RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HOT SEAT 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/01/24 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lawson hasn't been at Duke very long and is just starting to have some success. Tennessee would be better off trying to lure Jeff Walz from Louisville.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given that Tennessee was done playing more than a week ago and this is just being announced today, I also agree they likely already know who the next coach will be. Perhaps it will be someone whose team just finished playing this weekend.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/24 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some Tennessee fans and boosters are such spoiled whiners. Unrealistic whiners at that. They can't take anything less than a national championship. Big babies.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harper's boot surprises me, too. A 108-52 record and Sweet 16's in 2022 and 2023 over five years is a pretty good performance in the tough SEC. Much higher than average, except for the fact that UTK has very unrealistic expectations after the Summitt era, which will be impossible to match.

I also suspect that the AD may have a candidate already in mind, as this was unlikely a snap decision.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/24 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thinking further, it would take a lot of courage and confidence, or a huge and long contract, for someone to take the UTK job knowing the inflated expectations and knowing the formidable task of competing against Dawn Staley, Kim Mulkey and Vic Schaefer along with the rest of the SEC.

Walz seems to have a solid sinecure at Louisville, but maybe he's grown sick of it as his teams have become less elite. Maybe Lawson could be attracted by big money, especially if she thinks she can bring some of her recruits from Duke along. I'm skeptical, but who knows.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/24 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Lawson hasn't been at Duke very long and is just starting to have some success. Tennessee would be better off trying to lure Jeff Walz from Louisville.

Oh, YUK! If UT wanted to hire their first male coach ever, he'd be the LAST one I'd want! That would be enough to make me sign off as a Lady Vol fan for the duration. He's a disgusting POS.

If they want a male coach (and I doubt it) I think Wes Moore would be the one they'd go after. He's practically Tennessee, after all, coached at Chattanooga for quite awhile before moving on to NC State.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Top candidates for Tennessee:

Brenda Frese, Maryland: if she is looking for a fresh start, she would be a home run hire for Tennessee.
Jennie Barancyzk, Oklahoma
Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville
Scott Rueck, Oregon State: Also wouldn’t be shocked if he looked at the Virginia Tech job.
Kara Lawson, Duke: Tennessee Grad
Yolett McPhee-McCuin, Ole Miss

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake
Becky Hammon, Las Vegas Aces: lack of college coaching experience.
Cheryl Reeves, Minnesota Lynx: same as Hammon
Kim Barnes Arico, Michigan
Lindy La-Rocque, UNLV: she would be a great pick, but I do believe she is waiting for Stanford to open when Vanderveer retires.
Wes Moore, NC State: was a candidate and interviewed last time around, but age will be concern.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brenda Frese, Maryland: if she is looking for a fresh start, she would be a home run hire for Tennessee.
Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville
Scott Rueck, Oregon State: Also wouldn’t be shocked if he looked at the Virginia Tech job.

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake
Lindy La-Rocque, UNLV: she would be a great pick, but I do believe she is waiting for Stanford to open when Vanderveer retires.
Wes Moore, NC State: was a candidate and interviewed last time around, but age will be concern.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Wes Moore retire following final four run?

PostPosted: 04/01/24 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Some Tennessee fans and boosters are such spoiled whiners. Unrealistic whiners at that. They can't take anything less than a national championship. Big babies.

Five years without even reaching the E8 and all the stars people are talking about playing elsewhere is not the answer at Tennessee, the bluest of blue blood programs. Sure, there are 330+ schools in D-I who would be thrilled with making the tournament consistently with the occasional second weekend appearance. One of them will be very happy with Harper as coach. Tennessee has higher standards, as they should.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:

Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake

God no, NOT Brenda! Not now, not ever! And not Megan Duffy after the abysmal job at Marquette. No mid-major coach, either. I doubt they would look at a male coach, it would be breaking tradition as Tennessee has never had one. I'd be OK with Coach Yo, but she hasn't done all that well against the SEC any more than any other SEC coach. The West Coast coaches are wild cards. I'd love to see Kara back at UT and I think she'd take the job if asked. She was a Tennessee Torchbearer and is really a LVFL and I think may still be a member of the Board of Trustees. Wes Moore is a good choice if they do decide to have a male coach as he does have Tennessee roots, having coached at Chattanooga for some years. He'd probably be sort of an interim. Shea Ralph is smart but an old "enemy". I think the West Coast coaches are probably staying put. Just my thoughts.

And I think a lot of coaches are leaning more on the transfer portal than signing freshmen lately. Kellie's not the only one.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I hope they go after Kara...... (sorry, RaF)

I appreciate the apology. Obviously we don't want Kara going anywhere after the nightmare decade we endured prior to her arrival.

But, Kara went to Tennessee for ONE reason: to play for Pat. Her coaching style and demeanor are MUCH more suited for Duke. Tennessee fans think they deserve to win it all every year AND have the coach grab the mike and sing Rocky Top. Kara is very cerebral and does best coaching fellow nerds who can grasp her complex systems. That does not jibe with the Tennessee culture. Kara has planned her finances well and does not need a humongous paycheck. Even if she were the #1 choice of Tennessee (which she's not), I don't see any reason Kara would take the job. She found exactly the right spot for her here at Duke.

~rAf
eibln

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:

Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake

God no, NOT Brenda! Not now, not ever! And not Megan Duffy after the abysmal job at Marquette. No mid-major coach, either. I doubt they would look at a male coach, it would be breaking tradition as Tennessee has never had one. I'd be OK with Coach Yo, but she hasn't done all that well against the SEC any more than any other SEC coach. The West Coast coaches are wild cards. I'd love to see Kara back at UT and I think she'd take the job if asked. She was a Tennessee Torchbearer and is really a LVFL and I think may still be a member of the Board of Trustees. Wes Moore is a good choice if they do decide to have a male coach as he does have Tennessee roots, having coached at Chattanooga for some years. He'd probably be sort of an interim. Shea Ralph is smart but an old "enemy". I think the West Coast coaches are probably staying put. Just my thoughts.

And I think a lot of coaches are leaning more on the transfer portal than signing freshmen lately. Kellie's not the only one.

You got some crazy opinions about good coaches. Megan Duffy has not been even been close to abysmal at Marquette, in fact she has had over 20 wins in 6 of her 7 years coaching. She makes the tournament basically every year too. Marquette loves her too, in case you didn’t know. Marquette women don’t have a very high ceiling, and is not known for it women's basketball history either. And yet they still do pretty well.

Brenda Frese could basically get almost any job in the country if she wanted
it. Tennessee could do good with her at the helm. As would Jeff Walz.

Personally I don’t know if Kara Lawson would take the job, as some said her coaching style is better suited for place like Duke, but could potentially be a great replacement for Harper.

Coach Yo, I wouldn’t go after her. She has struggled against the top tier of the SEC already, they could do better.

Gail Goestenkors would be an interesting pick. I could see her still doing well. She has spent a lot of years as an assistant after years of being a great coach.

I don’t see Tennessee taking into consideration that Shea Ralph is an old “enemy”.

Tennessee might do well to venture out of the Summit tree and try something different. Lots of good options. And with multiple conference realignments, west coast coaches are becoming more inclined to move. Gottlieb might be the hardest one to convince to leave, as it seems like she is building a special program at USC.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:

Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake

You got some crazy opinions about good coaches. Megan Duffy has not been even been close to abysmal at Marquette, in fact she has had over 20 wins in 6 of her 7 years coaching. She makes the tournament basically every year too. Marquette loves her too, in case you didn’t know. Marquette women don’t have a very high ceiling, and is not known for it women's basketball history either. And yet they still do pretty well.

Personally I don’t know if Kara Lawson would take the job, as some said her coaching style is better suited for place like Duke, but could potentially be a great replacement for Harper.

Coach Yo, I wouldn’t go after her. She has struggled against the top tier of the SEC already, they could do better.

Gail Goestenkors would be an interesting pick. I could see her still doing well. She has spent a lot of years as an assistant after years of being a great coach.

I don’t see Tennessee taking into consideration that Shea Ralph is an old “enemy”.

Tennessee might do well to venture out of the Summit tree and try something different. Lots of good options. And with multiple conference realignments, west coast coaches are becoming more inclined to move. Gottlieb might be the hardest one to convince to leave, as it seems like she is building a special program at USC.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
eibln wrote:

Cori Close, UCLA
Lindsay Gottlieb, USC
Jeff Walz, Louisville

Wild Cards:
Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt
Megan Duffy, Marquette
Allison Pohlman, Drake

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megan Duffy has won zero NCAA tournament games at Marquette. If Tennessee fired Harper for ‘only’ making the sweet 16, I can’t imagine they’d look at Duffy.

I saw some posts today speculating Liza Karlen entering the transfer portal was indicative that Duffy is leaving. Karlen already basically announced she wasn’t coming back to MU when she participated in senior day ceremonies for the last regular season game.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nobody is going to succeed at TN as long as Pat is the goal.

Any coach that thinks they can do it is fooling themselves and I hope that get a BIG pile of cash for their trouble.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Nobody is going to succeed at TN as long as Pat is the goal.

Any coach that thinks they can do it is fooling themselves and I hope that get a BIG pile of cash for their trouble.

This is the whole problem. A lot of spoiled, whiny Lady Vol fans expect the immediate return of Saint Pat. Not gonna happen, folks. Not tomorrow and not in four years. See my sig line for the reason why. Danny White should have taken that into account when he fired Kellie. Now I wonder how many players we’ll see in the portal tomorrow.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay now these Elite Eight games are over, the only thing I care about is Georgia Amoore and Tennessee’s open job.

I will go with the boring pick of Kentucky for Georgia but I am going with Nicki Collen for Tennessee.

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because of the timing here of the news, I’m guessing it’s Nicki Collen, Kara Lawson or Scott Rueck. All are very different coaches, different reasons for wanting to leave current jobs and all very intriguing.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/02/24 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Megan Duffy has won zero NCAA tournament games at Marquette. If Tennessee fired Harper for ‘only’ making the sweet 16, I can’t imagine they’d look at Duffy.

I saw some posts today speculating Liza Karlen entering the transfer portal was indicative that Duffy is leaving. Karlen already basically announced she wasn’t coming back to MU when she participated in senior day ceremonies for the last regular season game.

If she doesn't take a P5 job this year she might miss her window of opportunity. Marquette is not set up for success for the foreseeable future and, hey...she'd still be a upgrade at Clemson.

PostPosted: 04/02/24 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

If she doesn't take a P5 job this year she might miss her window of opportunity. Marquette is not set up for success for the foreseeable future and, hey...she'd still be an upgrade at Clemson.

Clemson hired a new coach a week ago.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/13/24 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hot seat candidate:
Freda Freeman-Jackson (Alabama State)
I confess I don't follow them but I just noticed they were 16 – 15 a year ago and 3 – 26 this year. Maybe there is a story but that's quite a drop off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: