RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/29/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

according to whoever did the youtube, Mulkey wants Angel to be a post up five. Angel isn't a post up five and never will be. It's hard to believe Mulkey suddenly wants her to be that. Last year they had a true five which allowed Angel to float. Williams wasn't great but she did hold down the middle, especially on defense. This year they don't seem to have that. The youtube makes it into a battle of wills. It's hard for me to believe that's all there is to it. But if so, I wouldn't bet against Mulkey.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/23 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I dont agree with Mulkey actions during this time but i also dont agree with ESPN blasting her all over the front page as if she's the only college coach that uses this same rhetoric cough cough Geno is in the same boat and they wouldn't dare post this type of article on their front page about him...wow ESPN this is an all time low wow.

https://andscape.com/features/lsu-coach-kim-mulkey-and-a-history-of-callousness/
Quote:

“I’m going to protect my players — always. They are like a family,” Mulkey said. “Those kids are like my children and I’m not going to tell you what you don’t need to know, and that’s just the way I address things.”
Quote:

Quote:
Silence as consent was Mulkey’s code then, and it was also her mode of operation during Griner’s imprisonment in Russia. The coach’s refusal to speak up was heavily criticized including being called “cruel and evil” by women’s soccer icon Megan Rapinoe.

Quote:
After LSU’s win over Southeastern Louisiana on Nov. 17, a noticeably sick Mulkey put her COVID politics on full display:

“I ain’t a sissy. I don’t have allergies,” Mulkey said. “I’ve got some kind of cold. It might be COVID, but I ain’t testing. It’s sinuses. I don’t know what you call it — allergies, flu, I don’t know. So, if y’all get the flu, blame me during Thanksgiving.”

There hasn’t been such a deliberate disregard of COVID protocols since Rudy Gobert was a member of the Utah Jazz. It’s a disconcerting level of privilege to think that COVID testing is beneath her, but this is a part of the Mulkey ethos. From the players to the professional journalists – how did Nicki Minaj put one of the refrains of “Did It On ‘Em”?

That’s right. “All these b—— is my sons.” Wait, let me clean that up. “Those kids are like my children.”

I agree that the story was written because it was a female, when there are so many male coaches overtly cruel such as Bob Knight. As a non admirer of Kimmie, it is satisfying to see the story, though. I hope her team kr@ps the pot this season.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/29/23 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
I dont agree with Mulkey actions during this time but i also dont agree with ESPN blasting her all over the front page as if she's the only college coach that uses this same rhetoric cough cough Geno is in the same boat and they wouldn't dare post this type of article on their front page about him...wow ESPN this is an all time low wow.

https://andscape.com/features/lsu-coach-kim-mulkey-and-a-history-of-callousness/

A couple of genuine questions:
1) Is Andscape owned by or otherwise affiliated with ESPN? Says that the author is a freelance writer and hosts a podcast, if that matters. I do see the article is perhaps the eighth story down on the ESPN main page right now.
2) What coaches, Geno or otherwise, have acted in ways that you consider on par with Mulkey, and what did they do or say to make it on par in your eyes?

Nobody has handled anything as badly as Kimmie, as far as I'm concerned. She's just bungled this thing all to hell. She needs to restrict her players' use of Xitter and not go there herself. What the parents say should be ignored too, the way the Tennessee coaches have historically done. I said in the beginning that she would have a hard time with this mess of egos and I stand by what I said.

PostPosted: 11/29/23 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Press reports say the beloved Bayou Barbie will be back for the VaTech game on Thursday, but that Poole is still not with the team.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/30/23 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Press reports say the beloved Bayou Barbie will be back for the VaTech game on Thursday, but that Poole is still not with the team.

And that Smith is lost for the season with multiple knee ligament tears. Smith started 6 of the team's 7 games thus far, and gave the team a post presence at the 5. Which shines some light on Myrtle's comments above about Mulkey wanting Reese to play more 5. IF Reese plays the 5, it gives LSU a better chance to have both Reese and Morrow on the floor, while earlier Morrow came in off the bench. Neither Del Rosario nor Bartlett are able to be depended on for a full game right now....

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/30/23 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Smith started 6 of the team's 7 games thus far, and gave the team a post presence at the 5. Which shines some light on Myrtle's comments above about Mulkey wanting Reese to play more 5. IF Reese plays the 5, it gives LSU a better chance to have both Reese and Morrow on the floor, while earlier Morrow came in off the bench. Neither Del Rosario nor Bartlett are able to be depended on for a full game right now....

If Smith was already starting and giving LSU a post presence at the 5, why would Mulkey want or need Reese doing that, too? With Smith’s injury, there’s of course a greater need, but it seems like positional quarrels shouldn’t have been a major issue weeks ago if Smith already had the 5 secured.

This also begs the question of Mulkey bringing in Morrow in the first place. Did she envision playing Morrow at the 4 and Reese at the 5? Would seem odd after Reese played predominantly (exclusively?) the 4 last year (we also see this issue at UConn with Edwards, but Geno seems allergic to post players in a way that Mulkey is not). Did she envision playing Morrow at the 3 and Reese at the 4? Certainly makes sense to secure as much talent as you can, but Mulkey also created these positional problems (if they are viewed that way by the team) for herself.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/30/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So convenient that whatever the issue was it somehow was magically better just in time for LSU to play their only other decent OOC opponent.

What a fascinating coincidence Rolling Eyes

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/30/23 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
This also begs the question of Mulkey bringing in Morrow in the first place. Did she envision playing Morrow at the 4 and Reese at the 5? Would seem odd after Reese played predominantly (exclusively?) the 4 last year (we also see this issue at UConn with Edwards, but Geno seems allergic to post players in a way that Mulkey is not). Did she envision playing Morrow at the 3 and Reese at the 4? Certainly makes sense to secure as much talent as you can, but Mulkey also created these positional problems (if they are viewed that way by the team) for herself.

Given that they list Morrow as a guard and one of her favorite bad habits at DePaul was jacking threes like she thought she was a long lost Quigley sister, Mulkey might have brought her in as a fuckin' 2 for all we know.

PostPosted: 11/30/23 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey: To protect the privacy of players, the "sacredness of the locker room" is more important than revealing the true facts to the press because the press would inevitably distort and sensationalize the true facts.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qo1bT0JqZ6E" title="Kim Mulkey scolds reporter for questioning Angel Reese's 4-game absence | SC with SVP" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
greatgator

PostPosted: 11/30/23 2:48 pm    ::: LSU Kim Mulkey CLASHES w Media After BEGGING for Media Attn Reply Reply with quote

Here's a different take on Mulkey.
https://youtu.be/msIFPd9-Ers?si=YMYe-aZ4A16IbYLP

pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/23 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey is certainly correct that revealing the truth would do nothing to curb speculation or stop false stories from spreading.

PostPosted: 11/30/23 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Smith started 6 of the team's 7 games thus far, and gave the team a post presence at the 5. Which shines some light on Myrtle's comments above about Mulkey wanting Reese to play more 5. IF Reese plays the 5, it gives LSU a better chance to have both Reese and Morrow on the floor, while earlier Morrow came in off the bench. Neither Del Rosario nor Bartlett are able to be depended on for a full game right now....

If Smith was already starting and giving LSU a post presence at the 5, why would Mulkey want or need Reese doing that, too? With Smith’s injury, there’s of course a greater need, but it seems like positional quarrels shouldn’t have been a major issue weeks ago if Smith already had the 5 secured.

Smith is only 6'2" - albeit with hops. That's not really big enough to play the five against most P5 teams.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/30/23 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
So convenient that whatever the issue was it somehow was magically better just in time for LSU to play their only other decent OOC opponent.

What a fascinating coincidence Rolling Eyes

Bingo. Checkmate. Bazinga. How tough of Kim to take on Texas Southern and Niagara without one of her best players. Must have required a really strong coaching job.

Queenie wrote:
Given that they list Morrow as a guard and one of her favorite bad habits at DePaul was jacking threes like she thought she was a long lost Quigley sister, Mulkey might have brought her in as a fuckin' 2 for all we know.

Not the long lost Quigley sister!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

myrtle wrote:
Smith is only 6'2" - albeit with hops. That's not really big enough to play the five against most P5 teams.

Does Reese's extra inch of height make that much of a difference in wanting her to play the 5? Confused

pilight wrote:
Mulkey is certainly correct that revealing the truth would do nothing to curb speculation or stop false stories from spreading.

I think it is very unlikely we would have had several articles written that appeared in ESPN's Top Headlines had Mulkey just given a basic explanation.

singinerd54 wrote:
But in what way(s) is this protecting Angel? The speculation and rumors are running amuck. Huge-personality Angel is basically begging people to not judge her (i.e., "please don’t believe everything you read"). This would be a non-story (or at least not an ongoing one) if Kim said "Angel will miss 3 games for violation of team rules" or "Angel will miss some time for violation of team rules and we will reassess in 2 weeks."

I still haven't come across any information or ideas that answers this question that I raised on a previous page.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/23 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:

myrtle wrote:

Does Reese's extra inch of height make that much of a difference in wanting her to play the 5? Confused

that was my whole point. Angel is not a five! and they don't appear to have a player who can in fact be a starting five.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/30/23 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, the fact that Reese and Poole have not revealed the truth about what's been going on gives some credibility to Mulkey's claim that she is concerned about preserving "the sacred locker room" privacy of her players, and that revealing the truth may be more harmful in the press than letting the press speculate.

If Reese and Poole were genuinely concerned about the press and fan speculation, they simply could give interviews and fess up. It's reasonable to believe that THEY don't want to do that, and that THEY don't want Mulkey to do so either.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/30/23 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

myrtle wrote:

that was my whole point. Angel is not a five! and they don't appear to have a player who can in fact be a starting five.

They have Del Rosario, who is a 6’6 freshman. She might not be prominent enough to be a starter on this squad.

Reese may not like to be a 5. It’s not glamorous work down there. I believe the reason she left Maryland was the same reason Shakira Austin left Maryland, she didn’t want to get stuck down low. Ironically, Austin is still stuck down low as a professional. I guess height can put you in a box since height like that is rare.

But I’m sure Reese realizes she doesn’t have much choice. Gotta do it for the team. She plays defensive 5 anyway. Morrow has shown to be terrible from three, so she’s not a proper SF. She needs to get better from three if she wants to be a pro.

If there has to be a 5 position in your mind, then you’re a staunch believer in positional basketball. Why can’t there be co-4’s, specially when the 4 is your strongest position? Would it be better to have Morrow coming off the bench so that a “true 5” can play? That’s nonsense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/30/23 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

What a fascinating coincidence :roll:

Beat me to it: in addition to everything else she is, Kim Mulkey doesn't stand on bidness.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/01/23 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

If there has to be a 5 position in your mind, then you’re a staunch believer in positional basketball. Why can’t there be co-4’s, specially when the 4 is your strongest position? Would it be better to have Morrow coming off the bench so that a “true 5” can play? That’s nonsense.

2 4's works great against many teams. In fact there are teams doing quite ok with one post and four out. But it depends a lot on your opponent. To me, having Angel grind it out on defense in the post wastes her talent and puts her in danger of foul trouble - also depending on how the refs call it. She could easily have fouled out in yesterday's game if they had called some of her 'action' down there. And she won't be a five at the next level so she does need to develop some kind of outside game, so sticking her down there 'for the team' is shortsighted at best.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/01/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
... And she won't be a five at the next level so she does need to develop some kind of outside game, so sticking her down there 'for the team' is shortsighted at best.

Well to fair to Kim Mulkey (ugh... I feel like I need to wash my hands just for typing that), it's not her job to care how good/whether her players can compete at the next level. The best coaches do, just like the best coaches continue to mentor their players after they leave school, but Mulkey's job is to win NCAA basketball games, not to prepare her players for the WNBA.

If Mulkey stops caring about her players once they can no longer do anything for her, well, that's hardly any different from 90 percent of college basketball fans. And if Mulkey's system is not conducive to Angel Reese becoming the best version of herself, that's technically not Mulkey's problem, as long as she continues to win games. That's an odious way to look at things IMO (which is fitting, since I find Mulkey to be an odious person), but if my time on this rock has taught me anything, it's that odious people "win"/get away with being odious all the time.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/01/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, if you can help a player become more versatile and a better W prospect, shouldn't that also help your team win games?

PostPosted: 12/01/23 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It certainly should, in theory. My gut gives me the sense that some of the more productive players to be drafted in the last few years haven't necessarily been an accurate reflection of how they were used in college, but someone who is more dialed into CBB feel free to correct me.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 12/01/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
... And she won't be a five at the next level so she does need to develop some kind of outside game, so sticking her down there 'for the team' is shortsighted at best.

Well to fair to Kim Mulkey (ugh... I feel like I need to wash my hands just for typing that), it's not her job to care how good/whether her players can compete at the next level. The best coaches do, just like the best coaches continue to mentor their players after they leave school, but Mulkey's job is to win NCAA basketball games, not to prepare her players for the WNBA.

If Mulkey stops caring about her players once they can no longer do anything for her, well, that's hardly any different from 90 percent of college basketball fans. And if Mulkey's system is not conducive to Angel Reese becoming the best version of herself, that's technically not Mulkey's problem, as long as she continues to win games. That's an odious way to look at things IMO (which is fitting, since I find Mulkey to be an odious person), but if my time on this rock has taught me anything, it's that odious people "win"/get away with being odious all the time.

I have heard several college coaches make the statement that it's not their job to prepare their players to play in the WNBA or any pro leagues. College coaches get paid to win college basketball games. If they don't win then it will be unemployment time.

PostPosted: 12/01/23 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I have heard several college coaches make the statement that it's not their job to prepare their players to play in the WNBA or any pro leagues. College coaches get paid to win college basketball games. If they don't win then it will be unemployment time.

PostPosted: 12/01/23 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

OTOH, if a coach isn't preparing players for the pros they will have a hard time recruiting pro level talent. That doesn't matter much if you're coaching in the Big Sky, but it's a significant disadvantage in the SEC.

PostPosted: 12/02/23 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's come down to, "I really don't care, do U?" I'm already sick of the whole thing, sick of Kimmie and sick of Reese and sick of LS*pew*. I will root for them to lose every single time I can. That is all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: