RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Parker retires.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 04/28/24 12:46 pm    ::: Parker retires. Reply Reply with quote

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10118996-candace-parker-retires-after-16-year-career-won-3-wnba-titles-2-mvp-awards

Thank you for your part in bringing a championship to my Sparks. Happy trails, princess.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/28/24 12:54 pm    ::: Re: Parker retires. Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

I've never been a Parker fan, but it is shocking to see a legend like this just slipping away with an Instagram post.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/28/24 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, that's going to take the luster off of those Dream games; I might not even go now.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/28/24 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My heart aches… thanks for carrying the torch and bringing womens basketball to a new level .

PostPosted: 04/28/24 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That leaves Isabelle Harrison as the last player in the W to have played for Pat Summitt

PostPosted: 04/28/24 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feels like a real changing of the guard. Thank you Ace...

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/24 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker's retirement leaves Diana Taurasi as the last player who has played against The Comets

PostPosted: 04/28/24 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a legendary career.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/28/24 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, CP. The Sky would not have won that championship without you. 💙

PostPosted: 04/28/24 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Commish saying she’d like4 new teams, this may beachance for CP. to fulfill her wish to own a W team. That would be awesome.

Congrats to ACE for a great career.

PostPosted: 04/28/24 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
With the Commish saying she’d like4 new teams, this may beachance for CP. to fulfill her wish to own a W team. That would be awesome.

Congrats to ACE for a great career.

I'd imagine both LA and Chicago might invite her to join their ownership groups, if she didn't want to build from the ground up. Not sure if there's another city she has any particular attachment to where she'd want to help start a franchise. Maybe somewhere in Tennessee?

PostPosted: 04/28/24 5:57 pm    ::: Re: Parker retires. Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Shocked

I've never been a Parker fan, but it is shocking to see a legend like this just slipping away with an Instagram post.

This.

I want the greats to go out like Catch and Bird did. (That being said, obviously it’s her choice and this is how she wanted to do it, but..)

PostPosted: 04/28/24 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if she ever inquired into the Tennessee head coaching job. She definitely has coaching in her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/24 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In the mean time, know IM A BUSINESS, man, not a businessman. This is the beginning...I'm attacking business, private equity, ownership (I will own both a NBA & WNBA team), broadcasting, production, boardrooms, beach volleyball, dominoes (sorry babe it's going to get more real) with the same intensity & focus I did basketball.

Last edited by tfan on 04/29/24 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/29/24 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of my favorite players of all time.. Always liked watching her play. Cool

Was hoping for one more year, but at least I'll still be able to see a lot of her on Inside the NBA, bullying Shaq Laughing Razz

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/24 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now we know why Parker suddenly decided to retire. She got herself a nice jobby job. President of Adidas women’s basketball division.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 05/11/24 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm truly going to miss seeing CP on the court and have to admit, I was shocked for many days....Who breaks the story of her own retirement and then the news drops on her new executive position a short time after? Her! lol! She does it her way and her body may have failed her, but she seems to never be without a plan!

Because I didn't watch college ball back then, I didn't know who she was upon entering the league but she quickly let us know! Witnessing her journey was full of highs and lows...highlights, setbacks, critiques, scuffles, kerfuffles, what ifs, the WTFs, triumphs...but if you stand back and look at it, it has been an amazing story of an athlete, personally and professionally and frankly, none of the documentaries have quite done her justice... She truly was a transcendent superstar, the blueprint for many of today's athletes...the personification of versatility, position-less before it was popular...A Goat! She was one of the primary people carrying the WBB torch for nearly two decades. Death, taxes and CP ballin'! We know her as one of the most decorated athletes of our time, but coupled with her off court accomplishments, she truly is 1 of 1!

Here is great retirement article on her...with quotes from her family and a few close friends: https://chicago.suntimes.com/2024/05/03/candace-parkers-career-is-a-master-class-on-timing-and-the-beauty-that-lies-in-deciding-for-yourself

I knew her retirement was quickly approaching but I thought we'd get one more year and I was praying for a fully healthy year so we could see her hold off father time and see the full vision of the Aces at their ultimate peak!! I bought tickets to a few Aces games prior to her announcement, hoping to see her lace them up a few more times. Today is the 1st of those games, LV Aces vs. PR. *sigh* I guess it's fully sunk in Crying or Very sad Seriously, if you read this: Congrats CP on a beautiful career! Thank you for the many years and everything you have given to the game! Your story has been inspirational even for those of us who aren't ballers, resilience is a skill we all need. Summer truly will miss you! It has been beautiful watching you break barriers on and off the court! Keep doing it your way!

This season is going to feel different for me (and I'm sure for many others)...so many of the long time greats are gone (and 1 is still hanging on...lol!) but I'm so happy to see the growth of the league and excited to watch the journey of the players! Go W!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: