J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/25/23 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for fun

Sloot/#12 Sheldon, Osborne or C. Taylor
Ionescu/Richards
Laney/Thornton/Engstler
Stewart/Sabally
J. Jones/Dolson

Stewart and Jones resign at near reg max leaving enough money to resign Dolson at like 80-90k (or someone else), add a perimeter defender, kind of PG/combo guard with the #12 pick and two minimum contracts for Engstler and Richards to improve perimeter and wing defense.

Not very exciting and I am kind of being cheeky with bringing back Dolson but I can see it happening. I don’t think we’ll see either Han Xu or Johannes because of club and Olympic team commitments but hope I am wrong. I don’t see Willoughby returning either (it will be interesting to see if we even make a qualifying offer to keep her restricted or just let her go completely). Stewart, Sloot and Jones were part of building the super team don’t see any moving on after a second place finish and finals appearance. They lack the chemistry and balance that the aces have but maybe with more time together and slightly improved defensive options on the bench, they can solve the problem. Ionescu can still take a step forward, it took Plum a couple of seasons to adapt to playing with other great players Sabrina probably over deferred this year maybe next year she steps up more. Even if we should consider switching it up I feel like running back just seems logical. Maybe Diggins-Smith or B. Jones would be a better fit but than Sloot or JJ but who knows? And I assume everyone was happy so can’t really see Stewart or JJ seeking greener pastures.

One idea I might look into instead of Dolson maybe Deshields if we can get her for vet minimum her defense could help and we don’t really need her to score. But if we don’t bring back Dolson we probably need another big bench post K. Brown, Anigwe, Hebard if we can afford her?

NYSports56

PostPosted: 10/25/23 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Just for fun

Sloot/#12 Sheldon, Osborne or C. Taylor
Ionescu/Richards
Laney/Thornton/Engstler
Stewart/Sabally
J. Jones/Dolson

Stewart and Jones resign at near reg max leaving enough money to resign Dolson at like 80-90k (or someone else), add a perimeter defender, kind of PG/combo guard with the #12 pick and two minimum contracts for Engstler and Richards to improve perimeter and wing defense.

Not very exciting and I am kind of being cheeky with bringing back Dolson but I can see it happening. I don’t think we’ll see either Han Xu or Johannes because of club and Olympic team commitments but hope I am wrong. I don’t see Willoughby returning either (it will be interesting to see if we even make a qualifying offer to keep her restricted or just let her go completely). Stewart, Sloot and Jones were part of building the super team don’t see any moving on after a second place finish and finals appearance. They lack the chemistry and balance that the aces have but maybe with more time together and slightly improved defensive options on the bench, they can solve the problem. Ionescu can still take a step forward, it took Plum a couple of seasons to adapt to playing with other great players Sabrina probably over deferred this year maybe next year she steps up more. Even if we should consider switching it up I feel like running back just seems logical. Maybe Diggins-Smith or B. Jones would be a better fit but than Sloot or JJ but who knows? And I assume everyone was happy so can’t really see Stewart or JJ seeking greener pastures.

One idea I might look into instead of Dolson maybe Deshields if we can get her for vet minimum her defense could help and we don’t really need her to score. But if we don’t bring back Dolson we probably need another big bench post K. Brown, Anigwe, Hebard if we can afford her?

Drafting a rookie point guard if there's one available is definitely what the Liberty should do. I think everything is mostly fine--we just had our best year since I've been a fan! The chemistry will come over time just like it did over in Vegas.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/26/23 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
... Ionescu can still take a step forward, it took Plum a couple of seasons to adapt to playing with other great players Sabrina probably over deferred this year maybe next year she steps up more...

Which great players did Plum have difficulty adapting to playing with when she looked like a bust as a rookie?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/26/23 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
... Ionescu can still take a step forward, it took Plum a couple of seasons to adapt to playing with other great players Sabrina probably over deferred this year maybe next year she steps up more...

Which great players did Plum have difficulty adapting to playing with when she looked like a bust as a rookie?

It was kind of different for Plum. She had to adjust to the speed and physicality of the league. And I remember Laimbeer having a very short leash with Plum later because of poor defense or hero ball. Later when she was playing with Wilson and Cambage it took her a beat or two to learn how to get the ball inside and play off of having great posts. Sometimes when you have had a long career college and younger of being the first option you struggle to adapt your game. It wasn’t exactly the same with Ionescu but like Plum ionescu didn’t have the great players her first season either. maybe because she missed a lot of her first year and could learn from watching but she seem to have a green light to score her first couple of years even when on the court with very good players like Howard or Laney Ionescu still did her thing and this season because she was off the ball much more due to Sloot and Stewie she seemed much less aggressive often functioning more as a shooter than as a scorer. I would thin for a great young player it might take a moment to adjust to when to do your thing when two former MVPs join your team and one of the best pgs ever takes over the ball handling duties. I think in year two Ionescu will find ways to do more. Plum’s evelotion was both to become an ok defender and become more selective when to push her offense or go on a Plum run as the announcer started calling it or get the ball inside.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/26/23 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the New York Liberty could look like in 2024

https://www.beyondwomenssports.com/what-the-new-york-liberty-could-look-like-in-2024/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jmvcity

PostPosted: 11/08/23 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got an email from my ticket rep:

"Just got notice from my boss that prices WILL be INCREASING sometime next week!
We have roughly doubled our fan base from where we were this time last season and have around 1,300 new members which is amazing."

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/08/23 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m really glad I bought that four pack of courtside tickets in 2022. I’ll never be able to afford that again!

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/25/24 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how to post articles but right below the ESPN article about Nneka leaving LA is an article for January 23 2024 that say Jonquel Jones' agent is reporting that she will be returning to the Liberty this season.

jmvcity

PostPosted: 01/25/24 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39379599/nneka-ogwumike-notifies-sparks-leaving-free-agency

Last edited by jmvcity on 01/25/24 11:26 am; edited 4 times in total
jmvcity

PostPosted: 01/25/24 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double post

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/01/24 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does this look on the court offensively ?

Vandersloot
Ionescu
Ogwumike
Stewart
Jones ??

PostPosted: 02/02/24 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Vandersloot
Ionescu
Ogwumike
Stewart
Jones ??

There aren't enough shots to go around.

PostPosted: 02/02/24 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Vandersloot
Ionescu
Ogwumike
Stewart
Jones ??

There aren't enough shots to go around.

I feel more depressed for Laney . She's improved leaps and bounds just to get benched as a 6th man . Nneka wont require a lot of shots she's fine playing the cleanup role with put backs on misses. How much better of a perimeter defender is Nneka/Stewie than say Laney ?

PostPosted: 02/03/24 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NY has signed the end of bench players but haven't inked out the J. Jones and Stewart deals yet.

Do we think they are trying to negotiate a way to also bring in Nneka?

There is a discussion about super teams on the free agent thread. Last year I was slightly less enthused by NY putting together their own version of the Miami Heat with Stewart, Sloot and Jones working together to come to NY. I really like Nneka but if she joins as well I don't know, I hope she goes to Seattle or Chi to keep the whole league thriving.

I am also a little bummed that Washington signed both Richards and Engstler who were going to be my younger bench player to help with defense. Not really knowing much about who we have signed but hoping they show out, or we can luck into one of Sheldon or Osborne in the draft. Also trying to look more into the young player from Australia Borlase as I feel like she will be our draft pick.

as other bench options wouldn't mind taking a look at Henderson, Anigwe, K. Charles or S. Thomas.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 02/04/24 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every day that goes by I keep wondering what veteran guard are the Liberty going to sign to give them the ability to better contain Chelsea/Kelsey/Jackie in a three game series.

Yet we are only aware of their interest in Nneka. These people aren’t dumb. There must be something else playing out.

PostPosted: 02/04/24 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Dolson and Willoughby remain in NYL?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/04/24 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

god I hope not

they're lovely people but they do not help this team on the floor

PostPosted: 02/05/24 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

god I hope not

but dolson hits threes unexpectedly!

zune69

PostPosted: 02/05/24 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other teams are getting better while the Liberty are staying stagnant...New York should be bolstering the supporting cast. Not giving roister spots to deadweight like Dolson

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/05/24 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Queenie wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

god I hope not

but dolson hits threes unexpectedly!

We can't rely on someone using the Konami code on Stef on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 02/05/24 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any other worthy free agents still available for the Libs to poach?

zune69

PostPosted: 02/05/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

Gabby?

scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/05/24 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

Gabby?

Nope, she’s not playing. She wants to be with her Olympic team.

PostPosted: 02/05/24 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure we can afford more that vet minimum and minimum minimum assuming Stewart and Jones are both coming back on big money contracts we’re at 7

Sloot
Ionescu
Laney/Thorton
Stewart
Jones/N. Sabally

Assuming pick 11 makes it and is a perimeter player (Osborne, Sheldon, Amoore, Borlase, Paopao?)

We have 3 spots left really need some perimeter defense and at least one more post

Don’t kill me but if she is willing to take close to minimum I could see Dolson return. Diamond Deshields? Sims? Peddy? As posts go maybe Cannon, Hebard? I like Anigwe, bring back Cubaj, Any Aussies floating around George?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/07/24 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watch them bring back Avery Warley-Talbert Shocked Mad Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: