RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Harper out at Tennessee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/04/24 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I see no reason to believe Ivey would be any better at recruiting the south than Rueck. She's a midwestern girl.

Hammon has never done recruiting at all and is less southern than Ivey.

I'd look at Lisa Fortier over Rueck.

I think, if you're Tennessee at this point, you want an established coach who's gone far into the tournament, and done so multiple times. You're done with "potential", you want proven results. And though Lady Vol nation might generally prefer to be led by a female coach, ADs do have a tendency to play the opposite game when switching from one coach to the next (especially if the former is considered to've been unsuccessful). So yeah, if Rueck actually can be pried out of Corvallis given the Pac-12's dissolution, I think that guy makes a lot of sense for Knoxville.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/24 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:
I see no reason to believe Ivey would be any better at recruiting the south than Rueck. She's a midwestern girl.

I think, if you're Tennessee at this point, you want an established coach who's gone far into the tournament, and done so multiple times. You're done with "potential", you want proven results. And though Lady Vol nation might generally prefer to be led by a female coach, ADs do have a tendency to play the opposite game when switching from one coach to the next (especially if the former is considered to've been unsuccessful). So yeah, if Rueck actually can be pried out of Corvallis given the Pac-12's dissolution, I think that guy makes a lot of sense for Knoxville.

Maybe, but I suspect if Danny White picks a male coach (other than Wes Moore, who Lady Vol Nation knows and is comfortable with) there will be a mass uprising. You don't know them. I do.

PostPosted: 04/04/24 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The idea that Ivey would leave Notre Dame for any school is right now. At this point, Notre Dame is a destination and Tennessee is a relic. I completely believe it could change, but Ivey has invested the majority of her adult life in Notre Dame and they in her.

The current Notre Dame team is very much a reflection of her. A continuation of Guard U and she has had great success in the portal as well as luring top tier recruits.

The staff is also very much her people. Michaela Mabrey and Charles Allen. Long time staff vet Carol Owens.

Notre Dame - that’s a family. Mom ain’t leaving.

PostPosted: 04/04/24 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:

Maybe, but I suspect if Danny White picks a male coach (other than Wes Moore, who Lady Vol Nation knows and is comfortable with) there will be a mass uprising. You don't know them. I do.

He may want Wes Moore, but that doesn't mean Wes is even interested, so he may not even been an option. But also to carry on with your point, on twitter Tennessee fans are saying if Tennessee hires Geno they will no longer be fans of Tennessee, as if Geno is a legitimate realistic option that they need threaten their fandom for Tennessee to not hire him.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/04/24 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
pilight wrote:

ESPECIALLY if he can pull a KENNYtucky move, and get Beers, VonOelhoffen, Gardner and Hunter to defect over....he'd have an EE team practically guaranteed. And of course, orange is.... ORANGE. Cool

But. I doubt it. Razz

PostPosted: 04/05/24 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Tennessee is deadset on a woman, the best candidates they could hope for would be:

Lisa Fourtier, Teri Moren, Brenda Frese, and Nikki Collen.

If they are willing to pursue men, that likely expands the search to include:

Mark Campbell, Scott Rueck, Kevin McGuff, and Vic Schaefer.

If I had to put my money on any of them, it'd be Lisa Fourtier. Her tenure as an assistant under Graves gave him the best 7 year stretch of his career, and she has won 80% of her games at Gonzaga.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Fortier would be a good choice, but it would take time for her to build a different set of connections, both geographically and in terms of level of player.

Mark Campbell would be a nightmare for the rest of the SEC and a lot of other coaches. He's really good, has a track record of success at a high level, and is a great recruiter.

And I would guess he would jump at the chance at that job.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Lisa Fortier would be a good choice, but it would take time for her to build a different set of connections, both geographically and in terms of level of player.

Mark Campbell would be a nightmare for the rest of the SEC and a lot of other coaches. He's really good, has a track record of success at a high level, and is a great recruiter.

And I would guess he would jump at the chance at that job.

I'm not sure Campbell would have a significant advantage in terms of connections, either geographically or in terms of level of player

PostPosted: 04/05/24 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One really good reason for not hiring Brenda Frese is her transfer rate. One look at it is enough to set your teeth on edge. You have to look at that.

Most of the coaches mentioned have little to no experience recruiting in the south. Nicki Collen is the exception.

It would make sense for Danny White to look at that poll in The Athletic too. Just saying.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Most of the coaches mentioned have little to no experience recruiting in the south.

How many of UTK's historical star players or recent recruits have come from the south? I don't know the answer except I recall that Holdsclaw, Randall, Zolman, Ely and Parker were from the north and Bjorklund was from the northwest.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/05/24 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top level recruiting is national, or international, these days.

Look at South Carolina, the undefeated #1 team. Most of their starters are not Southern. None of UConn's starters are from New England.

PostPosted: 04/05/24 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Most of the coaches mentioned have little to no experience recruiting in the south.

How many of UTK's historical star players or recent recruits have come from the south? I don't know the answer except I recall that Holdsclaw, Randall, Zolman, Ely and Parker were from the north and Bjorklund was from the northwest.

Almost everyone from this year's roster was from the south, with the exception of Jackson and Powell being from Michigan (Spear is from Texas, if you count that as the south).

Our only 2024 high school recruit is from Vegas.

More of Holly's recruits were from outside the south, like Westbrook, Horston, Burrell, Collins, Russell, Nared, Reynolds, etc.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/07/24 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is taking so long that I am considering four possibilities:

!. Danny White is stupid and fired Kellie before he had anyone in mind. Not likely but possible.

2. Everyone he had in mind has said no to him because they don't want to be in the situation of following Pat, or because they're happy where they are.

3. He has someone in mind who was still fairly high in either the NCAA or the WBIT and is waiting until those are over before he announces.

4. He had someone in mind, but they were snatched by another school before he could offer.

Any other ideas are welcome.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
This is taking so long that I am considering four possibilities:

!. Danny White is stupid and fired Kellie before he had anyone in mind. Not likely but possible.

2. Everyone he had in mind has said no to him because they don't want to be in the situation of following Pat, or because they're happy where they are.

3. He has someone in mind who was still fairly high in either the NCAA or the WBIT and is waiting until those are over before he announces.

4. He had someone in mind, but they were snatched by another school before he could offer.

Any other ideas are welcome.

They offiically announced the new coach Kim Caldwell this morning - I posted about it in the coaching vacancy thread. Here's the UT release - https://utsports.com/news/2024/4/7/womens-basketball-tennessee-selects-caldwell-to-lead-storied-lady-vol-basketball-program.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/07/24 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim Caldwell? You have got to be kidding me! She was in our conference, and while she is a very good mid-major coach, if Danny White thinks she is going to be better than Kellie Harper, he is STUPID! My point #1 holds.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Really went down the depth chart for this hire.

If I were Kellie Harper I'd either be really pissed or laughing my ass off.

If I were Megan Duffy or Tricia Cullop I'd be on the phone to Harper until she accepted my offer.

Or Kenny Brooks. If he doesn't have room for her on the bench, I'd make up some admin job until I did.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/07/24 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caldwell had a great run at Glenville State and a very good season at Marshall.
Tennessee is a big step up for her..

PostPosted: 04/07/24 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm kind of surprised at this choice. I'm not 100% sure it's a step up from the coach that Tennessee already had, but I'm far from an expert on the matter. It just looks like the AD pressed the "someone else" button. Doesn't mean it won't work, though!

eibln

PostPosted: 04/07/24 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kim Caldwell? You have got to be kidding me! She was in our conference, and while she is a very good mid-major coach, if Danny White thinks she is going to be better than Kellie Harper, he is STUPID! My point #1 holds.

So negative. Yea I get that this isn’t the splash hire everyone thought it would be.

But Danny White is no where near stupid and he has made some great hires over the last couple years. Kim Caldwell was a candidate from the start according to everything I have heard. There was a short list and she was on it. Caldwell has had success everywhere she has been and made Marshall a conference champ in year one. Honestly the hire looks just as good as when Staley was hired by South Carolina. Caldwell is a great x and o’s coach. She will likely pick up some solid transfers to help build. I’m not saying she will be better than Harper but time will tell. It also seemed White wanted to go outside the family and outside the Summit tree. It’s definitely a Danny White type hire, big winners, tireless workers, can recruit and will connect well with people. She is also young. I saw someone compare it to the Kalen Deboer hire from Fresno to Washington in football. Give her a chance and show her some solid support.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Honestly the hire looks just as good as when Staley was hired by South Carolina.

Caldwell has much less D-I experience than Staley did and doesn't have the advantage of having played at the highest levels. Caldwell may do well, but on paper she doesn't look as good as Staley did in 2008.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have also heard that Teri Moren, Indiana HC and Kara Lawson, Duke HC have rejected overtures from Tennessee. Kim Caldwell was one of the top choices from the beginning though.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

So negative. Yea I get that this isn’t the splash hire everyone thought it would be.

But Danny White is no where near stupid and he has made some great hires over the last couple years. Kim Caldwell was a candidate from the start according to everything I have heard. There was a short list and she was on it. Caldwell has had success everywhere she has been and made Marshall a conference champ in year one. Honestly the hire looks just as good as when Staley was hired by South Carolina. Caldwell is a great x and o’s coach. She will likely pick up some solid transfers to help build. I’m not saying she will be better than Harper but time will tell. It also seemed White wanted to go outside the family and outside the Summit tree. It’s definitely a Danny White type hire, big winners, tireless workers, can recruit and will connect well with people. She is also young. I saw someone compare it to the Kalen Deboer hire from Fresno to Washington in football. Give her a chance and show her some solid support.

No. Fucking. Way. She is in no way ready for prime time. Sorry, friend. I have seen her in action and she is just not. If you think Tennessee fans are mad at Harper, you ain't seen nothing yet! She needed to stay in the minors a while longer.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

No. Fucking. Way. She is in no way ready for prime time. Sorry, friend. I have seen her in action and she is just not. If you think Tennessee fans are mad at Harper, you ain't seen nothing yet! She needed to stay in the minors a while longer.

You got some attitude lol. You aren’t the only one who has seen her in action. The coaches pretty well. Yes there will be adjustments she will have to make at the higher level of the game but still can do well.

I really don’t think Tennessee fans were mad at Harper, a good majority were sad to see her go or shocked she was let go. I liked Harper, she was solid but if next year didn’t look much better, I think the same decision might have been made. I understand what Danny White is trying to do. I think you just need to give him a chance to see if the decision was the right one. I know White’s history and I am digging into Caldwell more and more. She has been very impressive. And to say she isn’t ready after taking a mid major with only one tournament appearance and almost no history in the modern era to a NCAA tournament and sweep the conference championships in a Solid sun belt conference. Give her a chance. If she falls on her face, then you can rub it my face if you want. I’m not saying it will work, but what I can tell, she should be alright, if not do really well.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You got some attitude lol. You aren’t the only one who has seen her in action. The coaches pretty well. Yes there will be adjustments she will have to make at the higher level of the game but still can do well.

I really don’t think Tennessee fans were mad at Harper, a good majority were sad to see her go or shocked she was let go. I liked Harper, she was solid but if next year didn’t look much better, I think the same decision might have been made. I understand what Danny White is trying to do. I think you just need to give him a chance to see if the decision was the right one. I know White’s history and I am digging into Caldwell more and more. She has been very impressive. And to say she isn’t ready after taking a mid major with only one tournament appearance and almost no history in the modern era to a NCAA tournament and sweep the conference championships in a Solid sun belt conference. Give her a chance. If she falls on her face, then you can rub it my face if you want. I’m not saying it will work, but what I can tell, she should be alright, if not do really well.

PostPosted: 04/07/24 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You think saying everything twice is going to make it sound better?

Look, JMU is IN the SBC. While it is a step up from the morass of a conference JMU was in, it is still very much a mid-major conference. Caldwell has absolutely NO experience to back her up. She was at Glenville State, a D-II school in WV, before Marshall. That's it. She is in no way ready for the SEC. She has never faced coaches like Dawn or Kim or even Coach Yo or Kristy Curry. I do not foresee a good season for the Lady Vols at all. Of course she might bring the Hayes sisters with her, which would be a huge laugh, seeing as how their big sister was kicked off the team by Holly Warlick. Not sure their stage daddy would like that at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: