RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HOT SEAT 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/24 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I keep telling you, Kellie Harper isn't going anywhere. Considering the SEC, #3 isn't the worst place to be right now.

Warlick got 7 years and made 3 Elite Eights, 4 Sweet Sixteens, was a 2 time regular season conference champion, and 1 time conference tournament champion. She recruited well, but also dealt with injuries and roster chaos/deflections. Harper is on year 5 with no Elite Eights and no conference championship of any kind. While she will likely get 7 or 8 years(depending on how Tennessee wants to give lenience for COVID), if she doesn't make it to or advance past the Sweet 16 this year, I guarantee the seat warming process will begin, even if it takes a couple years to get hot without change.

I'd agree with all of this - but the *dynamic* has changed a lot, too. Holly had to deal with the transition from The Legend to The Aftermath. Tough. Kelly has had to pick up those pieces and try again to resurrect A Dynasty that is simply never going to return. I'd say TN admin just needs to lower their bar of expectations. 3rd in the SEC is NOT shabby by ANYONE'S standards (with the possible exception of the Late Great Pat)

It's probably a similar scenario at UConn....their recent seasons have been (truly) crappy to no one but UConn fans. Will their former glory days ever return? They have TN to view as roadmap....odds aren't lookin' good.

SC, UCLA, LSU, USC, maybe IA and OH St....the future is theirs for the forseeable future.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I keep telling you, Kellie Harper isn't going anywhere. Considering the SEC, #3 isn't the worst place to be right now.

Warlick got 7 years and made 3 Elite Eights, 4 Sweet Sixteens, was a 2 time regular season conference champion, and 1 time conference tournament champion. She recruited well, but also dealt with injuries and roster chaos/deflections. Harper is on year 5 with no Elite Eights and no conference championship of any kind. While she will likely get 7 or 8 years(depending on how Tennessee wants to give lenience for COVID), if she doesn't make it to or advance past the Sweet 16 this year, I guarantee the seat warming process will begin, even if it takes a couple years to get hot without change.

I'd agree with all of this - but the *dynamic* has changed a lot, too. Holly had to deal with the transition from The Legend to The Aftermath. Tough. Kelly has had to pick up those pieces and try again to resurrect A Dynasty that is simply never going to return. I'd say TN admin just needs to lower their bar of expectations. 3rd in the SEC is NOT shabby by ANYONE'S standards (with the possible exception of the Late Great Pat)

It's probably a similar scenario at UConn....their recent seasons have been (truly) crappy to no one but UConn fans. Will their former glory days ever return? They have TN to view as roadmap....odds aren't lookin' good.

SC, UCLA, LSU, USC, maybe IA and OH St....the future is theirs for the forseeable future.

Tennessee followed Louisiana Tech's road map and now UConn is following both.

~rAf
thardy929

PostPosted: 03/02/24 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Howee wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Tennessee followed Louisiana Tech's road map and now UConn is following both.

I see this complaint a lot on the Tennessee forums but I don't buy it as Tennessee being in the SEC is totally different from La. Tech being C-USA and Old Dominion being in the Sun Belt. If things trend (further) downward in the next few years at Tennessee, they should have the resources such that a new coach could turn always turn things around again.

But as Howee said, Harper has finished 3rd in the SEC every season until this year (where she'll be tied 4th at worst). She's had at least one top player injured or out with illness for all or significant chunks of the season almost every year (Burrell, Horston, Key, Jackson). I think she deserves more time.

Warlick was an excellent recruiter but Harper has been better about building team culture and at player development IMO. Warlick got bigger wins but Harper's avoided worse losses. I think both left/leave a lot to be desired in terms of offensive/defensive schemes and consistent execution. Supposedly Tennessee is struggling with NIL in a way that's really hurting high school recruiting, which if that's true, I'm not sure how firing Harper and bringing in someone new would help all that much.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/02/24 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
Tennessee is struggling with NIL in a way that's really hurting high school recruiting, which if that's true, I'm not sure how firing Harper and bringing in someone new would help all that much.

Help me out here....most of you may get this part, but....I don't. How does NIL 'hurt' recruiting? Are various schools making varied allowances for this?

PostPosted: 03/05/24 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon’s Kelly Graves addresses job security: ‘We’re the ones who set the bar here’

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/24 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think y'all can leave Kellie Harper alone here. The SEC is one of the more competitive conferences in the country. She's coped with key injuries all season long and still is fourth in a conference where two teams are way ahead of the rest. I don't see you yelling about Jeff Walz being in the same position in his conference. Deal with it.

Kelly Graves, OTOH....

PostPosted: 03/07/24 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't see you yelling about Jeff Walz being in the same position in his conference. Deal with it.

Ummm that’s because Walz had Louisville in the 2022 Final Four. Harper hasn’t even come near a Final Four. Hasn’t even made an Elite 8 despite constant lofty preseason expectations. Deal with that.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/07/24 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think y'all can leave Kellie Harper alone here. The SEC is one of the more competitive conferences in the country. She's coped with key injuries all season long and still is fourth in a conference where two teams are way ahead of the rest. I don't see you yelling about Jeff Walz being in the same position in his conference. Deal with it.

Kelly Graves, OTOH....

In Harper's 3 seasons at Tennessee with a post-season, she has a 2nd round exit and Sweet 16's. Walz has 2 Elite 8's and a Final Four in that same stretch. The past 5 years there has been a post-season, Louisville has made it to at least the Elite 8. Walz may struggle during the regular season at times, but he gets it done in the post-season. As coaches in general, Walz has coached for 3 less years, against tougher competition most years, and still has almost 100 more wins than Harper(and much greater post-season success). That's why no one is yelling about Walz being in the same position.

Graves should be on a hot seat or fired this season, but I'm not sure Oregon cares enough about women's basketball to make the change.

PostPosted: 03/07/24 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Kelly Graves, OTOH....

In Harper's 3 seasons at Tennessee with a post-season, she has a 2nd round exit and Sweet 16's. Walz has 2 Elite 8's and a Final Four in that same stretch. The past 5 years there has been a post-season, Louisville has made it to at least the Elite 8. Walz may struggle during the regular season at times, but he gets it done in the post-season. As coaches in general, Walz has coached for 3 less years, against tougher competition most years, and still has almost 100 more wins than Harper(and much greater post-season success). That's why no one is yelling about Walz being in the same position.

Graves should be on a hot seat or fired this season, but I'm not sure Oregon cares enough about women's basketball to make the change.

Ya, you might wanna review some history before you decide he "should be on a hot seat," moreso than a coach like Ms. Harper Laughing
Kelly G. is Head and Shoulders above Kelly H, in every regard. 4 years ago, he had what was the highly-favored NC-winning team, the year before, a FF team that lost to the eventual champion (Baylor) by 5. That year, he also beat the SEC's best (Mississippi State). He created The Gold Standard at Oregon.

Does Oregon care? Clearly, you've never watched their home crowds in recent times. Not THIS season, but past seasons have been loaded with enthusiastic fans. Yes, Oregon cares.

Yes, fortunes have changed (see: the Oregon thread here). Being at the bottom of the PAC 12 - rated as The Strongest wbb conference this season - isn't the most Fire-able offense.

The ODDEST thing, the most questionable factor, is WHY the rapid decline, in 4 short years? It reminds me of Sheri Coale's rise to stardom at OK, and then - bunches of transfers, and she finally walks away. WHY? I hear a lotta inside stories on OK's changes, but not so much on Oregon. Yet.

PostPosted: 03/08/24 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IS BRENDA FRESE SAFE?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/09/24 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
IS BRENDA FRESE SAFE?

Maryland is in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament, so I would say yes.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/09/24 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
IS BRENDA FRESE SAFE?

Maryland is in the semifinals of the Big Ten tournament, so I would say yes.

For the moment.

PostPosted: 03/09/24 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thoughts from a rocking chair sipping sweet tea:

1. Graves probably has one more year.
2. Freese seat is not even warm.
3. Elzy is the worst coach and recruiter in the nation.
4. Harper has done a nice job after Christmas and cant see her going anywhere this year.
5. Bruno should just retire.
6. Purcell is not a good coach. Look at his record and look at his recruits. Not good on record and no skill on players and they have gotten no better since they got there. Walz got him that job.
7. Being everyone is talking about Walz, he is one of the Top 3 coaches in the womens game right now.

So having said that Elzy should have been fired immediately after the loss, but like others say, The AD there dont care anything about the womens game,

Missouri coach fired. Clemson fired.

basketballologist

PostPosted: 03/09/24 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzie Gardner resigns at Mercer. Kiley Hill fired at Western Carolina

SPD

PostPosted: 03/11/24 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Raoul just reported - "Kentucky WBB head coach Kyra Elzy has been relieved of her duties; over four seasons, overall record 61–60, SEC 23–40"

https://ukathletics.com/news/2024/03/11/kyra-elzy-kentucky-womens-basketball-head-coach-relieved-of-duties/

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1767214306389533184

adamspt2

PostPosted: 03/11/24 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Raoul just reported - "Kentucky WBB head coach Kyra Elzy has been relieved of her duties; over four seasons, overall record 61–60, SEC 23–40"

https://ukathletics.com/news/2024/03/11/kyra-elzy-kentucky-womens-basketball-head-coach-relieved-of-duties/

I'm shocked, but happy with this decision. I was figuring UK would give her another year. Down the road, Transy D3 women are in their second consecutive final four - were any D3 coaches ever successful as D1 coaches?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/24 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

I'm shocked, but happy with this decision. I was figuring UK would give her another year. Down the road, Transy D3 women are in their second consecutive final four - were any D3 coaches ever successful as D1 coaches?

I hate that for Kyra. She's a good person and was one of my favorite players when she was at Tennessee. I think she was put in a tough spot when she had tor eplace Matthew Mitchell on relatively short notice. Her style is way different from his.

PostPosted: 03/11/24 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

I hate that for Kyra. She's a good person and was one of my favorite players when she was at Tennessee. I think she was put in a tough spot when she had tor eplace Matthew Mitchell on relatively short notice. Her style is way different from his.

I agree she was in a tough spot, but their recruiting has been terrible. She hasn't signed a top 100 player in either this year's or last year's class. Not to mention she's had trouble retaining talent.

It will be interesting to see what direction Kentucky goes. They are paying Elzy $2.5 million to leave, so I assume they are going to make a serious push to upgrade.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/11/24 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

I agree she was in a tough spot, but their recruiting has been terrible. She hasn't signed a top 100 player in either this year's or last year's class. Not to mention she's had trouble retaining talent.

It will be interesting to see what direction Kentucky goes. They are paying Elzy $2.5 million to leave, so I assume they are going to make a serious push to upgrade.

Is Mitch Barnhart gonna have the cajones (and $$) to go after Kenny Brooks? Is Brooks even interested in a new challenge?

Can definitely see Kentucky going for a big hire with the revamped/updated Memorial set to open next season…

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/24 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

Is Mitch Barnhart gonna have the cajones (and $$) to go after Kenny Brooks? Is Brooks even interested in a new challenge?

Can definitely see Kentucky going for a big hire with the revamped/updated Memorial set to open next season…

Why would Brooks want to do that? He has built a very good program at VaTech and he is from Virginia and has spent his whole career there. I don't see any reason to think he won't retire from Tech.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/11/24 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39705541/utah-state-fires-women-basketball-coach-kayla-ard

Utah State's coach was apparently on the hot seat. Can't imagine many people lining up to work for their AD after the way this was handled. Kudos to Ard for handling that situation much better than most would.

PostPosted: 03/12/24 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

Why would Brooks want to do that? He has built a very good program at VaTech and he is from Virginia and has spent his whole career there. I don't see any reason to think he won't retire from Tech.

My theory is former Louisville assistant and current Mississippi State coach, Sam Purcell will leave MSU and return to the Bluegrass State as head coach of Kentucky. Then Mississippi State will hire Mississippi native and current Jackson State coach, Tomekia Reed. Just a thought

basketballologist

PostPosted: 03/12/24 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:

My theory is former Louisville assistant and current Mississippi State coach, Sam Purcell will leave MSU and return to the Bluegrass State as head coach of Kentucky. Then Mississippi State will hire Mississippi native and current Jackson State coach, Tomekia Reed. Just a thought

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/12/24 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sam Purcell hasn't exactly had a wild level of success. Kentucky actually beat them a couple of weeks ago and only lost the other game against them by 3. I don't think he'll be the answer for Mitch Barnhart.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/12/24 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Kentucky's first call is up the road to Jeff Walz. Conference realignment could make the SEC look quite a bit better than the ACC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: