RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Oregon St vs #2 Notre Dame - 3/29/24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/29/24 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The biggest thing I think to watch for is long fingernails. I remember seeing a WNBA player with nails out over her fingers and wondered why that was allowed as it could do big damage to an eye.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/24 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They seemed to be having a hard time getting that jewel out of Hidalgo's nose, tugging and twisting her schnozz with what looked like pliers. Maybe the difficulty of removal is why Hidalgo didn't want to remove it before the game and asked to cover it with a band-aid instead.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/24 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
They seemed to be having a hard time getting that jewel out of Hidalgo's nose, tugging and twisting her schnozz with what looked like pliers. Maybe the difficulty of removal is why Hidalgo didn't want to remove it before the game and asked to cover it with a band-aid instead.

Those things are designed to stay secure. I still don't see why the situation was different at the end of the first quarter than before the game.

PostPosted: 03/29/24 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Those things are designed to stay secure. I still don't see why the situation was different at the end of the first quarter than before the game.

The opposing bench probably complained.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/24 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Then the ref needed to own that HH was told to just cover it. And that this is what had been done all year.

Someone owes HH and ND an apology for what happened.

HH owes the NCAA and the officials an apology for saying it was a BS call.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tahoma17

PostPosted: 03/29/24 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Replying to Aces' comment (quoted below) at 9:52 p.m. (March 29, 2024)

"The opposing bench probably complained."

Frankly, that seems like cheap-shot speculation, without any evidence whatsoever. Without any evidence, it is really unfair and demeaning to Oregon State. I agree that if these refs had a problem with it, it should have been raised before the game started and not in the middle. But, on a related note, are the NCAA rules on no jewelry so unclear/confusing that Hidalgo and Notre Dame thought she complied with the rules? (And I say this as someone who is not a Notre Dame fan generally and who hopes Hidalgo gets the freshman of the year award over Watkins.) The fact that some refs may have let it go, is no guarantee that other refs would not find it violated the rules.
Quote:

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/24 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tahoma17 wrote:
Replying to Aces' comment (quoted below) at 9:52 p.m. (March 29, 2024)

"The opposing bench probably complained."

Frankly, that seems like cheap-shot speculation, without any evidence whatsoever. Without any evidence, it is really unfair and demeaning to Oregon State. I agree that if these refs had a problem with it, it should have been raised before the game started and not in the middle. But, on a related note, are the NCAA rules on no jewelry so unclear/confusing that Hidalgo and Notre Dame thought she complied with the rules? (And I say this as someone who is not a Notre Dame fan generally and who hopes Hidalgo gets the freshman of the year award over Watkins.) The fact that some refs may have let it go, is no guarantee that other refs would not find it violated the rules.
Quote:

I don't think that the rule is unclear, but I have several complaints about the way this was handled.

1. She's been wearing it ALL year. So it isn't SOME refs. It has been ALL refs. Not a single one of them has said anything (she would have stopped wearing it). ND has played 35 games this year. That is 105+ (the alternate refs) opportunities to say something. Crickets.....

2. There is NO fucking way that SOMEONE at the NCAA offices didn't notice it. SOMEONE in the officials office had to notice it with as much game film as they review. It's their JOB to enforce the rules. They send memos to officials all the time about strange plays/situations to be aware of. To let this slip through for all these months, all these games is beyond negligent.

3. HH is not the only player that has had a nose ring in. I've seen others with them. I wish I could remember who, but all of the games are pretty much a blur at this point in the season.

4. Joseph Vaszily - lead official for the Oregon State game - has done other ND games this year.

He did championship game of the ACC tourney on 3/10/24. https://gopack.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/-14-14-notre-dame/boxscore/23360

He did the ND/VT game on 2/29/24. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401604056

I wouldn't be surprised if he did more.

5. This was a failure of the NCAA. One that might have cost ND a chance at a National Championship (probably not, but we'll never know.)

It possibly cost Niele some bonus money.

I'm just watching the game now. At 3:06 of the first quarter, Rueck is saying something to the ref with the longer hair (I don't know which one she is, I'm not familiar with the two women). I'm not saying that he said anything, but if he did, I would say that could be when he did. I will say that I get the same vibe from Rueck that I get from Walz.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/30/24 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
How ‘bout those Beavs? Timea is such a weapon. Inside, outside, D, O & D rebounding. She does it all.

Excellent game, in any number of ways. I don't think many of you on this thread have followed Or St. this season, or you might not be surprised by this result. I've agreed with the many analysts who've declared the PAC 12 The Strongest Conference this season: this is underscored by having FIVE teams in the sweet 16. That's not a fluke. And in that conference, Oregon State has had a steady but steep rise in quality of play over the entire season, and fully deserved this game.

TOs? Yeah, they matter. But in the final analysis, what matters most is which team puts the ball through the hoop the most. Dat be de Beavs. Cool

PostPosted: 03/30/24 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

It looked like the diamond mounting screwed onto the post. I'm guessing that it was really hard to get ahold of. Trainer Anna probably had something holding the post inside her nostril, while it looked like another trainer/manager was using a pair of forceps to twist it apart.

Was it just me, or did it look like she was turning it the wrong way?? "Righty tighty, lefty loosey." Sure looked like she was turning it to the right.

I'd hate to see what that jewelry looks like tonight. And Hannah's nose. I'm guessing that the hole closed up during the game and if she wants to put it back in, she'll need to get it re-pierced.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/30/24 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It looked like the diamond mounting screwed onto the post. I'm guessing that it was really hard to get ahold of. Trainer Anna probably had something holding the post inside her nostril, while it looked like another trainer/manager was using a pair of forceps to twist it apart.

Was it just me, or did it look like she was turning it the wrong way?? "Righty tighty, lefty loosey." Sure looked like she was turning it to the right.

I'd hate to see what that jewelry looks like tonight. And Hannah's nose. I'm guessing that the hole closed up during the game and if she wants to put it back in, she'll need to get it re-pierced.

Yup. I’d be so pissed if I was her. Covering it should have been fine.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Then the ref needed to own that HH was told to just cover it. And that this is what had been done all year.

Yeah, right. An apology for making her comply with the rules that EVERYONE ELSE is in compliance with. GMAFB.
Hope HH's not holding her breath waiting for that apology. She'd be better served by owning up to her responsibility and moving forward - smarter and wiser.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Yeah, right. An apology for making her comply with the rules that EVERYONE ELSE is in compliance with. GMAFB.

So it is your contention that there have been no instances of other players wearing similar jewelry in this tournament?

PostPosted: 03/30/24 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
osubeavers wrote:

So it is your contention that there have been no instances of other players wearing similar jewelry in this tournament?

Burden of proof is on you, not me.

Have there been players in the tournament committing fouls that have not been called? Of course. Does that mean that consequently NO fouls can be called? Of course not.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Hope HH's not holding her breath waiting for that apology. She'd be better served by owning up to her responsibility and moving forward - smarter and wiser.

OFFS!! Rolling Eyes

We've got a rule that has been ignored ALL year. With plenty of opportunities to enforce it. All the way from an alternate official sitting at the scorers table to Penny Davis, NCAA’s national coordinator of women’s basketball officiating.

Nothing.

Not a fucking peep.

Until yesterday. And nothing about removing it, just cover it was as far as that enforcement went. Then PALM Rueck says something, a game official cowers, and HH misses valuable minutes on court.

Yeah, that's fair.

This is like a transfer playing all year, then telling her at the end of the 1st quarter, she can't. It's irresponsible. It's poor leadership from the NCAA to allow this to happen.

Everyone understands that it is the rule. It's the timing of the enforcement that leads to questions of integrity and sportsmanship.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/24 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprise, surprise!! Here's a little more about Penny Davis.

From her Linkedin page:

Director of Official's Development
Northwest Intercollegiate Basketball Official's Association (NWIBOA)
Jun 2009 - Jul 2019 10 years 2 months
Pacific Northwest
Lead and direct training and development program for staff of officials for the Northwest, Cascade and Northwest Athletic Conferences. Work closely with coordinators of officials, coaches and institution administrators to identify areas of improvement.

And the NCAA:
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2019/7/1/penny-davis-named-ncaa-national-coordinator-of-women-s-basketball-officiating.aspx
An NCAA Women’s Final Four official in 2015 and 2018, Davis has worked a 75-game schedule as an NCAA official for many years. She has officiated games in the Pac-12, West Coast, Mountain West, Western Athletic and Big Sky conferences.

Yeah, nothing funny there! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/30/24 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest
Lead and direct training and development program for staff of officials for the Northwest, Cascade and Northwest Athletic Conferences. Work closely with coordinators of officials, coaches and institution administrators to identify areas of improvement.

And the NCAA:
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2019/7/1/penny-davis-named-ncaa-national-coordinator-of-women-s-basketball-officiating.aspx
An NCAA Women’s Final Four official in 2015 and 2018, Davis has worked a 75-game schedule as an NCAA official for many years. She has officiated games in the Pac-12, West Coast, Mountain West, Western Athletic and Big Sky conferences.

Noun
Sore Loser (plural sore losers)

(informal) One who complains or blames others for one's loss; one who is easily angered by losing a game or contest, or because of some other misfortune or bad luck.
Synonyms: bad loser, hard loser, poor loser.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

(informal) One who complains or blames others for one's loss; one who is easily angered by losing a game or contest, or because of some other misfortune or bad luck.

Reading comprehension: the ability to process written text, understand its meaning, and to integrate with what the reader already knows.[1][2][3][4] Reading comprehension relies on two abilities that are connected to each other: word reading and language comprehension.

Class is now in session.
Quote:
I'm not saying that's why they lost,

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/30/24 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You've GOTTTT to be kidding me - or maybe you've just been stuck in The Land of Dan Quayle and Mike Pence for too long....Razz

Oregon State shot 60% from the floor, with 42 rebounds
Notre Dame shot 35% from the floor, with 24 rebounds

THE DEBACLE OVER HANNA HIDALGO'S NOSE RING HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH OREGON STATE'S VICTORY. The Better Team won.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
You've GOTTTT to be kidding me - or maybe you've just been stuck in The Land of Dan Quayle and Mike Pence for too long....Razz

Oregon State shot 60% from the floor, with 42 rebounds
Notre Dame shot 35% from the floor, with 24 rebounds

THE DEBACLE OVER HANNA HIDALGO'S NOSE RING HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH OREGON STATE'S VICTORY. The Better Team won.

I'll refer you to my previous post.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

Reading comprehension: the ability to process written text, understand its meaning, and to integrate with what the reader already knows.[1][2][3][4] Reading comprehension relies on two abilities that are connected to each other: word reading and language comprehension.

Class is now in session.
Quote:

Amen. Therefore this entire protracted jewelry discussion 100% totally pointless. The result is the result. Nobody is going to offer any apology. Nobody is going to receive any apology - because no apology is warranted.

Final Result Oregon State 70. Notre Dame 65. End of story. Good game/season Irish.

PS I hope the poor nose stud wasn't irretrievably damaged. That would be a shame.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

Class is now in session.
Quote:

Amen. Therefore this entire protracted jewelry discussion 100% totally pointless. The result is the result. Nobody is going to offer any apology. Nobody is going to receive any apology - because no apology is warranted.

Final Result Oregon State 70. Notre Dame 65. End of story. Good game/season Irish.

PS I hope the poor nose stud wasn't irretrievably damaged. That would be a shame.

I disagree.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

Class is now in session.
Quote:

I disagree.

I respect that.

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

Class is now in session.
Quote:

I disagree.

I respect that.

Here's why:

It was shameful what "adults" put that young woman through. It isn't hard to imagine that she feels like she let her team down, that she was responsible. When it was the "adults" that failed.

Like I said yesterday, I hope that whoever it was has a long miserable life.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 03/30/24 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
osubeavers wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

From her Linkedin page:

Pacific Northwest

And the NCAA:

Noun

Class is now in session.
Quote:

I disagree.

I respect that.

Here's why:

It was shameful what "adults" put that young woman through. It isn't hard to imagine that she feels like she let her team down, that she was responsible. When it was the "adults" that failed.

Like I said yesterday, I hope that whoever it was has a long miserable life.

Things are tough all over.
Life is a vale of tears.
Have a happy Easter.

PostPosted: 03/31/24 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slate talked to So. Carolina about nosegate.

Quote:
“legal” as long as refs determined those plastic placeholders are “not dangerous to other players.”

If "not dangerous to other players" is the standard, then the face masks that so many have worn this season should not be allowed. They have more potential to injure other players than that micro-mini stud did.

Quote:
But Gamecocks starters Kamilla Cardoso and Ashlyn Watkins both told The State they’ve played numerous games this season with their nose piercings in

Quote:
“Some of us have been playing with nose rings for the whole season,” said Cardoso, USC’s 6-foot-7 center, adding that “sometimes I do play with nose rings.

Quote:
“That was really on the refs,” Watkins said. “They could’ve told her to take it out before the game.”

Quote:
“It’s very inconsistent,” Paopao said. “I mean, in the beginning of the season, nothing was being said. Everybody was playing with jewelry in their nose. … I just find it weird that they’re really cracking down on that rule (now).”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: