RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2024 Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/23/24 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Kitley should practice shooting 3's while she is injured because she needs that shot to play in the WNBA as center with her level of athleticism and wingspan.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of players of her type basically not make it at WNBA level. So I'm not sure she'd have been as highly drafted as some people think even without the injury. You either have to think that she's meaningfully better than those similar predecessors, or that there's just no one else good enough in the pool to take a shot on instead.

PostPosted: 03/23/24 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone is different. There shouldn’t be any generalizing here. Who has been similar to an ACC player of the year 4 out of the 5 years she’s played?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/23/24 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Everyone is different. There shouldn’t be any generalizing here. Who has been similar to an ACC player of the year 4 out of the 5 years she’s played?

Elissa Cunane.

PostPosted: 03/23/24 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Kitley should practice shooting 3's while she is injured because she needs that shot to play in the WNBA as center with her level of athleticism and wingspan.

Isn’t wingspan good for rebounding? It’s hard to rebound at the three point line.

People keep saying the same thing about Reese. “She needs to shoot the three.” She wants to shoot the three, but Mulkey is old school and would much rather have her rebounding for guards taking threes, probably because there aren’t many better than Reese at rebounding. She had 10 pts, 19 reb in last night’s game, and the media characterized it as a “bad game”. People tend to take rebounding for granted.

How come everyone but AThomas needs to shoot the three, and yet people want to consider her MVP-level? Wilson is another one who doesn’t take a lot of threes. Coaches would rather her not take the three.

I’ve been thinking Curt Miller might be one who doesn’t overly value three point shooting from his post players, since he’s coached AThomas for years. Might he pick Reese at #4? If not him, then I’m leaning towards the Mystics at #6. She’s a local product that followed a similar path to Shakira Austin. Thibault is probably very familiar with Reese.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/23/24 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Shades wrote:

Elissa Cunane.

She played in the ACC but never won ACC player of the year.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/23/24 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Shades wrote:

Elissa Cunane.

She played in the ACC but never won ACC player of the year.

You are correct. But Cunane's game is similar to Kitley's game.

PostPosted: 03/24/24 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:

Isn’t wingspan good for rebounding? It’s hard to rebound at the three point line.

To be clear, I am saying that it appears to me that Kitley doesn’t have elite wingspan for her height. When you shoot a three point shot you are out of rebounding position, but the same is true of a 15 foot shot. Hard to rebound from the foul line.

Quote:
People keep saying the same thing about Reese. “She needs to shoot the three.” She wants to shoot the three, but Mulkey is old school and would much rather have her rebounding for guards taking threes, probably because there aren’t many better than Reese at rebounding. She had 10 pts, 19 reb in last night’s game, and the media characterized it as a “bad game”. People tend to take rebounding for granted.

Reese can potentially develop a three point shot like Swin Cash did. Cash never shot beyond 5 feet in college as a four and was a small forward shooting threes when she began in Detroit. But on the other hand, Tamika Williams never shot beyond 5 feet in college and then did the same in the WNBA. Reese could also potentially develop a mid range jumper. Reese has the WNBA athleticism and decent size so she should be picked ahead of players who have the skill but not the athleticism or size.

Quote:
How come everyone but AThomas needs to shoot the three, and yet people want to consider her MVP-level? Wilson is another one who doesn’t take a lot of threes. Coaches would rather her not take the three.

You don't need to shoot threes if you can score well from inside the three point line. If Kitley can keep from being bullied in the post in the WNBA, she does have her fade away jumper that she does very well and I think would be unblockable. But I don't see her driving to the basket like Thomas or Wilson or doing low post moves like... Brionna Jones?? Having trouble thinking of which WNBA players play in the low post and do post moves (Wilson starts out back to the basket but I think she mostly does fadeaway jumpers after that)

Quote:
I’ve been thinking Curt Miller might be one who doesn’t overly value three point shooting from his post players, since he’s coached AThomas for years. Might he pick Reese at #4? If not him, then I’m leaning towards the Mystics at #6. She’s a local product that followed a similar path to Shakira Austin. Thibault is probably very familiar with Reese.

Reese's athleticism for her size should overcome her current outside shooting. Shooting can be developed. Athleticism and size cannot. She has to be at least in the top 6 although Gregg Bibb is quite capable of throwing away low draft picks on "skilled" or "inflated roster size" players. The Chicago guy is also an unknown.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/24/24 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a big fan of three-point shooting, I don't think a player like Angel Reese needs to shoot threes. But she does need to be able to hit a mid-range jumper so that her defender just doesn't camp in the paint or near the block.

If you are not a perimeter threat, you clog up the middle for the entire offense -- or just the opposite effect of having multiple three-point threats that draw the defenders further away from the basket.

PostPosted: 03/24/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Texas vs Alabama

Kind of impressed with Sarah Ashley Barker she is big and fast for a guard and plays hard. Her stats and percentages seem decent 16 ppg 3 apt 36% from 3 high 40s over all.

Any chance she could sneak into the 3rd round?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/24/24 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also the 2027 draft is going to be sick!

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 03/25/24 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earlier this year, perhaps closer to when Rickea was out and I was seeing more of Cameron Brink, I would have pegged Brink as a sure fire second pick - I always thought the likelihood of Paige returning to UConn for another season was high.

I think Brink is still “worthy” of the second pick, but since I have watched Kamilla and Rickea play more regularly and my take has become more clear.

I think that LA can leave the draft with maximum value by selecting Rickea in the two slot and then drafting whichever of Cam or Milla makes it to the fourth pick. Overall, I think Cam will be the better long term player than Kamilla but they are young and not separated by enough to make that clear. But if Rickea makes it to Chicago, they have to take her. Cam + Kamilla seems silly. Rickea + Cam/Kamilla seems optimal.

If Cam showed further development into a 4, it could have changed my mind. However, she has appeared to really hone back into her comfort zone in the post, which makes having she and Kamilla redundant for the time being.

I suppose there is always the chance someone else has their eye on one of these two and a a trade to propose, but I see no incentive for LA to take that.

PostPosted: 03/25/24 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Earlier this year, perhaps closer to when Rickea was out and I was seeing more of Cameron Brink, I would have pegged Brink as a sure fire second pick - I always thought the likelihood of Paige returning to UConn for another season was high.

I think Brink is still “worthy” of the second pick, but since I have watched Kamilla and Rickea play more regularly and my take has become more clear.

I think that LA can leave the draft with maximum value by selecting Rickea in the two slot and then drafting whichever of Cam or Milla makes it to the fourth pick. Overall, I think Cam will be the better long term player than Kamilla but they are young and not separated by enough to make that clear. But if Rickea makes it to Chicago, they have to take her. Cam + Kamilla seems silly. Rickea + Cam/Kamilla seems optimal.

If Cam showed further development into a 4, it could have changed my mind. However, she has appeared to really hone back into her comfort zone in the post, which makes having she and Kamilla redundant for the time being.

I suppose there is always the chance someone else has their eye on one of these two and a a trade to propose, but I see no incentive for LA to take that.

Ive been saying this for a while now and after watching Brink go up against Shaquille O'Crooks last night im still not convinced shes a sure fire #2 pick as ESPN kept saying last night awkwardly . If LA is smart Draft Rickea at #2 and choose who's left between Cardoso and Brink . Cardoso is the best post player in this draft who's pro ready period. Brink needs to get stronger STILL 4 years later . Iriafen is the best player on that team

PostPosted: 03/26/24 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been a Jackson doubter and Brink booster, but I can understand the shift in perception.

Looking at Jackson more, Tennessee uses her oddly on offense. She either posts up or gets the ball at the high post -- two spots that wouldn't seem to work for her nearly as well in the WNBA.

That said, her floor is pretty high. At the worst, she's Victoria Vivians, who played five years in the league and will probably be back somewhere this summer.

Her ceiling might be Rhyne Howard, but I just don't see the same perimeter game.

In short, how much impact will Jackson have playing in the paint in the W? Will the taller, more athletic posts limit her, or will she still be able to score as efficiently? If she makes threes, her ability to get to the rim opens up.

Brink is clearly an athletic four with speed and skill. She battled Audi Crooks' size and Crooks did not do well, but that may be more a reflection of Crooks than Brink.

As for her positioning in the Stanford offense, Tara has always loved the high-low set with two bigs. I don't think we've seen what Brink can do in a one-in setting. She may indeed struggle farther from the basket, but her skill set, to me at least, suggests otherwise.

Still, I can understand the doubts. Will Brink be neutralized by stronger posts? Can she be effective away from the basket? Will she continue to foul?

All that said, though, I think Brink is the surer bet of the two, It's possible that Jackson becomes a 35% three-point shooter and averages 20 a game in the W, and I don't think Brink's ceiling is that high. Of course, Brink's shot is smooth and she might develop a consistent long-range game as well.

PostPosted: 03/26/24 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I have been a Jackson doubter and Brink booster, but I can understand the shift in perception.

Looking at Jackson more, Tennessee uses her oddly on offense. She either posts up or gets the ball at the high post -- two spots that wouldn't seem to work for her nearly as well in the WNBA.

That said, her floor is pretty high. At the worst, she's Victoria Vivians, who played five years in the league and will probably be back somewhere this summer.

Her ceiling might be Rhyne Howard, but I just don't see the same perimeter game.

In short, how much impact will Jackson have playing in the paint in the W? Will the taller, more athletic posts limit her, or will she still be able to score as efficiently? If she makes threes, her ability to get to the rim opens up.

Brink is clearly an athletic four with speed and skill. She battled Audi Crooks' size and Crooks did not do well, but that may be more a reflection of Crooks than Brink.

As for her positioning in the Stanford offense, Tara has always loved the high-low set with two bigs. I don't think we've seen what Brink can do in a one-in setting. She may indeed struggle farther from the basket, but her skill set, to me at least, suggests otherwise.

Still, I can understand the doubts. Will Brink be neutralized by stronger posts? Can she be effective away from the basket? Will she continue to foul?

All that said, though, I think Brink is the surer bet of the two, It's possible that Jackson becomes a 35% three-point shooter and averages 20 a game in the W, and I don't think Brink's ceiling is that high. Of course, Brink's shot is smooth and she might develop a consistent long-range game as well.

I disagree , i think she will excel with her midrange game even more so in the WNBA with a better coach . Her 3 point shot is coming along FAST and she will definitely be an All star in her career .

Vivians is already signed to Seattle quickly..

Howard and Jackson's games do not compare only the Hair smh if anything Rickea can rebound like REALLY REBOUND , i see her ceiling being more so Satou Sabally Like.

No its a reflection of Brink her knock has been her strength since day 1 and she finally goes up against a strong mac truck somewhat likely that she would compete against in the WNBA and she flopped. Truth is truth Shaquille O'Crooks did not have a great game but Brink could not guard her at all thus the reason she fouled out pretty quickly. KiKi Iriafen is the best player on stanford's team and its been obvious all year but this is Brinks senior season and she deserves the glory but Stanford without Iriafen versus Stanford Without Brink its obvious whom they are better with than without .

PostPosted: 03/26/24 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boy, perceptions differ.

I thought Brink had little trouble with Crooks, who couldn't score at all.

My recollection, faulty no doubt, is that Brinks did not foul Crooks on more than one or two shot attempts. Her fouls came on other plays.

Now Brink will have trouble with bigger stronger WNBA posts, but that's true of Kamila Cardoso, Angel Reese and everybody else. The question is whether Brink's athleticism will be an issue for those posts in transition or away from the paint.

PostPosted: 03/28/24 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Boy, perceptions differ.

I thought Brink had little trouble with Crooks, who couldn't score at all.

My recollection, faulty no doubt, is that Brinks did not foul Crooks on more than one or two shot attempts. Her fouls came on other plays.

Now Brink will have trouble with bigger stronger WNBA posts, but that's true of Kamila Cardoso, Angel Reese and everybody else. The question is whether Brink's athleticism will be an issue for those posts in transition or away from the paint.

I recall in the 4th quarter and OT and most of the game Shaquille O'Crooks was guarded by Irafen who collected multiple blocks without fouling versus brink who play minimally because she was in foul trouble the entire game. So was irifafen but she managed it better and single handidly brought stanford to the s16. If anybody disagrees please show me the proof of how ? Overall im drafting Jackson at #2 and then rolling the dice on #4 being either Cardoso or Brink . I do not see that big of a gap to say Brink will be a better pro than an already proven Cardoso who plays nationally against the big gals and has been for years now and dominating them more than she does at SC. You know what your getting with Cardoso #Proready versus a >?? still for Brinks strength at her position we know she can block shots but at what rate can she do it in the WNBA where the average height is around 6-6ft 2 as well as phsyical . Question Question Question Exclamation Exclamation Idea Idea

PostPosted: 03/29/24 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Though I am more impressed with Jackson the more I see her, I'm still not sold she's a WNBA all-star. Right now, she scores inside and for the most part, defenses concede her the three. I don't think she will be able to just park on the left block and post people up like she does at Tennessee, or operate from the high post as effectively.

But I have been wrong before.

As for Cardoso, she will have international commitments every two years for Brazil and I believe does not count as an import in Europe, thus upping her salary there. Brink will be available more consistently, and the best ability is availability.

Still, we will see soon enough. I think Brink's athleticism and speed will allow her to do things at the pro level though most players her size cannot. Her lack of bulk is a weakness, but presumably more physical play is allowed in the W and fouls may be less of an issue.

PostPosted: 03/29/24 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Though I am more impressed with Jackson the more I see her, I'm still not sold she's a WNBA all-star. Right now, she scores inside and for the most part, defenses concede her the three. I don't think she will be able to just park on the left block and post people up like she does at Tennessee, or operate from the high post as effectively.

As for Cardoso, she will have international commitments every two years for Brazil and I believe does not count as an import in Europe, thus upping her salary there. Brink will be available more consistently, and the best ability is availability.

Still, we will see soon enough. I think Brink's athleticism and speed will allow her to do things at the pro level though most players her size cannot. Her lack of bulk is a weakness, but presumably more physical play is allowed in the W and fouls may be less of an issue.

This is fair clay k #Respect Exclamation Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/01/24 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cardoso coming out

https://twitter.com/Kamillascsilva/status/1774952874167894287

No lottery pick is going back for a 5th college season

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amoore entering the transfer portal. I am pretty sure I heard that on tonights NCAA broadcast

Who is left to decide

Broadcast said still waiting on Reese but I read on here she already hinted she was coming out

Van Lith needs another year would be shocked if she came out

Paopao?
does A. Lee have another possible season?
Donarski?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/01/24 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paopao is returning to college for her bonus year.

PostPosted: 04/02/24 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cardoso coming out

whatchu mean... what about ms bueckets?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/24 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
pilight wrote:
Cardoso coming out

whatchu mean... what about ms bueckets?

She's played three seasons. She's coming back for a fourth.

PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Amoore entering the transfer portal. I am pretty sure I heard that on tonights NCAA broadcast

Who is left to decide

Broadcast said still waiting on Reese but I read on here she already hinted she was coming out

Van Lith needs another year would be shocked if she came out

Paopao?
does A. Lee have another possible season?
Donarski?

Yes, it was said Amoore has entered the portal.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/02/24 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Ugh, you’re blaming Rickea for her placement on the court, when it’s KJH ‘s fault for not using all of her skills. If Rickea can score that well against SC all those games and throughout the tourney in Harper’s system with very limited help, she could be ridiculous at the next level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: