RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Connecticut vs #1 Iowa - 4/05/24
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Iowa
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 13

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/24 12:01 pm    ::: #3 Connecticut vs #1 Iowa - 4/05/24 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament - National Semifinal
Cleveland, OH - 9:30 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eventCalendarId/401637612#bucketId=7958 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://hawkeyesports.com/hawkeye-radio-network/

Live stats:
https://www.ncaa.com/game/6284828

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/06/24 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a terrible matchup for UConn. With such a short bench they will have a hard time keeping up with the Hawkeyes and their breakneck pace for 40 minutes.

PostPosted: 04/02/24 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This is a terrible matchup for UConn. With such a short bench they will have a hard time keeping up with the Hawkeyes and their breakneck pace for 40 minutes.

Outside of Stuelke, who was saddled with foul trouble, Iowa's starters played 37, 39, 40, and 40 minutes against LSU. Do you think their conditioning is that much better than UConn's?

jmh1982

PostPosted: 04/03/24 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don't completely agree with this. Iowa's style will not impose a lot of physicality on UConn and that is the most grueling style to play against. UConn also will not try to run with Iowa and will slow the game down on their own offensive side while getting back in transition and not letting Iowa get a ton of quick buckets. UConn has been good at slowing down this Iowa team the two times they have played them, including last year. Of course the depth could be an issue, but I don't necessarily think it will be Iowa's style that is the issue as much as the accumulation of playing so many minutes in the tournament.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/04/24 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I keep thinking the short bench is going to catch up to them and it never does.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We can always just have Paige and Caitlin arm wrestle for the win. Razz

PostPosted: 04/05/24 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wild card game.

IMO? It’s a terrible matchup for Iowa. They don’t really have anyone capable of guarding Paige or Aaliya, and they like to play zone, so that’ll lead to Shade getting open midrange shots and corner threes. And can anyone on Iowa catch KK Arnold.

Meanwhile, UConn had 3 very capable defenders to throw at Caitlin. She’s 16-45 with Muhl as her primary defender, and when she commits three dumb fouls we can throw Bueckers or KK at her. Obviously Caitlin is Caitlin and she could still drop 50 on us, but we aren’t having Van Lith guard her either.

And tbh my belief is that both teams are just fighting for the chance to get beaten by South Carolina.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it's a bad matchup for Iowa or for UConn. Split decision. I have no idea who will win. I tend to think UConn will have to score 85 points to win. Can they do that? If their 3pt shooting is off, as it too often is?
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/24 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams are uncharacteristically fumble-bumble fingered in Q1. Only Stuelke looks sure-handed.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/05/24 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, this game is highlighting just how badly LSU dropped the ball in the E8 game.
Also the chasm between SC and whichever of these 2 wins.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like Edwards' lack of productivity on offense. It's worrisome. If she were having a more typical game, UConn would be up more.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/24 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You really shouldn't be able to guard a good player 96 feet. Even though the offensive player has to dribble, they are going forward while the defender is going backwards. I don't understand why Clark isn't just blowing by Muhl and forcing a 5 on 4 situation.

The injury to Molly Davis seems like it benefitted Iowa. Affolter (sp?) is listed 4" bigger and can hit threes, but also do more around the rim.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice Brady somewhat redeeming her horrid, foul-prone defense with some surprising key made shots. Iowa warming up, UConn still playing mediocre offense.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa giving this away. Not able to get the offense started on a sidelines in bounds.

This could be a big meltdown. Iowa was close to putting it out of reach and now UConn gets a chance to win.

Uh oh. Another Iowa inbounds.

Last edited by tfan on 04/05/24 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
lvf08

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stupid, Geno. Should never have inbounded to inconsistent Muhl with Bueckers stuck way down in the corner, but rather inbounded to Bueckers to let her go to work as a shooter or passer with 9 seconds to go.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't feel bad for the UConn call. This is how Baylor felt about the no call in 2021.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another congratulations to Iowa! A survival game to say the least. Thank goodness the final is on ABC.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to figure what stats won this game for Iowa with Iowa getting 8 more rebounds and UConn 9 more assists, while both teams shot about the same percent. I'll give it to Iowa's under-appreciated ability not to foul, which gave them 7 more points from the free throw line.

An unexpectedly deep UConn run in the tourney for this crippled, short and short-handed team, but nevertheless a disappointment because this was a game UConn could have won.
tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This didn't even feel like an Iowa game in the Clark era. Muhl and company did a good job of taking Clark out of her normal three point domination. Clark was 3 for 11 from three.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was an awful final call. Let the players decide.

Nika had the game of her life. But Aaliyah was outplayed by Stulkie, and though both Clark and Paige were held down by defense, Clark did just enough to get a win. I’m impressed by the defense that was played on Paige, but part of it is her not going to the ball - she needs to learn that. That’s what Paige needs to learn for next season.

I thought Geno left Ice in too long for Shade. Ice didn’t play porky, but leads go away with her in the game.

Aaliyah and Nika are two of my favorites ever, and I’m sad they never got a ring - but I’m proud of the team for how far they got this year.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
That was an awful final call. Let the players decide.

Nika had the game of her life. But Aaliyah was outplayed by Stulkie, and though both Clark and Paige were held down by defense, Clark did just enough to get a win. I’m impressed by the defense that was played on Paige, but part of it is her not going to the ball - she needs to learn that. That’s what Paige needs to learn for next season.

I thought Geno left Ice in too long for Shade. Ice didn’t play porky, but leads go away with her in the game.

Aaliyah and Nika are two of my favorites ever, and I’m sad they never got a ring - but I’m proud of the team for how far they got this year.

People bitch and bitch about calls NOT being made. Now when they call it, people bitch and bitch.

Yall can't have it both ways.

Maybe it isn't the officiating that is so bad, but the fans that all want it to go in their favor?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
boogiezen

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Complaining about that call is hilarious. The right angle showed it was a moving screen and for once the refs just followed the rules. LOL. UCONN wouldn't be in that situation if Beckers showed up in the 4th quarter.

South Carolina is going to win the whole thing anyway.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting chess match between 2 savvy coaches.

There were definitely some questionable ref calls, but....that went both ways, and it wasn't the baddest reffing I've ever seen. I hope Miss Muhl earned DPOY in the BEAST....she's amazing.

Onward! I personally believe UConn could match up better with SC, and make it more of a game, but then....I didn't think the Hawkeyes could take them down last year, either. Shame on me. Razz

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A brutal final call. We would never see that called in a men's game. What a terrible way to end a Final Four game. With millions of people watching and a prime opportunity to build the sport, that's what we're left with. I said it during one of the recent games, but the officiating in the women's game must get better. (As an aside, it didn't look likely UConn was going to score and I agree with Glenn that the play Geno drew up did not make much sense.)

The officiating was bad throughout and favored Iowa. Several of the foul calls were very weak.

Muhl and Arnold were outstanding. Muhl's defensive intention, intensity, and attention to detail were stellar. South Carolina certainly doesn't need any help, but Dawn had a front row seat to the blueprint to defending Clark. And really, the whole team and coaching staff had a great and overall well-executed plan (force her right, jump the screen, etc.). Arnold was assertive, under control, and productive offensively in ways we didn't often see this season. Bodes well for years to come.

Geno was too slow to adjust to Iowa's run, particularly with sticking with the two big lineup. Stuelke was also eating Brady for lunch and Aaliyah was not in foul trouble, so not sure why that matchup stayed even with two bigs on the floor. Another thing I really don't understand coaching-wise was why Paige didn't post up more. She had a significant size advantage on Marshall (a good defender in her own right). Get Aaliyah the ball at the high post, post up Paige, and make them double off of shooters.

Aaliyah and Paige were good, but not up to their usual/recent levels of play. Sometimes that manifested in silly plays (missed layups, bobbled passes), but even beyond that, there was no leadership/killer instinct from either of them. I wanted to see them demand the ball and play with a we-won't-lose attitude. Paige has really had that these past ten games or so, and we needed it tonight. We needed Shade to make a couple of those open jumpers, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: