RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why does Dawn Staley get a pass
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/08/24 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
I'm not loving RebKell's new MAGA vibe.

I'm not loving Rebkell's new MICHAEL vibe.

_____X

I miss the good ole moderated days to keep folks in line....

You mean like people getting put in timeout for direct personal attacks such as the STB post you quoted? I miss that too.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for the posts a certain person whosse handle begins with M has made.....

But these are discussion that need to start somewhere. Would you rather be the one involved or would you rather it be the politicians that decide??

***EDIT***

Sorry, I just realized that this is the Dawn thread and not the trans thread. I was actually thinking about the trans discussion when I posted the above comment.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/24 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
I'm not loving RebKell's new MAGA vibe.

I'm not loving Rebkell's new MICHAEL vibe.

_____X

I miss the good ole moderated days to keep folks in line....

You mean like people getting put in timeout for direct personal attacks such as the STB post you quoted? I miss that too.

What ? Do you have a problem queenie ? STB quote wth are you talking about ?

PostPosted: 01/13/24 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Grace".

To me, that's the ability to see another person's POV, comprehend their background/circumstances, and evaluate (judge?) their actions accordingly.

Grace is in short supply here, it seems.

For example, Michael: have you ever experienced 2 key things that Dawn has?

1. She grew up/came of age in Not Nice Parts of Philadelphia. I KNOW that town where she grew up. I don't even wanna drive through it, never mind live there. The adversity she overcame is significant.

2. She has earned genuine fame and fortune through her efforts and skills. Like Geno. Like Pat. Like Tara. Like Kim.

If you can comprehend those 2 factors, then you can more easily understand how/why she feels entitled or even obligated to speak out, now that she has the platform she does.

All that said, I agree with the idea that she can be prone to speak out too much about things that aren't in her lane - she should more carefully weigh what she says, and think of how it will sound to the public. And I agree - there was no compelling need for her to comment on that particular call. How many other coaches did? Shocked
This kind of thing has the power to diminish her star, that she's righteously earned. I hope she'll figure that out....she's young (to me, at least)

One thing Michael has VERY right about people here on Rebs: If Kim Mulkey had authored that tweet, she'd have been tarred, feathered AND crucified here. What exactly IS the difference in attitude toward these 2 coaches, in your individual minds? Think that through, 'n get back to me. Cool

PostPosted: 01/14/24 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
One thing Michael has VERY right about people here on Rebs: If Kim Mulkey had authored that tweet, she'd have been tarred, feathered AND crucified here. What exactly IS the difference in attitude toward these 2 coaches, in your individual minds? Think that through, 'n get back to me. Cool

Speaking only for myself: I wouldn't have "crucified" Mulkey (or any other coach) for that tweet, because I honestly don't care one way or the other. But as to your broader question, I can say that I find that Kim Mulkey's sideline antics to be, historically, above and beyond any other noteworthy WBB coach who comes to mind. Also, Brittney Griner's account of Mulkey urging her to stay closeted while at Baylor certainly left a bad taste in my mouth vis a vis Mulkey.

So-- again, speaking only for myself-- those are a couple of reasons why I find myself feeling less charitably-inclined toward Kim Mulkey than toward Dawn Staley or most any other noteworthy WBB coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/14/24 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Either coach would have had a right to say anything about the refs in that game, especially since the coaches involved are not allowed to. Michael just has a hate on for Dawn is all. That's his problem. Some of us don't like Kim. But I wouldn't have said anything nasty about either one of them if they'd authored that tweet, because the refs had it coming.

One thing though. If y'all think those refs were bad, step down a notch to the mids and see the refs there. We get the dregs, the ones y'all in the P5 conferences don't get, and let me tell you, we get some real lulus down here! I watch mainly Sun Belt now since JMU moved up from the CAA. I hoped we'd get better refs, but no, same old same old.

PostPosted: 01/19/24 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn does/says some things I haven't agreed with (both examples as you noted, the BYU incident and taking a not so subtle dig at Clark/Iowa), but by and large she has done SO much good for the game, so she gets a pass in my book. The fact that she's authetically herself 100% of the time, is a players coach, develops her kids on and off the court and has helped grow the game leaps and bounds outweighs small incidents like this.

Mulkey has more of a checkered past in regards to her statements and actions. She's made her share of enemies with how she's handled all things Brittney Griner, Covid comments, Baylor's sexual assault comments, etc. I don't think she's all evil like many do and I think she's unfairly criticized by many in the WCBB community (especially this season), but ultimately she's ruffled many feathers and people look for negatives. So when she does something they disagree with, she gets heavily criticized for it. When Dawn does something they disagree with, she usually gets a free pass due to all of the positives she's contributed to the game. Just my 2 cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: