RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miami at MD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/01/06 10:55 am    ::: Miami at MD Reply Reply with quote

"Maryland (19-2, 6-1 ACC) has won the last two meetings and leads the series 4-1. After falling to Miami in 2002, head coach Brenda Frese's first season, 97-66, the next two meetings were won by the Terps by a combined six points."

http://umterps.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/013106aaa.html

Okay, Terps, let's have a good win in regulation tonight! Very Happy

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/01/06 1:07 pm    ::: Re: Miami at MD Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
"Okay, Terps, let's have a good win in regulation tonight! Very Happy

...my heart can't take another OT! Shocked

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/01/06 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ha ha, me neither.

We need to control Taylor and James, guard the three-point line and then hammer it downlow.

We should have won the last two easily, but we kept leaving their three-point shooters wide open.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/01/06 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

We need to control Taylor and James, guard the three-point line and then hammer it downlow.

exactly. terps have size advantage...let's not wait til OT to start feeding Lang. our guards have to limit Tamara's touches and not allow uncontested 3-balls.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/01/06 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm convinced that Renee Taylor is a point guard in stature only. She jacked up four bad shots in a row, all off dribble penetration. Conventional wisdom says she's going to average more points and less assists next season.

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/01/06 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps squandered a 13 pt halftime lead but dug in their heels once Miami tied it up. MD has to stop playing down to the level of their competition. At least Shay was back tonight.

Renee Taylor, with 21 points and 6 assists, was pretty impressive for Miami. Tamara James got into foul trouble early and spent a good bit of the game on the bench, but still scored 16 points.

Go Terps! Pick it up!

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/02/06 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
MD has to stop playing down to the level of their competition.

Question

This is the same Miami team that pasted the Hokies by 15, a team you guys only defeated by 6. Playing down to the level of your competition? You guys aren't exactly UNC or Duke.

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/02/06 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

Question

This is the same Miami team that pasted the Hokies by 15, a team you guys only defeated by 6. Playing down to the level of your competition? You guys aren't exactly UNC or Duke.

I was at the game. MD is a significantly better team than Miami is. Miami is a good team, but they don't have as many weapons as does MD. MD had a 13 point lead at halftime. They squandered it, at home; it's a game they should have won by more than 20 pts; they are falling into mental lapses. (BTW, I don't see any mention in my prior post that I think MD is UNC or Duke. I certainly think there's a gap after the two best teams in the ACC, and I have never said otherwise. Nor do I play for the Terps, so "you guys" isn't apt.)

ACC record as of this morning:

MD: 7-1
Miami 4-4

styxfan22

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shay moves back to SG and scores 26. Tolliver and Harper start, along with Shay, Newman and Langhorne.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/02/06 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Shay moves back to SG and scores 26. Tolliver and Harper start, along with Shay, Newman and Langhorne.

shay is neither comfortable nor exceptional at the point. with Sa'de on board the last half of next season, hopefully she won't be needed anymore at that position. Kristi and Sa'de will be able to handle all the PG duties.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/02/06 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtside, you seem worked up. Don't sweat it. You are being ripped on by a person who roots for two teams in the same league.

I agree Maryland has played down to its competition several times in the ACC and I attribute some of that to the non-conference portion of the schedule when they played no one and these teams rolled over and died when down by double figures. The thing is good teams find a way to win these games. Last year, games like this may have resulted in a few more Ls. This team is 20-2 with it's only losses coming against two top 5 teams.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

I agree Maryland has played down to its competition several times in the ACC and I attribute some of that to the non-conference portion of the schedule when they played no one and these teams rolled over and died when down by double figures. The thing is good teams find a way to win these games. Last year, games like this may have resulted in a few more Ls. This team is 20-2 with it's only losses coming against two top 5 teams.

I also think that MD isn't quite comfortable yet in the role of being the "ranked team". they're used to being the hunter, not the hunted. I remember last year when they upset UNC, which was ranked 6th at the time I think, and what a BIG win it was for the program. now THEY are #6 and the teams below them are hoping to pull off an upset against a top-10. the pressure shifts to the terps...the teams below them come into these games with little or nothing to lose. the experience they should gain this year will teach them what it really means to be ranked. they're young, they're new to this dynamic. what impresses me is that despite playing less-than-stellar BB in some of these games, to date they've always found a way to win.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Courtside, you seem worked up. Don't sweat it. You are being ripped on by a person who roots for two teams in the same league.

Thanks Joey. People like bballfan don't bother me. I just felt like pointing out that he was 1) wrong and 2) trying to put words in my mouth. (He's done that to others.) Thanks. Wink

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/02/06 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripley - I agree. Last year, I knew we were more talented in some of the games, but if we didn't bring our A or B+ game we were toast. At least this year our B game has survived several close calls and we haven't had a UT moment yet.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/02/06 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

What's that supposed to mean, moron? Am I not allowed to support more than one team? Never mind the fact that I cheered for one school before I attended the other. You didn't even attend the University of Maryland, bandwagoner! Rolling Eyes

And no, Maryland is not an elite team in the ACC like UNC or Duke. What we saw last Sunday was a clash between the two (and only two) titans of the ACC. No way the game would've been that entertaining had Maryland been involved in a game with either team.

And for those who were grossly misinformed, I'm 100% female.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/02/06 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I was at the game. MD is a significantly better team than Miami is. Miami is a good team, but they don't have as many weapons as does MD. MD had a 13 point lead at halftime. They squandered it, at home; it's a game they should have won by more than 20 pts; they are falling into mental lapses. (BTW, I don't see any mention in my prior post that I think MD is UNC or Duke. I certainly think there's a gap after the two best teams in the ACC, and I have never said otherwise. Nor do I play for the Terps, so "you guys" isn't apt.)

Miami 4-4

1. You saw it live with 750 other people...so what? I saw the game on Comcast.

2. Significantly better? You sure about that? Miami does have talent in Taylor, James, and Knight. Maybe Maryland has more weapons, but I hardly consider them to have significantly better talent. Also, Miami has a much better coach this year than last.

3. They are playing against formidable competition. Do you expect the players from the othe team to just "roll over and die" when they see Maryland on the schedule? Be real.

4. Miami was picked to finish 11th in the conference. So what if Maryland's schedule is better? Beat Duke and we'll talk. Until then, enjoy your stay in the middle tier!

Mathies to LA 2013
ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/02/06 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:

2. Significantly better? You sure about that? Miami does have talent in Taylor, James, and Knight. Maybe Maryland has more weapons, but I hardly consider them to have significantly better talent. Also, Miami has a much better coach this year than last.

3. They are playing against formidable competition. Do you expect the players from the othe team to just "roll over and die" when they see Maryland on the schedule? Be real.

4. Miami was picked to finish 11th in the conference. So what if Maryland's schedule is better? Beat Duke and we'll talk. Until then, enjoy your stay in the middle tier!

*yawn* with all due respect bballfan, your rants are getting boring...SOOoooo predictable. IMHO the Md fans on this board like Courtside, Joey, styx... are pretty understated. not a lot of trash talking or woofing. everybody seems to acknowledge that MD is NOT at the same level this year with Duke or UNC. but despite that fact, you keep coming back to *let's see you beat Duke* kind of responses. go take a jog or something...it's a healthier outlet for all that pent up anger you're lugging around. Wink

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/02/06 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm tired of seeing all these "we keep playing to the level of our competition" posts, that's why! Guess what? Your team is on the SAME level as your competition, so it's clear to see why the team would play to the level of the competition. Plus, Maryland fans have a bad habit of not acknowledging when the other team does well. It's always "we failed to do this" or "we really had to dig deep this time" instead of "wow...Wake really fought hard with us tonight". That kind of arrogance from fans of a team that hasn't done anything in over a decade is ridiculous in my book. Even after the UNC victory over Duke, I congratulated UNC on a well-played game by both teams. That's called respect, something Maryland fans clearly lack these days. Well, I guess that makes "respect" and "Terrapin fans" mutually exclusive.

I love the ACC and have respect for most of the teams in the league, but Maryland is a bad apple. If it weren't for the fact that Maryland helps the conference RPI, I wouldn't bother with the team.

Mathies to LA 2013
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 02/02/06 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Maryland fans have a bad habit of not acknowledging when the other team does well

Funny, I wrote the folowing in my post above after last night's game: "Renee Taylor, with 21 points and 6 assists, was pretty impressive for Miami. Tamara James got into foul trouble early and spent a good bit of the game on the bench, but still scored 16 points."

Bballfan, is something wrong with your reading comprehension? What's with you? Why are you so nasty? Ripleydc had some good suggestions for you. Sheesh.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/02/06 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You didn't even attend the University of Maryland, bandwagoner!

How do you know where I went to school? I don't think I have ever made that clear.

Quote:

How did you see the game on Comcast? There were no TV announcers nor any camera crews at the game (except for the TerpVision people). Plus, CSN was showing the Wizards game.

Quote:
Your team is on the SAME level as your competition, so it's clear to see why the team would play to the level of the competition

Yes and no. The polls all state that Maryland is the 6th ranked team in the country with only losses to two Top 5 teams. So when Maryland goes to OT vs. Wake, it's seen as playing down to the competition or when squandering a double-digit lead to GT it's seen as the same thing. Maryland should beat teams like Wake, GT, Clemson handily. When the game is a struggle and you watch and realize they aren't playing to their best ability it can be seen as playing down to an opponent. Do you honestly think that Maryland should have single-digit games against those 3 teams?

Do I think we are in the upper tier of the ACC? The way we have played lately, nope. But if the team can can go into Carmichael and Cameron and either win, or make it a one or two possesion game, I would have to believe we are on a higher tier than NC State, BC and Miami.

BTW, all fans have the mentality that their team should win every game and are always looking for ways to improve the team.

Don't you want to know why Gail didn't attack Larkins in the second half? Yes, Larkins played a hell of a second half, but if I was a Duke fan, I would wonder why Williams, Black and Bales repeatedly given the ball downlow to continue to attack her and get her out of the game.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 02/02/06 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
How did you see the game on Comcast? There were no TV announcers nor any camera crews at the game (except for the TerpVision people). Plus, CSN was showing the Wizards game.

It was a streaming broadcast...I apologize.

Quote:
Do you honestly think that Maryland should have single-digit games against those 3 teams?

Yes (such is the nature of ACC hoops), but a team shouldn't need OT to finish off those teams. Duke defeated Georgia Tech by 8 during regulation (meaning GT didn't stand much of a chance to win the game LATE).

Quote:
Do I think we are in the upper tier of the ACC? The way we have played lately, nope. But if the team can can go into Carmichael and Cameron and either win, or make it a one or two possesion game, I would have to believe we are on a higher tier than NC State, BC and Miami.

Maryland defeated UNC last season and we heard the elite talk then. Florida State also defeated UNC last season but no one spoke that highly of the 'Noles. If Maryland wants to be elite, they have to start beating UNC and Duke on a regular basis. Probably won't happen with Duke, but UNC is a possibility.

Quote:
BTW, all fans have the mentality that their team should win every game and are always looking for ways to improve the team.

Agreed, but there's a thing called "respect". One should always acknowledge the tough play of one's competitors.

Quote:
Don't you want to know why Gail didn't attack Larkins in the second half? Yes, Larkins played a hell of a second half, but if I was a Duke fan, I would wonder why Williams, Black and Bales repeatedly given the ball downlow to continue to attack her and get her out of the game.

Nope, I'm not concerned with that at all. What I'm more concerned with is why Duke allowed Latta to hit the three at the end of the first half, as that play seemed to provide UNC with the spark they needed to make a second-half comeback. I also wondered why Erlana Larkins was left unattended at the top-of-the-key to shoot two wide-open three-pointers. HOWEVER, that's spilled milk. Duke will have a chance to tee-off on UNC come February 25. Up next: a VERY desperate Virginia Tech team. I won't be overlooking this game. In fact, I'll be tuning into this one.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 02/02/06 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I also wondered why Erlana Larkins was left unattended at the top-of-the-key to shoot two wide-open three-pointers.

She wasn't really let open, I just think the Duke scouting report told Chante she didn't have to be up tight on her. Granted Chante should have been closer especially on the second one, but who would have guessed that Larkins, whose hit 1 three all year, would make back-to-back long range shots.

I agree that the Latta three at the end of the first half was a huge momentum switch

O.G.

PostPosted: 02/02/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Joey Nations"]
Quote:
She wasn't really let open, I just think the Duke scouting report told Chante she didn't have to be up tight on her. Granted Chante should have been closer especially on the second one, but who would have guessed that Larkins, whose hit 1 three all year, would make back-to-back long range shots.

You can't blame Chante for the first. The second, probably. When someone's got the hot hand, you have to get up on 'em regardless of the %s. I remember Dennis Rodman hitting back-to-back 3s Shocked once in a game vs. the Atlanta Hawks. They stayed all over himj the rest of the night. Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/02/06 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

Question

Miami 4-4

Idea I don't think their has been an instance in which you made such statements either

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: