RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon sued for Title IX violations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/23 6:30 pm    ::: Oregon sued for Title IX violations Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/02/university-of-oregon-female-athletes-title-ix-violations

Quote:
The lawsuit filed in US district court in Eugene, Oregon, seeks correction of the alleged violations and unspecified damages.

PostPosted: 12/05/23 7:27 pm    ::: Re: Oregon sued for Title IX violations Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/dec/02/university-of-oregon-female-athletes-title-ix-violations

Quote:
The lawsuit filed in US district court in Eugene, Oregon, seeks correction of the alleged violations and unspecified damages.

If we start trying to make every sport get treated like football, there will be no college sports in less than a decade. Football provides most of the revenue for D1 schools and yes, the way they get treated is excessive, but its the market rate atm. Since the school has virtually no control over NIL deals, that is a non-starter for this lawsuit IMO. Next we are going to have coaches suing to get paid like football and that will absolutely wreck 95% of athletic departments. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics.

PostPosted: 12/06/23 7:23 am    ::: Re: Oregon sued for Title IX violations Reply Reply with quote

If we start trying to make every sport get treated like football, there will be no college sports in less than a decade. Football provides most of the revenue for D1 schools and yes, the way they get treated is excessive, but its the market rate atm. Since the school has virtually no control over NIL deals, that is a non-starter for this lawsuit IMO. Next we are going to have coaches suing to get paid like football and that will absolutely wreck 95% of athletic departments. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics.[/quote]

If this is the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics, I think there are a lot of other places to look for causes before looking at Title IX. Also, as it has been enforced, it hasn't meant (and I don't think will mean) equal salaries. One of the issues in the lawsuit is that the beach volleyball team currently has no practice or competition facility and play at a public park. Seems to me the university could add stands for spectators--even if they're portable/temporary--and make some other basic improvements.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/06/23 11:26 am    ::: Re: Oregon sued for Title IX violations Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Michael wrote:
If we start trying to make every sport get treated like football, there will be no college sports in less than a decade. Football provides most of the revenue for D1 schools and yes, the way they get treated is excessive, but its the market rate atm. Since the school has virtually no control over NIL deals, that is a non-starter for this lawsuit IMO. Next we are going to have coaches suing to get paid like football and that will absolutely wreck 95% of athletic departments. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics.

If this is the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics, I think there are a lot of other places to look for causes before looking at Title IX. Also, as it has been enforced, it hasn't meant (and I don't think will mean) equal salaries. One of the issues in the lawsuit is that the beach volleyball team currently has no practice or competition facility and play at a public park. Seems to me the university could add stands for spectators--even if they're portable/temporary--and make some other basic improvements.

Kinda hard to fathom with Oregon's chief benefactor being the Nike Guy, who has lavished unparalleled monies on their football and other men's sports, annd if he should take a position that he doesn't give a shit about women's college sports, will substantially and negatively impact his company, who wants to lead the way in providing sports apparel for consumer women athletics.

Is the fact that they practice at public facilities because other school-maintained facilities are undergoing renovations, or are being built currently? One example to question I can use, was the football practice facilities for South Carolina's football team. For years - decades even - they practiced at not publicly, but privately-owned property that the University did NOT own, and paid a annual rent for use. I think the property was owned by the local National Guard, which may not be privately-owned but governmantally-owned???? Don't know the specifics of that, but anyway, USC didn't own it and paid a rental fee for its use.

They did this for decades because one local land that was privately owned were owned by others who refused to sell to USC, and two the use of the land became sort of a tradition that fans were comfortable with, and would attend to watch practices and scrimmages.

Eventually, referred to stand-offs with local property came to an end, South Carolina purchased many acres of surrounding land around the FB stadium, built their own University-maintained practice facilities (outdoor AND indoor) via donations, and now we don't use the former property anymore which I don't know is being used for ANYTHING now. So the reason I brought up this example is, has the use of the public facility for Oregon's volleyball team become some sort of fan tradition, which is why they keep using it????

Michael

PostPosted: 12/06/23 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the article it sounds like practice facilities are planned but have never been built for a new niche sport that hasn't been around for a decade yet, but close to a decade.

I do not understand the rowers legal argument at all. Oregon doesn't field an NCAA rowing team for women, so its a club sport, same with MANY schools. But they are suing trying to force OU to make it an official NCAA sport just because that is what they feel they DESERVE???? Welcome to the age of entitlement.

PostPosted: 12/06/23 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you would like to read the actual complaint, it is available here:

https://www.baileyglasser.com/media/news/15171_University%20of%20Oregon%20Title%20IX%20Complaint.pdf

PostPosted: 12/06/23 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
From the article it sounds like practice facilities are planned but have never been built for a new niche sport that hasn't been around for a decade yet, but close to a decade.

It still begs the question, being even more prevalent for beach volleyball rather than indoor volleyball. Beach volleyball I would assume requires fewer resources than indoor volleyball which of course requires an actual indoor structure. Beach volleyball - while not truly requiring a beach, which is rather cost prohibitive especially if an ocean comes bundled - still requires land to place the outdoor courts on, and little else. Perhaps a scoreboard and portable bleachers???

South Carolina has a Beach Volleyball program, and in its initial season had facilities established for it on-campus now called Wheeler Beach:

https://gamecocksonline.com/facilities/wheeler-beach/

"Wheeler Beach opened for the beach volleyball program’s inaugural season in 2014. It is located between Carolina Softball Stadium and Carolina Tennis Center. The complex is the first collegiate beach volleyball facility of its kind and the first-ever in the SEC. It features five courts with lights and electronic scoreboards on each court, the first collegiate beach volleyball facility to have this feature.

At the end of the complex is a master scoreboard that keeps fans informed with the latest scores on each of the five courts and the overall dual. It’s the first electronic scoreboard specifically for beach volleyball in the world. Palmetto trees have been placed throughout the facility, and fans can bring lawn chairs and blankets to sit on the turf and enjoy the matches. The facility also features a sound system that has music playing throughout the duals."

With Oregon having such donor resources such as the Nike Guy, and being in the PAC-12 (for a while still) which is the conference mecca for outdoor volleyball, and being on the west coast which is the birthplace for outdoor beach volleyball (either in Hawaii or on some nudist colony, can't recall), it is strange that Oregon or ANY west coast school would be behind the times with the sport......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: