RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Connecticut vs #1 Iowa - 4/05/24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Iowa
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
That was an awful final call. Let the players decide.

Nika had the game of her life. But Aaliyah was outplayed by Stulkie, and though both Clark and Paige were held down by defense, Clark did just enough to get a win. I’m impressed by the defense that was played on Paige, but part of it is her not going to the ball - she needs to learn that. That’s what Paige needs to learn for next season.

I thought Geno left Ice in too long for Shade. Ice didn’t play porky, but leads go away with her in the game.

Aaliyah and Nika are two of my favorites ever, and I’m sad they never got a ring - but I’m proud of the team for how far they got this year.

People bitch and bitch about calls NOT being made. Now when they call it, people bitch and bitch.

Yall can't have it both ways.

Maybe it isn't the officiating that is so bad, but the fans that all want it to go in their favor?

They weren’t calling moving screens all night, you can’t just suddenly call it.

That’s the thing about reffing - choose what you want to do. You gonna let them be physical? Cool. Let both be physical and don’t switch it up. Fouls by nature are interpretation because of you played by the rule on exactly, everyone fouls out.

Iowa started getting a ton of calls, and then that one bad one because they are the darling and Clark makes them money. Period.

That was a slight moving screen (she had stoped moving by the time the player made contact as the slow motion showed, though she did slide from her initial position). Iowa did the same all night.

Call it the same. That’s all anyone wants.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I managed to watch the play on X, followed by the comments for and against the foul call. Despite the conspiracy theories that abound on X and the final outcome, the refs would be screwed and lambasted either way. Make the call and Iowa wins, one set of fans and basketball purists will always say the call shouldn't have been made. Let the players decide. If the ref doesn't make the call and UConn wins, the other set of basketball purists and fans will scream bloody murder that the ref didn't call what those fans saw as a clear foul.

Nope. The final outcome didn't matter for the refs. This was their version of the Kobayashi Maru. For them, in that moment in time, it became a no-win situation.

The NCAA will review this play and agree with the call or not, they will ultimately decide what should be done should this instance occur again.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m disappointed that the moving screen call existed as what is now the most famous moment of a game that really was an excellent Final Four battle.

I believe that Aaliyah’s arms and leaning in put the ref in a situation where they had to decide to make the call or not. Like players who have to make split second decisions and actions, the refs are required to make a decision and an action. I think technically yes it was a foul. I sure would have liked to see Paige take that shot. I didn’t think she would make it - it didn’t look like the play was rolling out quite right - but boy, I just would prefer to see it and either be proven right or wrong.

Masked by the call was Iowa’s surge. The first half defensive story getting flipped on its head with Caitlin clawing back while Paige struggled for a stretch due to great defense.

Great basketball from the role players - Muhl, Martin, Affolter, KK. Great adjustments from the coaches.

I do think we are left with a slight edge for Clark in terms of overall performance over Paige. She had a really tough first half and somehow still scored over 20 and pitched in rebounds and assists to end with a really respectable line.

Unfortunately, there’s no true winner of this Caitlin/Paige matchup due to the style of ending. Fortunately, the bulk of that game was entertaining, tense, and everything you look for in a Final Four.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just gonna re-post this here from the general page.

This whole notion of "let the players decide the game, not the refs" is a huge, stinking pile of BS.

Why should an illegal screen by Edwards be allowed to possibly decide the game?? If we're going to allow one team to not play by the rules, why play the game???

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The refs can't call EVERYTHING. The game would go on for HOURS (and UConn would have run out of players and would have had to forfeit anyway.) They have to decide advantage/disadvantage.

Were there moving screens that didn't get called earlier?? I'm sure that there were.

This one only looks bad because of timing of it. There was a ball out of bounds on the baseline in the second half that they called Iowa ball. On replay, it sure looked like the Iowa player (I can't remember which on) touched it last. Didn't hear a word about that call.

Maybe instead of bitching about and faulting one call, yall maybe need to be bitching about and faulting UConn for not getting the rebound on the Clark missed free throw? Or maybe saying what a head's up play that was for Clark to throw the ball off of the UConn player's leg that allowed for .3 of a second to run off of the clock? Or the upward heave of the ball that didn't allow UConn to get a play on it the final play of the game?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Iowa started getting a ton of calls, and then that one bad one because they are the darling and Clark makes them money. Period.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Please. I saw so many things not called. Shall we start with how many times Miss Edwards shoulda had 3 seconds called on her, but didn't? *Our* replays show what refs cannot humanly see.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That screen wasn't remotely close to being legal. If relying on refs to overlook a clear foul is the best you have, then you didn't deserve the W.
I like Glenn's call of fouling being a significant factor in the result. Iowa were very disciplined all game. UConn weren't.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who might not have seen the screen, here is it again:

https://twitter.com/DavidEickholt/status/1776459189457473832

I have never agreed with the "let the players decide the outcome" notion - mostly espoused by fans of the winning team who fouled at the close of a tight game that they benefited from, and got away with it.

There are rules in the game of basketball, and there has NEVER been any rule in existence to "let the players decide the outcome", to the extent that if they can foul in that final moment, then so be it.

Whether it was the kicked ball in the South Carolina Final Four against Stanford, or the arm-bar contact against Aliyah Boston's final layup attempts in the overtime loss to CT, a foul has ALWAYS supposed to be a foul in the proper game of basketball, and the only time that is not the case is when the game clock is at all zeros. It is the officials' sole responsibility to call the fouls when they occur, and IF THAT RUINS GAMES FOR THE FOULING TEAM, THEN DO. NOT. FOUL.

That is no different than missing an easy layup, turning the ball over, calling a timeout that does not exist, etc. It's not the officials fault for the team making mistakes.

Connecticut has been infamous with their moving screens for years, if not decades. It's a vital part of Auriemma's motion offenses - not saying that he and his staff deliberately coach their players to execute illegal moving screens, but perhaps their offense is so fast that players TRY to perform screens properly, and still mess them up.

Once upon a time, they didn't get called so much. But you run a particular style of offense for years and years, eventually the officials start to learn what those things are, and recognize them in games. In South Carolina's first win over CT in Colonial Life Arena in the 2019-20 season, ONO got called for a number of critical illegal moving screens, and there have been more of those called in the USC-CT series over recent seasons than I could count.

In the linked twitter video, it was a blatant illegal moving screen. Edwards didn't just lean into the Iowa player, stick out her elbow or knees, or hip like she has been called for in past games. She was moving so much, her feet were sliding laterally when the contact was made. That is elementary violation for even blocking fouls against a driving player with the ball, so why shouldn't it be called in this instance? Not sure what the fuss is all about.....

tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/24 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/asqxzaNGRWo?si=38NFYw3UkpXCrgCn" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/24 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xk3qv4Y5o6w?si=RqpUec0vCqMCFgiG" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 04/06/24 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
boogiezen

PostPosted: 04/06/24 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shout out to Hannah Stuelke, Sydney Affolter, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall who did fantastic on Paige. They are never going to have a chance to play in the WNBA made the difference, made impact plays for Iowa to win and really helped Clark to breathe.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
tfan

PostPosted: 04/06/24 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I play it at 25% speed I see Edwards have multiple positions with her feet moving quickly. At one point both feet are touching the ground, with the left, a foot or a foot and a half from the three point line, and Gabby Marshall
close to her. Then she moves her left foot to the three point line leaving a very wide stance. But she quickly moves the right foot closer to narrow her stance. It's hard to tell if Marshall is contacting her when Edwards' right foot moves to narrow her stance. But Edwards moved her feet very close to the time of contact. The problem was probably the distance they had moved was above a normal moving-screen threshold.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rPMV35Q9n5Y?si=bRpd7AOPpbFHkH-f" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by tfan on 04/06/24 7:28 am; edited 2 times in total
wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/06/24 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/asqxzaNGRWo?si=38NFYw3UkpXCrgCn" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting, I feel asleep at half time 😴

PostPosted: 04/06/24 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
That was an awful final call. Let the players decide

A player committing a foul is a player deciding

PostPosted: 04/06/24 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The precursor problem for UConn with the last 9 second play was not the moving screen call on Edwards, about the correctness of which I am agnostic. The causal problem was the unnecessarily complex, multi-pass action way over on the error-prone and player-trapping sideline called by Geno.

Edwards takes it out and passes inbounds to Muhl, who dribbles up court and passes it to Bueckers way over on the sideline. Bueckers is covered has no shot there. So she she passes it back to Muhl, who drives almost into the corner, is easily covered and has no shot and is trapped. Meanwhile, Bueckers curls around screen by Edwards and goes to the top of the key, where she has no shot or chance of getting a pass because Muhl is trapped in the corner. So, then Bueckers reverses direction, curls in the other direction around another (illegal) screen by Edwards just to salvage a pass back from Muhl. Bueckers gets the ball back way over at the sideline, closely guarded, with no good shot available from 24 feet and 3.9 seconds left. But meanwhile the screening foul has been called.

All this action was much too complex, had too many moving parts, resulted in no open shot for anyone on UConn, and was a dumb call by Geno.

Geno just should have put the ball in Paige's hand with the inbound and let her go to work in the center of the court for a simple drive off a ball screen for a layup attempt or a pass to a cutter for a layup attempt. Just as Bluder would have done with Caitlin Clark.

Live or die with a play by your preeminent star in the open floor, not some jury-rig, multiple-pass play way over by the sideline where there is no room for error.

I call disordered entropy on Geno, not Edwards or the refs.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/06/24 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the clip that you need to watch. Contact would have been OK if Edwards had established a legal guarding position. Even if Edwards was still moving when the contact had occurred. But she hadn't, so the contact was a foul. Correctly called.

https://twitter.com/IowaSportsGuy1/status/1776467266797785500

Jmsdawg

PostPosted: 04/06/24 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My take, replay clearly shows the moving screen call was correct. As for a foul being a deciding factors, referees are part of the game and I saw nothing unusual with the officiating during this game.

Jmsdawg

PostPosted: 04/06/24 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My take, replay clearly shows the moving screen call was correct. As for a foul being a deciding factors, referees are part of the game and I saw nothing unusual with the officiating during this game.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/06/24 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's sad for any sport when the narrative following a highly competitive/close game is about the officials. In this thread, in the media, that's what's being predominantly discussed. Reminds me of the 2023 Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Eagles.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know what, y'all? It was a great game! We should hope that the final is as exciting as the semi-final. Close, competitive game with plenty of nail-biting for both teams' fans.

I love UConn and am heartbroken for them to come so close after such a injury-laden season. But great for Iowa to get another shot at the title.

There's next year, Huskie fans -- and along with healthy players who were sorely missed this season -- we will have Sarah Strong, who today committed to UConn.

Enjoy the title game everyone!

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/06/24 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
When I play it at 25% speed I see Edwards have multiple positions with her feet moving quickly. At one point both feet are touching the ground, with the left, a foot or a foot and a half from the three point line, and Gabby Marshall
close to her. Then she moves her left foot to the three point line leaving a very wide stance. But she quickly moves the right foot closer to narrow her stance. It's hard to tell if Marshall is contacting her when Edwards' right foot moves to narrow her stance. But Edwards moved her feet very close to the time of contact. The problem was probably the distance they had moved was above a normal moving-screen threshold.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rPMV35Q9n5Y?si=bRpd7AOPpbFHkH-f" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also Edwards' elbows came out from her body a bit. They teach basketball players to hold their arms very close to their bodies - as close as they can snug them - to prevent any SUGGESTION of an illegal screen, as much to prevent illegal screens.

So for men's basketball, you take both hands and cover your groin area.....for women's you fold your arms across your chest, and you become like a tree. The Barbara Walters' Technique. In this instance, the lateral move into Marshall along with the elbows sticking out was what done it in for CT.

They still had almost 5 seconds down only 1 point, to recover. They failed to rebound the missed FT from Clark (Lobo made that point clear before Caitlin took her first try - "first they have to make sure they corral the rebound IF Clark misses her 2nd free throw". They would have had 3 seconds left down only by 2 pts to make a play. Really, after Muhl got them to within 1 point 69-70 with her 3-pt. shot, and there was 39 seconds left, very little went right for CT from that point on....

Michael

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
tfan wrote:

Also Edwards' elbows came out from her body a bit. They teach basketball players to hold their arms very close to their bodies - as close as they can snug them - to prevent any SUGGESTION of an illegal screen, as much to prevent illegal screens.

So for men's basketball, you take both hands and cover your groin area.....for women's you fold your arms across your chest, and you become like a tree. The Barbara Walters' Technique. In this instance, the lateral move into Marshall along with the elbows sticking out was what done it in for CT.

They still had almost 5 seconds down only 1 point, to recover. They failed to rebound the missed FT from Clark (Lobo made that point clear before Caitlin took her first try - "first they have to make sure they corral the rebound IF Clark misses her 2nd free throw". They would have had 3 seconds left down only by 2 pts to make a play. Really, after Muhl got them to within 1 point 69-70 with her 3-pt. shot, and there was 39 seconds left, very little went right for CT from that point on....

For the "let the players decide it crowd" If Stuelke had tackled Bueckers while she was catching the ball, would you want that called or play on? There was no part of Edwards that was set on that call. A WR would put that on their highlight film as a great chip block, but in no way was it a legal screen. Never set, sliding into the defender because Buecker's didn't use the screen tightly, raising the arms to get an additional push into the defender, and throwing the hip check into Marhall all for good measure. If you are going to allow that, you are saying the defense has no right to play the last 10 seconds, its only the offense that can make plays and illegal or legal, no one cares.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta hand it to UConn. For a team with a short bench to get as far as they did speaks well for bot the players and the coaching. So let's see what happens next year when a few of them are gone, some new ones come in, and (hopefully) some of the others are healthy. Will we see them right back here again? Tale to be told next year.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
It's sad for any sport when the narrative following a highly competitive/close game is about the officials. In this thread, in the media, that's what's being predominantly discussed. Reminds me of the 2023 Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Eagles.

It's mostly the media that's at fault, IMO. How many were on tv saying that you can't make that call at that point in the game? Lobo, SVP, DT. Andreya Carter said that it sucked (I LOVE to listen to her analysis, usually. I think that she is one of the best!!!!)

How many did you hear say it was the right call?

The only people saying that it was the right call are the fans sitting at home. The people whose job isn't selling drama.

Which brings me back to the question "how bad is the officiating really in comparison to previous years compared to the level of play compared to the number of cameras on the game, and how much is it made up media??

Go back to 1990 when there were cameras on each baseline and one wide shot from the top of the sideline, grainy, and sometimes out of focus. How many cams were there last night? Twenty? More? They had enough cams that one could follow players back to the locker rooms!! There was one following Holly I'm guessing, based on how quickly she got the answer to the snacks in Clark's father's pocket!

Of course the officiating is going to look worse. Even if the officiating is at a 91% level that they like it to be at, 30+ years ago it was probably at a 75% level.

At the collegiate level, every official should be able to quote exactly what the rule book says. They KNOW the rules. They should never be surprised at one.

After that, it's being in the right position at the right time. In order to do that, they have to anticipate the play and where it's going to go. They are at more of a disadvantage than the defense is. The defense has been told which opposing player is going to do what on any given look. The officials don't have 4-5 assistants giving them that info.

Then they have to make a ridiculously fast decision as to whether one player gained an unfair advantage over the other. They have to decide if the advantage was due to one player being taller than the other, faster, quicker, bigger, stronger.

Look at Zach Eady for Purdue. Dude is 7'4" and goes 305. He goes out to set a statue-like pick and the 6'2" 190# guard bounces off and goes to the floor. The official has to be in the correct position because you're not going to be able to see around Eady. They they need to decide if the advantage gained was due to something other than Eady being 7-4, 305!!!! And do it before the poor guard crumples to the floor!!!!

The majority of people don't know the rules. Because they "learned" them from someone that doesn't know the rules (broadcasters). I've spent more than a few hours learning, studying, and applying the rules. I can't tell you how many times I go back and look up a rule (which usually has multiple parts to it) before I comment on something. And I don't expect to be right all the time. There's a thread (Moving Screens) on the general board right now that I want to comment on, but haven't had the time to get it all down with rule citations and such.

snichols

PostPosted: 04/06/24 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Were moving screens and fouls missed earlier in the game? Of course; it was a physical, fast game, and it’s hard to see everything. Was Edward’s screen a legal screen? Nope. Should it have been called at that point in the game? Absolutely. If you see it, you should call it.

Would it have been called in the men’s game? What difference does that make? They aren’t even playing by the same rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: