RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

McD Girl's HS AA Game Tonight, 6:30, ESPN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 4:51 pm    ::: McD Girl's HS AA Game Tonight, 6:30, ESPN2 Reply Reply with quote

Chance to see lightning Jaloni Cambridge (Ohio St.) and others, whom they announcers are unlikely to identify as the gab nonstop about irrelevancies.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three teammates from LuHi start on the East team, a testament to the strength of the country's #1 team.

Sarah Strong 2-3 on 3pt shots.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCar's Joyce Edwards, who has the longest hair in American high schools (if it's real), has 6 points in Q1 -- two layups and one mid-range jumper.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strong with a 3rd three and good passes. Announcer says she is like Caitlin Clark. Hyperbole.

Allie Ziebell (UConn), who dominated the 3pt contest yesterday, hit 2-4 on threes and then a drive for 8 points in Q2 so far.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the half, Strong 11 pts, Edwards 9, Ziebell 8, Cheli 3. Couldn't keep track of anyone else because I don't know most.

6-3 Zania Socka-Nguemen (UCLA), whom I'd never heard of, has really impressed me with a few flashes of great handle and passing especially for a player of her height.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strong and Ziebell are arc hangers, and Strong almost never goes into the paint on offense for shots or offensive rebounds.

I've noticed 6 points so far from 6-4 Koval (Notre Dame). Putbacks or low post shots.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At Q3, Joyce Edwards is high scorer with 17. Unlike Strong, she constantly posts up in the paint or drives into the paint and gets lots of short shots. She won the Morgan Wootten Award before the game.

To diversify and hence maximize her size and touch skills, Strong needs to choose a school that will encourage her to spend at least 50% of her time in the paint.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/24 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

End of game. Edwards high scorer with 19 points and was the most effective paint player in the game. SCar may go undefeated again next season.

Bespectacled Zam Jones (NC St.), who looks like a miniature Olivia Miles, was an impressive point guard re passes, drives and some long 3pt makes.

6-4 Arianna Roberson (Duke) may have had a few points but looked awkward many times.

UConn recruits Ziebell and Cheli looked competent but are not quick, fast or run/jump athletic. Ziebell missed a whole bunch of threes in the second half, and ended with her 8 first half points. Cheli scored at least seven points on one three, a layup and putback.

Edwards and Strong were co-MVP's even though Strong (11 points) did not score in the second half, missing a bunch of three's like Ziebell. Strong may have been given co-status because she led in rebounding with 10 to Edwards' 3.

The fact that Strong can get defensive rebounds is more evidence that she should spend more time under the basket on offense. Overall, I thought she was lazy on offense rather than showing the intensity and energy you see from stars approximately her size like Maya, JuJu, Madison Booker or Aaliya Edwards.

Other players impressed me with moves and shots, but I can't recall their names. Overall, there are no generational players in this class based on this game.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/24 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Strong and Ziebell are arc hangers, and Strong almost never goes into the paint on offense for shots or offensive rebounds.

I've noticed 6 points so far from 6-4 Koval (Notre Dame). Putbacks or low post shots.

She did say she’s not a post player in her recruitment …..

PostPosted: 04/02/24 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't yet find a box score but articles such as THIS ONE list a lot of the players point totals, and they say Strong had 12 rebounds even though the gamecast said she had 10.

Here is a video of the whole game:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2m0nXX7dFk" title="McDonald's All-American Girls Game Live Stream | East vs West High School Basketball" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/03/24 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never miss watching this game when it’s on, but I must say this year’s was one of the worst and most boring in quite some time. There wasn’t anyone who really stood out and even Strong didn’t do anything inspiring. I thought Caitlin Clark didn’t play much defense nor did Kelsey Plum but Strong plays even less and at times didn’t seem to want to hustle.

It’s hard to be the year after we got to watch Juju Watkins and Hannah Hildago put on a show in the 2023 all American game, but this year’s was disappointing.

Some of those young ladies will have a rude awakening to the college game especially for some of them to the programs they have selected and the coaches who they have to adjust to. Will be interesting to see how many of them enter the transfer portal after their freshman year from the current colleges they’ve chosen to attend.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/24 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarah Strong did have 12 rebounds, 11 of them defensive. She only shot 3pters, going 3-7, and had no assists. As I said earlier, she was mainly an arc hanger on offense. To give her the slight benefit of the doubt, 6-4 Kate Koval (ND) was in the low post much of the time Strong was in the game, but she still could have showed some cutting or other motion and some o-board crashing. Good coaching can probably put some giddyap in her.

UConn recruits: Morgan Cheli shot 3-8, 1-2 with 2 assists; Allie Ziebell, winner of the boys/girls 3pt contest, shot a poor 3-11, 2-10 with 0 assists, but got the most minutes on the West team.

Shaq's daughter (U.Fla.) got 12 points and 6 rebounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: