RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pat Summit and Mickie Demoss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24duzitall

PostPosted: 01/14/06 11:41 am    ::: Pat Summit and Mickie Demoss Reply Reply with quote

when i was at the game last weekend, it was brought up that pat and mickie had a "falling out"(aka break up) and that is why mickie left- not that uk was a good opportunity for her. am i out of the loop on this one? i wasn't on message boards when all of that took place so i wondered if anyone had info on it.
was it glossed over for pr sake? if this is old hat,sorry.i looked in archives but couldn't find anything.

PostPosted: 01/14/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything to it...I saw them sitting together at last years SEC tourney watching games...And MD came back to Knoxville for some type of celebration last year, it may have been when Pat set the wins record, but they had pictures of her in the dressing room...

Mickie had been job hunting for a couple of years...I think it was just her time to be a head coach again...

Grumps

MadDog22

PostPosted: 01/14/06 9:01 pm    ::: Mickie & Pat Reply Reply with quote

I find that hard to believe too as they still seem to be close friends and Mickie was in the audience when Pat set the record for most wins.
Word around TN is that Holly is getting ready to move out on her own. Have you heard anything about this Grumps? I've heard she isn't as content/happy at Tennessee as before.
I would love to see her as a head coach. I think she'd be great!

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/14/06 11:55 pm    ::: Re: Mickie & Pat Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
I find that hard to believe too as they still seem to be close friends and Mickie was in the audience when Pat set the record for most wins.
Word around TN is that Holly is getting ready to move out on her own. Have you heard anything about this Grumps? I've heard she isn't as content/happy at Tennessee as before.
I would love to see her as a head coach. I think she'd be great!

I don't know if it is unhappiness or just the desire to move on up to a head coaching job...She has taken a couple of interviews in the past year or so but it would take a good job for her to go...It looks like Pat could coach for another 10+ years so hanging around TN isn't the way to get a HC job...Plus I would think they would hire someone with previous HC experience...

Grumps

ridor

PostPosted: 01/15/06 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Coach Summitt is holding the position for Holly Warlick eventually.

R-

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/15/06 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I think Coach Summitt is holding the position for Holly Warlick eventually.

R-

I wouldn't bet the farm on it...

Grumps

Dark Sloth

PostPosted: 01/15/06 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also...wouldn't it be better for TN to get someone totally different who won't feel the pressure of having been in PS's shadow for so long? Remember, was it Bill Gutherie at North Carolina after Dean Smith? He was DS's longtime assistant and he had a good record after DS, but he wasn't DS. The natives were restless until he left. I think a long-time PS assistant would have a difficult time at TN....Better to go and build your own program...show, what you can do...

ridor

PostPosted: 01/15/06 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps. Only time will tell.

Kim Mulkey-Robertson would have get something for Louisiana Tech if they caved in to her demands.

They did not and KMR got the National Champions for Baylor Lady Bears instead.

R-

24duzitall

PostPosted: 01/15/06 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i think it was la techs loss there.she is a good coach. she showed great loyalty but they only offered a one year contract. kind of a slap in the face in my book. same for holly. if she was up for the job after pat, i'd hope they'd offer her something more than a one year deal. why stay so long if you don't want to take over when the hc is done?

PostPosted: 01/15/06 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't make reservations for Pat Summitt's retirement dinner just yet. She's only 53. One thousand career wins is a reasonable goal for her.

http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/summitt_pat00.html

MadDog22

PostPosted: 01/15/06 8:39 pm    ::: Pat's retirement Reply Reply with quote

I think Holly likes being #2. Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach or wants the job.
While I think Holly would make an excellent HC, maybe she has her "dream job" right now. And if she thinks so, good for her!
There are many head coaching positions that would be a whole lot worse than being the Associate Head Coach at Tennessee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: