RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Harper out at Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 04/11/24 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Yeah, well... And can Caldwell recruid anyone better than Striplin, Darby, and Puckett? I have my doubts.

You're EVER the Optimist, sbt....instead of "the glass half full/half empty", it's just busted! Laughing I know you bleed Orange, but honestly....this could be a great thing in the making. I usta think Sherri Coale was IT, but Jenny B (who, admittedly, has had more D1 esperience) has made Oklahoma better than it's been in ages.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Yeah, well... And can Caldwell recruid anyone better than Striplin, Darby, and Puckett? I have my doubts.

You're EVER the Optimist, sbt....instead of "the glass half full/half empty", it's just busted! Laughing I know you bleed Orange, but honestly....this could be a great thing in the making. I usta think Sherri Coale was IT, but Jenny B (who, admittedly, has had more D1 esperience) has made Oklahoma better than it's been in ages.

Apples and oranges, m'dear. Big time.

PostPosted: 04/12/24 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

PostPosted: 04/12/24 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Now who's double talkin'?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/24 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Now who's double talkin'?

Jennie Baranczyk had more experience with better programs before taking the helm at Oklahoma. She was an assistant at Kansas State under Deb Patterson for 2 years, during which time K-State won the WNIT. She was then an assistant at Marquette under Terri Mitchell for 4 years, Where she helped with recruiting, game scheduling, opponent scouting, and public relations. In 2010, she was Linda Lappe's first hire as AC at Colorado. She was hired as head coach at Drake in 2012, where she remained for nine years and built the team into a MVC powerhouse. She was named head coach at Oklahoma in 2021 and had been successful there ever since.

Contrast this with the comparatively meager experience of Caldwell, who was a GA at Ohio Valley and an AC at Sacramento State (can't find dates for those). In 2016 she was named head coach at her alma mater, D-II Glenville State (WV) and led them to one national championship (2022) and one Final Four (2023). She was then named HC at Marshall where she was for one season and won the Sun Belt tournament, went to the NCAA and got their butts kicked in the first round.

So yeah, apples and oranges. Jennie Baranczyk earned her position, Kim did not.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Okay. Let's throw a pomegranite into the comparative analysis:

Jennie, despite her stellar resume, has yet to approach the heights to which Sherri Coale led Oklahoma.

SHERRI COALE HAD ZERO D1 EXPERIENCE. Her only coaching experience was 6 years of high school ball. Period. With that pathetically limited resume, Sherri led them to numerous Big 12 titles (league and tournament) and several Final Fours, earning HOF status along the way.

Good progress isn't ALWAYS a product of a fab resume.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Jennie, despite her stellar resume, has yet to approach the heights to which Sherri Coale led Oklahoma.

SHERRI COALE HAD ZERO D1 EXPERIENCE. Her only coaching experience was 6 years of high school ball. Period. With that pathetically limited resume, Sherri led them to numerous Big 12 titles (league and tournament) and several Final Fours, earning HOF status along the way.

And times were different. Women's basketball has come a long way. Sherri didn't or couldn't keep up, apparently. And Jennie has done a lot in a little time. What I've seen of Kim does not make me trust her with a program like Tennessee.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

And times were different. Women's basketball has come a long way. Sherri didn't or couldn't keep up, apparently. And Jennie has done a lot in a little time. What I've seen of Kim does not make me trust her with a program like Tennessee.

Who would you trust? That TN would have a reasonable chance of getting?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 04/13/24 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 04/13/24 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And times were different.

....which could also be said of how/why Pat could create the dynasty she did. AND....it's part of why no one else can re-create that effect.

Re: Sherri - things were not THAT different than now. TN & UConn were already in the prime of their dynastic rules. Stanford, Texas, Duke and Vanderbilt were huge. It wasn't the *old* days of Immaculata and West Chester. OK took a (well) calculated risk on Sherri. Sometimes....it pays off.

Last edited by Howee on 04/13/24 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/24 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Who would? That TN would have a reasonable chance of getting?

It's kind of moot now, isn't it? But I would have been much happier with a coach who has a proven D-I record, not some flash in the pan one. Tennessee should have jumped on Kenny Brooks before Kentucky did, but they didn't, which tells me they weren't interested in a male coach, so, someone of the caliber of Megan Duffy, since Teri Moren didn't seem interested in leaving Indiana, or even Marisa Moseley, since Wisconsin seems to be a dead end. Or Maybe someone like Carla Berube. At least someone with more D-I experience, and preferably more experience, period, than Kim has.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is ridiculous. Duplicate post...AGAIN! Sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: