RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mulkey's Pissed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snzuluz

PostPosted: 03/31/24 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For players, words and actions stay with them the longest. The Washington Post article certainly runs on that theme. WORDS MATTER!

Learning to forgive (doesn’t mean you don’t forget) is a life skill that Mulkey certainly has never learned. Harboring resentment because you haven’t learned to forgive makes you a hard shelled person and that carries over into relationships on a personal level and professional level to include players. It seems that if you hurt her she doesn’t have the emotional maturity level to learn to forgive and move on… her father and her sister who she no longer talks to.

Both she and Gino try and use humor at least what they think it’s humor making comments to/about their players, but they never stop to think how those words hurt. It’s great to win a lot of games but at what cost. Most of the players interviewed in the article talked about the words she used and how emotionally unavailable she was or even dismissive when they ran into her later. One of them actually want to thank her for everything she did for her and Mulkey simply walked away and never said anything in response.

That’s who she is as a person and that’s really sad.

It’s great to be a hardnose coach like Tara at Stanford’s, Pat at Tennessee, Gino at UConn, Andy Landers when he was at Georgia, and Mulkey. But in the end, words matter and the tone in which you use towards your players.

Mulkey has not learned that her snide comments about a players dress, appearance, or even the color of her hair (which is interesting since many of her LSU players have different colored hair in the wigs that they wear) in the end are all hurtful even though she think she’s joking around. Her attitude of I don’t care what people think of me is immature on her part as the supposed leader of a program and a very public figure.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/31/24 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gino?

if you mean Geno, what words has he ever said that hurt his players?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/31/24 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA Times updates their column.

Quote:
Mulkey went on an extended rant over what she called "sexist" language in the column, which originally called the game vs. UCLA a battle of "good vs. evil." In particular, Mulkey objected to the description of her defending NCAA champion Lady Tigers as "dirty debutantes."

That phrase, along with references to LSU as "villains," and references to UCLA as "milk and cookies" and "America's sweethearts" were also removed from the column (though "America’s sweethearts vs. its basketball villains" remained in the headline and the online link).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/03/31/kim-mulkeys-major-changes-la-times-column/73160364007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/31/24 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have never met Kim Mulkey and know nothing about her, really -- but the Post article is certainly consistent with what most of us believe.

It is equally true that Mulkey is a brilliant coach and fierce competitor.

Without doubting the sincerity of her feelings, this whole controversy has removed every bit of pressure from LSU. No one's talking about Angel Reese's or Flau'jae Johnson's attitudes and actions. With all the focus on Mulkey, LSU's players can simply focus on the game. By now, they've come to terms with Mulkey's coaching style and will zero in on the goal.

If some are unhappy, they'll leave at season's end, but no one's talking about it now because Mulkey is sucking up all the media oxygen. All in all, I think this helps LSU's chances a lot more than it hurts them.

PostPosted: 03/31/24 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And now she's screaming at the LA Times, who apparently "updated" their article after she did, but she's still pouting. In the end, it's all about HER. Always was.

Pat Summitt could be hard-nosed and sharp-tongued on occasion, but nobody ever doubted that she loved her players. Ask any of them, anyone who played for her. And she always took time for her fans. That's the difference.

PostPosted: 03/31/24 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
Gino?

if you mean Geno, what words has he ever said that hurt his players?

She means Luigi....... Twisted Evil

jap

PostPosted: 03/31/24 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I have never met Kim Mulkey and know nothing about her, really -- but the Post article is certainly consistent with what most of us believe.

Without doubting the sincerity of her feelings, this whole controversy has removed every bit of pressure from LSU. No one's talking about Angel Reese's or Flau'jae Johnson's attitudes and actions. With all the focus on Mulkey, LSU's players can simply focus on the game. By now, they've come to terms with Mulkey's coaching style and will zero in on the goal.

If some are unhappy, they'll leave at season's end, but no one's talking about it now because Mulkey is sucking up all the media oxygen. All in all, I think this helps LSU's chances a lot more than it hurts them.

Which is what I felt was Kim's intention all along. I have seen some coaches go to over-the-top extremes in multiple sports to take the pressure off their players and absorb everything themselves.

PostPosted: 03/31/24 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And now she's screaming at the LA Times, who apparently "updated" their article after she did, but she's still pouting. In the end, it's all about HER. Always was.

Pat Summitt could be hard-nosed and sharp-tongued on occasion, but nobody ever doubted that she loved her players. Ask any of them, anyone who played for her. And she always took time for her fans. That's the difference.

I get that you don’t like Kim, and that there are good reasons, but the Times article was way out of line. That’s why they revised it. They were catching crap from a number of sources. And just deleting the offensive stuff and reposting seems pretty weak to me. Somewhat like “even paranoids have enemies” even drama queens sometimes have a point

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/31/24 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Which is what I felt was Kim's intention all along. I have seen some coaches go to over-the-top extremes in multiple sports to take the pressure off their players and absorb everything themselves.

Geno has done this.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
LA Times updates their column.

Quote:
Mulkey went on an extended rant over what she called "sexist" language in the column, which originally called the game vs. UCLA a battle of "good vs. evil." In particular, Mulkey objected to the description of her defending NCAA champion Lady Tigers as "dirty debutantes."

That phrase, along with references to LSU as "villains," and references to UCLA as "milk and cookies" and "America's sweethearts" were also removed from the column (though "America’s sweethearts vs. its basketball villains" remained in the headline and the online link).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/03/31/kim-mulkeys-major-changes-la-times-column/73160364007/

That LA Times article was AWFUL! I'm not sure how it made it past an editor. It was sexist, racist, misogynistic, and just plain bad.

Cori Close had retweet it, but removed that and posted an apology saying she just saw the headline and didn't read the article. LA Times updated because it was that bad.

If the writer wanted to contrast styles of play, do that. If he wanted to contrast coaching styles, do that. But to personally attack LSU players, no, not that.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/01/24 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for finding the one word I misspelled in my post and overlooked it when I went back to proofread it. I’m glad that that’s all you got out of my post.

Go back over the years and either look up articles or videos where Geno has thrown his players under the bus… if you even listen to some of his former players talk about his sarcastic responses/comments to them and how his words hurt.

He and Mulky are cut from the same cloth. He has mellowed quite a bit in the last couple years but he used to be Hurtful in his actions and words and had biting comments at his press conferences about players after a game, in which she lost.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pat was never, ever, nasty about players in public. She could dress them down in private, and did, but was never nasty in public. I can remember Geno throwing players under the bus though he has mellowed a lot recently, perhaps realizing that his coaching days are numbered or maybe just realizing that he's getting old. Kim, OTOH, bears all the hallmarks of a narcissist.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LA Times writer apologizes.

Quote:
"Words matter. As a journalist, no one should know this more than me. Yet I have failed miserably in my choice of words.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2024/04/01/la-times-reporter-apology-lsu-ucla-colum-kim-mulkey/73172798007/

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/11/24 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, where'd we end up on that defamation suit, btw?

ridor

PostPosted: 04/13/24 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

You so bad. Don't worry. Kim Mulkey announced that she's entering the transfer portal.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/13/24 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

You so bad. Don't worry. Kim Mulkey announced that she's entering the transfer portal.

....speaking of which, "Kim" also makes a hilarious appearance on SNL's cold open (see the "Caitlin makes SNL" thread here) 🤣

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: