RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cavinder Twins Are "Disappointed and Disgusted"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/14/23 9:36 pm    ::: Cavinder Twins Are "Disappointed and Disgusted" Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"The subsequent article not only demeaned our athletic achievements and business accomplishments it furthered the narrative that hard-working, creative, and driven women can only do well if they are deemed attractive. … We are both disappointed and disgusted by this journalism practice and blatant sexist trope. We only wish to inspire young (women) to chase their dreams, work hard, dream big. Now we must also defend them against men that wish to sum their potential to physical appearance."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/06/14/cavinder-twins-disappointed-and-disgusted-by-recent-article/70321609007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 06/15/23 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They gained their fame and fortune by way of being Instagram thots. So did the Gonzalez twins. So did Olivia Dunne. None of these women did it from being the best at the sport. Only difference is that they embraced it and continue to profit. Not the Cavinders. They will learn the hard way. Can any of you name the young female gymnast who broke the all-time NCAA record this year for perfect 10s without Googling her name? Probably not because Dunne has stolen the spotlight. Bad on them for distancing themselves from what made them famous in the first place because it certainly wasn't their talent on the floor.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 06/16/23 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My opinion validated today. Hell, even Olivia Dunne agrees:

https://nypost.com/2023/06/15/cavinder-twins-arent-victims-theyre-control-freaks/

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/16/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:

https://nypost.com/2023/06/15/cavinder-twins-arent-victims-theyre-control-freaks/

As befits anything in the NY Post, the headline is not substantiated by the actual article. Also, Olivia Dunne did not "agree" with the headline at all. To sum up, the NY Post includes sensationalist headlines, the substance not even addressed in the actual article. And the person quoting the misleading headline from the NY Post further sensationalizes by the weak "Olivia Dunne agrees." Agrees with what? Just share you highly sexist opinion and stop with the NY Post style sensationalism. And, when stating a person agrees, specify what they agree with.

But I should expect more from a person who gets his arguments off a fake news show?

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/16/23 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

As befits anything in the NY Post, the headline is not substantiated by the actual article. Also, Olivia Dunne did not "agree" with the headline at all. To sum up, the NY Post includes sensationalist headlines, the substance not even addressed in the actual article. And the person quoting the misleading headline from the NY Post further sensationalizes by the weak "Olivia Dunne agrees." Agrees with what? Just share you highly sexist opinion and stop with the NY Post style sensationalism. And, when stating a person agrees, specify what they agree with.

But I should expect more from a person who gets his arguments off a fake news show?

Yup -

What’s missing from the article is the work every player is putting into their social media profile.

The twins don’t make nearly as much money as they do without their initial social media following - which they put in the work to get. And yes, being blonde and pretty and privileged helped them, but there are a lot of blonde and pretty and privileged girls. Not many have the business sense to do what they did.

And will more attractive people continue to get the benefits of the NIL..yes. Just like more attractive people get advertisements in general. The more attractive male athletes benefit too. It’s human nature.

What this is - is backlash to women capitalizing on their own body. Something men have made money from for centuries.

And outside of the twins..the players capitalizing the most..Angel, Paige, Hailey, and Azzi..are all wcbb stars. Caitlin has been left out some, but my guess is she won’t be after the tourament..and the reality is she didn’t participate in social media as much as the other girls, and she picked Iowa as a school - things that hurt the NIL.

PostPosted: 06/16/23 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For people saying you need to stay in school to maximize your NIL should note that the Cavinders did not hesitate to leave despite having eligibility remaining

PostPosted: 06/17/23 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Cavinder twins did a wonderful job of marketing themselves in a new business environment. In truth they are not the greatest basketball players nor are they the most beautiful women but they were able to find a niche that became an interesting story. They saw an opportunity to frame their story in a way that was neither exploitative nor overtly sexualized and it proved to be extremely lucrative. And remember, these are two young women who lived in Gilbert, AZ (about 30 miles outside of Phoenix) and then went to Fresno St, not exactly media capitals.

I applaud their business acumen. I am quite interested to see if they are able to maintain their success as influencers. I believe they will be but it seems as they move on from school and as they move closer to 25 they will have to adapt to their changing circumstances. There is no question that many people don't understand the new world of influencers (I certainly don't) and try to diminish their accomplishments. But the Cavinders are truly self-made women. And I wouldn't bet against their long term success.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/19/23 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The Cavinder twins did a wonderful job of marketing themselves in a new business environment. In truth they are not the greatest basketball players nor are they the most beautiful women but they were able to find a niche that became an interesting story. They saw an opportunity to frame their story in a way that was neither exploitative nor overtly sexualized and it proved to be extremely lucrative. And remember, these are two young women who lived in Gilbert, AZ (about 30 miles outside of Phoenix) and then went to Fresno St, not exactly media capitals.

I applaud their business acumen. I am quite interested to see if they are able to maintain their success as influencers. I believe they will be but it seems as they move on from school and as they move closer to 25 they will have to adapt to their changing circumstances. There is no question that many people don't understand the new world of influencers (I certainly don't) and try to diminish their accomplishments. But the Cavinders are truly self-made women. And I wouldn't bet against their long term success.

This is a fair analysis of their situation, imo. Their work efforts have been significant, but there are several key ingredients to their story, and their looks is one of those....they'd probably not have gotten too far had they only ever been seen in a Burka. And while their push-back against the theme of the article is legit, they're being a wee bit disingenuous in complaining too much, if they've accepted offers from Victoria's Secret - NOT related to their basketball skills now, is it? Razz (I can just see Brit or Stewie posing for Victoria's secret)

PostPosted: 06/19/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're talking about the same Breanna Stewart who was in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, right?

PostPosted: 06/19/23 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
We're talking about the same Breanna Stewart who was in the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, right?

Stewart and Griner and other WNBA players also appeared nude in the defunct ESPN Body Issue.
Howee

PostPosted: 06/19/23 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Stewart and Griner and other WNBA players also appeared nude in the defunct ESPN Body Issue.

All well and good, but (Queenie, especially!) we should know the difference between nudism, swimwear and Victoria's Secret lingerie! Razz

ANDDD....I don't think I've ever heard Brit or Bri ever complain about being sexually exploited by sponsors. But. Maybe I've missed something. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/19/23 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Queenie wrote:

All well and good, but (Queenie, especially!) we should know the difference between nudism, swimwear and Victoria's Secret lingerie! Razz

ANDDD....I don't think I've ever heard Brit or Bri ever complain about being sexually exploited by sponsors. But. Maybe I've missed something. Laughing

Victoria's Secret doesn't run to my size, so I know nothing about their lingerie. But as near as I can tell, the difference between lingerie and a swimsuit, especially one for SI, is artfully placed lace and maybe different fabric.

Maybe I misread your point; I thought you were saying that Stewart or Griner would never consider accepting a sexualized promotional opportunity, which the swimsuit issue definitely is (I'd even argue it's more of one than the Body Issue was, as the Body Issue poses were always grotesquely contorted to cover up the ~*~naughty bits~*~ because oh noes.)

PostPosted: 06/19/23 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The distillation of my *point* is merely this: if you accept sponsorships or promo gigs that are ALL ABOUT your female form, don't be shocked when the general public sees THAT as The Big Draw, and not your myriad other talents, as it were.

PostPosted: 06/20/23 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

This is a fair analysis of their situation, imo. Their work efforts have been significant, but there are several key ingredients to their story, and their looks is one of those....they'd probably not have gotten too far had they only ever been seen in a Burka. And while their push-back against the theme of the article is legit, they're being a wee bit disingenuous in complaining too much, if they've accepted offers from Victoria's Secret - NOT related to their basketball skills now, is it? Razz (I can just see Brit or Stewie posing for Victoria's secret)

Not the same but Stewie (and several other WNBA players) posed for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which is not exactly Good Housekeeping.
Don't some of the same professional models who pose in the swimsuit issue also pose for Victoria's Secret?

Howee

PostPosted: 06/20/23 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Not the same but Stewie (and several other WNBA players) posed for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which is not exactly Good Housekeeping.
Don't some of the same professional models who pose in the swimsuit issue also pose for Victoria's Secret?

I dunno 'bout that, but....again....I haven't heard any of the b-ball swimsuit models complaining about being sexploited.

PostPosted: 06/21/23 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
For people saying you need to stay in school to maximize your NIL should note that the Cavinders did not hesitate to leave despite having eligibility remaining

The twin that started want to stay but the bench player twin didn't wanted to play anymore. The twin that started couldn't play basketball unless her twin played too so she decided not play anymore either.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/21/23 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The twin that started want to stay but the bench player twin didn't wanted to play anymore. The twin that started couldn't play basketball unless her twin played too so she decided not play anymore either.

Well now I want to visit the timeline where the Cavinders decide to go their separate ways and each build a brand unto themselves, and see which one turns out to be more successful?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: