RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue v Minnesota
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:02 am    ::: Purdue v Minnesota Reply Reply with quote

Very important B11 game tonight for sole possession of first place in a league Michigan State and Ohio State were supposed to dominate.

If Purdue wins, they are in the driver's seat for the title, IMO. They have a win over Ohio State already, and do not play at Michigan State. That leaves them no worse than 1-1 against both UMinn and OSU, and good chance to finish 1-0 against MSU. If they win tonight, they have a very good chance of going 15-1 in the coference, assuming a loss at OSU.

If Minnesota wins, the top of the conference gets more muddled. All of the top teams would have a loss except Minnesota, but Minnesota would not have played any of the tough road games yet.

Pretty tough game to call. If it was at Mackey, I would give a good edge to Purdue, given Minnesota's road problems. In Minneapolis it is much closer. The X factor will be Aya Traore, IMO. The Gophers don't have anyone that can match her combination of size and speed. No one in the conference does. Is she plays like she has recently, it will be tough for Minnesota to win. On the other hand, if she doesn't Purdue's offense takes a big hit and it could be tough for them to score much. Without a penetrator, they become a lot easier to guard.

Capri

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game is doubly hard to predict because Purdue's play has been all over the place. This is a game that Minnesota "should" win, but Purdue could easily steal it with good defense and a hot scorerer or two.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue has shown more heart than any other Big 10 team, I think. The Boilers stumbled early but manage to make plays when they need to -- and George Washington's win over Temple makes an even stronger case for Purdue.

That said, the Boilermakers don't seem completely solid to me, and they will have to play close to their maximum pretty much every time out to keep winning. Teams like Tennessee and Duke can afford to have an off night because they have so much raw talent ...

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict a Gopher win.

The Boilers barely escaped the first two games of this road swing against far lesser teams. I haven't seen anything to suggest they can beat ranked teams away from Mackey.

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I predict a Gopher win.

The Boilers barely escaped the first two games of this road swing against far lesser teams. I haven't seen anything to suggest they can beat ranked teams away from Mackey.

This is a tough one to call. Purdue's problem is that it plays to the level of its competition (for some unknown reason).

There's always the chance of being blownout tonight, but I do feel Purdue will step it up and it will be a battle the entire way through.

Purdue also needs to be more consistent. They have trouble with that a lot, and they need to start putting complete games together.

PostPosted: 01/12/06 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to predict Purdue by at least 8.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to story in the local paper, the players seem real pumped with memories of recent blowouts at Minnesota. I am never sure how to take that, since it seems to me you would be motivated for every game, but hopefully that will help.

I am not sure what to expect. It is put-up or shut-up time for Purdue it seems. Are you going to be a Top 10 team this season with a shot at a good tournament run. Or are you going to be a Top 20 team that expects to make it to -- and not past -- the Sweet 16. How do in this game will help to answer that.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I like that prediction DT. The players seem ready to go. Can't wait to watch tonight!!

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
According to story in the local paper, the players seem real pumped with memories of recent blowouts at Minnesota. I am never sure how to take that, since it seems to me you would be motivated for every game, but hopefully that will help.

I am not sure what to expect. It is put-up or shut-up time for Purdue it seems. Are you going to be a Top 10 team this season with a shot at a good tournament run. Or are you going to be a Top 20 team that expects to make it to -- and not past -- the Sweet 16. How do in this game will help to answer that.

I don't know if it's put up or shut up time......it's not like Purdue has been getting any press, so no one has any expectations. What I think this is is a statement game for them. Yeah, they beat OSU, but can they do it on the road.

This game won't make or break our Big Ten season, but it would go a long way in cementing us as the clear leaders to this point.

I just want high-level consistent basketball, which is something that Curry obviously wants too since she's constantly lamenting the lack of it.

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I should be hurt by that, but maybe it will work out for the Gophers. Do you want to start a pre-game thread for this one like the UConn-UNC and UConn-Tenn games? Wink

As for the game, I have no idea what to expect. The Gophers usually play better at home, but have been inconsistent this year everywhere. Purdue is a much better team this year and will be looking for revenge for the sweep last year. Bolden did a good job on Gearlds in the first two games last year (and I know Gearlds was not 100%), but Katie had a great game in the Big 10 tournament.

I'm hoping Jamie is back on track with her performance in Bloomington and Kelly and Tash continue to be reliable scorers off the bench.

Of course a Gopher win would be great and help their confidence going into another big game on Sunday with MSU.

Go Big 10.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I should be hurt by that, but maybe it will work out for the Gophers. Do you want to start a pre-game thread for this one like the UConn-UNC and UConn-Tenn games? Wink

No, I think my poetry days are over! Embarassed

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

A haiku:

Minnesota Gophs
kicked our butts badly last year.
Redemption tonight?

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/12/06 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

Holy smokes...I forgot about DT dooming UConn with his poems. Laughing No poems for Purdue necessary DT, thanks!!

Go Boilers!

PostPosted: 01/12/06 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

A haiku:

Minnesota Gophs
Redemption tonight?

That's pretty good matty!!!! (and I hope it's true!)

PostPosted: 01/12/06 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

A haiku:

Minnesota Gophs
Redemption tonight?

Okay, I have a ton of work to do but I wanted to try a haiku too since I haven't in forever. Here goes.....you can boo me if it sux!!!!

Purdue on a roll
Play the tough Gophers tonight
Keep the train chugging!!

PostPosted: 01/12/06 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keep the train chugging!!

I like it!!!

and if I had ANY kind of writing skills I might try one myself, but I'll leave that to more capable hands.

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aya Traore
driving, slashing, scores at will
Purdue gets road win Very Happy

ILuvCatch

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

June, Bob and Terry.....Purdue loses.

-Tamika Catchings
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
Aya Traore

Train kept a rollin all night long
With a heave, and a ho
But I just couldnt tell her so

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
boilerjay wrote:
Aya Traore

With a heave, and a ho

dt, you have no idea how a haiku works do you. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
boilerjay wrote:
Aya Traore

With a heave, and a ho

dt, you have no idea how a haiku works do you. Laughing

But I know a hit song! Laughing

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boilerjay wrote:
Aya Traore

Jay, is that your new puppy or something? If so, very very cute!!

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:50 pm    ::: Just a prediction Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota by 5. There's nothing like home court advantage, especially for a team like Minny. Smile

Mathies to LA 2013
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But can Minny defeat Purdue without Moose (McCarville) and Squirrel (Whalen)? Especially because Purdue has Natasha...

Smile

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/12/06 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
But can Minny defeat Purdue without Moose (McCarville) and Squirrel (Whalen)? Especially because Purdue has Natasha...

Smile

Laughing Good one

If this game were played anywhere else, I'd pick Purdue. As it stands, I'm going with the Gophers on this one.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: