0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/19/23 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
I was ready to she doesn't need to inspect arenas since the Wings play in an old small arena. But it turns out College Park Center at the University of Texas Arlington has only been open since 2012. And it seats 7,000, which is bigger than I remembered.

Reallly......the smallest arena in the league is in DC and yet you chose to shoot shots at Dallas because of what again ? Check the attendance thanks Rolling Eyes

The smallest venue in the league is, in fact, in Atlanta. And my interpretation of the so-called "shot" was that it was more about the mistaken belief that the venue was old than it was about it being too small.

Also, and I understand that 'team-first' fans are always going to stand up for their teams, but Wings fans seem to be hyper-defensive about their team, in a way that is unique to them, and I find myself wondering what that's about?

With the ut most respect "Keep wondering" the Hate hard was there you read it Very Happy Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/19/23 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Reportedly they looked at Ball Arena, where the Nuggets play, and Magness Arena, home of the Denver University Pioneers. Ball seats 18000, Magness 7200.

Interesting- this feels quite real. What do you think of the ownership group? Any ties to the NBA franchise? The Post article was behind a pay wall…just curious what you think

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/19/23 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
Reportedly they looked at Ball Arena, where the Nuggets play, and Magness Arena, home of the Denver University Pioneers. Ball seats 18000, Magness 7200.

Interesting- this feels quite real. What do you think of the ownership group? Any ties to the NBA franchise? The Post article was behind a pay wall…just curious what you think

Stan Kreonke, owner of the NBA’s Nuggets and the NHL’s Avalanche, is not involved.

Quote:
The investment team includes Robert Cohen, chairman and chief executive officer of IMA Financial Group; Navin Dimond, CEO and co-founder of Stonebridge Companies, a hospitality and hotel development company; and his daughter Ashley Dimond, who works as Stonebridge’s director of strategy, the source said.

Quote:
Bill Hanzlik, a former Denver Nugget and founder of the youth sports organization Gold Crown Foundation, said he has been involved with the investors as a potential non-profit partner.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/19/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As much heat as Englebert has taken about not expanding quickly, I think her PR has made it clear they want to expand but it comes down to viable ownership groups. I have a feeling she is being strict on vetting potential bids which is why it’s been a tight lipped process. We don’t need more shaky ownerships in this league and Cathy seems to want to position the league and these expansion teams for sustained success. I trust her process.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/19/23 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:
WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert will visit Denver, Colorado on Wednesday to meet with investors and tour potential facilities as the city vies for an expansion team, according to the Denver Post.

I was ready to she doesn't need to inspect arenas since the Wings play in an old small arena. But it turns out College Park Center at the University of Texas Arlington has only been open since 2012. And it seats 7,000, which is bigger than I remembered.

Reallly......the smallest arena in the league is in DC and yet you chose to shoot shots at Dallas because of what again ? Check the attendance thanks Rolling Eyes

The DC arena was built by and is owned by the Mystics owner. I was looking for an example of a non-NBA sized arena - unconnected to an owner - which would have allegedly gotten the approval of a past WNBA president, or would be a non-NBA arena reference for Englebert to use for her supposed decision to approve or disprove.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/29/23 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/08/29/as-wnba-expansion-push-grows-louder-bay-area-bidders-keep-quiet/

This is behind a paywall but I’m curious what it has to say.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The AASEG bid was backed by Silicon Valley Bank, which collapsed back in March. That's where Alana Beard was a senior associate.

PostPosted: 08/29/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The AASEG bid was backed by Silicon Valley Bank, which collapsed back in March. That's where Alana Beard was a senior associate.

Well that’s unfortunate. I wonder what would have happened if the collapse happened after they were awarded a team. That really sucks.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/29/23 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/08/29/as-wnba-expansion-push-grows-louder-bay-area-bidders-keep-quiet/

This is behind a paywall but I’m curious what it has to say.

Someone from the league is said to have come out and and done a "site visit" to the Warriors new San Francisco arena (turns 4 in September). The Oakland group would not comment if they came and looked at the old Warriors arena in Oakland. The San Francisco mayor asked the African-American Sports & Entertainment Group if they would consider a San Francisco site and they said they were concentrating on Oakland. (The SF mayor is trying to get a soccer stadium built where a vacant mall is.) San Francisco mayor London Breed is a black woman and the writer thinks it would benefit the Warriors to have her and her office involved in a competing bid because the Warriors management is all white men and the Oakland group is all black. The mayor said the Warriors have not mentioned bringing a WNBA team to the city. The public face of the Warriors owners, Joe Lacob, said in July that
San Francisco would be a "phenomenal" city for a WNBA team.

The Warriors had no new comments but "reiterated prior statements about a potential WNBA expansion team: Their interest in a team remains high, if the buy-in price and timing are right." They mentioned that Englebert said previously that it doesn't seem right the Bay Area doesn’t have a team.

It mentions Englebert publicly visiting Portland and Denver and thinks that makes them the frontrunners. Says per statements at the all-star game Englebert wants to announce before the end of the year and give the team and league 18 months to get ready.

The Oakland group (AASEG) bought the 50% of the Colesium complex (baseball stadium soon to be vacated by Oakland A's and Warriors old arena) the city of Oakland owned. It appears to imply the A's have the other fifty percent. But the A's pay rent and haven't committed to playing there between their lease expiring in 2024 and their new LasVegas stadium being built.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/27/23 5:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/4902855/2023/09/26/warriors-wnba-bay-area/

Wow. I’ll eat crow because I thought Lacob was full of hot air.

Per the article, the deal is not finalized but an announcement could come as soon as October.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/27/23 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What should we call the Oakland team?

I hope they'll be the Lasers and bring back Klik the Mouse as mascot

Warrioresses lol

Oakland Oak https://theleadsm.com/five-wnba-expansion-teams-and-what-they-could-look-like/

PostPosted: 09/28/23 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m surprised this isn’t generating more chatter here. This is a nearly official expansion announcement. Assuming it goes through (I can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t), does the league balance with a 2nd expansion team? Do they announce at the same time or stagger the announcements to give the teams their own time in the PR spotlight.

Here’s hoping for Philly!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/28/23 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We haven't had a multiple team expansion season since 2000, when four teams were added. All four were announced together on 7 June 1999. The 1998 and 1999 expansions, with two teams each, also saw a joint announcement. Much has changed in the decades since. I would guess the expansion teams would have separate announcements if there were more than one.

PostPosted: 09/28/23 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I asked chat GPT "What would be a good name for a WNBA team based in Oakland?" and got these answers....

Oakland Oaks: This name pays homage to the original Oakland Oaks basketball team that played in the American Basketball League from 1961 to 19633. It also reflects the city’s nickname of “Oak Town” and its abundance of oak trees.

Oakland Pride: This name celebrates the diversity and inclusiveness of Oakland, which is known for its vibrant LGBTQ+ community and culture. It also conveys a sense of confidence and strength for the team and its fans.

Oakland Rebels: This name captures the spirit of resistance and activism that has characterized Oakland throughout its history. From the Black Panther Party to the Occupy movement, Oakland has been a hub of social justice and progressive causes. It also suggests a fierce and fearless attitude on the court.

Oakland Stars: This name reflects the city’s reputation as a center of arts and entertainment, with many famous musicians, actors, and celebrities hailing from or living in Oakland. It also implies a high level of talent and performance for the team and its players.

PostPosted: 09/28/23 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m guessing they are working furiously to announce the Bay and Denver as expansion cities prior to the WNBA Finals - nervous to hear the news become official…next week?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/29/23 2:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Fog (like the horror movie)
The Bridge (like the bridge)
The Rush (Gold not the drug)
The Golden (maybe the drugs or the bridge)
The Kind (like the attitude or the bud)
The Red Woods (like the forest)
The Kelp (like the forest)
The forest (like the forest)
The Future (like AI)
The Whale Sharks (Like finding Dory)
The Pod (Like in tech, classes or whales)
The Sea Otters or The Otters or The Octopi (if you like alliteration and Because that cool aquarium is near by)
The Code (tech)
The Drive or Hard Drive (more tech and basketball term)
The Hackers (sticking with the tech and basketball theme)
The Current (because of the fast sea currents or tech)
The Quake, The Tremors or The Wild Fire (if you like natural disasters)
The Reign (play on neighboring Sacramento royalty and weather)
The Starship (like the Jeffersons)
The High, The Shrooms, The Diamonds or The Purple Haze (back on drugs)
The Valley (like silicone)
The Breeze (Like the Bay)
The Progress (Like how the WNBA likes non-plural concepts)

tfan

PostPosted: 09/29/23 4:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any precedent for a team having it's practice facility and "headquarters" city in the name as opposed to the city where it plays games?

It is unfortunate that the Oakland group trying to get a team likely led Lacob and company to decide they wanted all the pro basketball teams in the Bay Area. That is, without the Oakland effort the Warriors would still be thinking about it.

The Oakland group is half owners of the old arena and football/baseball stadium with the Oakland A's having the other half. They tried to buy out the A's (who are moving to Las Vegas) half and the A's said no.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/23 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Is there any precedent for a team having it's practice facility and "headquarters" city in the name as opposed to the city where it plays games?

The Jets and Giants of the NFL are named for New York but play in East Rutherford, New Jersey. The Los Angeles Angels of MLB play in Anaheim.

PostPosted: 09/29/23 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The San Francisco Aftershocks Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/23 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Splash, after the Splash Brothers

PostPosted: 09/29/23 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I’m guessing they are working furiously to announce the Bay and Denver as expansion cities prior to the WNBA Finals - nervous to hear the news become official…next week?

With the WNBA Finals coming up next week, I'm guessing the league will take the opportunity to make the formal announcement during the Finals, to gain as much publicity for the upcoming franchise.

PostPosted: 09/29/23 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oakland Amazons, as something approaching a female version of Warriors? (also nothing to stop them going with 'Golden State' for the women's team as well, I guess). Maybe you could also get Bezos and co to pay an extortionate amount to sponsor them as part of the deal Smile.

PostPosted: 09/29/23 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Oakland Amazons, as something approaching a female version of Warriors? (also nothing to stop them going with 'Golden State' for the women's team as well, I guess). Maybe you could also get Bezos and co to pay an extortionate amount to sponsor them as part of the deal Smile.

Their charter flights though would be on cargo flights with deliveries.

PRballer

PostPosted: 09/29/23 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
PRballer wrote:

With the WNBA Finals coming up next week, I'm guessing the league will take the opportunity to make the formal announcement during the Finals, to gain as much publicity for the upcoming franchise.

Yes I should have clarified “during” - or right at the start - to take advantage of the attention and buzz. Then you can have Team USA play some exhibition games, do camps in the market (or markets) in the lead up to Paris next season. Unveil the branding/logos/names next season.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/30/23 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

It is unfortunate that the Oakland group trying to get a team likely led Lacob and company to decide they wanted all the pro basketball teams in the Bay Area. That is, without the Oakland effort the Warriors would still be thinking about it.

The Oakland group is half owners of the old arena and football/baseball stadium with the Oakland A's having the other half. They tried to buy out the A's (who are moving to Las Vegas) half and the A's said no.

There’s a lot we just don’t know. The optics may look bad but tue truth is, how viable was the Oakland group really? Other than civic goodwill and good PR, were they financially viable? Thre fact everyone keeps citing their capital being tied up in Silicon Valley Bank makes me think they were on thin ice financially to begin with. It would be nice if Lacob brought them in as partners somehow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: