RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Predictions for 2024

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/14/24 3:39 pm    ::: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Hi, thought I'd join in and share my team rankings.

I think more important than the specific rankings, which I kept changing constantly, are the following tiers that teams seem to fall in for me. Within these tiers, I can't really decide where to rank them:

1 - In a Class By Themselves: Las Vegas Aces
2 - Legitimate Contenders: Seattle Storm, New York Liberty, Connecticut Sun
3 - Playoff Caliber: Indiana Fever, Dallas Wings, Phoenix Mercury, Minnesota Lynx, Atlanta Dream
4 - Looks Like a Lottery Team: Chicago Sky, Los Angeles Sparks, Washington Mystics

#1 LAS VEGAS ACES -- Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, A'ja Wilson, Kiah Stokes
The Aces have won two championships in a row, the entire starting lineup is back, and they added an offensive center in Megan Gustafson to compliment the defensive-only Kiah Stokes. Together, they make a great two-headed center for Becky Hammon to use as she sees fit. The best chess player in the WNBA has the best chess pieces. Nothing is a lock, but no team has a better chance to win the championship than the Aces.

#2 SEATTLE STORM -- Skylar Diggins-Smith, Jewell Loyd, Jordan Horston, Nneka Ogwumike, Ezi Magbegor
There were lots of teams who got a lot better with free agency and the draft. The Storm are the one I think are going to come together for immediate results. The big 3 of Diggins-Smith, Loyd, and Ogwumike is formidable, and Horston and Magbegore have upside that could elevate this starting 5 to the top of the league.

#3 NEW YORK LIBERTY -- Courtney Vandersloot, Sabrina Ionescu, Betnijah Laney, Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones
The Liberty are last year's runner up, were good enough to beat the Aces in the Commissioner's Cup, and they return all five starters. The superteam has been together for a year, which is usually what needs to happen. There is no way Breanna Stewart, a multi-time champion and former Finals MVP will go into a shooting slump in the playoffs the way she did last year. So why aren't the Liberty #2 or even #1? There were so many teams that got better in the off-season, and the Liberty did almost nothing. Even the Aces added Megan Gustafson to address one of their weaknesses. The Liberty did make an extremely minor move and add Kennedy Burke (who was out of the league last year) in an attempt to address their perimeter defense problems, but they lost Stefanie Dolson.
In a dramatic off-season, nothing interesting happened with the Liberty at all, and as a fan, I'm just not feeling any buzz about the team at all. I tuned into the pre-season game against Chicago expecting that seeing all the players would get me primed for the season, I don't put any stock in pre-season, but the game was such a disaster and they looked so bad that I'm still not feeling it. The Liberty will be very good, but my gut tells me I shouldn't put them at #2. Besides, going with the odds-on favorites for the top 2 spots is boring. Smile

#4 CONNECTICUT SUN -- Tiffany Mitchell, Dijonai Carrington, DeWanna Bonner, Alyssa Thomas, Brionna Jones
The Sun redid their back court, but I'm not sure it's any better. Tiffany Mitchell isn't really a point guard. That said, last year, Alyssa Thomas dragged this team to the semi-finals by her labrums without Brionna Jones. With Jones back, Connecticut's a Final Four team.

#5 INDIANA FEVER -- Caitlin Clark, Kelsey Mitchell, Katie Lou Samuelsson, NaLyssa Smith, Aliyah Boston
The Fever have a potential Big 3 in Clark, Smith, and Boston, but they don't have enough of a supporting cast to make them a true contender this year. They're young and they need to grow.

#6 DALLAS WINGS -- Jacy Sheldon, Arike Ogunbowale, Satou Sabally, Natasha Howard, Teiera McCowan
The backcourt pairing of Sheldon and Ogunbowale is intriguing: Jacy's defense and playmaking ability should compliment Arike's scoring prowess nicely. Natasha Howard is awesome except when she wears a Liberty jersey, and Tiera McCowan is a solid and imposing big. Add the best player of them all, Satou Sabally, into the mix...but you can't. She's hurt again and will be gone at least until the Olympics break. Also, while the pairing of Jacy and Arike looks good, it's always tough on a rookie point guard.

#7 PHOENIX MERCURY -- Natasha Cloud, Diana Taurasi, Kahleah Copper, Rebecca Allen, Brittany Griner
The Mercury made some huge moves in the off season, adding Natasha Cloud (who I think is the second best point guard in the league), Kehleah Copper, and Rebecca Allen. Add Brittany Griner to the mix, and you've got another superteam, right? I guess. But at the post, they've got Griner and almost nothing else, and for the start of the season, they won't even have her. Who's going to start at the 4? In the lineup I posted above, I've got them going small and using Rebecca Allen there, but that's not always going to be ideal. Also, any time Griner's off the court, there's no one who appears adequate to take her place. Phoenix will be good, as I said above, superteams have growing pains in the first season after they've been put together, and because of the depth at post, I'm picking the Mercury to be one of those teams. I think they need their supporting cast to improve.

#8 MINNESOTA LYNX -- Courtney Williams, Kayla McBride, Diamond Miller, Napheesa Collier, Alanna Smith
The Lynx improved themselves at point guard with Williams, and added Smith from Chicago to bolster the front line. A good solid team through and through, but Napheesa Collier is the only player with true star power. The Lynx are middle of the pack.

#9 ATLANTA DREAM -- Jordin Canada, Alisha Gray, Rhyne Howard, Tina Charles, Cheyenne Parker
I have no idea what to think about the Dream. They're all good players, but I think there is a wide range of outcomes for all of them. I mean, who knows how good Tina Charles is going to be? Or whether Rhyne Howard will elevate herself into the elite tier? I've given them this ranking just outside the playoffs, but their chances of making the playoffs are almost as good as several of the teams I've put above them.

#10 CHICAGO SKY -- Dana Evans, Marina Mabrey, Diamond DeShields, Angel Reese, Elizabeth Williams
The Sky are rebuilding but they've managed to come up with a halfway decent starting lineup to support the two new rookies (Reese and Kamilla Cardoso). But Cardoso is out to start the season, and I'm not sure Angel Reese projects to be the type of instant success to propel a team with so little star power into the playoffs.

#11 LA SPARKS -- Layshia Clarendon, Lexie Brown, Rikea Jackson, Dearica Hamby, Cameron Brink
The only way the Sparks could be successful is if Jackson and Brink turn out to be the team's two best players. With their fate riding on two rookies, they're going to probably get another good one next year.

#12 WASHINGTON MYSTICS - Brittney Sykes, Karlie Samuelsson, Ariel Atkins, Shakira Austin, Stefanie Dolson
A woeful starting 5 thanks to the departure of Natasha Cloud and Elena Delle-Donne. The guards are below average and none of them can play point guard. It's a little better at forward: Shakira Austin seems to have star potential, and rookie Aaliyah Edwards should be another solid piece to build around. Like the Sparks, they should be getting a lottery pick next year to help with the rebuilding process.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/24 3:49 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

I have no idea what to think about the Dream

I was going to do a prediction like this and Atlanta is where I got hung up. I can see them anywhere from 3rd to 10th.

PostPosted: 05/14/24 3:50 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

The Sun redid their back court, but I'm not sure it's any better. Tiffany Mitchell isn't really a point guard.

Are Moriah Jefferson and Tyasha Harris no longer considered PG’s? Did they not make the final roster?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/24 3:54 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
I'm not sure Angel Reese projects to be the type of instant success to propel a team with so little star power into the playoffs.

Don’t you remember the 2022-2023 LSU championship team with no star power? Apparently Reeve doesn’t remember either. I need to have a serious talk with Glen Taylor.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/14/24 3:59 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

The Sun redid their back court, but I'm not sure it's any better. Tiffany Mitchell isn't really a point guard.

Are Moriah Jefferson and Tyasha Harris no longer considered PG’s? Did they not make the final roster?

I forgot about Moriah, and I really thought Harris was a shooting guard. But I've heard so many Sun fans talking about how Mitchell was going to be the solution at point guard, and I was thinking to myself "she's not that."

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/14/24 4:01 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

I think more important than the specific rankings, which I kept changing constantly, are the following tiers that teams seem to fall in for me. Within these tiers, I can't really decide where to rank them:

3 - Playoff Caliber: Indiana Fever, Dallas Wings, Phoenix Mercury, Minnesota Lynx, Atlanta Dream
4 - Looks Like a Lottery Team: Chicago Sky, Los Angeles Sparks, Washington Mystics

#1 LAS VEGAS ACES -- Chelsea Gray, Kelsey Plum, Jackie Young, A'ja Wilson, Kiah Stokes
The Aces have won two championships in a row, the entire starting lineup is back, and they added an offensive center in Megan Gustafson to compliment the defensive-only Kiah Stokes. Together, they make a great two-headed center for Becky Hammon to use as she sees fit. The best chess player in the WNBA has the best chess pieces. Nothing is a lock, but no team has a better chance to win the championship than the Aces.

#2 SEATTLE STORM -- Skylar Diggins-Smith, Jewell Loyd, Jordan Horston, Nneka Ogwumike, Ezi Magbegor
There were lots of teams who got a lot better with free agency and the draft. The Storm are the one I think are going to come together for immediate results. The big 3 of Diggins-Smith, Loyd, and Ogwumike is formidable, and Horston and Magbegore have upside that could elevate this starting 5 to the top of the league.

#3 NEW YORK LIBERTY -- Courtney Vandersloot, Sabrina Ionescu, Betnijah Laney, Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones
The Liberty are last year's runner up, were good enough to beat the Aces in the Commissioner's Cup, and they return all five starters. The superteam has been together for a year, which is usually what needs to happen. There is no way Breanna Stewart, a multi-time champion and former Finals MVP will go into a shooting slump in the playoffs the way she did last year. So why aren't the Liberty #2 or even #1? There were so many teams that got better in the off-season, and the Liberty did almost nothing. Even the Aces added Megan Gustafson to address one of their weaknesses. The Liberty did make an extremely minor move and add Kennedy Burke (who was out of the league last year) in an attempt to address their perimeter defense problems, but they lost Stefanie Dolson.
In a dramatic off-season, nothing interesting happened with the Liberty at all, and as a fan, I'm just not feeling any buzz about the team at all. I tuned into the pre-season game against Chicago expecting that seeing all the players would get me primed for the season, I don't put any stock in pre-season, but the game was such a disaster and they looked so bad that I'm still not feeling it. The Liberty will be very good, but my gut tells me I shouldn't put them at #2. Besides, going with the odds-on favorites for the top 2 spots is boring. Smile

#4 CONNECTICUT SUN -- Tiffany Mitchell, Dijonai Carrington, DeWanna Bonner, Alyssa Thomas, Brionna Jones
The Sun redid their back court, but I'm not sure it's any better. Tiffany Mitchell isn't really a point guard. That said, last year, Alyssa Thomas dragged this team to the semi-finals by her labrums without Brionna Jones. With Jones back, Connecticut's a Final Four team.

#5 INDIANA FEVER -- Caitlin Clark, Kelsey Mitchell, Katie Lou Samuelsson, NaLyssa Smith, Aliyah Boston
The Fever have a potential Big 3 in Clark, Smith, and Boston, but they don't have enough of a supporting cast to make them a true contender this year. They're young and they need to grow.

#6 DALLAS WINGS -- Jacy Sheldon, Arike Ogunbowale, Satou Sabally, Natasha Howard, Teiera McCowan
The backcourt pairing of Sheldon and Ogunbowale is intriguing: Jacy's defense and playmaking ability should compliment Arike's scoring prowess nicely. Natasha Howard is awesome except when she wears a Liberty jersey, and Tiera McCowan is a solid and imposing big. Add the best player of them all, Satou Sabally, into the mix...but you can't. She's hurt again and will be gone at least until the Olympics break. Also, while the pairing of Jacy and Arike looks good, it's always tough on a rookie point guard.

#7 PHOENIX MERCURY -- Natasha Cloud, Diana Taurasi, Kahleah Copper, Rebecca Allen, Brittany Griner
The Mercury made some huge moves in the off season, adding Natasha Cloud (who I think is the second best point guard in the league), Kehleah Copper, and Rebecca Allen. Add Brittany Griner to the mix, and you've got another superteam, right? I guess. But at the post, they've got Griner and almost nothing else, and for the start of the season, they won't even have her. Who's going to start at the 4? In the lineup I posted above, I've got them going small and using Rebecca Allen there, but that's not always going to be ideal. Also, any time Griner's off the court, there's no one who appears adequate to take her place. Phoenix will be good, as I said above, superteams have growing pains in the first season after they've been put together, and because of the depth at post, I'm picking the Mercury to be one of those teams. I think they need their supporting cast to improve.

#8 MINNESOTA LYNX -- Courtney Williams, Kayla McBride, Diamond Miller, Napheesa Collier, Alanna Smith
The Lynx improved themselves at point guard with Williams, and added Smith from Chicago to bolster the front line. A good solid team through and through, but Napheesa Collier is the only player with true star power. The Lynx are middle of the pack.

#9 ATLANTA DREAM -- Jordin Canada, Alisha Gray, Rhyne Howard, Tina Charles, Cheyenne Parker
I have no idea what to think about the Dream. They're all good players, but I think there is a wide range of outcomes for all of them. I mean, who knows how good Tina Charles is going to be? Or whether Rhyne Howard will elevate herself into the elite tier? I've given them this ranking just outside the playoffs, but their chances of making the playoffs are almost as good as several of the teams I've put above them.

#10 CHICAGO SKY -- Dana Evans, Marina Mabrey, Diamond DeShields, Angel Reese, Elizabeth Williams
The Sky are rebuilding but they've managed to come up with a halfway decent starting lineup to support the two new rookies (Reese and Kamilla Cardoso). But Cardoso is out to start the season, and I'm not sure Angel Reese projects to be the type of instant success to propel a team with so little star power into the playoffs.

#11 LA SPARKS -- Layshia Clarendon, Lexie Brown, Rikea Jackson, Dearica Hamby, Cameron Brink
The only way the Sparks could be successful is if Jackson and Brink turn out to be the team's two best players. With their fate riding on two rookies, they're going to probably get another good one next year.

#12 WASHINGTON MYSTICS - Brittney Sykes, Karlie Samuelsson, Ariel Atkins, Shakira Austin, Stefanie Dolson
A woeful starting 5 thanks to the departure of Natasha Cloud and Elena Delle-Donne. The guards are below average and none of them can play point guard. It's a little better at forward: Shakira Austin seems to have star potential, and rookie Aaliyah Edwards should be another solid piece to build around. Like the Sparks, they should be getting a lottery pick next year to help with the rebuilding process.

Thanks for getting this started! Here's my rankings with some explanations:

Aces
Storm
Sun
***Alyssa will try dragging them into the finals
Liberty
***they did not get better in the off season
Lynx
fever
Wings
***missing Satou will hurt a lot
Mystics
***Austin is appearing on lots of *most improved* lists
Dream
Sky
Mercury
Sparks
***They don't have a starting caliber center! Passing on Cardoso - big mistake

~rAf
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/14/24 4:02 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
I'm not sure Angel Reese projects to be the type of instant success to propel a team with so little star power into the playoffs.

Don’t you remember the 2022-2023 LSU championship team with no star power? Apparently Reeve doesn’t remember either. I need to have a serious talk with Glen Taylor.

If Reese can dominate the WNBA the way she dominated in college, then yes, she can propel this team to greater heights. But I'm not so sure she'll be doing that this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/24 4:34 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

I forgot about Moriah, and I really thought Harris was a shooting guard. But I've heard so many Sun fans talking about how Mitchell was going to be the solution at point guard, and I was thinking to myself "she's not that."

The Sun downgraded at both guard spots and Steph White's teams always decline in year two

PostPosted: 05/14/24 4:58 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

The Sun downgraded at both guard spots and Steph White's teams always decline in year two

You were in love with Hiedeman (now Lynx backup) and Hayes (retired)? I thought you were one of the people who constantly bagged on Hayes.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/24 5:06 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
they added an offensive center in Megan Gustafson to compliment the defensive-only Kiah Stokes. Together, they make a great two-headed center for Becky Hammon to use as she sees fit.

This might be a bit of a reach at this point, but does anyone think Gustafson might eventually be a starter, and if she does start, she should be considered for Most Improved? I guess I’m pleasantly surprised by her 4-7 from three against Puerto Rico.

NYSports56 wrote:
The best chess player in the WNBA has the best chess pieces.

The best draft given they had three second round picks and no cuts from the team?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/24 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hiedeman is a fair sight better than Jefferson. Don't be shocked if she winds up starting at PG for Minny once they realize Courtney Williams isn't one.

I usually wound up defending Tip against the detractors. She was obviously superior to Tiffany Mitchell in every way.

PostPosted: 05/14/24 7:27 pm    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Thanks for getting this started! Here's my rankings with some explanations:

Aces
Storm
Sun
***Alyssa will try dragging them into the finals
Liberty
***they did not get better in the off season
Lynx
fever
Wings
***missing Satou will hurt a lot
Mystics
***Austin is appearing on lots of *most improved* lists
Dream
Sky
Mercury
Sparks
***They don't have a starting caliber center! Passing on Cardoso - big mistake

Watching NY/DC opener and my placements of NY & DC look pretty good (NY - 4 and DC - Cool. I've got NY lower and DC higher than most predictions.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/14/24 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not aimed at any one list just an observation of all lists I have seen including media

Atl too low

Indy too high

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/15/24 10:48 am    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
they added an offensive center in Megan Gustafson to compliment the defensive-only Kiah Stokes. Together, they make a great two-headed center for Becky Hammon to use as she sees fit.

This might be a bit of a reach at this point, but does anyone think Gustafson might eventually be a starter, and if she does start, she should be considered for Most Improved? I guess I’m pleasantly surprised by her 4-7 from three against Puerto Rico.

It's possible, but I think it's best to have Stokes in with the starters, when additional scoring help is not needed, and have Gustafson in there to make up for the lost offense when the starters are resting.

Shades wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
The best chess player in the WNBA has the best chess pieces.

The best draft given they had three second round picks and no cuts from the team?

Not sure what you mean here--I didn't say anything about the draft.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/15/24 11:12 am    ::: Re: Predictions for 2024 Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

Not sure what you mean here--I didn't say anything about the draft.

When you should have….

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/15/24 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think CHI has more potential than #10 even without Cardoso. Spoon and the players seem to get along well. You can't underestimate team chemistry when gaging how well a team will do. Looking at individual play is important. Team dynamics are important. Not saying CHI will win the c'hip just that they might surprise you with how far they get.
NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/15/24 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
I think CHI has more potential than #10 even without Cardoso. Spoon and the players seem to get along well. You can't underestimate team chemistry when gaging how well a team will do. Looking at individual play is important. Team dynamics are important. Not saying CHI will win the c'hip just that they might surprise you with how far they get.

I could see it, but remember that T-Spoon is also a rookie; she might have the chemistry right, but she's an unproven commodity who is going to be learning right along with the other young players. There's also no guarantee that pre-season chemistry will translate into something lasting.

The Sky certainly have a chance of having everything come together and making the playoffs. But I see all the teams I ranked above them as having a much better chance. I do believe in chemistry, but you've got to have a few players who can rise above the rest, and I don't think the Sky have any of those players. Maybe Angel can be one, but that's a question mark, especially when thinking only about this season.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 05/16/24 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Coach TSpoon is having Angel put in extra work on her shooting. I figure first game she is nervous but you got to make those bunnies.

PostPosted: 05/16/24 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

I agree , i see them as an #8 seed they have the talent . WAS being 2nd to last followed by LA.

PostPosted: 05/16/24 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

I could see it, but remember that T-Spoon is also a rookie; she might have the chemistry right, but she's an unproven commodity who is going to be learning right along with the other young players. There's also no guarantee that pre-season chemistry will translate into something lasting.

The Sky certainly have a chance of having everything come together and making the playoffs. But I see all the teams I ranked above them as having a much better chance. I do believe in chemistry, but you've got to have a few players who can rise above the rest, and I don't think the Sky have any of those players. Maybe Angel can be one, but that's a question mark, especially when thinking only about this season.

Valid point about a rookie coach. I guess a lot of the credit I'm affording her extends from the player I used to watch. And yet as a coach, she has to coach the team to THEIR strengths, not hers. However, I do think people tend to excel, exceed expectations in a good, supportive, challenging environment. I can't say for sure that's the type of environment the Sky have but I give Spoon and her staff the benefit of a doubt. At the very least, I think there will be improvement during the course of the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: