RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Thoughts on Opening Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/16/24 1:55 pm    ::: Thoughts on Opening Day Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta: Rhyne Howard will be All-WNBA this year; she looked unstoppable. Charles still dominated with 21 & 14, but it was all within the flow of the game; she didn't force anything or take any selfish shots. Jones looked good enough running point that they can take their time with getting Canada to 100% before they bring her back.

Chicago: They looked good for what they've got; they will surprise some people but I still don't think they make the playoffs. Mabrey will move into Elite territory and contend for All-WNBA this year. Evans looked good transitioning to PG, didn't shoot well but had 6 assists and 0 TOs. Great to see DeShields have a good game after a year off and a really rough pre-season.

Connecticut: If Jones returns to her '22 form and the backcourt of Harris & Carrington keeps playing like they did in G1, this is the 2nd best team in the league.

Dallas: They'll be good enough to stay in contention until Sabally gets back, and then look out. Ogunbowale will regain her All-WNBA status.

Indiana: Did Clark have an underwhelming first game? Yes. Do I expect her to have a negative a/to for most of the season. No. Connecticut was a really tough first out. Expect this team to improve significantly off G1, and quickly.

Las Vegas: I mean, they put up 89 points in their first game, without the services of the best point guard in the league. They're the best team, and it's not close.

Los Angeles: The good: Hamby went for 20 & 14, Brink hit 4/6 shots including two 3's, Nurse had her best game in years and Clarendon had their first ever triple double. The Bad: they still lost because outside of those 4 players, they only managed 16 points; just 8 off the bench. In fact, McDonald, Talbot, Yueru, Cooke and Burrell collectively scored 1 point in about 27 minutes. That kind of production off the bench is not going to win games.

Minnesota: They looked extremely well oiled for only having 4 returning players. The ball movement was incredible. Alanna Smith is going to be a strong contender for MIP.

New York: Returning 5 All-Star starters, I am surprised they don't look better. Yes, the bench is unproven, but also only accounted for 40 minutes of playing time.

Phoenix: They kept it within 10 against the best team in the league by virtue of Taurasi's insane shooting night and the absence of Gray. T, Copper and Cloud are a fantastic backcourt, but they are going to get crushed in the post by EVERY team in this league as long as Griner's out. Which, if you believe the conspiracy theorists, might be the point. Wink

Seattle: Underwhelming opener to say the least. The offense never flowed and all of Loyd and Diggins-Smith's shots were forced. On the plus side, Nneka, Ezi and Jordan all played well. But that fourth quarter...woof.

Washington: Even after playing NY hard, I still think they're the last place team. Samuelson has proven that she belongs in the league, but she's not a 25+ minute starter on a winning team.

Power Rankings After Game 1:
1 - Las Vegas
2 - Connecticut
3 - Atlanta
4 - Minnesota
5 - Dallas
6 - New York
7 - Seattle
8 - Indiana
9 - Chicago
10 - Phoenix
11 - Los Angeles
12 - Washington

PostPosted: 05/16/24 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also bad for Los Angeles---they couldn't even draw 4,000 to the game. Ouch

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/16/24 2:55 pm    ::: Re: Thoughts on Opening Day Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Atlanta: Rhyne Howard will be All-WNBA this year; she looked unstoppable. Charles still dominated with 21 & 14, but it was all within the flow of the game; she didn't force anything or take any selfish shots. Jones looked good enough running point that they can take their time with getting Canada to 100% before they bring her back.

Chicago: They looked good for what they've got; they will surprise some people but I still don't think they make the playoffs. Mabrey will move into Elite territory and contend for All-WNBA this year. Evans looked good transitioning to PG, didn't shoot well but had 6 assists and 0 TOs. Great to see DeShields have a good game after a year off and a really rough pre-season.

Connecticut: If Jones returns to her '22 form and the backcourt of Harris & Carrington keeps playing like they did in G1, this is the 2nd best team in the league.

Dallas: They'll be good enough to stay in contention until Sabally gets back, and then look out. Ogunbowale will regain her All-WNBA status.

Indiana: Did Clark have an underwhelming first game? Yes. Do I expect her to have a negative a/to for most of the season. No. Connecticut was a really tough first out. Expect this team to improve significantly off G1, and quickly.

Las Vegas: I mean, they put up 89 points in their first game, without the services of the best point guard in the league. They're the best team, and it's not close.

Los Angeles: The good: Hamby went for 20 & 14, Brink hit 4/6 shots including two 3's, Nurse had her best game in years and Clarendon had their first ever triple double. The Bad: they still lost because outside of those 4 players, they only managed 16 points; just 8 off the bench. In fact, McDonald, Talbot, Yueru, Cooke and Burrell collectively scored 1 point in about 27 minutes. That kind of production off the bench is not going to win games.

Minnesota: They looked extremely well oiled for only having 4 returning players. The ball movement was incredible. Alanna Smith is going to be a strong contender for MIP.

New York: Returning 5 All-Star starters, I am surprised they don't look better. Yes, the bench is unproven, but also only accounted for 40 minutes of playing time.

Phoenix: They kept it within 10 against the best team in the league by virtue of Taurasi's insane shooting night and the absence of Gray. T, Copper and Cloud are a fantastic backcourt, but they are going to get crushed in the post by EVERY team in this league as long as Griner's out. Which, if you believe the conspiracy theorists, might be the point. Wink

Seattle: Underwhelming opener to say the least. The offense never flowed and all of Loyd and Diggins-Smith's shots were forced. On the plus side, Nneka, Ezi and Jordan all played well. But that fourth quarter...woof.

Washington: Even after playing NY hard, I still think they're the last place team. Samuelson has proven that she belongs in the league, but she's not a 25+ minute starter on a winning team.

Power Rankings After Game 1:
1 - Las Vegas
2 - Connecticut
3 - Atlanta
4 - Minnesota
5 - Dallas
6 - New York
7 - Seattle
8 - Indiana
9 - Chicago
10 - Phoenix
11 - Los Angeles
12 - Washington

GREAT synopsis! Only quibble is with Mystics (too low) and Atlanta (too high). I agree that KARLIE Samuelson belongs in the league but less than 25 min/game. Pretty sure this is KATIE LOU Samuelson's last year in the league.

Mystics' Shakira Austin will contend for MIP and All*Star. Sykes will contend for DPOY and all WNBA. They might be good enough to get to the playoffs, but certainly keep them out of the cellar (LA & Phoenix will fight it out for last place).

I agree that TC had a very fine 1st game but I don't think she can keep that up. Can hardly believe Atlanta got her on the boards - something NY, DC, Phx & Seattle failed to do. As body aches increase, I expect that to drop off and her thinking she can hit from anywhere on the floor will increase. YO, TC, Rhyne is National Team good NOW and you aren't. Pass her the ball.

~rAf
IM in OC

PostPosted: 05/16/24 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:

Game was played at Long Beach State Pyramid Arena
Capacity is about 4000
They had a crowd of 3847

Is that supposed to be bad?

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/16/24 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

Game was played at Long Beach State Pyramid Arena
Capacity is about 4000
They had a crowd of 3847

Is that supposed to be bad?

That’s better than they normally draw when they play there. They’ve gotta get a better backup arena. That one looks so bad on TV.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/16/24 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with most points I like Atlanta a lot as well

I am not worried about NY Stewart had a bad game she is still a top 10 player if not 5 I don’t expect too many single digit scoring outings. Perimeter defense is still our weakness Laney can’t guard 1-3 at the same time but most nights are offense should be enough to overcome that short coming. (We will still struggle with Conn and LV but so will everyone else).

If PX stays healthy I have them in the playoffs and while I expect Boston, Smirh and Clark to lead Indy to playoffs and contention I don’t expect it this year (unless PX has some injury troubles which is quite possible).

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/17/24 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas and New York are still the two best teams, and it isn't close. Connecticut is a solid 3rd now but I believe they can be challenged by Seattle (assuming the team gels) and Dallas (once Sabally returns).

Atlanta and Minnesota both look like playoff teams, but I am not yet sold on Charles in Atlanta and Smith in Minnesota. If either player can maintain their excellent play throughout the season they could get the 4 seed, but I expect both will be on the road.

That leaves 5 teams fighting for 1 spot and frankly I could make a case for any of them. If Clark can adapt to the WNBA, Boston can continue to Improve and Tiffany Mitchell can coexist with Clark on the court they could make the playoffs.

Phoenix needs Griner to be healthy and Taurasi to stay motivated (particularly after the Olympics) but add them to Copper and Cloud and this could be a playoff team.

Washington is better than most people seem to think. Atkins and Sykes are both very good guards. Austin, Dolson, Hines-Allen and Edwards form a decent front line rotation, particularly on defense.

LA and Chicago need their rookies to step up fast. Brink and Jackson played fair in their first game, showing "sparks" of their talent, but they must improve quickly. And Azura Stevens must get back to take some pressure off of Brink. In the Windy City Mabrey is a very good offensive player and DeShields is at times special. If Reese can quickly become a force and Cardoso can come back from her injury those two, along with Williams, can provide a solid front line.

Power rankings now (projected ratings for the season)

1. Las Vegas (1)
2. New York (2)
3. Connecticut (3)
4. Atlanta (6)
5. Minnesota (7)
6. Seattle (4)
7. Dallas (5)
8. Washington (8)
9. Chicago (11)
10. Los Angeles (12)
11. Indiana (10)
12. Phoenix (9)

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/17/24 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Its kind of hard to gage, being that we are not in the places of the rookies but with all this extra coverage how do you think all the scrutiny will affect the rooks?
tahoma17

PostPosted: 05/17/24 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wondering. Did you base your comments on Washington and Karlie Samuelson on one game? Because Karlie had a great game tonight against Connecticut (and she did really well with the London Lions). The Mystics may have won this game if they hadn't lost Sykes early in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: