RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/08/23 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury must stop maxing Taurasi due to the fact she will never again play a full WNBA season. They absolutely need the cap space to bring in some top free agents. They will gain a lot when Skylar signs elsewhere, but the more the merrier. Giner abolutely needs an offensive comrade in the post so she can't be triple teamed as happened this year. With cap space they can go after Howard and others, which would dramatically change the Mercury post game.

The new GM has to be smarter about building a team and handling aging GOAT Taurasi.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/09/23 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
The Mercury must stop maxing Taurasi due to the fact she will never again play a full WNBA season. They absolutely need the cap space to bring in some top free agents. They will gain a lot when Skylar signs elsewhere, but the more the merrier. Giner abolutely needs an offensive comrade in the post so she can't be triple teamed as happened this year. With cap space they can go after Howard and others, which would dramatically change the Mercury post game.

The new GM has to be smarter about building a team and handling aging GOAT Taurasi.

I agree but two things.

She already has a max contract for this season and I find it highly unlikely she resigns after 2024.

Should EDD take a paycut since she can’t play a full season either?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/09/23 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I agree but two things.

She already has a max contract for this season and I find it highly unlikely she resigns after 2024.

Right - odds are higher that a 42 year old Diana Taurasi plays a full season than EDD.

Ps, I think if it benefitted Phoenix to have wins, Diana will likely play through some of the little injuries

PostPosted: 10/10/23 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I agree but two things.

Right - odds are higher that a 42 year old Diana Taurasi plays a full season than EDD.

Ps, I think if it benefitted Phoenix to have wins, Diana will likely play through some of the little injuries

If her playing through is hurting the team, she shouldn’t play unless fully healthy.

I think the GM will do a much better job than the previous GM. I foresee that if the Mercury get the #1 pick which should be Clark (if she decides not to take the extra year of college ), they will build the team around her and not be on this championship or bust building around DT as they have for years.
DT will have a decision to make. Hopefully it will be a fair well tour so she can get recognition from other teams. They can at least offer her a front office role or assistant coach position. One thing for sure, it’s definitely time for the Mercury to start thinking about the future.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/12/23 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I agree but two things.

Yes, EDD should take a pay cut. She's played 51 games in 3 years with a supermax contract. Mystics can only assemble a competitive team if EDD only gets paid what she's actually earning. Same thing as Phoenix - except the Mystics were just outside competitive while Phoenix were the worst team in the league.

~rAf
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/16/23 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
ESPN Sources: Orlando Magic assistant Nate Tibbetts is finalizing a deal to become the new head coach of the Phoenix Mercury. Tibbetts — who’s also been an assistant with Portland and Cleveland — will become the highest paid coach in WNBA history.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1714057965269922132

Shocked Exclamation

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/16/23 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orlando is my men’s team and, I must admit, I don’t keep up but I feel like Orlando has been in perpetual rebuild since 2010. Not really sure what this guys credentials really are. Has he ever coached women? Does he have a successful track record? Will the players respect him? How mad is everyone gonna be about a white guy being the highest paid coach in league history?

Off to google I go….

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/16/23 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, it's the fact that it is someone who is a life long assistant with seemingly no ties to the women's game is going to be the highest paid coach in WNBA history. Something just can't sit right with me about this and this owner.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/16/23 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38675219/sources-magic-nate-tibbetts-become-new-mercury-coach

Um..how did we miss that Phoenix now has a Warriors guy as a GM?

He’s the son a successful high school girls coach.

I can’t find out much about him other than he seems like a successful assistant coach.

Totally willing to trust Ishbia (who has gone all out for the men’s team..) and the Warriors guy though. And I love that he’s willing to spend.

I think it’s awesome that the WNBA is now in a place to pluck NBA talent. Unfortunately, that’s going to come with more white guys Laughing

PostPosted: 10/16/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
To me, it's the fact that it is someone who is a life long assistant with seemingly no ties to the women's game is going to be the highest paid coach in WNBA history. Something just can't sit right with me about this and this owner.

I’m not concerned with his race and gender, but from a résumé standpoint, I’m confused as to what makes him someone that would warrant being the highest paid coach in the league. Hammon made since. She was in the conversation for an NBA head coaching position and had the league experience, so paying her that salary to lure her away from the NBA makes sense. I don’t see how paying an assistant coach from a mediocre team with no connection to the league is warranted.

I hope he’s successful but this is a bizarre choice.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/16/23 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

somebody probably knows a guy

PostPosted: 10/16/23 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

I’m not concerned with his race and gender, but from a résumé standpoint, I’m confused as to what makes him someone that would warrant being the highest paid coach in the league. Hammon made since. She was in the conversation for an NBA head coaching position and had the league experience, so paying her that salary to lure her away from the NBA makes sense. I don’t see how paying an assistant coach from a mediocre team with no connection to the league is warranted.

I hope he’s successful but this is a bizarre choice.

It’s simply market value.

The Aces had to pay Becky..because they had to match salary. Not because she’s in the running for head coaching jobs, but because she had a job that paid more than a WNBA coaching job.

If this was the person Phoenix wanted, they had to pay him enough to leave his job.

I’m really not understanding the negative thoughts. He’s been an assistant coach in the NBA for 10 years, including an associate head coach position for Portland. (Dame even thanked him in his letter when leaving Portland this summer).

We have someone investing significantly in the WNBA - that’s really cool. It would be easy, and almost understandable for Ishbia to have his sole focus be the Suns - considering the team he has put together and the Mercury’s results last year - but he’s included the Mercury in all of the media, is investing in infrastructure, and plucking and paying for talent in the NBA. He said he was going to invest in the WNBA and he’s doing it.

How can WNBA fans be wary of that? The Phoenix Mercury hired someone from Golden State’s staff. (For those who don’t follow the NBA, Golden State’s staff is generally considered one of the best in the league - for obvious reasons) Five years ago, we might have all laughed at that possibility.

Now, I don’t want this to mean that women lose opportunities, but I think it’s a good thing to have the NBA and WNBA sharing talent, as opposed to the WNBA being thought of as a stepping stone. And I think ultimately, if the thought processing is “sharing talent” more women will have opportunities in both leagues. And tbh, considering Hammon “started” it - that may end up being her most impactful legacy.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 10/16/23 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/16/23 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall about 20 years ago the Sun hired an NBA assistant with similarly meh resume and made him the highest paid coach in the league. He turned out OK.

PostPosted: 10/16/23 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
somebody probably knows a guy

Totally agree. He is an NBA guy so he probably won’t be in Phoenix very long. They really had to shell out some serious money for him to leave his assistant coaching position.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 10/16/23 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frankly, it's not a good look. My gut reaction (which may be totally off base) is that a condition of his move was to pay him a record amount. Does his résumé warrant that? Guess his prior salary was pretty decent, and he didn't want to feel like he was slumming. So it became a competition. Just spitballing, but his seeming lack of connection bothers me.

https://theathletic.com/4968816/2023/10/16/phoenix-mercury-nate-tibbetts-head-coach-hire/

Quote:
What does Tibbetts bring to the Mercury?
The answer to that remains a bit uncertain. Although Tibbetts has extensive experience in the NBA and has interviewed for NBA head coach roles in the past, he will join the WNBA for the first time when he takes over the Mercury job.

PostPosted: 10/17/23 6:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He has 10 years of assistant coaching experience at the highest level of basketball and this is somehow bad? Do you want to grow the game or not? I am sorry, but these positions aren't charity cases. Maybe he blew them away with his knowledge of the game, the W, his outlook, his strategies, and where he is going to take the franchise.

To me, the W has lacked two things, good officiating and good coaching. This should be a welcome addition, but instead, the fans think on emotion(I'm talking about twitter, not this board) and not with their brains.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/17/23 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking overnight and this morning why this irked some, and why it may not irk others.

On the not irk others:
Long-time coach
Knows basketball and coaching is coaching whether men or women
Sometimes you have to pay extra to get who you want
Becky didn't have any WNBA coaching experience or head coaching experience when she started
Owner seems to be wanting to bring in the best

Irksome:
Owner bringing in all men in a women's league. But is he looking at women hires too?
Becky had a long career in the league even though her coaching was in the NBA
Sometimes, if you really want a job, you have to take a pay cut sir
Were any women looked at or interviewed?
He has no head coaching experience, what makes him a big splash hire? Heck even the team he was coming from wasn't lighting it up. Becky at least trained under Pop, one of the best ever
After a week where baseball had a women interview for a manager job and the first woman GM get support after seeming to get screwed over by the Marlins (as many other GMs have previously sadly but that's another story), and 2 former players are coaching against each other in the WNBA finals, this just seems like some tone deaf bad timing.
I think it's the "highest paid coach in WNBA history" that does it. He doesn't seem worthy of that title. If he'd just been a hire it'd have been OK fine. But that qualifier being part of it is the irritant.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/17/23 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's possible that Phoenix had to outbid another NBA team for his services, and that's why they had to break the bank.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/17/23 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
It's possible that Phoenix had to outbid another NBA team for his services, and that's why they had to break the bank.

Perhaps they did but that doesn’t prove his value as a W head coach. What made this guy so qualified they felt the need to outbid to get him?

I’m glad the W is paying coaches better and getting (possibly) better talent. There’s just nothing about this guy’s resume that screams “must have” coach?

I’m sure he can and likely will be successful. I’m just very curious as it seems like an out of nowhere choice.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/17/23 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Perhaps they did but that doesn’t prove his value as a W head coach. What made this guy so qualified they felt the need to outbid to get him?

I’m glad the W is paying coaches better and getting (possibly) better talent. There’s just nothing about this guy’s resume that screams “must have” coach?

I’m sure he can and likely will be successful. I’m just very curious as it seems like an out of nowhere choice.

But the point is Phoenix was willing to spend money.

What is this idea that money shouldn’t be spent on women’s basketball? Why do WNBA fans consistently want people a part of the sport to take less money? It’s kind of crazy..

PostPosted: 10/17/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am fine with them spending money. That doesn’t mean he is worth that money. If this raises all boats, great, but I’m not convinced this would be a good hire even at the market rate for a W HC position. That’s my issue. I’m skeptical that he’s worth the price tag, that’s all.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/17/23 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much money an owner pays a coach should not concern your average fan. Professional sports is a business. An owner has the right to operate their business anyway they want to. Why should your average fan get upset about something they can not control?
Professional sports is about getting the best person to do the job. If you don't get the best people then your organization is not trying to win championships. As long as the owners are not doing something illegal or nefarious who cares?🙄

PostPosted: 10/17/23 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
How much money an owner pays a coach should not concern your average fan. Professional sports is a business. An owner has the right to operate their business anyway they want to. Why should your average fan get upset about something they can not control?
Professional sports is about getting the best person to do the job. If you don't get the best people then your organization is not trying to win championships. As long as the owners are not doing something illegal or nefarious who cares?🙄

I’m not upset. I’m skeptical. I don’t have anything to judge this guys ability on except for being an assistant on some mediocre NBA teams.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/17/23 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Exactly.

And in a new sports league like the W - having someone willing to spend a ton of money is good. Because that has the potential to start a trend.

Because the happiest person in the league upon hearing this news should have been Hammon. Why? Guess what Aces owners are going to have to do now? Laughing

PostPosted: 10/17/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m skeptical too.
I'm pleased that the owner is willing to spend some money. That's great. That's a luxury not all teams have. (I wish they did, so more of these dollars could be given to players rather than coaches)
I don't know the first thing about this guy so I can't question his ability. He might be a great fit for the job.
I hope he is, and that the selection criteria ended up pointing to him rather than being bent to squeeze him in.

Head coaching hires that make a majority react like "yeah great call, this is a no brainer" aren't exactly frequent so I don't see anything wrong with people having questions.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: