RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's wrong with Notre Dame?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey87

PostPosted: 01/14/06 3:24 pm    ::: What's wrong with Notre Dame? Reply Reply with quote

they keep on losing were they overrated? Or are they just going thru a strech right now they cant win the games they are supposed to win i'm surprised at them they have been one of the biggest dissapointments this year. Sad

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 01/14/06 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and how will this affect Duffy's draft stock?

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/14/06 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Irish were a little overrated ...

I know when I did my preseason poll that it was hard to find enough teams to rank in the top 15 (peace, PUMatty), and Notre Dame seemed like a good fallback. The Irish had a strong point guard, a great coach and a record of success so they made a lot more sense than Vanderbilt or someone like that.

And then they started strong, which moved them up, and made it easy to think 'Well, they really were pretty good.'

All that said, watch out in postseason. If ND gets to the Big Polka, Muffet is always dangerous.

PostPosted: 01/14/06 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK: How would you rank the non-Cappie PGs -- Grant, Blue and Duffy?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/14/06 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think the Irish were a little overrated ...

I know when I did my preseason poll that it was hard to find enough teams to rank in the top 15 (peace, PUMatty), and Notre Dame seemed like a good fallback. The Irish had a strong point guard, a great coach and a record of success so they made a lot more sense than Vanderbilt or someone like that.

And then they started strong, which moved them up, and made it easy to think 'Well, they really were pretty good.'

All that said, watch out in postseason. If ND gets to the Big Polka, Muffet is always dangerous.

It reminds me of the Notre Dame team a few years ago that came into the tournament as a No. 11 seed, yet made the Sweet 16. I could see Duffy and company doing the same.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/14/06 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the game - Notre Dame couldn't do anything in the first half.

Duffy didn't have her best game, but she's not the reason they were being outrebounded 40-12 at one point in the second half. She will be fine in the pros. The inside people from ND couldn't do anything at all and at only 5-7, Duffy isn't going to be able to do much when she's got all the focus on her. She hit a couple of threes -- one that was probably 8 or 9 feet behind the line -- and she'll be fine in the W, in my opinion.

umbeta1455

PostPosted: 01/14/06 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always thought Notre Dame was overrated this year. Well at least for the rankings they were getting. They just don't seem to have it this year.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 01/14/06 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Blue is looker better and better.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/14/06 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND has no legit posts and spotty guards. Duffy isnt the kind of point guard to carry a team on her back offensively.

PostPosted: 01/14/06 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
ND has no legit posts and spotty guards. Duffy isnt the kind of point guard to carry a team on her back offensively.

Blue is not exactly playing with great posts either (though the other guards are good). If people are going to make excuses for Duffy, it's only fair to do the same for Nikki.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/15/06 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
Streaks wrote:

Blue is not exactly playing with great posts either (though the other guards are good). If people are going to make excuses for Duffy, it's only fair to do the same for Nikki.

Nikki Blue has 66 turnovers on the season, Duffy has 38. Nikki Blue can be sparatic at times while Duffy is more calm cool and collected. Both are good in different ways.

PostPosted: 01/15/06 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
styxfan22 wrote:
Streaks wrote:

Nikki Blue has 66 turnovers on the season, Duffy has 38. Nikki Blue can be sparatic at times while Duffy is more calm cool and collected. Both are good in different ways.

You gotta wonder, thought, what Nikki Blue could do with a real coach.

~rAf

~rAf
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/15/06 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how effective Muffet is recruiting these past few years... and in developing posts. For instance, she won the battle with UConn over Borton but Borton didn't develop as I expected (not avoiding the wins ND has had over UConn these past few years).

I just get the sense that other teams (HELLO St. John's) are growing and moving forward and ND is drifting off the radar.

PostPosted: 01/15/06 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville ran a box and one on Duffy for the entire game. No one else could do anything, so they never had to come out of it. She had a 6-0 player on her the entire game. Again, she's not the reason they were trailing in rebounds 40-12 in the second half.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/15/06 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Megan Duffy had the other two guards that Nikki Blue has to play with, things would be a much different story. No one else on the team is averaging more than 9 points per game, and the numers two through four scorers on the team are freshmen or sophomores.

I'm not making excuses as to why Notre Dame is bad - they just aren't very good and don't have much this year. Courtney LaVere really isn't helping much, and beyond that they're just too young.

No WNBA team is going to draft Duffy to come in and be a big-time scorer; that's the difference between her and the Ivory Lattas of the world. She runs a team extremely efficiently and is very even keeled and fundamentally sound.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/15/06 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you run a box-and-one on a player, and the rest of the team can't respond well enough to force you out of it, that says a lot.

I think both Duffy and Grant will do well in the pros. Grant may have a problem because of her slight build, but she's done nothing but improve in college.

I don't think Nikki Blue is a point guard, and if she is, she's not a very good one. Her pro prospects are in the Dee Dee Wheeler, Sheila Lambert, Tamicha Jackson mode ...

PostPosted: 01/15/06 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

They sure weren't dangerous last season, when they had an even more talented team than this one (with Batteast), yet got beaten soundly by UConn in the Big East Tournament (after beating the Huskies in Storrs only a few weeks earlier), struggled past #13 seed UC Santa Barbara in the first round, and blew a sizeable first half lead and lost in the second round to Arizona State.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 01/16/06 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:

Not hardly. No excuses needed for Duffy. She attracts 10 times more attention then Blue. Simply put, when teams start focusing on stopping Blue the way they do Duffy then we can talk about 'fair'. I think HomereCecil & others have made fine points.

PostPosted: 01/16/06 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
ClayK wrote:

and blew a sizeable first half lead and lost in the second round to Arizona State.

I'm not going to say that this is why they lost, but when Allen blew out her knee, all the enthusiasm seemed to go out of the team. They showed the bench when she was still down, and they looked shell-shocked or something. They might have still lost, but I think they could have pulled it out if not for that.

And this year, I agree ND was probably a little over-rated going in. but they should be much better than this. Duffy can't do it alone but even she has been pretty inconsistent lately.

Hopefully, they can get something together and make a little run. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait til football season or start following fencing or something because the men are no better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: