RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: 11/17/23 10:05 pm    ::: So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down? Reply Reply with quote

There was a lot of speculation that LSU had too many "big" personalities including their coach. I think Kim is reminding the team of who is in charge and that no one is bigger than the team. I hope Reese gets her mind right, but I have no doubt she will sit until Kim thinks she is ready to play the game on Mulkey's terms.

PostPosted: 11/17/23 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The LSU drama is extremely popcorn worthy on multiple levels, and I wish all parties involved a very "as ye sow so shall ye reap, motherfuckers"

PostPosted: 11/17/23 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad grades

PostPosted: 11/17/23 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bad grades

So what was up with the benching on Tuesday for the second half?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
willtalk

PostPosted: 11/18/23 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reese seemed like a Prima Donna via her actions last year. Good for Mulkey takng her down a notch. It appears that Reese might ba a player that is more trouble than she is worth.

PostPosted: 11/18/23 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After getting Williams, Van Lith and Morrow - I knew this would happen.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/18/23 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Reese seemed like a Prima Donna via her actions last year. Good for Mulkey takng her down a notch. It appears that Reese might ba a player that is more trouble than she is worth.

Reese transferred from Maryland in 22 along with Owusu and 2 others, last year Coach said in 21-22 the locker room was more about me where in 22-23 it was more about we (paraphrasing). After seeing both of those players antics I'd say they may have been the culprits, but idk for sure.

PostPosted: 11/18/23 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Bad grades

I trust you are being sarcastic, as it seems unliley that grade reports came out at halftime.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/19/23 12:12 am    ::: Re: So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down? Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
There was a lot of speculation that LSU had too many "big" personalities including their coach. I think Kim is reminding the team of who is in charge and that no one is bigger than the team...

willtalk wrote:
Reese seemed like a Prima Donna via her actions last year. Good for Mulkey takng her down a notch...

I just want to say this, and then I'll cede the last word to you CBB devotees: it's a lot easier to stand on principle when you're playing Queens College and Kent State and SE Louisiana.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 11/19/23 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bad grades

I trust you are being sarcastic, as it seems unliley that grade reports came out at halftime.

Of course I am joking. If it were academic it would happen at the end of a semester.

PostPosted: 11/19/23 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bad grades

Of course I am joking. If it were academic it would happen at the end of a semester.

Also, just being at the university, the amount of resources available to student athletes, that they don’t even have to seek out, makes it really hard for me to fathom how grades would really ever become an issue. Mandatory study halls, dedicated tutors, academic coaches who email professors to check up on the status of the athletes, etc.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/19/23 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courses? Grades?

College athletes are the bread and butter of college athletic programs. They bring in the gravy. Enjoying a super-employee status, they are are paid tens of thousand of dollars or more every year by the colleges; perhaps hundreds of thousands by companies and alums; have special meals and living quarters; fly on private jets; and transfer in, out and among schools with few obstacles in order to maximize their hedonism and income.

Why should these bread winners, these crucial income sources, these college athletes have to pass courses much less take them? It's unfair and discriminatory. Coaches don't have to take courses; no other athletic department employees have to take courses; no other parts of the gigantic academic bureaucracy, which is all wasted cost and non-income producing, have to take courses.

Courses, grades and anything else related to irrelevant classroom stuff should be abolished for college athletes, especially cultural goddesses such as Bayou Barbie.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/19/23 3:02 pm    ::: Re: So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down? Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
There was a lot of speculation that LSU had too many "big" personalities including their coach. I think Kim is reminding the team of who is in charge and that no one is bigger than the team. I hope Reese gets her mind right, but I have no doubt she will sit until Kim thinks she is ready to play the game on Mulkey's terms.

POPCORN!

Angel, instead of working on her game, has been living the high life, basking in her millions of NIL $$ and 15 minutes of fame. After seeing she wasn't going to get picked top 5 in the WNBA draft because she can't shoot outside 5 feet, she decided to improve her shot by shooting (& missing) in live games, which isn't helping her draft stock at all. By contrast, Kimmie has shooters and needs Angel to stick to the one thing she does well - rebounding and putbacks.

So, yes, it's the classic clash of egos between Angel and Kimmie. Angel thought she was too big to lose but is finding out otherwise. Who knew that she already hit her peak?

MORE POPCORN!

Yes, it's doubtful that her bad grades led to her getting benched at halftime. But seriously, what is LSU's minimum GPA to stay on the floor? We already know she was left off one top 5 player list last year due to having a GPA below 2.0. How many classes does Angel completely fail - which is hard to do with so much academic help available to P5 athletes?

Now, many of us thought it would be the players' egos combusting with each other. Who knew it would turn out to be an Angel vs Kimmie show? Pretty clear Angel needs to work on her game outside of gametime and follow the gameplan during games. There's really not much Angel can do to improve her draftstock at this point. She's got a dilemna: if she withdraws from school, she'll lose all the NIL $$ based on her being an LSU star. If she stays and conforms to what Kimmie wants her to do, she reached her WNBA draftstock ceiling and will continue to drop.

~rAf
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 11/19/23 10:28 pm    ::: Re: So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Yes, it's doubtful that her bad grades led to her getting benched at halftime. But seriously, what is LSU's minimum GPA to stay on the floor? We already know she was left off one top 5 player list last year due to having a GPA below 2.0. How many classes does Angel completely fail - which is hard to do with so much academic help available to P5 athletes.

It's a decent point! With all due respect to that august educational institution: to be an elite scholarship athlete who somehow falls below a 2.0 at LSU has gotta take some *real* doing. Like, you probably have to really try hard to push your GPA down below that mark in Baton Rouge. In a way, I kinda gotta tip my cap to Angel.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/20/23 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reese appears to have issues that go all the way back to high school. Frankly I just can not see the level of favoritism that is given athletes at any level. Frankly its just intertainment and if it did not exist it could easily be substituted by any other form of intertainment.

It is especially galling when kids with little life experience and have really done nothing feel their VOICES deserve privelidge. I remember being young and believing I knew more than i did. We can not expect more from kids, but adults should know better than to give them too much respect.

I was not that concerned with the trash talking last season, even though there is a difference between trash talk in games and trash talk after the game is over. What really lost me was Reeses disrespect to the First lady. I am no fan of the Bidens, but she stil is the first lady. Who does Reese think she is. She is nothing but a college kid who has accompished nothing but bouncing a basketball. If Mrs Biden was right or wrong was not the issue. It was not up to Miss Reese to respond the way she did.

PostPosted: 11/20/23 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Reese appears to have issues that go all the way back to high school. Frankly I just can not see the level of favoritism that is given athletes at any level. Frankly its just intertainment and if it did not exist it could easily be substituted by any other form of intertainment.

It is especially galling when kids with little life experience and have really done nothing feel their VOICES deserve privelidge. I remember being young and believing I knew more than i did. We can not expect more from kids, but adults should know better than to give them too much respect.

I was not that concerned with the trash talking last season, even though there is a difference between trash talk in games and trash talk after the game is over. What really lost me was Reeses disrespect to the First lady. I am no fan of the Bidens, but she stil is the first lady. Who does Reese think she is. She is nothing but a college kid who has accompished nothing but bouncing a basketball. If Mrs Biden was right or wrong was not the issue. It was not up to Miss Reese to respond the way she did.

But Angel is BIGGER than the First Lady - her ring and her Benz prove it.

Then Kimmie sat her down and all the air in that balloon fell to earth. Hard landing.

More popcorn please. Extra butter this time.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/20/23 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find Reese's on-court personality grating, but at this point I'm also starting to feel bad for her. She's at a point in her life where she's legally an adult but she still needs guidance and support, especially in the uncharted territory of NIL, and who are the primary examples in her life? Her mother, who's stirring shit on social media? Her coach, who's Kim Mulkey? Maybe her professors, except that if I recall correctly, she's taking her classes remotely. And if the rumors about her bad grades are true, either she's really not paying attention to them or she has some kind of learning disability (and that would mean no one picked up on it).

I hope this doesn't end badly for her, but I'm not sure how it doesn't.

PostPosted: 11/20/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I find Reese's on-court personality grating, but at this point I'm also starting to feel bad for her. She's at a point in her life where she's legally an adult but she still needs guidance and support, especially in the uncharted territory of NIL, and who are the primary examples in her life? Her mother, who's stirring shit on social media? Her coach, who's Kim Mulkey? Maybe her professors, except that if I recall correctly, she's taking her classes remotely. And if the rumors about her bad grades are true, either she's really not paying attention to them or she has some kind of learning disability (and that would mean no one picked up on it).

I hope this doesn't end badly for her, but I'm not sure how it doesn't.

For me her outlandish behaviors after the NC game and in the off season lead me wanting her to fall farther before I feel sorry for her. Angel and academics is like Diana and defense. Ain't happening. I'm wondering what happens to her NIL contracts when she's in the doghouse.

~rAf
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/20/23 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/sec/2023/11/20/angel-reese-benched-lsu/71655457007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 11/20/23 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:

Neither the First Lady nor any politician is above criticism. Say what you will about Reese but 1) Jill Biden should have known better and 2) nobody but nobody believes JB would have invited LSU had Iowa won the game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/20/23 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Neither the First Lady nor any politician is above criticism. Say what you will about Reese but 1) Jill Biden should have known better and 2) nobody but nobody believes JB would have invited LSU had Iowa won the game.

Nobody knows that.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 11/21/23 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Nobody knows that.

Yep. Nobody knows that. But we can be fairly certain that it is the case. The libs have their head up their asses about racism too. Maybe not as bad as the conservatives, but one barely has to scratch the surface of trying Toni sweat and it to see this falls right in line. Right down the white centering statement, “Nobody knows that.” Cuz no one wants to scratch the surface or have anyone else do it either. Staus quo here please cuz it suits us best.

But anyway, speaking of abhorrent beliefs, let me segue to the Abhorrent Mulkey. Every post on this feed blames Angel. No one has paused to give Mulkey credit. She is rude about her players all over the media. Shaming players to the media is classless. She is hateful toward BG and told her not to talk about her sexuality. She stood up for the misogyny of Baylor when rape allegations were goi g around. Seems to me she is being an entitled White old hag who doesn’t care about anything except winning championships. Hey, I like championships, too, but if you’re gonna coach then you should also have the best interests of your players in mind too.

And yes players are young and have a lot to learn, but their idealism is a breath of fresh air. I actually think this is the time for them to learn to use their voices. A lot of players have been through some serious shit, annd not o e of them have not worked more intensely than probably every single poster here. That makes them qualified to have somethig we can listen to rather than dismiss them because they don’t conform to the white narrative and therefore must be too young or ignorant. Id prefer to hear what they have to say over an old hag’s opinion who has been brain washed by Fox News.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/21/23 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
willtalk wrote:

Nobody knows that.

Yep. Nobody knows that. But we can be fairly certain that it is the case. The libs have their head up their asses about racism too. Maybe not as bad as the conservatives, but one barely has to scratch the surface of trying Toni sweat and it to see this falls right in line. Right down the white centering statement, “Nobody knows that.” Cuz no one wants to scratch the surface or have anyone else do it either. Staus quo here please cuz it suits us best.

But anyway, speaking of abhorrent beliefs, let me segue to the Abhorrent Mulkey. Every post on this feed blames Angel. No one has paused to give Mulkey credit. She is rude about her players all over the media. Shaming players to the media is classless. She is hateful toward BG and told her not to talk about her sexuality. She stood up for the misogyny of Baylor when rape allegations were goi g around. Seems to me she is being an entitled White old hag who doesn’t care about anything except winning championships. Hey, I like championships, too, but if you’re gonna coach then you should also have the best interests of your players in mind too.

And yes players are young and have a lot to learn, but their idealism is a breath of fresh air. I actually think this is the time for them to learn to use their voices. A lot of players have been through some serious shit, annd not o e of them have not worked more intensely than probably every single poster here. That makes them qualified to have somethig we can listen to rather than dismiss them because they don’t conform to the white narrative and therefore must be too young or ignorant. Id prefer to hear what they have to say over an old hag’s opinion who has been brain washed by Fox News.

See, this is the problem. Do you want to be judged by the standard of "fairly certain" or do you want to be judged by fact?

And it's from both sides of whatever the issue is. We don't judge by fact. We have set/allowed such a low standard as "fairly certain' to become the norm. It's sad.

Now back to the topic of the thread.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/21/23 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
But anyway, speaking of abhorrent beliefs, let me segue to the Abhorrent Mulkey. Every post on this feed blames Angel. No one has paused to give Mulkey credit...

Hey! I'm walkin' here!

Ex-Ref wrote:

See, this is the problem. Do you want to be judged by the standard of "fairly certain" or do you want to be judged by fact?

And it's from both sides of whatever the issue is. We don't judge by fact. We have set/allowed such a low standard as "fairly certain' to become the norm. It's sad.

Now back to the topic of the thread.

Indeed. Let's get back to the topic of the thread. Because for someone who professes that it's a "both sides" problem, you only appear to be concerned about one side being prejudged without the facts. No facts have been reported on why Angel Reese has been benched, but you don't seem to be caping for her, or giving her the benefit of the doubt. What's the difference?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
greatgator

PostPosted: 11/21/23 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how her NIL sponsors will react to the situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: