RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Yes It's Too Early In Their Careers But...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/10/24 5:33 pm    ::: Yes It's Too Early In Their Careers But... Reply Reply with quote

I can't help but see a parallel forming between the Magic/Bird rivalry that kicked off major success for the NBA and the Reese/Clarkdynamic. They're not rivals per se yet but I think Reese's outgoing nature matches Magic and Caitlin's understated demeanor mirrors Larry's.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 05/11/24 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i agree except for CC understated demeanor - she's pretty flashy and showboat-y

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 05/11/24 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i agree except for CC understated demeanor - she's pretty flashy and showboat-y

Maybe he's saying that Clark may be a bit flashy/chippy on the court, but she is not controversial in any way off the court. Angel doesn't really acknowledge that line (if it even exists).

I remember that when Angel was getting negative feedback for the 'ring pointing' in the NCAA finals, Caitlin was asked about and didn't play the victim at all. She said (unbelievably) that she didn't notice Angel doing it.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/11/24 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see it at all. While they had a 2 game rivalry in college they are not Bird and Johnson. Most importantly they play for Chicago and Indiana so they won't be playing in the playoffs for quite awhile. Magic and Bird went to the top 2 franchises historically. The Clark-Reese "rivalry" will make for an interesting story or two when they play this season but that is all.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/11/24 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I don't see it at all. While they had a 2 game rivalry in college they are not Bird and Johnson. Most importantly they play for Chicago and Indiana so they won't be playing in the playoffs for quite awhile. Magic and Bird went to the top 2 franchises historically. The Clark-Reese "rivalry" will make for an interesting story or two when they play this season but that is all.

It's early yet, hence the title of the post. It's not a direct correlation either. The reason I even brought it up is more about personalities. And yeah it's more of a off the court similarity between Bird and Clark for me.
lillian wood

PostPosted: 05/12/24 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A potential rivalry would be Brink vs. Cardoso. The question mark in the draft was which post would the Sparks pick with great arguments for both players. They play the same position so they'll go head-to-head. They seem to be nice people but everyone has an ego and Cardoso will want to show she should've been picked first and Brink will be out to show the Sparks made the smart choice. The storyline is there even if the spotlight isn't.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/12/24 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lillian wood wrote:
A potential rivalry would be Brink vs. Cardoso. The question mark in the draft was which post would the Sparks pick with great arguments for both players. They play the same position so they'll go head-to-head. They seem to be nice people but everyone has an ego and Cardoso will want to show she should've been picked first and Brink will be out to show the Sparks made the smart choice. The storyline is there even if the spotlight isn't.

Except they don't play the same position. 6'4 playing center is a disadvantage in this league. Brink's position is pf. I knew LA would try playing her at center, which is why I wanted Cardoso, who actually IS a center.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/24 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
lillian wood wrote:

Except they don't play the same position. 6'4 playing center is a disadvantage in this league. Brink's position is pf. I knew LA would try playing her at center, which is why I wanted Cardoso, who actually IS a center.

It's not like the Aces have won back to back championships with 6'3 centers...

PostPosted: 05/12/24 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree, Brink's natural position is power forward. But Brink and Cardosa will match up at times and, I think, both of their careers will be compared, fairly or unfairly, to see if LA did make the right decision. I think it'll be interesting for years to come.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/12/24 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark v Bueckers seems like the more natural rivalry in the future.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/12/24 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Stewie vs A'ja is the current Bird vs. Magic rivalry. Everybody else is going to have to wait a year or eight.

Twisted Evil

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/12/24 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Stewie vs A'ja is the current Bird vs. Magic rivalry. Everybody else is going to have to wait a year or eight.

Twisted Evil

A’ja v Stewie is sort of the modern version of the L. Leslie v L. Jackson rivalry imo.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/12/24 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Twisted Evil

A’ja v Stewie is sort of the modern version of the L. Leslie v L. Jackson rivalry imo.

Not until one pulls the other's hair out

PostPosted: 05/12/24 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of y'all are just thinking in terms of basketball when picking your rivalry predictions. One of the big things about the Magic/Bird rivalries was that it went beyond basketball. Both their personalities were larger than life. Their intense competitive natures shown through their personalities, Magic's was flashy, showy, charismatic. Bird was more blue collar, head down and straight forward. So the comparisons were seemingly polar opposites. That created tension that fueled interest in the league. Folks love a good scrap.
ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 05/12/24 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Some of y'all are just thinking in terms of basketball when picking your rivalry predictions. One of the big things about the Magic/Bird rivalries was that it went beyond basketball. Both their personalities were larger than life. Their intense competitive natures shown through their personalities, Magic's was flashy, showy, charismatic. Bird was more blue collar, head down and straight forward. So the comparisons were seemingly polar opposites. That created tension that fueled interest in the league. Folks love a good scrap.

True, but is has to translate to the court in terms of head-to-head competition to match the Bird-Magic analogy as well. Personalities who never play against one another on the biggest stage don't qualify, which is why Jackson-Leslie doesn't work for me. Same conference, therefore no WNBA Finals battles.

Bird-Magic also had the NCAA Finals match up that lit the initial fire. That's where Caitlin and Angel have the advantage, but to match Bird-Magic, they need to play against one another in some Finals. That doesn't appear likely for a year or three. Bird and Magic didn't play agains one another in the NBA Finals until 1984 after their 1979 NCAA Finals game, but they had combined to win three championships by then.

Basically it is virtually impossible to match Bird-Magic. It was just too much of a perfect storm.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/13/24 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Id like to think it will Be JuJu vs Bueckers for the next few years .

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: