RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfer Portal 2023-24 and New Signees 2024-25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 04/05/24 2:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
Lisa Fortier was the assistant at Gonzaga thru most of Graves yrs and I think she did the primary recruiting including probably Sloot.....I'm not saying that Lisa is the greatest coach, but she does get the most out of her players, recruits solid people for her team, runs a very disciplined program and she had 4 seniors stay for their covid year and another Yvonne Ejim staying for her covid year next year and she is the Becky Hammon award winner and WCC player of the year. and could be playing professional......people seldom bolt from the program....

She was there from seasons 8-14 at Gonzaga during the Graves era. I think her first season as an assistant was Vandersloot's freshmen season,

PostPosted: 04/05/24 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Howee wrote:
This transfer portal shit has KILLED Oregon.

If everyone seems to want out of somewhere, is the escape route the first place to be looking to place the blame though?

Further to the above, I got a discounted subscription to The Athletic recently, and I'm enjoying the content. One thing in particular I'm liking is the anonymous player/coach/GM surveys that they do.

This one kinda ties in to the Oregon situation. It's a survey of players, asking which coach they would not want to play for

PostPosted: 04/05/24 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clara Strack, 6'5 C, from UVA, also following Kenny Brooks to Kentucky. Who else?

PostPosted: 04/05/24 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Clara Strack, 6'5 C, from UVA, also following Kenny Brooks to Kentucky. Who else?

The incoming Aussie

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/24 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarah Strong, the #1 ESPN ranked player in the 2024 class, will finally announce her college decision Saturday, April 6, at 11 am on ESPN, which is the halftime of the Chipotle National Championship high school game between IMG Academy and Montverde Academy.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 04/06/24 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 04/05/24 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
I mentioned both Lisa Fourtier and Mark Campbell for a reason. He had only won 54% of his games at Gonzaga in the 7 seasons before he hired Fourtier. In his 7 seasons after hiring Fourtier, his winning percentage was 82%. She made him at Gonzaga like Campbell made him at Oregon. I stand by the opinion that he's average without an amazing assistant.

Not having followed his pathway at Gonzaga much (beyond the hot *headlines*, that is) I wasn't aware of Lisa's tenure there. Those 2 scenarios certainly make the case for assistants deserving the credit.

Past aside, I think his past 2 years of bleeding Top Talent is a conundrum that goes beyond good/crappy assistants. I can't think of one P5 progtram that has lost so much talent, in such a short time. I KNOW his players in general - certainly his stars - loved him. I know he was at Sabrina's wedding, for example.

I have a feeling there's a breaking story not far down the road.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarah Strong to UConn

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39886931/top-2024-recruit-sarah-strong-commits-uconn

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/06/24 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooklynn Miles (5'5 Jr PG, Franfort, KY) and Jordy Griggs (6'2 So W, Moreno Valley, CA) are the latest entrants into the portal out of Kentucky. Looks like Kenny is going to have to build himself a whole new team, but I"m betting he can do that.

PostPosted: 04/06/24 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Sarah Strong to UConn

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39886931/top-2024-recruit-sarah-strong-commits-uconn

Never heard of a high school recruit announcing over Final Four weekend.
Seems so odd / a bit of a red flag. This weekend isn’t about you…

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/07/24 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
SPD wrote:
Sarah Strong to UConn

Never heard of a high school recruit announcing over Final Four weekend.
Seems so odd / a bit of a red flag. This weekend isn’t about you…

Today would have been the biggest game of her high school career if her team won, it’s not her fault the tournament for the high school national championship is the same weekend as the NCAA Final Four. It’s not a red flag when others make announcements on days that are supposed to be significant in their individual careers, but she shouldn’t be allowed to because it happens to coincides with the Finals Four when she doesn’t get a choice of the day of the game and weekend of the tournament. It would be different it is was just a day with no significances to her and she just picked to announce it the weekend of the Final Four, but that’s not the case here.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/24 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some transfers from the Big East:

UConn:
Ines Bettencourt, 5'9 Sr G
Amari DeBerry, 6'6 Jr F

Georgetown
Mayla Ham 5'11 Fr F
Yasmin Ott 5'7 G

Marquette
Lee Volker 5'11 Jr G (this is in addition to the ones already mentioned)

St. John's
Tyonna Bailey 5'11 Fr. G

Villanova
Kylie Swider 6'4 Sr C
Abigail Jegede 5'10 Fr G

The UConn bench riders would probably be good enough to be everyday players somewhere else.

PostPosted: 04/08/24 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some transfers from the Big East:

UConn:
Ines Bettencourt, 5'9 Sr G
Amari DeBerry, 6'6 Jr F

Georgetown
Mayla Ham 5'11 Fr F
Yasmin Ott 5'7 G

Marquette
Lee Volker 5'11 Jr G (this is in addition to the ones already mentioned)

St. John's
Tyonna Bailey 5'11 Fr. G

Villanova
Kylie Swider 6'4 Sr C
Abigail Jegede 5'10 Fr G

The UConn bench riders would probably be good enough to be everyday players somewhere else.

That is ‘only’ the third Marquette player in the portal and the other two entered the portal before Duffy left. The problem is with those three, 4 players graduating (two passed up a Covid year to wrap up their basketball careers), they are now left with only 5 players on their roster and I think one of their 3 signees for 2024 is still committed to MU so that would make a whole 6 players. Let’s see if anyone is left by the time they announce a new coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/24 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the Marshall players in the portal since their coach left for Tennessee:

Aislynn Hayes, 5'8 Jr G
Alasia Hayes, 5'8 So G
Terah Harness, 5'9 Jr. G
Sydni Scott, 5'8 So G
Mahogany Matthews, 6'1 Sr. F

Aislynn Hayes and Sydni Scott can both shoot the lights out. It would be a hoot if the Hayes sisters followed their coach to UT, since Holly Warlick kicked their big sister Anastasia off the team. I wonder if their stage daddy would put up with it....

PostPosted: 04/09/24 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Janiah barker out at Texas A&M

She has a "no contact tag" attach. Where will she go?? Kentucky??

PostPosted: 04/09/24 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan’s Laila Phelia has entered the portal. Likely one of the top players in the portal. Her portal entry was not expected by most as she was expected to be the leader of the team next year yet again.

Also the Wolverine’s lose Chyna Evans to the portal.

Michigan is gonna have to hit the portal hard to add some veterans around the incoming 5 stars.

I have not heard any reasons for why Michigan now has three the portal.

PostPosted: 04/09/24 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The nation’s 3rd leading scorer Villanova’s Lucy Olsen is in the portal -https://x.com/goodmansport/status/1777804839377858951?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/09/24 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Michigan’s Laila Phelia has entered the portal. Likely one of the top players in the portal. Her portal entry was not expected by most as she was expected to be the leader of the team next year yet again.

Michigan is gonna have to hit the portal hard to add some veterans around the incoming 5 stars.

What?! Wow! KBA's program has also seemed stable and we haven't lost many players to the portal. I can't recall any the caliber of Phelia. Wonder if there's something else going on...besides the fact that we're in the portal era.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/09/24 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

I have zero inside knowledge but she was close to Yo during her recruitment. I wouldn’t be surprised if she goes to LSU or Ole Miss…

tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/24 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
eibln wrote:

What?! Wow! KBA's program has also seemed stable and we haven't lost many players to the portal. I can't recall any the caliber of Phelia. Wonder if there's something else going on...besides the fact that we're in the portal era.

She might want to play on a better team.

eibln

PostPosted: 04/09/24 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
eibln wrote:

She might want to play on a better team.

A better team? You must not know much about Michigan success recently. They have been quite the stable program. They had to figure out the roster after Naz Hillmon graduated but they have really talented players coming in next season and Phelia was gonna lead that team. Michigan has been to the tournament each of the last 4 years and has made a Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight. KBA is a top 25 coach as well, and has built this program. Michigan will be a tough out in the Big Ten next year especially if KBA can gather some transfers to put around the incoming 5 star talent. Michigan has top 10 class coming in next year.

PostPosted: 04/09/24 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Expecting Janiah Barker to LSU. Kimmie collects athletes at the same rate as her gaudy outfits. Just throw 'em together and sometimes it works.

~rAf
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/10/24 4:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i read olsen and iowa have mutual interest... its interesting

pilight

PostPosted: 04/10/24 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A useful portal tracker

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2023-24-transfer-portal-tracker-ncaa-womens-basketball/

PostPosted: 04/10/24 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
A useful portal tracker

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2023-24-transfer-portal-tracker-ncaa-womens-basketball/

Marquette had one more player listed than I expected. But it’s someone who transferred from Marquette to Cincinnati last season - Nia Clark. I’m surprised she has any eligibility left - she has been at 4 schools now - Miami, OH, Xavier, Marquette and Cincinnati. I think she may have been injured at Miami though and may have had a medical redshirt there.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/10/24 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

I know she and Coach Joni Taylor have a great relationship but I was actually surprised that she followed Taylor to Texas A&M from Georgia so the transfer doesn't surprise me. Will be interesting to see where she ends up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: