RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Man admits racial harassment of Utah NCAA WBB Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/07/24 4:19 pm    ::: Man admits racial harassment of Utah NCAA WBB Team Reply Reply with quote

Prosecutors in Idaho say they won't bring charges against a man who was accused of shouting a racial slur at players on the University of Utah women's basketball team.

The incident outside the team's hotel during the NCAA women's basketball tournament in March drew national headlines as it also occurred in a region long associated with white supremacist groups.

The harassment first surfaced during a tournament press conference where University of Utah Women's Head Coach Lynne Rogers said men in pickups revving their engines shouted the N-word at her players outside a team dinner where they were staying in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho - about a thirty minute drive from Spokane, Washington where the team played Gonzaga in the tournament.

Members of the team told police that someone in a truck displaying a confederate flag yelled racial slurs as they and staff walked to dinner. They said that truck and a second were waiting as the team returned from dinner and followed them back to their hotel.

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/07/1249735486/man-admits-racial-harassment-of-utah-womens-ncaa-basketball-team

PostPosted: 05/07/24 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sickening

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/08/24 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the most sickening part of it is that he's not being charged at all---for anything!

PostPosted: 05/08/24 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think the most sickening part of it is that he's not being charged at all---for anything!

Agreed. I keep thinking -- isn't lying to the police a misdemeanor, or something? Where he tries to take back what he earlier had said he did/said and tries to say it was now someone else in the car. What about a misdemeanor for lying to the police.

At least I can boycott going there.

The original witness report said multiple cars/trucks involved, both before they went into the restaurant and also after they came out. But there was just one that was caught on audio, and no video could be found that could prove anything.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/09/24 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

According to the police report after a month-long investigation (with FBI assistance), which was based on 100 witness contacts, two dozen witness interviews and hours of video and audio analysis, there was no evidence of revving engines or threats by vehicles, and insufficient evidence of any use of the N-word other than once by an 18-year-old high school student (Myers), who used it in a sexual comment with the stated intent of trying to be funny.

If one reads the prosecutor's analysis, he analyzes this evidence under three potential state criminal statues and finds insufficient evidence that any were violated. More importantly, he concluded that prosecution under any of the statutes would "clearly violate Mr. Myers’s free speech rights as contemplated under both the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and Art. I, sec. 9 of the Idaho Constitution."

I mention all this because I perceive a lack of basic understanding of the Constitutional free speech protection in America among today's citizenry. In America it is not illegal to utter hate speech or offensive and hurtful insults—because everyone has a Constitutional free speech right to do so, except in very narrow circumstances mostly relating to cases that include an imminent threat of violence or defamation.

It used to be that uttering vile, offensive and hurtful language, and what is now called hate speech, was considered to be impolite, rude or downright uncivilized. No longer. Not in the pathetically polarized 21st century, when everyone who has a different point of view is Satan. Just look at how rampant such insulting and hate-spewing speech is on college campuses, on social media, and in ad hominem attacks on internet discussion boards.
Howee

PostPosted: 05/09/24 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It used to be that uttering vile, offensive and hurtful language, and what is now called hate speech, was considered to be impolite, rude or downright uncivilized. No longer. Not in the pathetically polarized 21st century, when everyone who has a different point of view is Satan. Just look at how rampant such insulting and hate-spewing speech is on college campuses, on social media, and in ad hominem attacks on internet discussion boards.

The sad, unfortunate truth indeed.

I know there are probably too many layers to name here, but HOW and WHY has our *enlightened/advanced/etc.* society devolved into this base level of social interfacing? Yes, it's always been around, but the intensity and commonality of it all is sickening. Even so many of the newest television series drop f-bombs like it's nothing. Beyond sad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: