RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Player survey: Travel, salaries are league's top issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/23 8:45 am    ::: Player survey: Travel, salaries are league's top issues Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38273363/wnba-player-survey-2023-biggest-issue-league

Quote:
With ongoing requests for more charter flights, no one will be surprised travel came up as the primary issue for over 50% of surveyed players. But they also discussed the league's visibility, marketing and security. They called for franchise expansion, increased roster sizes and changes to the salary cap structure.

PostPosted: 08/28/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, shockingly, money and working conditions. Who'd'a thunk?

PostPosted: 08/28/23 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

LOL! You'd think these players were playing in 3rd world conditions and being forced to travel by bus. Like, do these players understand, I don't know, basic business models? If they can get more money into the league, by all means, give them the world, but it's just not there. You can't get blood from a rock, you just can't.

I wish they'd ask fans, because I am soooooo sick of the incessant whining, complaining, and entitlement from these players. On the roster expansions, why don't they start with forcing three players out of the league:

Riquana Williams
Kristi Tolliver
Chiney Ogwumike.

Riquana is an actual criminal and Kristi and Chiney have made an absolute mockery of being a WNBA player.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/28/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"We want more days between games, but we also don't like the prioritization rule" was also a hell of a takeaway.

Apparently we're now having Festivus in August. Nothing like an airing of grievances to get people excited about the stretch run.

PostPosted: 08/29/23 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

LOL! You'd think these players were playing in 3rd world conditions and being forced to travel by bus. Like, do these players understand, I don't know, basic business models? If they can get more money into the league, by all means, give them the world, but it's just not there. You can't get blood from a rock, you just can't.

I wish they'd ask fans, because I am soooooo sick of the incessant whining, complaining, and entitlement from these players. On the roster expansions, why don't they start with forcing three players out of the league:

Riquana Williams
Kristi Tolliver
Chiney Ogwumike.

Riquana is an actual criminal and Kristi and Chiney have made an absolute mockery of being a WNBA player.

he he he

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/23 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I wish they'd ask fans, because I am soooooo sick of the incessant whining, complaining, and entitlement from these players.

I suspect they feel entitled to be paid like a professional basketball player. Whether you’re male or female shouldn’t make a difference in this world.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/29/23 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:
I wish they'd ask fans, because I am soooooo sick of the incessant whining, complaining, and entitlement from these players.

I suspect they feel entitled to be paid like a professional basketball player. Whether you’re male or female shouldn’t make a difference in this world.

The rare topic in which @Shades and I are in agreement.

Many so-called sports fans seem to have a thinly-veiled contempt of professional athletes. and it shows.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ster II

PostPosted: 08/29/23 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow!! I really thought Richyyy was being sarcastic.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/30/23 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Shades wrote:
ucbart wrote:

The rare topic in which @Shades and I are in agreement.

Many so-called sports fans seem to have a thinly-veiled contempt of professional athletes. and it shows.

LOL! This has absolutely nothing to do with gender, but it has everything to do with revenue. What are they going to pay them with, Monopoly money? I am a business owner and I would love to pay my staff huge, massive salaries, but that's just not the way my business can operate and stay viable, and ya know, open!

You've twisted my words to fit your interpretation, instead of reading and understanding what I actually said. I'm not surprised in the slightest, nor am I surprised by the person who agreed with you.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/30/23 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't say anything about gender, I said athletes. But it's nice to know where your head is at.

And don't bother wasting both our time trying to maintain the lie that you don't have contempt for professional athletes: people who don't have contempt for professional athletes don't use words like whining and entitled to describe them.

ster II

PostPosted: 08/30/23 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Preach.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 08/31/23 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading the article, it didn't seem like it was unreasonable. They were asked what they would like to see and what they think would help the sport/league overall. This is no different than work surveys I've had to do before. They gave honest answers. I didn't get the feeling they thought they were playing in 3rd world conditions. I'm not sure where that hyperbole came from. I do think they should expand teams and/or roster spots as well. These younger players aren't getting the opportunities they used to because the league is stacked already. I hope they can expand and grow the league even more. I also hope they can implement some of the changes they've asked for.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/31/23 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I'm not sure where that hyperbole came from

It came from the media. Hyperbole is their stock in trade.

PostPosted: 08/31/23 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Sorry, I meant the hyperbole of the post saying "LOL! You'd think these players were playing in 3rd world conditions and being forced to travel by bus"

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/31/23 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We all know the league downplays their probability. All leagues do. The less money they make the less they can claim they have to pay the players. I find it interesting that a few years into the new CBA and doubled salaries and not one time has gone under and not one team is operating significantly below the salary cap. The players should advocate for what they want. The league has shown they can meet demands when pushed to the brink.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 08/31/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
pilight wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Sorry, I meant the hyperbole of the post saying "LOL! You'd think these players were playing in 3rd world conditions and being forced to travel by bus"

It seems probable that it came from a bad faith willful misreading of the source material.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: