RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2024 WNBA Rules Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPD

PostPosted: 05/02/24 6:25 pm    ::: 2024 WNBA Rules Change Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA will usher in a pair of rule changes for the 2024 season, revising the replay challenge format while also eliminating 20-second timeouts.

Teams will be awarded a second coach's challenge if the first one was successful. In a continuation of the previous rule, teams still will need to have a timeout in order to initiate a replay challenge.

Challenges are limited to a foul call, an out-of-bounds violation, goaltending or basket interference.

Teams will now have five "team" timeouts and one "reset" timeout, in a change from four full team timeouts and two 20-second timeouts in previous seasons. A reset timeout allows teams to advance the ball and make substitutions but not huddle with coaches.

Teams can use a reset timeout in the final two minutes of regulation or overtime.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40071209/wnba-adjust-challenge-rules-2024-season

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/02/24 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many times in the history of the WNBA has the goaltending violation been called?

PostPosted: 05/02/24 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
How many times in the history of the WNBA has the goaltending violation been called?

Between about 2003 and about 2020, ten times. I asked the same question a few years back and got that answer.

I like the idea of non-real-timeouts to advance the ball but the other stuff is going to add more stoppages and sitting around watching the back of Eric Brewton's head. Games were already creeping longer and longer last year (they rarely fit in that neat 2hr window anymore). I hope this league doesn't get to the stage I hit with the NBA a few years back where I tend to wait until the 4th quarter to see if it's still close, then actually tune in if the scoreboard suggests it's worth it. The endless stoppages from timeouts/adverts really killed the entertainment level of complete games for me.

PostPosted: 05/03/24 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Between about 2003 and about 2020, ten times. I asked the same question a few years back and got that answer.

I like the idea of non-real-timeouts to advance the ball but the other stuff is going to add more stoppages and sitting around watching the back of Eric Brewton's head. Games were already creeping longer and longer last year (they rarely fit in that neat 2hr window anymore). I hope this league doesn't get to the stage I hit with the NBA a few years back where I tend to wait until the 4th quarter to see if it's still close, then actually tune in if the scoreboard suggests it's worth it. The endless stoppages from timeouts/adverts really killed the entertainment level of complete games for me.

Thanks, Richyyy.

PostPosted: 05/03/24 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reset timeout is a great idea.

My proposal would be that any timeout is either a reset (advance the ball without huddling) or a full timeout (huddle but don't advance the ball).

Of course, we'd lose some advertising windows that way.

PostPosted: 05/03/24 12:59 pm    ::: Re: 2024 WNBA Rules Change Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Challenges are limited to a foul call, an out-of-bounds violation, goaltending or basket interference.

What else were you allowed to challenge before?

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Between 2003 and 2020? I thought that Gojira was credited with the first-ever goaltend?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/24 2:25 pm    ::: Re: 2024 WNBA Rules Change Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
SPD wrote:

What else were you allowed to challenge before?

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Between 2003 and 2020? I thought that Gojira was credited with the first-ever goaltend?

Pretty sure Yo Griffith had the first

PostPosted: 05/03/24 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn't saying there were none before that period, simply that that was the period I had stats for.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: