RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kayla Burt retires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/06 8:56 pm    ::: Kayla Burt retires Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpY3E1NTBnBF9TAzk1ODYyMzQ4BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-washington-burtsretirement&prov=ap&type=lgns

PostPosted: 01/16/06 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have mixed emotions about this. I for one was glad she came back and played. Alot of people seemed to be really upset that she even decided to risk it and come back and play. I'm glad that she got to come back and play another season and a half, and hopefully that'll provide a little more closure for her than she had the first time she retired. She is lucky, though, that she made it through all this alive.

hooper1

PostPosted: 01/17/06 12:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She took a huge risk by returning after the defib was initially implanted. Frankly, I was pretty shocked that she managed to get a doctor or the university to approve it.

I always hated watching her play. It's like watching Jamie Carrie play. You just hold your breathe and hope that Jamie doesn't hit her head and Kayla doesn't suddenly drop.

Good decision to end the career. She's a lucky girl.

O.G.

PostPosted: 01/17/06 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hooper1 wrote:
She took a huge risk by returning after the defib was initially implanted. Frankly, I was pretty shocked that she managed to get a doctor or the university to approve it.

I always hated watching her play. It's like watching Jamie Carrie play. You just hold your breathe and hope that Jamie doesn't hit her head and Kayla doesn't suddenly drop.

That example highlights the risk. How many times have we seen Jamie Carey get clocked hard since she started playing again? Seems like it happens once every time I see her on TV.

threefrom60

PostPosted: 01/17/06 4:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:

That example highlights the risk. How many times have we seen Jamie Carey get clocked hard since she started playing again? Seems like it happens once every time I see her on TV.

Haha, just like Sue and the nose. She's playing without the mask in Russia right now - if she comes back to this league and tries to play without the mask, then we haven't seen the end of Sue and her broken noses. But that's just a pain and vanity issue - not a life or death issue, like Kayla and Jamie. It's true that Jamie seems to end up on the court hard everytime I see her. It always makes you gasp.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/17/06 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game is her love; she cannot IMO by criticized for trying to squeeze whatever time with her love she had possible.

It's unfortunate it had to end this way, but it's great she got the chance to come back and be a teammate and enjoy it again. I understand she'll be a student assistant the rest of the season, good for the team and school for doing that.

Hope only good things come her way!

inky

PostPosted: 01/17/06 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad such a vibrant young woman didn't die playing basketball. While I steadfastly believe in her right to play basketball if she wants to, I question the wisdom of her decision to play.

Two trainers were touching her the second time the defibrillator went off, and got shocked, too. Holy crap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: