RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings moving "Downtown"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/20/24 2:09 pm    ::: Dallas Wings moving "Downtown" Reply Reply with quote

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/wings/2024/04/20/dallas-officials-poised-to-approve-deal-to-bring-wnbas-dallas-wings-to-downtown-arena/?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=topic%2Fwnba

...15 year lease

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/20/24 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The article is oaywalled but I’m very curious about this. Is it the same arena that the Mavs play at?

chadb

PostPosted: 04/20/24 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
The article is oaywalled but I’m very curious about this. Is it the same arena that the Mavs play at?

I can't read the article either but know that it is not the same arena as the Mavs. I'm curious if there will be improvements made by the city as it alludes to

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/24 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's paywalled incredibly poorly. If you just hit stop on your browser while the page is loading, you can read it fine.

They're talking about going to the Dallas Memorial Auditorium, which apparently holds 9-10,000, but only after refurbishing it. It all still seems a bit messy.

Quote:
“A professional sports team has expressed desire to relocate to the city as its resident home base,” a copy of the City Council draft resolution said, “and the city recognizes the potential detrimental effects the relocation may cause the professional sports team; and...the city recognizes the long-term economic and collateral benefits to be gained by activating use of the arena through the relocation of a professional sports team to the city.” The resolution draft doesn’t explain what the specific impacts of the move could be.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

No. The Mavs play at American Airlines Center. The Wings are in negotiation to play at Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Presumably they would move after the scheduled renovation.

PostPosted: 04/21/24 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

No. The Mavs play at American Airlines Center. The Wings are in negotiation to play at Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Presumably they would move after the scheduled renovation.

Yup, they're talking spring of '26

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/24 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Overall right now the wings play 30-46 minutes OUTSIDE of downtown dallas or the CITY of dallas. They currently play in 6,500 Max college arena in Arlington 5 minutes from cowboy stadium. This move brings us 5 minutes from the Mavericks in actually Dallas instead of 45 minutes away aka Disconnect within both programs. I like it , AAC is literally maybe even less than 5 minutes from the Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Larger arena and one step closer to getting Marc Cuban to say yes to the AAC (American Airlines Arena) partnership for the Alrington aka Dallas Wings.

PostPosted: 04/23/24 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Overall right now the wings play 30-46 minutes OUTSIDE of downtown dallas or the CITY of dallas. They currently play in 6,500 Max college arena in Arlington 5 minutes from cowboy stadium. This move brings us 5 minutes from the Mavericks in actually Dallas instead of 45 minutes away aka Disconnect within both programs. I like it , AAC is literally maybe even less than 5 minutes from the Dallas Memorial Auditorium. Larger arena and one step closer to getting Marc Cuban to say yes to the AAC (American Airlines Arena) partnership for the Alrington aka Dallas Wings.

Ah. I appreciate the insight from a local. I hope the renovations go well and that this is a good move.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/23/24 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Ah. I appreciate the insight from a local. I hope the renovations go well and that this is a good move.

Np , all local fans are EXCITED as hell for this move . Literally with dallas traffic having to get on I-30 or George Bush Tollway to make a 7 pm game on a tuesday , thursday or friday night is horrible. No public transportation neither in arlington so YOU HAVE TO DRIVE to the games. Dallas Memorial is literally right at the west end where ALL trains meeting green , blue , red, orange . EVERYONE in the city of Dallas will have new access publically to get to the games hell im excited to ride the train lol because driving is soo tiresome. Come on 2026 bring us to Memorial Razz

PostPosted: 04/24/24 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does it look like that picture was taken in 1983?

PostPosted: 04/24/24 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The move is official . City counsel approved Smile 2026 Dallas wings will be IN DALLAS FINALLY !!!

https://www.dallascitynews.net/dallas-city-council-approves-15-year-use-agreement-for-wnba-dallas-wings-to-play-in-kay-bailey-hutchison-convention-center-dallas-memorial-arena

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: