RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women’s Final 4 bigger than ever but still being held back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think combining the Women's and Men's Final Fours by holding them at the same location would be a good idea?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 20

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/04/23 11:47 pm    ::: Women’s Final 4 bigger than ever but still being held back Reply Reply with quote

https://frontofficesports.com/future-of-womens-final-four/

Quote:
“I think there’s a natural ceiling for the women’s Final Four,” Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman, who previously served as WNBA Commissioner and president of USA Basketball, told FOS. ...

The women’s and men’s Final Fours are hosted on the same weekend in completely different locations, putting the women’s tournament “up against the men’s in every way, shape, or form,” Ackerman said last year. ...

Ackerman believes combining the Final Fours is the key to fostering unencumbered growth for the women’s event. She acknowledged the demographic of women’s fans is much less corporate, and more diverse, than the men’s. But she believes “it’s a way to win over a whole new audience of writers and sponsors and fans.”

The NCAA’s gender equity review, commissioned in 2021, agreed with her position — especially given the current sponsorship contract. A similar location would allow brands to support both tournaments at a lower cost.

NCAA committees — on the men’s and women’s sides — ultimately decided against it for at least the next decade after conducting research in the fall of 2021. The committees noted they wanted to see how other equity improvements panned out first.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/05/23 8:22 pm    ::: Re: Women’s Final 4 bigger than ever but still being held Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
https://frontofficesports.com/future-of-womens-final-four/

Quote:
“I think there’s a natural ceiling for the women’s Final Four,” Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman, who previously served as WNBA Commissioner and president of USA Basketball, told FOS. ...

The women’s and men’s Final Fours are hosted on the same weekend in completely different locations, putting the women’s tournament “up against the men’s in every way, shape, or form,” Ackerman said last year. ...

Ackerman believes combining the Final Fours is the key to fostering unencumbered growth for the women’s event. She acknowledged the demographic of women’s fans is much less corporate, and more diverse, than the men’s. But she believes “it’s a way to win over a whole new audience of writers and sponsors and fans.”

The NCAA’s gender equity review, commissioned in 2021, agreed with her position — especially given the current sponsorship contract. A similar location would allow brands to support both tournaments at a lower cost.

NCAA committees — on the men’s and women’s sides — ultimately decided against it for at least the next decade after conducting research in the fall of 2021. The committees noted they wanted to see how other equity improvements panned out first.

Seems like a silly idea to me. If they want to stop being "up against the men's in every way" the logical answer would seem to be to change weekends.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/06/23 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so we're going to grow the game by placing ourselves more directly in the shadow of men's basketball and give off the impression that the women are leeching off the men?

PostPosted: 04/06/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Val is much smarter than me and knows the ins and outs of the sport far better than I do, but IMO she's wrong on this one.

PostPosted: 04/07/23 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like a great way to alienate the women's fans and have the women play in front of a lot of empty seats disguised as men's fans. Unless you are going to ticket them differently in which case you are penalizing wbball fans by paying for the inflated prices a men's FF commands on hotel rooms and all the other surrounding amenities and pricing a lot of them out of the market. I see ZERO upside to this idea from the perspective of fans and players and only for sponsors and NCAA trying to find a way to leech more money into the men's FF by adding some additional content.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: