RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Louisiana St vs #1 Iowa - 4/01/24
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regardless of whether Iowa wins a NC, Clark is in my opinion the greatest offensive player in the history of WCBB. Top scorer. Top 3pt shooter. One of the five best passers. Extremely effective driver. Genius basketball IQ and predictive court vision.
Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations, Iowa! Wish I could have watched this one.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you all gods and goddesses - Iowa is going to the final four and LSU is not.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I am so more than done with the "all about me" Kimmie and Angel show.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus has returned in the body of?

It's Caitlin Clark!!!

Woo!!! Hoo!

Hawkeyes Win!!!

tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Clark's team are far from nobodies. They are all very good shooters, the most important thing in basketball, and they all have high offensive IQ's. Their weakness is that they are a little slow on defense, so they play zone a lot.

From what I've seen this season, Sydney Affolter is even better than the injured Molly Davis.

Which ones were McDonald's all-Americans? Which ones will get drafted in the WNBA?

Just because players aren't elite enough to be among the two handfuls of players who make the WNBA each year does not mean they are not very effective college players, much less "nobodies."

"Nobody" isn't saying "no talent" as you are suggesting. Or at least as I am using it. Anyone who gets to start on a DI team has talent. It says "not someone anyone knows about (outside the team fanbase) or touts". At least that is how I consider it. Not a name coming out of high school and not a name in college. Not someone who gets top 25 college coaches excited if they enter the "portal".

Last edited by tfan on 04/01/24 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Van Lith has sucked tonight.

I’ve seen nothing from Van Lith that indicates she was worth the hype in any game I’ve seen her play. Not sure if she was just overrated or if there’s something about her style that just doesn’t work at this level.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I’ve seen nothing from Van Lith that indicates she was worth the hype in any game I’ve seen her play. Not sure if she was just overrated or if there’s something about her style that just doesn’t work at this level.

Certainly didn't shoot well tonight: 2 of 10 overall with 1 of 6 from three.

I think she should have stayed at Louisville where she would have been a bigger factor in the offense, and playing as a two. And Wahl seems to like small guards (or maybe that is all he can get). Van Lith no doubt wanted to get on a better team, but I think she also wanted to have former point guard Mulkey helping her become a point guard worthy of the WNBA. But next to her athletic LSU teammates it appears she has size and quickness issues that will make a WNBA career difficult.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

She was a 20+ppg scorer on a final four and final 8 team. I’m not sure who that player was, but it didn’t look a thing like HVL all season. Mulkey absolutely put her in a position to fail this game..

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

She was a 20+ppg scorer on a final four and final 8 team. I’m not sure who that player was, but it didn’t look a thing like HVL all season. Mulkey absolutely put her in a position to fail this game..

She had one season in which she scored 19 ppg. The F4 season she was under 15 ppg.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Flau’jae is a gem.

She certainly is! Cool

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fantastic showcase for our game, demonstrating (again) the elevated caliber we've been enjoying.

It's pretty remarkable how last year's champion - who only got stronger the following year with Top Players coming in from the portal - gets taken down by a team with One Big Star and a lotta "nobodies" (😂). Kim IS an elite coach, and she DID have elite talent, but....ya gotta still play the game out. I think she was outcoached in this one. Bluder & Staff know their stuff. Congrats to the Hawkeyes, and kudos to The Tigers for making an exciting game. .
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Regardless of whether Iowa wins a NC, Clark is in my opinion the greatest offensive player in the history of WCBB. Top scorer. Top 3pt shooter. One of the five best passers. Extremely effective driver. Genius basketball IQ and predictive court vision.

I gotta agree with that. And she accomplished all her records in a standard, four-year stint. [I heard it mentioned that she broke the record for career 3s, held by Taylor Robertson who had 5 seasons at Oklahoma]

One thing that I don't hear much chatter about is the degree of composure Clark exhibits. Her steely self-confidence makes such an enormous difference, especially on such grand stages as this one. I believe she should have felt much more pressure in this 'rematch' game. With the last meeting having drawn so much hype last year, it seems to have been the exact opposite. THAT'S remarkable, in its own right.

TechDawgMc wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I felt kinda bad for HVL - I don't remember how (if?) that matchup went in last year's championship game, but THIS time, Clark made her look like an 8th grader. 😲

Yeah, Mulkey dressed pretty normally today. Maybe she's gotten some help from her one assistant, Jennifer Roberts (....who always reminds me of Morticia Adams; she works a lot with image/NIL stuff)

Excellent game - I got MY money's worth!😎😁

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey didn't even adjust when Clark started cooking. Just bad coaching. I feel bad for HVL. She actually tried.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Johnson is a growing superstar. She will be the second coming of KFC.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

She's my favorite LSU player.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I feel like she is prime to end up on the Aces one day.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU brought in some high level talent but never replaced what Alexis Morris brought to the table. LSU needed an experienced PG. The second half they just seemed out of control and struggled beyond one on one plays to get the ball where it needed to go. More leadership and fewer turn overs.

Iowa executed much better, had a now typical other worldly performance from Clark, amped up their physicality and the other players like Martin and Sulke stepped up an pulled their weight when called upon.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 04/02/24 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
elsie

PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not being inducted into the almighty wnba in no way reflective of a great college team or player....different types of games completely...

those "nobody's of Iowa did pretty good tonite...

elsie

PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hvl.....there was so much hype about CC, PB and Hvl coming in.....among the three, hvl seems to be the most obnoxious....which I hate....she seems mad at the world in general...

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van Lith has become a meme which is never good.

The funniest reaction I saw about last night's game was on Twitter where someone wrote, "Just call Caitlin Clark the Washington Post because Mulkey has no answer for her yet".
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/24 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

12.3 million most watched college basketball game ever ! Great job ladies Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/04/24 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Mulkey didn't even adjust when Clark started cooking. Just bad coaching. I feel bad for HVL. She actually tried.

Announcers did say that HVL was "under the weather" even before the game. So I'm kinda not surprised that she didn't play well, But Kim, supposedly such a good Xs and Os coach, should have made an adjustment and didn't, so that's on her. Was she actually trying to lose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: