RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/21/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've done a series of these, for what it's worth. Seems reasonable to link them in the relevant thread

Washington Mystics 2023-24 Offseason Guide: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2023-24-wnba-offseason-guides-washington-mystics

PostPosted: 09/22/23 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Kamilla Cardoso enters the draft and is available at pick 6, Mystics would be absolutely nutso if they don't take the 6'7 skilled player. Mystics have to get younger and taller and Cardoso fills that need perfectly. The Mystics can never again have a 6'2 player try to guard a 6'6 former MVP in a playoff game. Period. This trumps all other needs of this team (young scorers, back up PG).

~rAf
wnbafan

PostPosted: 09/23/23 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
If Kamilla Cardoso enters the draft and is available at pick 6, Mystics would be absolutely nutso if they don't take the 6'7 skilled player. Mystics have to get younger and taller and Cardoso fills that need perfectly. The Mystics can never again have a 6'2 player try to guard a 6'6 former MVP in a playoff game. Period. This trumps all other needs of this team (young scorers, back up PG).

100% Exclamation

PostPosted: 09/23/23 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

100% Exclamation

If Cardosa has the season I expect her too, I'd be shocked to see her available at 6.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 09/26/23 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something seemed off to me chemistry wise this year, too. I am almost wondering if there is a rift between EDD and Cloud. I admittedly have nothing concrete to back this up, but I didn't read many quotes from either about the other this year.

I think it's entirely possible only one of them is back next year.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/26/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Something seemed off to me chemistry wise this year, too. I am almost wondering if there is a rift between EDD and Cloud. I admittedly have nothing concrete to back this up, but I didn't read many quotes from either about the other this year.

I think it's entirely possible only one of them is back next year.

Don't want to start anything but EDD has drawn supermax for four years while playing 51 games. Cloud is MVP of the team and earns less. Both are free agents. Tricky time for Mike T.

~rAf
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 09/26/23 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems that the choice is clear for Washington. They should dig in with Cloud pairing her with Atkinson, Sykes, Austin, and source a replacement post.

EDD is best placed in a scenario where a team is in a position to make a short term gamble at a high pay rate. Atlanta and Indiana come to mind as options where they have needs at the 3/4 and could likely afford her pay for a two year experiment. She says she wants to win, so she’s going to need to believe that her presence can get someone over the hump as well.

PostPosted: 09/27/23 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
It seems that the choice is clear for Washington. They should dig in with Cloud pairing her with Atkinson, Sykes, Austin, and source a replacement post.

EDD is best placed in a scenario where a team is in a position to make a short term gamble at a high pay rate. Atlanta and Indiana come to mind as options where they have needs at the 3/4 and could likely afford her pay for a two year experiment. She says she wants to win, so she’s going to need to believe that her presence can get someone over the hump as well.

Yeah, she says she "just wants to win" now, which is also different than what she's said in the past about not wanting to play anywhere other than Washington. I don't see her going to one of the mid-level teams, even if they pay her the supermax. I've never gotten the impression she needs max money anyway, because she doesn't go overseas.

I think the key will be whether she is willing to take a pay cut. Would she be willing to take a deal similar to what Parker took to go to LV this year? If she just wants to win, I don't really see her going anywhere other than New York or Vegas, and New York is a helluva lot closer to Delaware than LV is.

Again, this is all just speculation on my part. I hope Mike T can find a resolution that makes everyone happy, but I do think this iteration of the Mystics is over and frankly maybe should have been over a couple years ago.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/27/23 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nope

no thank you

I do not want a rental player whose health has so many question marks the Riddler thinks it's a lot

PostPosted: 12/13/23 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just announced that the Washington Wizards and Capitals (NHL) will be leaving DC and moving to a new arena complex in Virginia in 2028. However, the Mystics will remain in DC.

https://www.si.com/nba/wizards/news/washington-wizards-officially-set-to-leave-dc

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/13/23 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Just announced that the Washington Wizards and Capitals (NHL) will be leaving DC and moving to a new arena complex in Virginia in 2028. However, the Mystics will remain in DC.

https://www.si.com/nba/wizards/news/washington-wizards-officially-set-to-leave-dc

I read the Mystics may move back to Capitol One?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/23 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

That's what I've heard

PostPosted: 12/13/23 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

I have never been to Washington DC, and I have no personal interest in this matter. But I wonder what former Wizards and Capitals and Mystics owner Abe Pollin (who died in 2009) would've thought about this.

And so did Alex Orfinger, of the Washington Business Journal:

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about Abe Pollin today.

For those of you who don’t recognize the name, Abe Pollin was a successful businessman in Washington who owned the Washington Wizards and the Capitals before Ted Leonsis. He was a towering figure in Washington, revered by his business acumen and for his philanthropic leadership.

After decades playing in an aging facility in Landover, Mr. Pollin invested $200 million of his own dollars to move the teams to a new arena. The city contributed the land and infrastructure funding.

For those of you of a certain age, you may not remember that the city in the late ’90s was in dire straits — suffering from increased crime, questionable governance from the Wilson Building, and a center city including Chinatown lacking in any sort of amenities, restaurants or theaters. It was a neighborhood searching for growth and development. And Abe Pollin offered the spark and set off the extraordinary renaissance of our downtown.

I’ve also been thinking about Ted Leonsis today.

Like Abe Pollin, Ted Leonsis is an extraordinarily successful businessman having made billions at AOL and now through his ownership of the Wizards and the Capitals.

Like Mr. Pollin, Mr. Leonsis is deeply entrenched in the Washington community, spearheading efforts to secure the Olympics and as a founder of the Greater Washington Partnership. And he’s a generous philanthropist in his own right.

But today, I do wish Ted Leonsis channeled more of Abe Pollin. Lured by a $1.4 billion bond financing deal from Virginia, he plans to move his teams to Northern Virginia. I am a capitalist through and through and don’t in the end question Ted’s desire and motives to create a $2 billion dollar world-class entertainment complex in Alexandria. Knowing Ted, he will deliver an amazing experience for the teams, their fans and the region.

How could this have been different? If Ted Leonsis were channeling the civic generosity of Abe Pollin, he could have pursued a higher purpose. He could have led the revitalization of Washington and the nation’s capital.

Yes, we can point fingers at Mayor Muriel Bowser for not taking his threat to leave seriously. Yes, we can point fingers at the federal government for abandoning the city and not doing more to get their workforce back the office and supporting downtown in a real and material way. In the end, Ted did what any business leader would do. He cut a great deal for himself and his business partners.

I just miss Abe Pollin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2023/12/13/washington-wizards-capitals-monumental-sports.html

Last edited by StevenHW on 02/02/24 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
scullyfu

PostPosted: 12/13/23 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

That's what I've heard

Question: did Capitol One used to be Verizon, aka the Phone Booth? Thanks.

PostPosted: 12/13/23 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

That's what I've heard

Question: did Capitol One used to be Verizon, aka the Phone Booth? Thanks.

And the MCI Center before that, yes. All the same place, just sponsored by different companies.

PostPosted: 12/13/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All about crime and poor DC political leadership forcing these moves. The Mystics being left behind.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/23 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
All about crime and poor DC political leadership forcing these moves. The Mystics being left behind.

The city isn't willing to subsidize a billionaire but Northern Virginia is. That's what it's about.

#NATC

PostPosted: 12/13/23 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

That's what I've heard

I heard the same thing.
(i.e. it is stated in the article)
Quote:
They also announced that the WNBA team Washington Mystics will stay in Washington DC and at an upgraded Capital One Arena.

What do Mystics fans think of that move?
I once watched a game there and it was a sad vibe in a mostly empty arena.
Would attendances justify the bigger venue again?
It would be nice if so. But if numbers are still lowish, then give me the atmosphere of a few thousand people crammed into a small arena every time over a few thousand people scattered around a large one.

PostPosted: 12/13/23 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The League is always so keen to push the "Look at our growth!" angle that I wonder if they're pushing for teams to play in bigger arenas even if they're not going to come close to filling them. When you play in an arena that only holds about 4,000 people you can't even coherently lie to push the numbers upwards (like Indiana pretty visibly have been to even get their average up towards 4,000 this year).

As long as they make it very clear to their fanbase where games are being played, I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington split their games. You keep filling ESA as much as possible, see how many more you can draw at Capital One, and move more there if it's working out.

PostPosted: 12/14/23 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The League is always so keen to push the "Look at our growth!" angle that I wonder if they're pushing for teams to play in bigger arenas even if they're not going to come close to filling them. When you play in an arena that only holds about 4,000 people you can't even coherently lie to push the numbers upwards (like Indiana pretty visibly have been to even get their average up towards 4,000 this year).

As long as they make it very clear to their fanbase where games are being played, I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington split their games. You keep filling ESA as much as possible, see how many more you can draw at Capital One, and move more there if it's working out.

I think the success of the move back to Capitol One will hinge on how successful the team is on the court. I think we’ve seen legitimately good attendance for teams like NY, SEA, LV and Vegas. Even Minnesota still seems to have a good culture of attendance held over from their dynasty days.

The problem with Cap is that it is cavernous that 7k will look sparse, unlike 7k at Barclays Center.

I also wonder if the other teams moving will boost Mystics attendance in a way similar to Seattle? They’ll technically be “the only game in town” for people who live in the city.

It’s a shame they built the ESA so small because the general concept is something I think works well for the W. W specific arenas with 7-10k capacity. It creates a better atmosphere for attendees and looks better on TV.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/23 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What kind of curtaining/partitioning can Washington use to make the Phone Booth more... well... phone booth-y?

PostPosted: 12/14/23 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Wizards moving out to the suburbs, they'll probably be looking to unload ESA

PostPosted: 12/14/23 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live in DC, about a mile from Capital One Arena/Verizon Center/MCI Center. There are discussions about renovating the existing downtown arena into a smaller, 10,000- to 15,000-seat arena. I am... skeptical of that being done just for the Mystics (and I guess Georgetown men's basketball).

Downtown is a mess right now for sure for a variety of reasons--our mayor and city council aren't great, but DC also can't entirely govern itself because of Congressional oversight. This is definitely NOT GOOD for the city.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/29/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/dc-mayor-aims-to-keep-mystics-in-ward-8-as-monumental-seeks-move-to-capital-one-arena/3502501/

Quote:
"The District honors its contracts, and we trust and expect our partners to do the same," a spokesperson for Mayor Muriel Bowser said. A spokesperson for Monument told News4 the Mystics and women’s sports in general are outgrowing the Entertainment and Sports Arena venue.

PostPosted: 01/01/24 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four Predictions for the Mystics in 2024 (by Albert Lee)
Check out his rationale at the link
https://www.bulletsforever.com/platform/amp/mystics/2023/12/31/24020667/washington-mystics-predictions-2024

Prediction 1: The Mystics re-sign Elena Delle Donne and Natasha Cloud, but not at max salaries
I see this as less of a prediction and more like wishful thinking.

Prediction 2: Myisha Hines-Allen will be on the proverbial “hot seat” as she enters a contract year
Something tells me he is not a fan.

Prediction 3: Ariel Atkins is the only Mystics player on the USA Basketball women’s national team for the 2024 Olympics
Isn’t it sacrilege for a Mystics fan to not push Delle Donne as an Olympian?

Prediction 4: The Mystics make the playoffs and host a playoff game. But will lose in the semifinals
He must be a psychic if he can confidently predict this before seeing how free agency pans out.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: