Board Junkies Forums

Caitlin Clark
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiezen

PostPosted: 05/09/24 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
That's kinda' stupid. Why are you penalizing the new fans? You will never going to see fans from the NBA to require what happened gazillion years ago. It's disingenuous. The league should embraced everyone. No matter you disagree with their opinions.

For me, it's not so much about the exuberance of the new fans but the misinformation, hyperbole, ignorance of the league as a whole. Have your favorites but don't misconstrue your favorites as the end all, be all of the league.

Oh boy, you should look at the NBA Twitter/X then. Heck, even ESPN was guilty. They advertised disgusting narratives and misinformation just to prop their favorites. See the whole MVP discourse last year between Embiid and Jokic which was ugly. Trust me, WNBA is just lightweight. Laughing

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/09/24 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:

Oh boy, you should look at the NBA Twitter/X then. Heck, even ESPN was guilty. They advertised disgusting narratives and misinformation just to prop their favorites. See the whole MVP discourse last year between Embiid and Jokic which was ugly. Trust me, WNBA is just lightweight. Laughing

So we're imitating that part of big time pro sports too then? Oh well...
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/09/24 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

Don't you just love it when someone tries to play in your face behind some, "You should put up with bullshit because everyone else does"?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/24 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

The bad comes with the good

PostPosted: 05/09/24 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
boogiezen wrote:
That's kinda' stupid. Why are you penalizing the new fans? You will never going to see fans from the NBA to require what happened gazillion years ago. It's disingenuous. The league should embraced everyone. No matter you disagree with their opinions.

For me, it's not so much about the exuberance of the new fans but the misinformation, hyperbole, ignorance of the league as a whole. Have your favorites but don't misconstrue your favorites as the end all, be all of the league.

Agreed! As a fan and supporter since the beginning, I am so happy for the growth of the league. Increased visibility, social media, NIL, rivalries, etc. have been a wonderful thing! I absolutely welcome new fans, but am truly irritated not just by the misinformation but the surefootedness of the ignorance and disrespect that is coming from so many, often who don't seem like bball fans at all. Some of it is down right awful and in turn the push back from more seasoned fans sometimes is harsh in response to the disrespect to the point that folks appear to be irritated with the player. I've seen no indication that CC wants all of the foolishness around her name, image, ,etc and to be honest it is and has been exploitive in many ways, in my opinion. She did not ask for this and seems to be excited about living out her dream of playing in the league built by people she respects and admires. I wish folks would give her space and grace and enjoy her journey.

The beautiful thing is that the new "stars" (Clark, Angel, Cam, Rickea, Kamilla, etc) seem to be very knowledgeable of the league and respectful of the current and former players and the opportunities afforded to them. My hope is that the league leans into the popularity of all these players because they are loved and supported by varying demographics who may indeed love the league as a whole once they see the skill, talent, rivalries and competitiveness of the league.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/09/24 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me it's the deliberate, active ignorance I've run across. Like Clark is the *only* player that matters and that has ever mattered and that will ever matter. It's offputting.

And why should we *want* to emulate the worst of the NBA fan base? Why should we not want to nurture something better? We already have to deal with casual and systemic sexism, racism, homophobia, and transphobia from outside the fandom. Isn't that enough?

PostPosted: 05/09/24 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one is actually forcing the so called established fanbase of the W to be like the NBA. Laughing I'm just saying that every fan or whatever is different. You can't force them to be like you. That's how the league will get the attention, good or bad.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
tfan

PostPosted: 05/09/24 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/shorts/h-T-1j63ErE?si=YGIomL3y1Arnbk0B

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Oi_YsXJBKQ?si=jecWH9cm7C41Mdci" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/10/24 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
No one is actually forcing the so called established fanbase of the W to be like the NBA. Laughing I'm just saying that every fan or whatever is different. You can't force them to be like you. That's how the league will get the attention, good or bad.

I still think you are not grasping where we are coming from. Its not about the difference in how fandoms fan. Its about truth and reality vs. ignorance and misinformation. If you are advocating for the right of the new wave of fandom to ignore reality and see all aspects of the league from a very narrow perspective...well, I suppose that is your right. Conversely, its our right as the have an opinion on about them doing that. Most probably don't care what we think in the first place. If they do, it might encourage them to dig a little deeper, get a different perspective. Its gonna be what its gonna be.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/10/24 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
For me it's the deliberate, active ignorance I've run across. Like Clark is the *only* player that matters and that has ever mattered and that will ever matter. It's offputting.

And why should we *want* to emulate the worst of the NBA fan base? Why should we not want to nurture something better? We already have to deal with casual and systemic sexism, racism, homophobia, and transphobia from outside the fandom. Isn't that enough?

This.

Clark is fun, dynamic, and has brought a ton of attention to the league.

But she’s not even the only rookie that is hugely popular. And ignoring the impact of NIL (the true game changer here), also is ignorant.

We’ve seen college players as dynamic as Clark, even more so. What we haven’t had is college players able to capitalize on their popularity and market themselves. This is the quality that is going to impact the league the most.

The idea that Reese, for instance, who is the face of a Good American campaign, the face of rebook (where she is going to get her own shoe and own line of clothes), came into the league with the most endorsements - and had 400k+ views on a livestream of a game not televised is irrelevant is quite the take. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/10/24 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back when rock and roll mattered, fans who had loved a band from their first obscure single would first resent latecomers who jumped on the bandwagon and then, paradoxically, quit supporting their once-favorite band because, now that they were successful, they had "sold out."

Human beings are weird creatures.

PostPosted: 05/10/24 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ball don't lie.

Once the new fans see their college favorites go up against the established stars of the league, they'll see what's what.

Let them have their preseason hype.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/10/24 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
Ball don't lie.

Once the new fans see their college favorites go up against the established stars of the league, they'll see what's what.

Let them have their preseason hype.

It's true every year, but with less hype. Already some fan "favorites" have been cut because it's a completely different level of play. And it's not just physical, it's mental -- the game moves much faster and how quickly players can process what's happening and make decisions is something that can't be predicted until the real games start.

Exhibition games are pretty meaningless in every professional sport, and the WNBA is no exception. When the real whistles start to blow, then we'll find out.

(I will say, though, that I expect Caitlin Clark to be good to very good. She's the real deal ...)

PostPosted: 05/11/24 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

This right here. I'm glad that more people are watching WBB and that the game is growing, but I wish some of these newer fans would learn a little about the game before commenting.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 05/12/24 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
boogiezen wrote:

I still think you are not grasping where we are coming from. Its not about the difference in how fandoms fan. Its about truth and reality vs. ignorance and misinformation. If you are advocating for the right of the new wave of fandom to ignore reality and see all aspects of the league from a very narrow perspective...well, I suppose that is your right. Conversely, its our right as the have an opinion on about them doing that. Most probably don't care what we think in the first place. If they do, it might encourage them to dig a little deeper, get a different perspective. Its gonna be what its gonna be.

Oh I do. Lol. The truth the new fans under this new era has no time to learn about history. I've seen comments with the whole new generation that it was easy to score under the Jordan era and that he played against bunch of plumbers, diminishing his competition, etc. But that's part of growing popularity. And the WNBA is not an exception. It shouldn't be if you want the league to grow.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/24 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark, much like Larry Bird, the focus of talks about race and double standards in sports

https://apnews.com/article/caitlin-clark-race-women-college-basketball-b277e81e47c8d9ecc6554720b1a35065

Quote:
Clark has said she and Reese are just pieces of a larger movement.

“I would say me and Angel have always been great competitors,” Clark said prior to Iowa’s Elite Eight matchup with Reese and LSU in March. “I think Angel would say the same, like it’s not just us in women’s basketball. That’s not the only competitive thing about where our game is at, and that’s what makes it so good. We need multiple people to be really good.”

PostPosted: 05/16/24 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f_EjwDPueTU?si=GFZZrRlsQj55LPxb" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 05/16/24 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="435" height="773" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GMNJ_nEdXFo" title="Aliyah Boston builds up Caitlin Clark after tough first half to WNBA debut | Yahoo Sports" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 05/16/24 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/16/24 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love CC , but i hate her new fans. They make things so much harder for her than what they should be . Yes she brings eyes and i love it but the eyes she brings are so narrow mindedly dumb its annoying as hell . Especially the ones with big followings who have no clue of Dewanna Bonner or any other player outside of CC in this league smh.

PostPosted: 05/16/24 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I love CC , but i hate her new fans. They make things so much harder for her than what they should be . Yes she brings eyes and i love it but the eyes she brings are so narrow mindedly dumb its annoying as hell . Especially the ones with big followings who have no clue of Dewanna Bonner or any other player outside of CC in this league smh.

Maybe they will grow........Hope so. Very Happy

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 05/16/24 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Caitlin's fans turn on her if her play doesn't translate into wins? (Yes I know its a team game and you know its a team game but some of those folks don't understand that.)
tfan

PostPosted: 05/16/24 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Will Caitlin's fans turn on her if her play doesn't translate into wins?

I think they are looking to watch her play well. If she doesn't play close to what she did in college they will just stop watching. Even if she does well I think the Clark viewership will not stay at the level it has been since the curiosity of seeing her in the pros will be satisfied.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aZn19Hhrh1Q?si=GogJ7t8OFRIr2u9t" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 05/16/24 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FXCDev74Sfk?si=-mvNp_srRHQ6aTzH" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 05/18/24 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cv1Kn-zy8is?si=U5dnltSgMj4Bmc0V" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-kd2GdHWVhg?si=cIfMqve-Nz4tZYxR" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eclair

PostPosted: 05/18/24 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find the new fans’ narrative about the league having it out for Clark and wanting her to fail hilarious / vaguely terrifying. Today I read that Stewie would never lay a screen on a veteran player, also that Clark is being treated like Jackie Robinson when he first broke into the big leagues.

Didn’t we used to call this Our Girls Syndrome?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: