RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kim Mulkey Gets Statue at LaTech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/21/23 4:28 pm    ::: Kim Mulkey Gets Statue at LaTech Reply Reply with quote

Has any other WCBB coach ever gotten a statue while she or he was still actively coaching? Pat Summitt got statues at UTM and UTK about six and 18 months after she retired. Has any WCBB coach other than Mulkey and Summitt ever gotten a statue at all?
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/21/23 7:23 pm    ::: Re: Kim Mulkey Gets Statue at LaTech Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Has any other WCBB coach ever gotten a statue while she or he was still actively coaching? Pat Summitt got statues at UTM and UTK about six and 18 months after she retired. Has any WCBB coach other than Mulkey and Summitt ever gotten a statue at all?

https://www.abc57.com/news/muffet-mcgraw-to-receive-statue-in-her-honor

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/21/23 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody Conradt has a statue at Texas

https://alcalde.texasexes.org/2012/10/jody-conradt-honored-with-campus-second-statue-of-a-woman/

PostPosted: 09/21/23 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leon Barmore has a statue at La Tech

Last edited by pilight on 09/21/23 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 09/21/23 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Gunter has a statue at LSU

PostPosted: 09/21/23 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kay Yow has a statue at NC State

PostPosted: 09/25/23 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quite interesting. I see they went with "Kim the BB player" theme. D'ya think she gave them any input into how the design might go, or was it just "S'PRIZE!!!!" ?

PostPosted: 09/25/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Quite interesting. I see they went with "Kim the BB player" theme. D'ya think she gave them any input into how the design might go, or was it just "S'PRIZE!!!!" ?

What other kind of statue would you expect La Tech to give her. She hasn't been their head coach.

PostPosted: 09/25/23 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

What other kind of statue would you expect La Tech to give her. She hasn't been their head coach.

HAHA! I was confusing LaTech with that....that *other* school. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 09/25/23 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She needs to have a leopard skin jacket and a pink boa to be authentic

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/26/23 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although Mulkey was an assistant and associate coach at LaTech from 1985 to 2000, her statue was of her as LaTech's All-American point guard, who led the team to two national championships.

She is not known to have worn leopard skin jackets or pink boas as a player. In fact, the vivacious and glamorous Mulkey has been a high fashion icon for decades.

However, it was perhaps gauche of her to attend her statuesque unveiling wearing LSU purple. She should have worn LaTech light blue as she did (above) in winning the 2005 National Championship.

tfan

PostPosted: 10/28/23 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if this has been posted before but this just came up on my YouTube feed. Mulkey playing in the 1983 NCAA semi finals.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hySF4tjnGM?si=z9gXKv3IzF1ztYfO" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Howee

PostPosted: 10/28/23 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was very cool to see - I don't believe I'd ever seen it before. As good as Kim and her team were (as well as USC's) I think there's a couple of teams that most likely could crush either one if. It's amazing to see how much the individual and team talent has grown over the decades.

PostPosted: 11/08/23 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Although Mulkey was an assistant and associate coach at LaTech from 1985 to 2000, her statue was of her as LaTech's All-American point guard, who led the team to two national championships.

Strictly speaking, I don’t think Kim was ever All-American at guard. She was academic all-American but I think others won the AA award. Largely that was because Tech had two point guards for most of her career and there is something of a practical limit of how many players from one team can be AA.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/08/23 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Strictly speaking, I don’t think Kim was ever All-American at guard. She was academic all-American but I think others won the AA award.

You're right. I relied on Wikipedia and they're wrong. Mulkey was a two-time Academic All-American, and in 1984 was also the first winner of the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award.
Michael

PostPosted: 11/13/23 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

She is not known to have worn leopard skin jackets or pink boas as a player. In fact, the vivacious and glamorous Mulkey has been a high fashion icon for decades.

However, it was perhaps gauche of her to attend her statuesque unveiling wearing LSU purple. She should have worn LaTech light blue as she did (above) in winning the 2005 National Championship.

I get it. After her playing days and 15 years on the bench behind Leon Barmore LaTech told her she was not good enough to be their coach. I get her rubbing their noses in it a little bit.

PostPosted: 11/13/23 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Strictly speaking, I don’t think Kim was ever All-American at guard. She was academic all-American but I think others won the AA award.

You're right. I relied on Wikipedia and they're wrong. Mulkey was a two-time Academic All-American, and in 1984 was also the first winner of the

Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award.

That picture. Tell me Van Lith isn't her mini-me.

PostPosted: 11/13/23 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Don't know if this has been posted before but this just came up on my YouTube feed. Mulkey playing in the 1983 NCAA semi finals.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9hySF4tjnGM?si=z9gXKv3IzF1ztYfO" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was a GREAT game! The game that made me a huge Cheryl Miller fan. I believe that was when only the NC game was televised (though they might have added the FF by then). A few years later, they aired the entire EE - all four games one right after the other on one day. Such progress to be able to watch 7 games in a season. They'd just begun to air most of the tournament when the WNBA started in 1997. Some perspective for the youngsters, unaware that most women's basketball games were invisible to the public.

~rAf
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 11/13/23 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I get it. After her playing days and 15 years on the bench behind Leon Barmore LaTech told her she was not good enough to be their coach. I get her rubbing their noses in it a little bit.

That is inaccurate. Tech offered her the job. Offered her a four year contract. She chose Baylor instead. Totally her choice.

Michael

PostPosted: 11/15/23 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Michael wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

That is inaccurate. Tech offered her the job. Offered her a four year contract. She chose Baylor instead. Totally her choice.

Yeah, they offered her a four year with no buyout and a low ball salary. She told them 5 year standard contract that showed they believed in her and LaTech declined.

PostPosted: 11/15/23 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't offering four years versus five years also screw up something with... I forget if it was her pension, her 401k, or something else for post-coaching income?

PostPosted: 11/15/23 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Didn't offering four years versus five years also screw up something with... I forget if it was her pension, her 401k, or something else for post-coaching income?

It didn't guarantee her making 20 years. She would have needed one more year (but only one more year in Louisiana). Not much self-confidence to believe she wouldn't get even one year in extension.

And no way was it a low ball salary. She would have made more than the men's coach and nearly what the football coach was making. A lot of Tech fans thought they were overpaying for a women's coach even with Barmore, who was already a proven commodity.

What I've noticed about Kim is that she is extremely loyal--until she doesn't get exactly what she wants. Then she's less so.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/15/23 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
What I've noticed about Kim is that she is extremely loyal--until she doesn't get exactly what she wants. Then she's less so.

The "what she wants" part is pivotal, I'd say. I mean, she HAS proven over the decades that she accomplished more than any of those other coaches you mentioned from LaTech. I'd say she's loaded in the Self-Confidence department, and if LaTech wanted to quibble with her over one year in a contract negotiation, she did well to stand up for herself and believe she could (and DID) do better elswhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: