RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HOT SEAT 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thardy929

PostPosted: 12/07/23 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
7. Kellie Jolly Harper, Tennessee, isn't going nowhere. She is a great coach. Just watch Tennessee after Christmas.

I'm intrigued to know what the Tennessee fan perspective on Harper thus far into the season is. They are now 4-5 and have lost to every decent team they've played, besides Oklahoma. Would the average Vols fan place her on the warm seat now, or is there a potential end-of-season finish that might place her on the hot seat(or is she going to be allowed the same level of leniency her predecessor received)?

I've been a fan of Harper and this coaching staff, even through last year's challenges. I think there were legitimate reasons Tennessee struggled in the non-con last season, with both Horston and Jackson missing games against top opponents and losing Key midseason, and trying to integrate a bunch of transfers. This year, there are legitimate reasons again Tennessee is going through this rough patch, with the Jackson injury, Key getting back into shape, and trying to build chemistry with new transfers during another challenging non-con schedule.

That said, the product on the floor is getting increasingly difficult to watch. There doesn't seem to be much of an offensive system, there's an inability to make in-game adjustments (which the announcers kept harping on during the MTSU game last night), and the substitution patterns are often baffling. And that doesn't even touch on the challenges with high school recruiting.

I don't know, I really want it to work out with Harper but I think a lot of fans are losing patience, understandably. Though I think a lot of folks could use some perspective, as Harper does have the best record in the SEC over the last few years outside of Staley, she's always been top three in the SEC after Warlick failed to do that her last four seasons, and the program has been back to the Sweet 16 the last two seasons after a five-year drought. I hope Jackson at least returns soon so there's a chance for coaches and players alike to turn this season around. Key does seem to have turned a corner, so that's a great sign for the team, too (though I think it's becoming clear she hid a lot of the other defensive deficiencies for the program over the last few years).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/23 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
7. Kellie Jolly Harper, Tennessee, isn't going nowhere. She is a great coach. Just watch Tennessee after Christmas.

I'm intrigued to know what the Tennessee fan perspective on Harper thus far into the season is. They are now 4-5 and have lost to every decent team they've played, besides Oklahoma. Would the average Vols fan place her on the warm seat now, or is there a potential end-of-season finish that might place her on the hot seat(or is she going to be allowed the same level of leniency her predecessor received)?

Rickea and Jillian Hollingshead are both out right now. Talk to me in March.

PostPosted: 12/07/23 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

I've been a fan of Harper and this coaching staff, even through last year's challenges. I think there were legitimate reasons Tennessee struggled in the non-con last season, with both Horston and Jackson missing games against top opponents and losing Key midseason, and trying to integrate a bunch of transfers. This year, there are legitimate reasons again Tennessee is going through this rough patch, with the Jackson injury, Key getting back into shape, and trying to build chemistry with new transfers during another challenging non-con schedule.

That said, the product on the floor is getting increasingly difficult to watch. There doesn't seem to be much of an offensive system, there's an inability to make in-game adjustments (which the announcers kept harping on during the MTSU game last night), and the substitution patterns are often baffling. And that doesn't even touch on the challenges with high school recruiting.

I don't know, I really want it to work out with Harper but I think a lot of fans are losing patience, understandably. Though I think a lot of folks could use some perspective, as Harper does have the best record in the SEC over the last few years outside of Staley, she's always been top three in the SEC after Warlick failed to do that her last four seasons, and the program has been back to the Sweet 16 the last two seasons after a five-year drought. I hope Jackson at least returns soon so there's a chance for coaches and players alike to turn this season around. Key does seem to have turned a corner, so that's a great sign for the team, too (though I think it's becoming clear she hid a lot of the other defensive deficiencies for the program over the last few years).

Agreed on most - fans got tired of the constant lack of answers from Warlick beyond the mantra " we just have to try harder....do better....". I couldn't count the multiple post-game pressers after tough losses - taking place over YEARS - where Holly's best answers to reporters' questions of "what went wrong", was to reply "I don't know....I don't have an answer for that....". That can tire out a fanbase that's used to success.

I am not familiar enough that Kellie is saying some of those same things in her pressers, but knowledgeable fans can SEE the lack of answers during games, if it happens over and over. We have no choice but to give an out for Kellie and the Lady Vols right now, with Jackson out of the lineup being too huge a blow when she was expected to be a major team-load carrier at the start of the season, and Tennessee has played a tough stretch of their schedule lately.

Also Key being greatly limited, and Hollingshead is out when she was supposed to be the major depth support for Key, along with Jackson would be major losses for ANY program - don't forget that Jackson is UTk's leading rebounder, so the absence of her, Hollingshead, and Key is a super hit to the Lady Vols' post presence and defense.

MTSU may not be included in that group, but they are regularly a strong mid-major program, and have a bit of a in-state rivalry with UTk.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/08/23 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Well stated. I’ve been so disappointed in them this year (Tess Darby? Omg) but agree with a lot of this. Lurking on Lady Vols message boards and social media and the fan base is NOT happy and calling for her firing. I think this rough patch will be tough to overcome but there is a lot of basketball left to be played and this team could very well finish 3rd in the SEC when it’s all said and done.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/08/23 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Well stated. I’ve been so disappointed in them this year (Tess Darby? Omg) but agree with a lot of this. Lurking on Lady Vols message boards and social media and the fan base is NOT happy and calling for her firing. I think this rough patch will be tough to overcome but there is a lot of basketball left to be played and this team could very well finish 3rd in the SEC when it’s all said and done.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/24 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering about Brenda Frese of Maryland. Maundering in the middle of the BIG (and likely to be in worse shape next year with the influx of former Pac-12 teams) and with the transfers out of high-profile players several years running, her seat is looking just a bit warm recently

PostPosted: 02/08/24 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'm wondering about Brenda Frese of Maryland. Maundering in the middle of the BIG (and likely to be in worse shape next year with the influx of former Pac-12 teams) and with the transfers out of high-profile players several years running, her seat is looking just a bit warm recently

She did just make her 7th Elite Eight in 22 years and has won nearly 80% of her games at Maryland overall. She will likely be given 2-3 years of decline before her seat ever gets warm, and probably 4-5 before it gets hot.

PostPosted: 02/08/24 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly understand she hasn't been as successful the past few years, but I still think it's more likely that Frese decides to leave on her own than it is that she's forced out. Maryland hasn't exactly been killing it in much of anything sports-wise and I don't think whoever would theoretically replace her would be likely to improve things much.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/08/24 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With so many transfers out and rumors of a toxic environment starting to bubble up, could Adia Barnes seat start warming up soon?

PostPosted: 02/27/24 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Which coaches do you all see getting fired at the end of the season

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/28/24 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the P5, Robin Pingeton for absolute sure. Northwestern will never fire McKoewn but they need a change. Amanda Butler needs to go. I'm curious to see what happens at Oregon. Krista Gerlich's only had 4 years but she's 20-50 in the Big 12 so her seat has to be at least warm.

PostPosted: 02/28/24 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Sad to say, maybe Kyra Elzy at Kentucky. She is one of my all-time favorite Lady Vols but she hasn't had a lot of success with the Wildcats.

Not too sure about Kevin Pederson at Coastal Carolina either. He's only in his second year so maybe they'll give him another year or two of grace, but they see4m firmly mired in the cellar of the Sun Belt, and his roster is almost entirely freshmen and a couple of grad transfers and JuCos this year.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

Fired-
Robin Pingeton
Amanda Butler

Hot Seat For Next Year-
Adia Barnes
Brandon Schneider
Krista Gerlich
Kelli Harper
Carolyn Kieger
Joanna Bernabei-McNamee
Brooke Stoehr
Kyra Elzy
Kelly Rae Finley

Potential Retirement Candidates-
Bill Fennelly
Joe McKeown
Doug Bruno

PostPosted: 02/29/24 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep telling you, Kellie Harper isn't going anywhere. Considering the SEC, #3 isn't the worst place to be right now.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Sad to say, maybe Kyra Elzy at Kentucky. She is one of my all-time favorite Lady Vols but she hasn't had a lot of success with the Wildcats..

Elzy seems to be a great person and has put her heart & soul into the program. We all were rooting for her to succeed but it’s not working.

She has a buyout over $2M. I’d be surprised if our AD will make a change and fork over the money.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/29/24 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adia Barnes has been dealing with lots of injuries this year & is at 8-8, I think.

AZ signed her to a 5 yr. extension at the end of Dec. ‘23 with a hefty $5.85 million pay raise in the new contract.

Anyway, I don’t see her as being on the hot seat.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 9:16 pm    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

4. Carolyn Kieger, Penn State.....
9. Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt

Both of these coaches have made some strident gains this season, since the original post here.

One I ponder: Coquese Washington - she's followed 2 iconic coaches (Portland, CVS) and not done much of anything.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 9:32 pm    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

4. Carolyn Kieger, Penn State.....
9. Shea Ralph, Vanderbilt

Both of these coaches have made some strident gains this season, since the original post here.

One I ponder: Coquese Washington - she's followed 2 iconic coaches (Portland, CVS) and not done much of anything.

Still wondering about Kieger as PSU is now projected to be on the wrong side of the bubble.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/29/24 9:50 pm    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Still wondering about Kieger as PSU is now projected to be on the wrong side of the bubble.

I think going from from last season's 4/14: conference, 14/17 overall to this season's (currently) 8/9 and 17/11 is improvement enough to afford her some more time. And she's certainly been a far sight better than her predecessor. I believe they're on the uptick.

Last edited by Howee on 02/29/24 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/29/24 9:59 pm    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I'd think going from from last season's 4/14: conference, 14/17 overall to this season's (currently) 8/9 and 17/11 is improvement enough to afford her some more time. And she's certainly been a far sight better than her predecessor. I believe they're on the uptick.

I’m pulling for her - just wasn’t sure how much time they’d give her at PSU.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/29/24 10:04 pm    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I’m pulling for her - just wasn’t sure how much time they’d give her at PSU.

Penn State isn't as *huge* on their wbb as they are their volleyball. I hope she can really pull things up there.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 3:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if Tennessee were to move on from Harper, who would be on the list to replace her? I would try to go for someone high profile, maybe away from the Summit tree.

KBA (as much as I would hate to see her go)? Jennie Baranczyk? Teri Moren? Cori Close? Gail Goestenkor?

I would put Lindy La Rocque on here, but I expect her to replace Vanderveer at Stanford.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 9:55 am    ::: Re: HOT SEAT 2023-2024 Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Hard to do anything when there's no foundation and the earth has been scorched and salted.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charmin Smith's contract is up at Cal. Another good person, but change is needed.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I keep telling you, Kellie Harper isn't going anywhere. Considering the SEC, #3 isn't the worst place to be right now.

Warlick got 7 years and made 3 Elite Eights, 4 Sweet Sixteens, was a 2 time regular season conference champion, and 1 time conference tournament champion. She recruited well, but also dealt with injuries and roster chaos/deflections. Harper is on year 5 with no Elite Eights and no conference championship of any kind. While she will likely get 7 or 8 years(depending on how Tennessee wants to give lenience for COVID), if she doesn't make it to or advance past the Sweet 16 this year, I guarantee the seat warming process will begin, even if it takes a couple years to get hot without change.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: