RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What will you remember from the 2022-23 season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/23 8:51 am    ::: What will you remember from the 2022-23 season? Reply Reply with quote

As a counterpart to the "What are you looking forward to in 2023-24?" thread, I thought this thread might be nice too.

I also got the idea from a comment in the Iowa/LSU game thread that Iowa "blew it." It's definitely a crappy feeling to get completely outplayed when you're so close to a championship. But heck, if you'd told me back in October or even back in early March that Iowa would be playing in the national championship game, I would have taken that in a heartbeat! Or, in an alternate universe where Iowa loses a competitive game to a superior South Carolina team -- as everyone expected -- I don't think we'd be saying Iowa "blew it." We'd just be tipping our caps to a deserving South Carolina and congratulating Iowa what still would have been a historic run.

So what will I remember from this season?
--Iowa reaching it's first Final Four in 30 years.
--Iowa being the only team to beat #1 South Carolina all season.
--Monika Czinano playing one of the best games of her career against the most outstanding post defenders in the country.
--Iowa winning the season series against Maryland and Ohio State on their way to repeating as Big Ten tournament champs.
--Gabbie Marshall breaking out of a horrific shooting slump to shoot over 50% from 3 in postseason play.
--Hannah Stuelke showing she's an elite rim runner and rebounder and winning Big Ten 6POY.
--Iowa being the only team to beat a **full-strength** Indiana team all season.
--Lisa Bluder getting her first career wins over AP #1 ranked and #2 ranked teams.
--Iowa going 3-0 against in-state rivals.

A few things non-Iowa related:
--Ohio State upsetting UConn in the Sweet 16.
--Indiana having their best regular season ever.
--Washington State winning the Pac 12 tournament.

I invite others to share memories of their favorite teams or from the season in general!

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/04/23 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/04/23 9:54 am    ::: Re: What will you remember from the 2022-23 season? Reply Reply with quote

For Purdue ... Finally making the tournament again, for the first time in six years.

The high point was beating ranked Illinois and Ohio State back-to-back on the road. First road wins against ranked teams in several years.

Two more steps in making the program relevant again after years wandering around in the Versyp wilderness.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/04/23 11:15 am    ::: Re: What will you remember from the 2022-23 season? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
For Purdue ... Finally making the tournament again, for the first time in six years.

The high point was beating ranked Illinois and Ohio State back-to-back on the road. First road wins against ranked teams in several years.

Two more steps in making the program relevant again after years wandering around in the Versyp wilderness.

I've really liked what I've seen from Katie Geralds the past two seasons. 2 of the 3 games vs Iowa in that time have been quite close! I was rooting strongly for them in the NCAA tournament game this year.

PostPosted: 04/04/23 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Stanford:
-having all those good posts so there was never a worry about that position.
-having several very young but quite promising guards and watching them improve as the season went on.
-watching Brink and Jones play off one another.
-unfortunately ...losing at home in the NCAAs

For the PAC in general, it was a good season with lots of parity, although none ultimately went beyond the round of 16. I enjoyed having Pili on my fantasy team. What an amazing athlete for her size. If only she were 4 or 5 inches taller! There are some players that are just fun to watch. Like Charlisse too!

- in general, having fun with the banter and basketball friendship among the fantasy crew.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/23 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two unforgettable positive remembrances:

1. Caitlin Clark's combined scoring, assisting and FTM brilliance, which I believe to be unsurpassed in WCBB (and probably MCBB) history. Clark's Dunninger-like two-man games with Czinano are part of this positive memory.

2. Kim Mulkey's team rebuilding and turnaround brilliance, which I believe to be unsurpassed in WCBB (and probably MCBB) history. I'll also positively remember the fun-loving flamboyance of her NCAAT fashions, as I've always recalled her 2005 NC game outfit.

A negative remembrance will be the up-and-down frustration of watching what, in retrospect, I consider to be the weakest UConn team since 2005, and which only reached that level of competence because of very positive contributions from two portal transferees, Senechal and Juhasz. The many injuries to UConn will also be integral to that negative remembrance.
blaase22

PostPosted: 04/04/23 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cupcake schedules don’t matter if you get lucky and get all the breaks in post season.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/04/23 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Duke:
- being unranked pre-season
- predicted to finish middle of the ACC
- having a chance to win the ACC regular season title on the last day of play
- having 3rd best defense in the country
- having one of four finalists for NDPOY (the only guard to make the final four)
- earning a 3 seed in the NCAA
- one win away from making the Sweet Sixteen

Overall, this team WAY overachieved compared to predictions based on personnel available to play. The team was better than the sum of the parts and that's due to coaching.

~rAf
Phil

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Cupcake schedules don’t matter if you get lucky and get all the breaks in post season.

Wow, that's an interesting take.

I say this as someone who is been very critical of LSU's scheduling approach, and thought it would jump up and bite them. It didn't, because they are that good. While I don't doubt that one could point out a few breaks they got, I'm not about to tarnish their championship by claiming it was because they got the breaks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: