RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland vs. Wake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memphis10

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:18 pm    ::: Maryland vs. Wake Reply Reply with quote

What's wrong with you slacker turtle fans! Laughing You're team had to fight in OT to finish off Wake. Any insight. I was busy watching Ark and S. Carolina/ Stanford vs. USC

R.I.P Shara 1993-2009
R.I.P. Taylor Bradford
styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like the Terps have a target on their shells now that they're ranked so high.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess would be that nothing's wrong with the team except for the fact that it's not an elite ACC squad despite the record. The two elite ACC squads square off tonight. Maryland's a level below that, which is probably on par with NC State, a team that lost to Wake by 1 in Winston-Salem.

Also remember that Wake's pissed after losing to Georgia Tech on the road last week and getting trounced at home by UNC on Friday.

Should I also mention that Maryland's a shaky (but effective) road team?

1. Shaky: 3 road OT games (BC, UVa, Wake)
2. Effective: 3 road OT wins (BC, UVa, Wake)

The ACC is a talented league, but you have to wonder if maybe Maryland's playing to the level of the competition. With the exception of the Duke and FSU games, all of their ACC games have been pretty close and, with the exception of Duke, they've only played middle to lower-tier ACC teams thus far. Not sure what to expect when they play

@ Duke Feb 13
@ UNC Feb 9
@ NC State Feb 19

These rematches will be good as well

Virginia Feb 5
Boston College Feb 16

These five games will tell us something about Maryland basketball in 2005-06.

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 01/29/06 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey bball what do you think about the Hoo's loss to FSU today?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Hey bball what do you think about the Hoo's loss to FSU today?

Unfortunate but not unexpected. FSU is probably the #5 team (behind NC State) in the ACC right now. After losing a tough game to UNC last Sunday, the 'Noles came out and took control of the game from about the 10-minute mark in the first half. UVa couldn't buy a basket until Brenna heated up momentarily. She promptly returned to her no-show status in the second half.

Lyndra Littles was fantastic. If she was a better defender (her positioning is pretty bad on defense), she'd be a starter and a serious challenger to Coleman for Freshman of the Year in the ACC though she's still second to Coleman in my book.

And once again, Sharneé Zoll pulls her famous "I only play well for one half" stunt. She hasn't done squat in the first halves of the last two games. Here's hoping she watches the Duke/UNC game tonight. If she improves her shooting, she can be as good/dangerous as Lindsey Harding (though Zoll is the better passer while Lindsey is the better position defender and is much, much, much faster).

Am I worried? Nope. This is about what I expected. Now all this team has to do is regroup, beat VT on Thursday, look to upset either Maryland (Feb 5), Duke (Feb 10), or UNC (Feb 12), and then go 3-0 against the bottom of the ACC (Clemson, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech). That should put them right with or slightly above Miami for #6 in the conference. Not bad for a team that lost 3 starters from last season.

Mathies to LA 2013
O.G.

PostPosted: 01/29/06 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know that there's anything wrong with Maryland. Ask again if they lose to a lower/unranked team.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/29/06 6:15 pm    ::: There is something wrong Reply Reply with quote

This is the third or fourth straight road game where we have come out flat to start both halves. Once again we had to rely on defense in the closing minutes to force the game to OT, which has suddenly become Langhorne time.

Things I don't understand about this team.
1)Why it takes Crystal 20 minutes to realize she can dominate downlow.
2)Why this team needs to go to overtime to get the kick in the butt they need?
3)What is wrong with Shay. She did the little things today, but 2 out of 13 is awful. She's playing her way down to the ACC 3rd team
4)When will the wake up call happen? Miami and Virginia loom and the Terps need both to keep pace with UNC and Duke.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/29/06 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Langhorne with 34 & 14!

So on the one hand, some people say, what's wrong with the Terps, what's wrong with Shay, etc. On the other hand, some people say, why do the Terps need SWG when they already have so much talent?

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/29/06 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Langhorne with 34 & 14!

So on the one hand, some people say, what's wrong with the Terps, what's wrong with Shay, etc. On the other hand, some people say, why do the Terps need SWG when they already have so much talent?

1. Those are impressive stats for CLang! Twenty bucks says she's ACC POW.

2. It's not a talent issue so much as it's a chemistry issue. You already have a point guard who is among the league leaders in assists and assist-to-turnover ratio. Do you really need another point guard out there, especially one who hasn't proven much thus far?

I've been saying that Doron should be benched for the past 5 games, but it appears that the benching won't happen. With Miami going up to CP on Wednesday, it'd be advantageous to have Toliver out there to slow down Renee Taylor (aka Latta Lite).

Oh, and a team can have all the talent in the world and not win a damn thing. How do you think I feel right now as a Duke fan (though this could be the year)? How do you think the 2003, 2004, and 2005 Tennessee teams felt? Having talent means nothing if you don't have the right personnel excelling on the court at all times. The 2003-04 Lakers were immensely talented, but...

Mathies to LA 2013
xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 01/29/06 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfn 2005 said
"I've been saying that Doron should be benched for the past 5 games, but it appears that the benching won't happen."

Shay had a decent game against Georgia Tech going 5-7 from the field and 2-3 3 ptr's, w/ 4-6 ft. for 18 points. She has been in a slump but she does the other stuff that helps the team, besides too many turnovers,. imohp I don't think Tolliver is ready to start, yet. She's still wearing the sleave on her leg and she doesn't seem to have the foot speed she had early in the year. They're winning the games they should even if they are having to go into ot. This is still a youg team that's come from the bottom in just 3 1/2 years. I'm happy to have a winning team for a change, even if they make my heart stop once in a while with their overtime heorics. They are learning how to win. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: