thought I'd put that on the table.

L.L.-L. did that in one half (the other team wouldn't come out for the second half.)

Congratulations Epiphany!

What the heck - let the kid have her night.

mikey87

PostPosted: 02/01/06 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused wow has a male player even scored that much in a game, she wont be fun to play for opponents when she get's to WCBB if she keeps it u[

hooper1

PostPosted: 02/02/06 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the same thing! Shows NO class at all!

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 02/02/06 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coming home was trying to do the maths... 113 points in 32 minutes. Just think of what it takes to get that many possessions.

I get this image of a dad playing an 11 year old one on one and kickin' his a$$. What, exactly, is the point?

People get on Geno, Pat and Gail fro running up scores.. at least they use zillions of people and distribute the minutes.

Piss poor coaching. It would have been cool if Epih took herself outta the game and/or gave the ball to the other fine guard she has as a teammate...

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this was actually reported in the 7 o'clock news reading on the "today" show. they showed a still photo of prince, said that lebron james called her feat "amazing." then matt lauer joked that the coach of the losing team probably said, "okay, now, guys, we have just a few things we need to work on . . ." then katie couric said, "we should have her on the show since she's a local girl . . . she's here in new york, right?"

so two things: 1) yeah, they reported it and actually chatted about it! and 2) i'm guessing they'll have her on tomorrow morning, if ever. by monday, it'll be old news, so keep your eyes peeled.

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the game which I assume none of you complaining were.

It's not Piph or Grezinsky's fault. It's the PSAL's. Teams are not matched up correctly which is why there was a big meeting last week on the boys side to form a Super Division to prevent Lincoln, Grady, etc. from doing what Bergtraum did. All of the powerhouses would be in the SAME league. The girls are contemplating it as well.

In order to fully grasp the situation, you'd have to understand the level of competition. It was like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. There is only one team in Bergtraum's division that should even be playing with them: Manhattan Center. But there are 7 teams in the division.

Grezinsky knows he's screwed either way. The people come to see Piph. The opposing players come to see Piph.

If he wants to prevent a lopsided score, to be honest, Piph shouldn't even suit up against teams like Brandeis. You can't help a blowout if she plays against almost any team in the City.

So should she only play against CTK, Manhattan Center, St. Michaels, Francis Lewis, and a handful of other teams? Is that fair to her? Should she be concerned because she's a woman among girls?

If Grezinsky took her out when the game was out of hand, seriously, she'd have played 3 minutes. She'd have played 3 minutes in every game this year.

So when she's got 70 and the crowd hyped, do you take her out? When she has 80? When she's on her way to breaking the record? When she's on track to break Telfair's all time total career scoring record? When everyone in the gym knows she's on pace to do it and has wondered on many other occassions just how much she could score if she was left in the game?

Once people realized Piph was on a roll, they just went with it for all of the reasons above.

Didn't look to me like Vera Springer (Brandeis' coach) had a problem with it during the game. If she did, she should have and could have easily done like other coaches have done in other PSAL games and called the lead official over and told him to stop the game. She could have called the commissioner during halftime. She could have simply walked off the court. She could have spoken to Grezinsky in a meeting with the officials. It's all been done before in this situation and the message was clear once those steps were taken. She could have stood up for her players during the game instead of after it.

Take a gander at some of Bergtraum's other games this year if you get a chance.

This is the PSAL. If Brandeis really felt like Bergtraum was doing anything out of the ordinary, no one would have thought anything of it if Piph would have been clotheslined and laid out by halftime. Instead of complaining, they should have found some heart and pride.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 02/02/06 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The opposing players will probably be telling their kids about this game once Prince is kicking ass in the pros Very Happy
It's fantastic for girls' hoops anyway you slice it. I mean, it got them publicity and if they spin it any other way different than the Kobe way, then you'll see some sort of bias/prejudice.
From Cappie to 113 pts Girl, yeah, RU will be just fine Wink

PostPosted: 02/02/06 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear you Timber, but this is H.S. ball. She didn't need to play the 2nd half in my opinion.

timber

PostPosted: 02/02/06 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I hear you Timber, but this is H.S. ball. She didn't need to play the 2nd half in my opinion.

Using that logic, she'd never play. She had a chance to make history and took advantage. The PSAL is who everyone should be outraged at.

Look at it from the other side. Springer's been coaching 90 million years. She knew what her options were.

All she had to do was call the ref over. If that didn't work, call Virginia Matthews, the Commish whose cell she should have, and tell her to do something about it. Hell, I'd have given her the number if I thought she was going to show some heart on behalf of her players.

Hughsterg

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:48 am    ::: A few questions Reply Reply with quote

What kind of defense did the winning team use during the game (did they press the whole game?)

How many minutes did Prince play?

How many girls are on the team?

I reserve judgement until those questions are answered.

boilerjay

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

timber wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Using that logic, she'd never play.

Amber Harris' coach held her out of two games this season because her opponent was so weak.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
timber wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Amber Harris' coach held her out of two games this season because her opponent was so weak.

I'd be more insulted by that than by her scoring 100+ points on my team.

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, it was last season.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does she have any teammates who are goign to be playign division 1 ball

dtsnms

PostPosted: 02/02/06 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link from ESPN's web site:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2315990

harlem_basketball

PostPosted: 02/02/06 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
boilerjay wrote:
timber wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I'd be more insulted by that than by her scoring 100+ points on my team.

Exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: