RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/14/23 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoot, hardly any Chicago fans post here anyway!

I previously shared my opinion on SDS. But she is a good and consistent player, which the Sky desperately needs. If she isn't a locker room poison, which some have implied she can be, then I'll suck it up just like I did with Parker. That ended up working out in our favor, but I didn't have the same irrational venom for her that I've always had for SDS.

All I know is, we gotta get Kahppertop some consistent help! And we need a coach that will fix our defense.

PostPosted: 10/14/23 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The Aces are beatable. Other teams just need to stay healthy...

* Connecticut could've beat the Aces last season had JT stayed healthy and JJ played like the MVP she was.

* A healthy Washington team could've given the Aces a run..They have elite-level defense

* Seattle gave the Aces a run last season.

* Phoenix beat the Aces 2 seasons ago. I know, Cambage was on the team..but still, the Aces were the favorite to win that series and compete for the championship.

Sorry Chicago fans...I know this is a Sky thread.

The Aces are beatable if they ever lose a playoff series. That has not happened yet under Hammon's tenure. But you and everyone else can keep hope alive.

PostPosted: 10/14/23 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would DC go for SDS instead of keeping Cloud? The only area SDS is better than Cloud is shooting the rock. Cloud is in the top 3 defending PG's in the league (Canada & Gray), top 3 in assists and trusted leader on and off the floor. She makes it her mission to connect to EVERY player on the team, from injured star, to glued to the bench back up. You will never see Cloud bickering with a teammate during a game.

The only PG I'd take over Cloud is Chelsea Gray. Period. End of story.

DC needs a taller (than MHA) PF who can play every game. I no longer see EDD as that player. I believe MHA has better years in front of her - she's just not tall enough as a starter to help the Mystics contend.

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 10/14/23 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Why would DC go for SDS instead of keeping Cloud? The only area SDS is better than Cloud is shooting the rock. Cloud is in the top 3 defending PG's in the league (Canada & Gray), top 3 in assists and trusted leader on and off the floor. She makes it her mission to connect to EVERY player on the team, from injured star, to glued to the bench back up. You will never see Cloud bickering with a teammate during a game.

The only PG I'd take over Cloud is Chelsea Gray. Period. End of story.

DC needs a taller (than MHA) PF who can play every game. I no longer see EDD as that player. I believe MHA has better years in front of her - she's just not tall enough as a starter to help the Mystics contend.

Because Cloud has games as she did in game 1 vs NY :...4 points on 1 for 8 shooting.....and Washington needs a legit 2nd option.....I said it at the start of the season when Washington got off to a slow start...Who is their 2nd option?.... If Atkins gave them a consistent 15-20 then Skylar would not be needed....If there wasn't a 6-year age difference between Atkins/SDS I'd say trade Atkins for SDS and re-sign Cloud.

G- Cloud
G- SDS
C- Austin
F- EDD
F- Sykes

This team would be a fu*king problem.........I'm not saying SDS > Cloud because I think Cloud is a bad player...I'm saying it because I think Washington needs a consistent 2nd option.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/15/23 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What Teresa Weatherspoon's hiring means for Chicago, WNBA

Quote:
Weatherspoon's hiring means half the league's coaching spots are again held by former WNBA players

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/24/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T-Spoon press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LEFXYpBU7k

PostPosted: 10/31/23 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New GM. Hmmm...

https://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-name-jeff-pagliocca-as-general-manager/
Quote:
Pagliocca returns to the Sky after spending the past four seasons assisting with player development and advising the head coach. Most recently, he spent the past 2023 season as the Sky’s Director of Skill Development.

With over 20 years of world class player development and basketball training, Jeff started his own company, Evolution Athletics in Deerfield, IL, where he trains top tier athletes across high school, college, WNBA, and NBA, including NBA prospects and All-Americans.

Off the court, Jeff is also a strategic consultant and advisor to help maximize the potential of professional players, coaches, and agents. A renowned talent evaluator, he is known for his scouting and film analysis expertise.

Does this qualify him as a potentially competent GM?

PostPosted: 11/01/23 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
New GM. Hmmm...

https://sky.wnba.com/news/chicago-sky-name-jeff-pagliocca-as-general-manager/
Quote:
Pagliocca returns to the Sky after spending the past four seasons assisting with player development and advising the head coach. Most recently, he spent the past 2023 season as the Sky’s Director of Skill Development.

With over 20 years of world class player development and basketball training, Jeff started his own company, Evolution Athletics in Deerfield, IL, where he trains top tier athletes across high school, college, WNBA, and NBA, including NBA prospects and All-Americans.

Off the court, Jeff is also a strategic consultant and advisor to help maximize the potential of professional players, coaches, and agents. A renowned talent evaluator, he is known for his scouting and film analysis expertise.

Does this qualify him as a potentially competent GM?

Yes there are other things the GM does, but doesn't that all sound like things a GM is expected to do, evaluate talent, work with players/agents, understand the dynamics of different levels of the sport, understand all parts of training and player development.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/24/24 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2024 WNBA Free Agency: The Chicago Sky’s reinvention continues with free agency

tfan

PostPosted: 01/28/24 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2024 WNBA free agency preview: Chicago Sky

Quote:
As the Sky search for a starting point guard, will they promote their own talent, or pick up a free agent?

I was surprised at how good of a point guard Courtney Williams was with regard to passing. I don't think they intended to use her there, but Mabrey isn't really a point guard and it just worked out that way. Seems like she should have played that position, at least part of the time, earlier in her career. And her size is better suited for that position.

The road to sustained success: An interview with Chicago Sky general manager Jeff Pagliocca

Locked On Women’s Basketball: Chicago Sky GM Jeff Pagliocca lays out his vision for 2024

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reports of Kah to the Mercury in exchange for players and picks.

Man, I feel so bad for T Spoon. I really hope they warned her they would further gut the roster when she took this job.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/24 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Man, I feel so bad for T Spoon. I really hope they warned her they would further gut the roster when she took this job.

I just hope they don't use this season against her to cann her in 2 years like most ____ Head coaches get .

PostPosted: 02/06/24 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I just hope they don't use this season against her to cann her in 2 years like most ____ Head coaches get .

I think the league has changed considerably on that front. I mean, neither Seattle nor Atlanta canned their HCs despite some lackluster results.

However, I wouldn’t trust Chicago knew what they were going to have on the floor when they hired Spoon. Even bigger these free agency losses, I don’t know why the heck Spoon took this job. It makes even less sense now.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/24 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blow up the franchise.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/24 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Blow up the franchise.

Do you feel this way because they signed your girl DeShields?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/24 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Phoenix Mercury have acquired All-Star and WNBA Champion wing Kahleah Copper and forward Morgan Bertsch from the Chicago Sky in exchange for forwards Brianna Turner and Michaela Onyenwere, along with the Mercury’s first-round pick in 2024 (third overall) and first round pick in 2026, the team announced today. As part of the deal, Chicago will receive its 2025 second-round pick back from Phoenix (acquired by the Mercury in a four-team trade prior to the 2023 season) and the rights to a 2026 second-round pick swap with Phoenix.

https://mercury.wnba.com/news/phoenix-mercury-acquires-kahleah-copper-and-morgan-bertsch/

Last edited by Shades on 02/06/24 1:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 02/06/24 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't even know what to say! The team has been putting out this video series on Copper.

Man, starting all over again - again - with the loss of Smith and CWill...

Well - I always wanted Bri Jones. Sorry Bertsch is going - I think she has great potential and it's a shame she got hurt.

PostPosted: 02/06/24 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

Well - I always wanted Bri Jones.

But you’ll settle for Bri Turner. Very Happy

zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/24 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Blow up the franchise.

Do you feel this way because they signed your girl DeShields?

I feel this way because I get the feeling Chicago is going to disband. They've had several ongoing issues since the franchise was founded. It also doesn't make sense to have an odd number of teams. San Fransico in...Chicago out.

As for Diamond...The only thing she can do is show teams that she is fully recovered, coachable, and can play team basketball.....Remains to be seen.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/24 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
It also doesn't make sense to have an odd number of teams. San Fransico in...Chicago out.

It’s happened before. Those were also the great days of 13 player rosters, with two players designated as injury reserve every game, whether they were injured or not.

So you think Chicago is planning to cease operations, but they still want those 2026 draft picks? I guess they’re just trying to fool logical people like me.

zune69

PostPosted: 02/06/24 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

So you think Chicago is planning to cease operations, but they still want those 2026 draft picks? I guess they’re just trying to fool logical people like me.

You're right. Phoenix gave Chicago a ton of picks...Maybe it's not a disbandment, but instead, a relocation.....Or maybe I'm completely wrong and Chicago is going for a rebuild.

GEF34

PostPosted: 02/06/24 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Why is the assumption this trade was done without her say and not something she wanted or had a voice in. Maybe whatever vision/style/philosophy she has in mind she had certain players she wants to get to fit that or maybe she wants to start from scratch and build with young players who grow the foundation together.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/06/24 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not impossible that Weatherspoon was OK with trading the only all-star on her roster, but seems unlikely. Unless she and Copper met and they found they didn't get along for some reason. First year coaches are usually going to want to win - at least enough to make the #8 playoff spot - right away and not in a few years. Even if the GM and owner say that they will be patient and the coach has time before becoming a winner, they can easily change their minds on that as the fans revolt after the losses pile up in a couple of lottery appearances. Walt Hopkins, Katie Smith and Marianne Stanley come to mind.

Seems possible Copper requested a trade after seeing players leaving [Alanna Smith, Courtney Williams] and no one coming in as free agents and no 2024 1st round pick.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/06/24 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

👷🏾‍♂️ It's rebuilding time.

PostPosted: 02/08/24 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky sign Kysre Gondrezick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: