RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfer Portal 2023-24 and New Signees 2024-25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/24 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Expecting Janiah Barker to LSU. Kimmie collects athletes at the same rate as her gaudy outfits. Just throw 'em together and sometimes it works.

Sometimes?

PostPosted: 04/10/24 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Expecting Janiah Barker to LSU. Kimmie collects athletes at the same rate as her gaudy outfits. Just throw 'em together and sometimes it works.

Sometimes?

My thought it exactly. Sometimes? Really? Mulkey basically always gets things to work. She wouldn’t have a bunch of titles, conference championships, and tournament appearances if things weren’t working

PostPosted: 04/10/24 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Sometimes?

My thought it exactly. Sometimes? Really? Mulkey basically always gets things to work. She wouldn’t have a bunch of titles, conference championships, and tournament appearances if things weren’t working

PostPosted: 04/10/24 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU's Angelica Velez in the transfer portal. First year player, PG.

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/basketball/prized-guard-angelica-velez-entering-transfer-portal

Howee

PostPosted: 04/11/24 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deja Kelly out of UNC? Didn't see that in the cards....

PostPosted: 04/11/24 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Deja Kelly out of UNC? Didn't see that in the cards....

Wonder if she wants to get into a top journalism program to start grad school before heading to the W next year. She wants to become a sports broadcaster.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/11/24 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
tfan wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
eibln wrote:
Michigan’s Laila Phelia has entered the portal. Likely one of the top players in the portal. Her portal entry was not expected by most as she was expected to be the leader of the team next year yet again.

Also the Wolverine’s lose Chyna Evans to the portal.

Michigan is gonna have to hit the portal hard to add some veterans around the incoming 5 stars.

I have not heard any reasons for why Michigan now has three the portal.

What?! Wow! KBA's program has also seemed stable and we haven't lost many players to the portal. I can't recall any the caliber of Phelia. Wonder if there's something else going on...besides the fact that we're in the portal era.

She might want to play on a better team.

A better team? You must not know much about Michigan success recently. They have been quite the stable program. They had to figure out the roster after Naz Hillmon graduated but they have really talented players coming in next season and Phelia was gonna lead that team. Michigan has been to the tournament each of the last 4 years and has made a Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight. KBA is a top 25 coach as well, and has built this program. Michigan will be a tough out in the Big Ten next year especially if KBA can gather some transfers to put around the incoming 5 star talent. Michigan has top 10 class coming in next year.

Phelia was ranked [28, 31, 53, 57] out of high school. But her status improved in college as she played for USA Basketball in 2023. So she may now want to play for a 2024-2025 national contender as high school USA Basketball players will choose title contenders like UConn. While Michigan could compete for the Big 10 title, it isn't likely to compete for the national title. But it could be something else. She had a large group of what looked like family at the Michigan/Ohio State game in Ann Arbor. She could want to play nearer to her hometown near Cinncinati.

Last edited by tfan on 04/11/24 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 04/11/24 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WWE seems to not have worked out for the Cavinder twins. They made an outside-the-ring appearance at an event. But that is all I see. The better of the two entered the portal and is going to TCU.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/11/24 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raegen Beers in the portal. I'd rate her at the #1 in the portal right now. She was the #1 reason Or St made it to the elite eight.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/11/24 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Raegen Beers in the portal. I'd rate her at the #1 in the portal right now. She was the #1 reason Or St made it to the elite eight.

She reportedly entered the portal as a "do not contact." Could be nothing, but supposedly a bunch of UConn players and coaches almost immediately started following her on InstaTokX or whatever those social media sites are that I know nothing about, getting the UConn heartland all a-fibrillated.
ciel

PostPosted: 04/12/24 6:03 pm    ::: Paurová marks eighth player to enter portal for Oregon St. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/paurov-marks-eighth-player-to-enter-portal-for-oregon-state-womens-basketball/article_e10812dc-f91a-11ee-b868-9fd9e6769b7e.html

Quote:
According to sources within the program, Paurová is expected to be the last player to transfer. She marks eight total players to have exited the program, alongside Talia von Oelhoffen, Adlee Blacklock, Lily Hansford, Martha Pietsch, Timea Gardiner, Raegan Beers and Donovyn Hunter.

Guards AJ Marotte and Kennedie Shuler and forwards Sela Heide, Kelsey Rees and Suzana Yepes are the only players from the 2023-24 Elite Eight squad to have not exited the program.

--
ciel

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/12/24 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford’s Kiki Iriafen has entered the portal with a ‘do not contact’.

Last edited by scullyfu on 04/12/24 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/12/24 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
I can’t find anything on line yet, but I read on another board that Stanford’s Kiki Iriafen has entered the portal with a ‘do not contact’. Confirm or deny?

Iriafen is officially in the portal.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/12/24 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
I can’t find anything on line yet, but I read on another board that Stanford’s Kiki Iriafen has entered the portal with a ‘do not contact’. Confirm or deny?

Iriafen is officially in the portal.

Thanks. I’d just found the article & edited my post.

To me, along with Phelia at Michigan,, is a Wow!

PostPosted: 04/13/24 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are witnessing the after shocks from the tectonic shift that was created by the death of the Pac-12.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
We are witnessing the after shocks from the tectonic shift that was created by the death of the Pac-12.

Pac12 WBB deserves better than this. I hate whats happening to these programs.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/13/24 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Pac12 WBB deserves better than this. I hate what�s happening to these programs.

Kiki, I get....Tara's out, new conference with not-so-many terrific players around her, that's not hard to comprehend.

The Oregon State defections make so little sense, after their remarkable season with everyone (otherwise) returning. And Scotty is a player's coach - it's not on him. I kinda wish he'd take one of the better coach's openings that might be available.

PostPosted: 04/13/24 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoping that "coast to coast" athletic conferences crumble and we get back to regional ones. But if it is like businesses elsewhere, at some point these mega conferences will actually get bigger by mergers.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 04/13/24 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
The Oregon State defections make so little sense, after their remarkable season with everyone (otherwise) returning. And Scotty is a player's coach - it's not on him. I kinda wish he'd take one of the better coach's openings that might be available.

The vibe I'm getting from players, and what little they have said or insinuated, is they want to play a P5 schedule and have a chance to compete at high levels. They didn't sign up for the Mountain West schedule that realignment has dealt Oregon State.

I foresee a huge push by the remaining PAC 2 to get into the Big 12(I would welcome them with open arms), and if it fails, I figure Rueck will be coaching at another P5 school.

PostPosted: 04/14/24 5:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

This isn’t directed at you Howee, just using your quote as a jumping off point. Oregon State is simply in a no win situation, unless they have a who’s who of the top 25 in their non-conference schedule which it doesn’t seem like they will, it’s going to be very difficult for them to get an at large bid to the NCAA Tournament, the WCC isn’t know for getting multiple teams in the tournament through in conference play the same way the PAC-12 was. And these players want to chance for a national title and they are making the smart decision for themselves. If it was about Scott or the staff or the university they would have left after last season when it didn’t go as expected. I’m tired of watching the videos and reading the post on social media about “what’s going on at Oregon State” “there much be an issue with Scott or the staff” and it’s completely unfair to the players, team, staff and university when they can’t do much about the PAC-12 breaking up and they are trying to make the best of the rest of their college careers. But all people see is 8 players in the portal and don’t understand the NCAA tournament isn’t a guarantee for them next year. This season they lost in the semifinals of the PAC-12 tournament and still got a 3 seed, next year they lose in the Semifinals of the WCC tournament and that could be the last game of their season or maybe get a bid to the WBIT or WNIT.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/24 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Zaay Green, who's bounced all over the south (Tennessee, where she ran into disciplinary problems--->Texas A&M--->Arkansas-Pine Bluff) has decided to play her grad year at Alabama.

Florida State transfer Sakyia White (6'1 Jr F, Tuscaloosa Al) has landed at UL-Monroe

Michigan State transfer Dee Dee Hageman (5'7 Jr PG, Detroit, MI) announced her commitment to Ole Miss

Florida transfer Alberte Rimdal (5'9 Jr G, Køge, Denmark) lands at Nebraska

OK State transfer Hannah Gusters (6'4 Jr C, Dallas, TX) announces her 4th stop will be UCF She started at Baylor, then switched to LSU, then OK State before this,

PostPosted: 04/14/24 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
(Tennessee, where she ran into disciplinary problems--->Texas A&M--->Arkansas-Pine Bluff) has decided to play her grad year at Alabama.

her 4th stop will be UCF She started at Baylor, then switched to LSU, then OK State before this,

This has got to stop. If the NCAA can't stop it, the coaches need to stop bringing in these 2 and 3x transfers.

I understand one transfer. Things don't always work out. After that, I don't care if your coach left or your conference fell apart. That's life. Find a better way to deal with it or take a year off to find a better way.

Start running away now, you'll always be running.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/14/24 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grad transfer years are about to be over. That will slow things down quite a bit. This coming year is the last of them for most players unless they miss a year with injury. The rest oof it, I suspect, will settle down to a max of three. Don't get your shorts in such a twist.

PostPosted: 04/15/24 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When they restrict the movement of coaches and ADs -- and professors and accountants -- then they can restrict the movement of students.

PostPosted: 04/15/24 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
When they restrict the movement of coaches and ADs -- and professors and accountants -- then they can restrict the movement of students.

Coaches and ADs typically have employment contracts of medium term lengths such as five years. Some coaches like Mulkey have a 10 year contract. Calipari at Kentucky had a lifetime contract. Employment contracts with buyout clauses restrict movement. For another school to poach these professionals they typically have to agree to buy out the remainder of the departed school's contract in addition whatever compensation they are paying the coach/AD going forward.

I suppose other highly valued professionals in academia, as in business, could have long term employment contracts, too.

The same type of long-term, restrictive contracts bind schools that join a conference and later try to leave.

This would seem to be a logical future step for student-athletes. If you want our scholarship and NIL and other goodies, you sign a four year contract with our school with a big buyout clause. Then, if you want to transfer, the transfer-to school has to buy out your contract as well as offer their own scholarship, NIL and other goodies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: