GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/14/23 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
I’ll say 2024 will be DT’s final year. The league will recognize all her accomplishments throughout the season, and she will be feted at the all-star game in Phoenix.

And don't forget, assuming she is physically capable of boarding the plane, Olympic gold medal #6 in Paris.

I believe she's definitely aiming for that 6th Olympic gold and that she'll then retire, deservedly as GOAT.

And the committee has already publicly stated she can be on the Olympic team as long as she wants, even though she wouldn't be a chosen for any other reason but legacy at this point.

Yup, just like Catchings was.

Taurasi has already had her legacy games in 2021, when she was three years older than Catch was for her last Olympics.

There's legacy and then there's LEGACY. No woman has ever won gold medals in six different Olympics and I believe only one man has, Hungarian fencer Aladár Gerevich.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/14/23 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:
I’ll say 2024 will be DT’s final year. The league will recognize all her accomplishments throughout the season, and she will be feted at the all-star game in Phoenix.

And don't forget, assuming she is physically capable of boarding the plane, Olympic gold medal #6 in Paris.

I believe she's definitely aiming for that 6th Olympic gold and that she'll then retire, deservedly as GOAT.

And the committee has already publicly stated she can be on the Olympic team as long as she wants, even though she wouldn't be a chosen for any other reason but legacy at this point.

Yup, just like Catchings was.

I'm curious when the committee chair said Catchings could play on the Olympic team as long as she wanted. I don't recall that.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/01/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/SkyDigg4/status/1708604612096430520

Quote:
Damn, it’s almost like Sandy is a good Coach? 🫠

PostPosted: 10/01/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/SkyDigg4/status/1708604612096430520

Quote:
Damn, it’s almost like Sandy is a good Coach? 🫠

Just another dig towards Nygaard.

PostPosted: 10/01/23 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

Hardly undeserved, I'd say.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
zune69

PostPosted: 10/01/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, SDS doesn't know when to shut up.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/01/23 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Hardly undeserved, I'd say.

I mean, she’s fired. Let it go.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/01/23 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I don't think you're familiar with how #HateHard works.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 10/01/23 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Or no one cares.

While I’m here - Damn, it’s almost like Sky can win a title. Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/01/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

So was this a shot at Nygaard or former management in Phoenix? Or both?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/01/23 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

THIS.

For real, what coach wants to deal with diarrhea of the mouth?

~rAf
shontay33

PostPosted: 10/02/23 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

What lies were told? Sandy is a great coach. This is why NY hired her! Y’all keep vilifying people for giving their opinions because you want to have someone to dislike. Stop with the narratives. Many of you have expressed disapproval and outright dislike of your superiors and managers on social media and even in the break rooms. So stop. Players have a right to their opinions just like you all do when you come on here and post your dislike of players and coaches!!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/02/23 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

What lies were told? Sandy is a great coach. This is why NY hired her! Y’all keep vilifying people for giving their opinions because you want to have someone to dislike. Stop with the narratives. Many of you have expressed disapproval and outright dislike of your superiors and managers on social media and even in the break rooms. So stop. Players have a right to their opinions just like you all do when you come on here and post your dislike of players and coaches!!

First. I LOVE Skylar and don’t want her to leave PHX. Is it a petty post, sure. But like, Mission Accomplished, Nygaard was run out of town.

I don’t think anyone ever said Sandy was a bad coach. PHX was just not getting over the hump. They had to try something different. It was a complete failure but they tried. I don’t think Sandy was the issue. PHX has dug themselves into poor roster construction and failed to capitalize off their 2014 success. Some of it in their control and some not in their control.

With how everything shakes out, they did Sandy a favor. Good for her.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/23 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

First. I LOVE Skylar and don’t want her to leave PHX. Is it a petty post, sure. But like, Mission Accomplished, Nygaard was run out of town.

I don’t think anyone ever said Sandy was a bad coach. PHX was just not getting over the hump. They had to try something different. It was a complete failure but they tried. I don’t think Sandy was the issue. PHX has dug themselves into poor roster construction and failed to capitalize off their 2014 success. Some of it in their control and some not in their control.

Brondello has nothing to do with this. This is about rebkellians feeling a way about Skylar Diggins-Smith throwing shade at Nygaard, as if it's unreasonable for her to still have hard feelings about it, and accusing her of having "diarrhea of the mouth," and saying that she should just "let it go." Which, and y'all's mileage obvious varies, sounds a little too much like "Shut Up and Dribble," to me.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/02/23 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

Brondello has nothing to do with this. This is about rebkellians feeling a way about Skylar Diggins-Smith throwing shade at Nygaard, as if it's unreasonable for her to still have hard feelings about it, and accusing her of having "diarrhea of the mouth," and saying that she should just "let it go." Which, and y'all's mileage obvious varies, sounds a little too much like "Shut Up and Dribble," to me.
👍🏿

PostPosted: 10/02/23 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

💯👍🏿

PostPosted: 10/02/23 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

👍🏿

👍👍👍👍

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/02/23 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

THIS.

Absolutely a false equivalency to “shut up and dribble” but go off.

What are these terrible awful things Nygaard did to her? She was an inept coach and made a foolish attempt at trying to praise Diana Taurasi. It’s not like she slapped Skylar across the face and shit in her locker.

Skylar has infinitely more capital in this league than Nygaard ever has or likely will have. She’s punching down and beating a dead horse. Nurse a grudge all you want but she looks foolish continuing to do so.

She’s already been vindicated and proven right.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/02/23 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Absolutely a false equivalency to “shut up and dribble” but go off.

What are these terrible awful things Nygaard did to her? She was an inept coach and made a foolish attempt at trying to praise Diana Taurasi. It’s not like she slapped Skylar across the face and shit in her locker.

Skylar has infinitely more capital in this league than Nygaard ever has or likely will have. She’s punching down and beating a dead horse. Nurse a grudge all you want but she looks foolish continuing to do so.

She’s already been vindicated and proven right.

Talk about false equivalency: since when are "terrible awful things" the baseline for whether or not you're allowed to have beef with somebody? Could Skylar have shown grace and not "sub-tweeted" Nygaard? Sure, but she doesn't owe Nygaard that, so why does it bother rebkellians that much? Is the Diggins-Smith hate so strong around here that, if it comes down to Skylar versus The Field™, y'all are rolling with The Field™, no matter who it is?

Plus, not for nothing but, if we're taking the tweet at face value, we don't actually know that she was sub-tweeting Nygaard, we just know that she was complimenting Brondello.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/05/23 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38572573/mercury-unveil-plan-new-practice-facility-hq-suns

Mercury are getting their own practice facility.

Gotta admit, I was terrified when I opened the article because I thought they were getting a Mystics situation.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/05/23 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

There's legacy and then there's LEGACY. No woman has ever won gold medals in six different Olympics and I believe only one man has, Hungarian fencer Aladár Gerevich.

They could pick any DIII freshman in college instead of Taurasi and still win. So it should be qualified as "team gold medal" since it won't be anything like someone winning 6 gold medals in 6 Olympics in an individual event.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 10/05/23 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38572573/mercury-unveil-plan-new-practice-facility-hq-suns

Mercury are getting their own practice facility.

Gotta admit, I was terrified when I opened the article because I thought they were getting a Mystics situation.

Their new owner seems to love basketball - and spending money for it. He’s on board with flying the team privately. And he’s talked about spending as much as he can wherever he can because the WNBA limits it. So this is him keeping his word.

PostPosted: 10/06/23 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Building that facility before the 2024 WNBA season seems incredibly fast, but it sounds like they're renovating an existing structure rather than building it from the ground up, which makes it much more plausible.

While they want to talk about all the many, many places that are interested in a WNBA team to make it sound like they can go anywhere and there's endless competition for teams, I think this is why expansion is taking (or has taken) so long. They want new owners in this kind of bracket, who are coming in at the high end with money to spend and who are willing to spend it. That makes the group of people who are actually prospective new owners - rather than just 'showing interest' - much, much smaller. And means we're still essentially in that era of 'teams will go where the owners are' rather than 'teams will go to our favourite city choice'.

PostPosted: 10/07/23 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Building that facility before the 2024 WNBA season seems incredibly fast, but it sounds like they're renovating an existing structure rather than building it from the ground up, which makes it much more plausible.

While they want to talk about all the many, many places that are interested in a WNBA team to make it sound like they can go anywhere and there's endless competition for teams, I think this is why expansion is taking (or has taken) so long. They want new owners in this kind of bracket, who are coming in at the high end with money to spend and who are willing to spend it. That makes the group of people who are actually prospective new owners - rather than just 'showing interest' - much, much smaller. And means we're still essentially in that era of 'teams will go where the owners are' rather than 'teams will go to our favourite city choice'.

This man is wealthy even for NBA owners. He’s also younger and played basketball in college (though I think a walk on). He’s made some very good business decisions already, in particular getting all of the games on local stations instead of Bally sports and then giving away small satellites for people who don’t have cable. They way to get people invested in teams is making games accessible and he put a lot of effort into it. I’m really hopeful for what he could do for the Mercury.

PostPosted: 10/08/23 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

They could pick any DIII freshman in college instead of Taurasi and still win. So it should be qualified as "team gold medal" since it won't be anything like someone winning 6 gold medals in 6 Olympics in an individual event.

Gerevich won gold medals in TEAM sabre in 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956 and 1960. He won an additional gold medal in individual sabre in 1948.

The point is, a lot of fans, and probably USAB, believe Taurasi should have the unique legacy chance to win more gold medals in Olympic basketball than anyone else in history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: